Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
The company has been exploiting customers making them think that they are buying a laptop replacement...
Strange, I do not see that propaganda at all. The best marketing take on the iPad is "Maybe your next computer is not a computer". It means that instead of a traditional Mac, you maybe able to use a iPad (or smartphone) instead and for many that is true. It does not mean that iPad is going to be a one to one feature replacement for a Mac and what would be the point of that?
And I don't actually see accepting the iPad for what it is as complaining. Saying how awesome it would be to marry the best hardware (iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil 2) with the best software (MacOS) isn't complaining to me, it's wishing--as in it won't happen, but it would be so cool if it did.
I can see the point of that wish. The laptop format is 30 years old and can be perceived stale compared to the slicker and more versatile iPad. A dual boot would be better than changing the iPadOS too much.
Fair enough. Excepting you, I often don't see that from people on that side of the fence. It's, git gud on iPad, noob. Change your workflows and then everything magically will work.
A humble "for me" from both sides would make the discussions less polarised and much more rewarding. Humans have by nature a tribe mentality which is so strong and unpolished on the internet which leads to polarisation.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
- A MacBook that had a hinge that allowed it to act as a tablet and incorporated things like a touch screen, 5G, iPad apps, would be very cool some day.

- If you want this future device so much that you can't get the idea out of your head, for the foreseeable future you will probably only be happy if you have both the laptop you want and the iPad you want, despite that being a very expensive combination.

Both these things can be true at the same time, and being able to see this would probably stop a lot of the arguments here. I'm on an 11" M1 iPad Pro and a 16" M3 Pro MBP. It's expensive, but I am truly content with my setup in a way that I never was before.

A humble "for me" from both sides would make the discussions less polarised and much more rewarding. Humans have by nature a tribe mentality which is so strong and unpolished on the internet which leads to polarisation.

Absolutely, there are some people who frequent these discussions who interpret any discussion of the iPad's limitations as a personal attack. It's bizarre - you can't even have a conversation.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
So, another ‘I wish Apple would make the iPad into a Mac because I should have just bought a MacBook Air’ threads. *sigh*

The iPad Pro is a digital Swiss Army knife. Its capabilities outweigh its weaknesses but if you’re not using them you’re going to feel short changed.

Just sell it and get an M2 MacBook At instead. You’ll be a lot happier my friend.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
The iPad Pro is a very very niche device for the price and feature set. If you aren't using the large screen, or Lider (or whatever it's called), and you don't know why you need an iPad Pro; then you don't need it.

An iPad Air works just as well as the Pro.

For your use case, I don't think an iPad would work well as a main device :( I recommend an MacBook Air.

Reactions: Basic75 and Ctrlos

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
Well, Apple will program compromised into macOS around their stupid notch on the MBP, but they won’t program compromises around detaching a screen from a keyboard.
They just believe that selling you two devices is better than one. It’s in their DNA (after some mutations over the past decade) and they will hold on to that disposition until (if) product people take over again.
They are currently trying to enter new markets instead of innovating in the markets they are already in. All talk of “this market is saturated, nothing left to do” is merely rhetoric to protect their their status quo revenue stream.

I tried to make the iPad work for me so many times and it never worked out for me. Eventually always ended up as “just another device I need to charge”. My M1 MBAir is just too good (and a 15 Pro does the rest). The iPad was always a device I bought to get me out of compromises I was making with the MB+phone combo and always made me get into new compromises. I just learned to live with what I have (and cannot do without).

My advice is to just let the iPad go and try not to fantasize about how it would make your life easier. Any improvements it comes with end up introducing new troubles.

Reactions: Alameda

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
If I don’t get my dream of a macOS iPad Ultra, then this is what I will do as well. Cheap iPad ftw…
I also would like to have Mac OS on the iPad Pro. The perfect implementation for me would be to have Mac OS enabled when the iPad is being used as a desktop hooked to external monitor, keyboard, and mouse or trackpad....and revert to iPad OS for tablet mode. If they can't do it this way, how about something like VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop, again giving us the ability to use either iPad OS or Mac OS, and possibly Windows for those use it.

That would be my dream iPad Pro setup.
Please2.gif

In the meantime it's Jump Desktop Connect for Mac OS, or MS Remote Desktop for Windows.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Well, Apple will program compromised into macOS around their stupid notch on the MBP, but they won’t program compromises around detaching a screen from a keyboard.
They just believe that selling you two devices is better than one. It’s in their DNA (after some mutations over the past decade) and they will hold on to that disposition until (if) product people take over again.
They are currently trying to enter new markets instead of innovating in the markets they are already in. All talk of “this market is saturated, nothing left to do” is merely rhetoric to protect their their status quo revenue stream.

I tried to make the iPad work for me so many times and it never worked out for me. Eventually always ended up as “just another device I need to charge”. My M1 MBAir is just too good (and a 15 Pro does the rest). The iPad was always a device I bought to get me out of compromises I was making with the MB+phone combo and always made me get into new compromises. I just learned to live with what I have (and cannot do without).

