Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
i know this is an apple forum but wow so many people in denial and sticking their head in the sand

blooming is not acceptable and i will never buy a product with Mini LED. if Apple is going to be putting this in future iPads (11", Air, etc) and MacBooks then I won't be buying them. They should be using OLED which is far superior. Micro LED is the real end goal right now which should be better than OLED but that seems a long way off yet.
I think most of us are just appreciating the upgrade. I noticed some blooming while watching HDR movies over the past few days but overall the experience is vastly better than the same display we've been getting since 2017 that's still included in the 11'. The new 12.9 is miles ahead of the old one.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
i know this is an apple forum but wow so many people in denial and sticking their head in the sand

blooming is not acceptable and i will never buy a product with Mini LED. if Apple is going to be putting this in future iPads (11", Air, etc) and MacBooks then I won't be buying them. They should be using OLED which is far superior. Micro LED is the real end goal right now which should be better than OLED but that seems a long way off yet.
Did you try one of the new 12.9”?

I own multiple OLED devices and now a mini led iPad Pro. It’s great

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I just went into the bathroom (windowless) to try in the dark, yes I can see some glow around the red balls, but it's seemingly lower than some of the posts I've seen online.

Only really is obvious if looking for it, and brightness is 30-50%, higher brightness is less, and lowest brightness it isn't noticeable.

I also looked at the stopwatch which someone posted in the clock app, and honestly I can't tell.

It's definitely not OLED, but it's a lot nicer than my last 10.5".

arian71

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
Moon, and safe from the ban
Since we all have the same iPad, watch this video at the 0:51 and pause there where the red balls are flying with a background. At 35% to 45% I can very clearly see the bloom just as bad as the photos appear.

‘what I found interesting, is if you lay it flat on a table and take several steps back, the blooming gets even worse, as worse as the photos that I’ve seen

blooming all over the place !
every colour bloom , not just the whites, clearly can see yellow, red bloom by the top bottom edges of the screen.
Disgrace Apple !

• Haha
Reactions: JBGoode

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I found that the drums and keyboards being played offbeat from the music playing to be more annoying than any “blooming.” In fact, I didn’t see any blooming on my device!
I swear it was a different song than what those musicians were playing. The sax fingerings didn’t match the music being played.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
It’s actually spreading… I just stepped outside into this (please be aware this during daylight. Will return tonight for another shot to post here):

7D66D4A7-92DF-489D-9E37-0E17CCD77ADC.jpeg

#bloomdemic21 ?

Reactions: Danae02

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
So I watched it again in total darkness and still think that its not a problem. the picture actually looks even better lol.

sure, an OLED wouldn’t have any blooming, but I simply don’t notice it watching a video

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Trying using the reddit app in dark mode, blooming everywhere it’s distracting.

That or if you do reading with dark mode on anything.

Reactions: sorgo †

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Trying using the reddit app in dark mode, blooming everywhere it’s distracting.

That or if you do reading with dark mode on anything.
Always use my iPad in dark mode at night at 30-40% brightness, no issues what so ever, these people must be cranking up their brightness to max, even oled will have blooming in dark mode at high to max brightness,

Video above proves what people are seeing online is fake due to overexposed photos and videos, he even says that and proves it in the video.

Reactions: haruhiko

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Since we all have the same iPad, watch this video at the 0:51 and pause there where the red balls are flying with a background. At 35% to 45% I can very clearly see the bloom just as bad as the photos appear.

‘what I found interesting, is if you lay it flat on a table and take several steps back, the blooming gets even worse, as worse as the photos that I’ve seen

Know that this is caused by the glass layer on top of the LCD. As with any other OLED TV‘s out there like I have, you will see it if you look closely. But it is not distracting at all compared to an LED TV with limited dimming zones. And by the way, I paused the video where you said to and I cannot see distracting blooming. It’s slightly there yes but not as exaggerated as the the photos floating around.

Your viewing distance will also influence this as you’ve experienced. Also, wearing glasses can exaggerate the blooming effect.

This is the limitation of the current glass technology and these new iPad screens are not at all any worse than ones with dead pixels, clouding, uneven black uniformity or clouding and grey blacks. I’ll take Mini-LED technology against ordinary LED anytime.

Until we see LED lights that don’t need a glass layer on top, I’m afraid we will keep seeing very slight blooming.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Yeah let’s turn everything to the extreme so that nobody will have the same settings in real life and SEE! THERE IS BLOOMING, THE SKY IS FALLING DOWN! BLOOM-GATE! THE OLD LCD SCREEN IS THE BEST! THE WHOLE SCREEN HAS LIGHT LEAK, NO BLOOMING!

30% to 45% brightness is not extreme. Those conditions are easily met in any indoor scenarios, it doesn’t even need to be in a fully dark room. Unless you just saw my thread title and immediately went to defend the display without even reading what I said… which just goes to show your Apple bias if that was the case.

I did what you said in the op and I still didn’t see anything bad ??

I could do it again in complete darkness but I rarely use my iPad in complete darkness. I have to remember to do it tonight

Maybe try removing your rose tinted glasses as well. jk, I don’t really care If you see it or not. Though it would be disingenuous to say you don’t see blooming at all. It’s what mini LED is anyway.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
30% to 45% brightness is not extreme. Those conditions are easily met in any indoor scenarios, it doesn’t even need to be in a fully dark room. Unless you just saw my thread title and immediately went to defend the display without even reading what I said… which just goes to show your Apple bias if that was the case.

Maybe try removing your rose tinted glasses as well. jk, I don’t really care If you see it or not. Though it would be disingenuous to say you don’t see blooming at all. It’s what mini LED is anyway.
I’m good thanks. Tried it again with transparent glasses in a dark room and still don’t notice anything special. Screen is still great.
But I’m not sure how the rose tint in my Apple glasses affects blooming anyway

From now on I’ll watch stuff after capturing my iPad with a phone camera in total darkness nicely overexposed. I think that’s how it works

Last edited:

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
Personally I think people are too picky, sure there are visible dimming zones, but they're not really a big deal unless you decide to make them a big deal.

Nothing is perfect, not even the iPad Pro.

As for MaxTech... pfft, I think their staff seems really nice, they're accessible and produce a quality product, but their bias is ridiculous. The screen in his iPad could be on literal fire and he would be saying "Wow! How is this even possible! Look at the contrast!"

Aiii83

macrumors member
May 13, 2021
As for MaxTech... pfft, I think their staff seems really nice, they're accessible and produce a quality product, but their bias is ridiculous. The screen in his iPad could be on literal fire and he would be saying "Wow! How is this even possible! Look at the contrast!"
I don't know if this true or not, as I'm not that familiar with Max Tech, but this video seems perfectly honest to me. They go pretty in depth into the how and why's, their reasoning is sound, and most importantly it's honest about real life scenario's rather than clickbait. It's not denying blooming exists, but it's giving an honest account of when and how you might see and notice blooming. Like when he looks at the HDR video, and is honest about how you notice blooming around play buttons, etc, while not really seeing it in the video, that's the kind of experience I would describe too if you'd ask me about it. The parts between photo versus "what you actually see with a pro camera" is spot on, because that's what you actually see, I'm sure other users can confirm that as well.

It's up to the viewer to decide whether blooming is an issue for them or not, but this video I bet is a lot closer to what users actually experience than, for instance, the photo that topped the MacRumors article.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.