My advice is to just let the iPad go and try not to fantasize about how it would make your life easier. Any improvements it comes with end up introducing new troubles.
100% of the innovation that needs to happen in all Apple's markets is entirely software based. Making a phone that folds in half or a laptop with dual displays doesn't solve any of the weaknesses of the Android or Windows platforms and it won't on Apples.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
He’s right, and now you’re doubling-down on arrogant, immature and narcissistic, and it’s pretty gross.

Apple markets iPad Pro as a high performance device which can professionally edit music, photos and video…. And you come along with your snooty attitude and say that people who don’t understand that the device isn’t designed to do that are the problem.

Let’s be clear: High powered music/video/photo editing is the number one feature Apple promotes for the iPad Pro. See for yourself: https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/

When most consumers are told that the device has the same CPU, memory and storage as a MacBook Pro, AND that it can perform the same functions as a music/video/photo editor why wouldn’t they expect that?
So again you're going to fall back on Apple's marketing as your excuse, instead of just reality. Yikes.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
I know how desperately some people wish that was the way the world worked, especially on the anonymous internet, but that's not how it works.
Definitely agree that people with little to no character, intellect, or redeeming qualities will say things to people on the internet that they'd never have the nerve to say to their face. See it all the time. Even right here at MacRumors.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Alameda

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Strange, I do not see that propaganda at all. The best marketing take on the iPad is "Maybe your next computer is not a computer". It means that instead of a traditional Mac, you maybe able to use a iPad (or smartphone) instead and for many that is true. It does not mean that iPad is going to be a one to one feature replacement for a Mac and what would be the point of that?

I can see the point of that wish. The laptop format is 30 years old and can be perceived stale compared to the slicker and more versatile iPad. A dual boot would be better than changing the iPadOS too much.

Allow me to retort:

“iPad is so versatile, it’s more than up to any task.

iPad works with the powerful apps you’re familiar with, like Adobe Photoshop or Microsoft Office, with the added ease of using them with touch.“

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
It's been my most used device since getting it, I use my ipad everyday. I even prefer to take this with me as opposed to my laptop for the touch and notepad functionality.

Reactions: bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Well I mean it's not a laptop. No offence but what did you expect? Have you not used an iPad before and realised it's just a big iPhone with a crippling OS not suited to any serious work except drawing?
You are funny! Got a good laugh out of that opinion. Thing is, I been using my M1 iPad Pro 11 for serious work for 2 plus years now. Running my real estate and property management business with it cut my work flow, and just made my work fun again. Gets better every day, and just doesn't get old. Seems your "blanket opinion" was just for you, and others who have a workflow that it doesn't fit, and I understand that, but your one size opinion just doesn't fit everyone's iPad use.;)

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
It exists, just not by Microsoft but by Asus and there is even a variant with a 4070, 32GB RAM, i9, 165hz and up to 2TB of storage (Rog Z13 Acronym). Costs $2500. Battery life is not 20 minutes but it's in line with gaming laptops (4 hours of productivity, 6.5 hours of video watching, under max load and brightness it's a little less than 1 hour).
Interesting. Which Asus model are you referring to?

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
It exists, just not by Microsoft but by Asus and there is even a variant with a 4070, 32GB RAM, i9, 165hz and up to 2TB of storage (Rog Z13 Acronym). Costs $2500. Battery life is not 20 minutes but it's in line with gaming laptops (4 hours of productivity, 6.5 hours of video watching, under max load and brightness it's a little less than 1 hour).

I always said a Microsoft Surface Pro with an Nvidia 4000 card would be awesome. Well, there it is. Weird looking thing though.
@Rafterman I was responding to that comment by @Digitalguy. I’m curious to see if there are any reviews or comparisons to an Apple Silicon MBPro.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Well I mean it's not a laptop. No offence but what did you expect? Have you not used an iPad before and realised it's just a big iPhone with a crippling OS not suited to any serious work except drawing?
“We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.”
— Rabbi Shemuel ben Nachmani, as quoted in the Talmudic tractate Berakhot (55b.)

“Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!”​

― George Bernard Shaw

”Big iPhone .. my a$$”
— Paraphrasing Phil Schiller

In case you need some proof points: Please see attachments for four previously Mac-exclusive use cases that are easily performed on my iPad Pro from the couch, bed and sometimes the toilet seat.

P.S. None of these use cases are drawing. The two that might tempt you are actually graphics design and illustration. Professionals know the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.png
    IMG_0945.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0948.png
    IMG_0948.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0944.jpeg
    IMG_0944.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0943.png
    IMG_0943.png
    439.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bondr006

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Absolutely the same here. Over two years of using it as a laptop to run my real estate business, and it just doesn't get old.

Some people need to be more creative in how to find a use case for their ipad. For me, it's a far more versatile device than a standard laptop. And not everyone is a YouTuber who needs a full OS to render out videos everywhere they go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.