Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Have you not used an iPad before and realised it's just a big iPhone with a crippling OS not suited to any serious work except drawing?

I tried to make the iPad work for me so many times and it never worked out for me.

Interesting difference saying basically the same thing. I definitely prefer jonnytravels response over h.gilbert.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Allow me to retort:

“iPad is so versatile, it’s more than up to any task.

iPad works with the powerful apps you’re familiar with, like Adobe Photoshop or Microsoft Office, with the added ease of using them with touch.“
It is marketing. It also depends on who you ask if it is up to "any task". As I said before marketing cherry pick and they are not lying but they are not telling the whole truth either and which marketing ever does that?. The add is to highlight that you an do more with an iPad that the web, movies and reading and for some it is sufficing and other not. What should Apple marketing say? iPad apps stinks and iPadOS is crippled an OS?

The marketing tagline for Mac at Apple home page is "If you can dream it, Mac can do it". I doubt that: MacOS/Mac cannot replace supercomputers, small embedded computers and is really bad in many situation where iPad excels such as teaching, flying, inspections, studies, information desks, shop, some health care...Did I say how comparatively bad engineering and 3D modelling/rendering software is on Mac?

• Love
Reactions: bondr006

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Some people need to be more creative in how to find a use case for their ipad. For me, it's a far more versatile device than a standard laptop. And not everyone is a YouTuber who needs a full OS to render out videos everywhere they go.

There are some multi millionaire YouTubers who record their channel in 4K HDR on their iPhone and do their video editing straight of their iPhone.

There are also some Instagram and other content creators who shoot and edit their photo's from the iPhone and also make alot of money with it professionally.

But I guess, if it is not a Mac, it has to go back?

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Interesting. Which Asus model are you referring to?
Not sure about this question. I mentioned the model in my post (Rog Z13) and I even specified the variant with a 4070 (Acronym), as the regular Z13 has a 4060. There are no comparisons with a MacBook pro... because they are too different to compare. This device is essentially a gaming version of the surface pro, better cooled but also heavier and with shorter battery life. A MacBook is not a convertible, not a tablet, not typically a gaming device, it's a clamshel laptop.
You can find many reviews, but mind you some are of the 2 year old previous model with a lower end 3000 series GPU.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Do you really believe YouTube pays them that much? ;)

My good friend's niece has raked in a small fortune on YouTube, making her incredibly wealthy at an early age. Such cases are few and far between but they do exist. MrBeast made $54M in 2021 (per Forbes). Number 10 on their list of highest grossers was $16M - again, in just a single year.

https://press.farm/top-100-most-popular-and-highest-paid-youtubers/

https://www.hopperhq.com/blog/2023-youtube-rich-list/

So, the answer to your question is yes, some are paid that much.

ch1ptune

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
I’ve had my 11” iPad Pro since December — about four months now. Now that I’ve put it through its paces, I think I can say confidently that this is a very disappointing product.

I bought it with 512 GB of storage, the M2 processor, 8 GB of RAM, the cellular radio and the Magic Keyboard. For a product at this price point, it is a terrible laptop. I can definitely see the value of a $300 or $400 iPad as an entertainment toy. It’s great at downloading movies for playback while on long flights. But at the price of the iPad Pro, it’s well into laptop territory, as is the hardware capabilities… but it badly disappoints.

I’m not sure where to begin, but the Safari browser is very weak, and so is text selection and editing. Select/copy/paste works so-so on the iPhone, but on a platform like iPad Pro, I should have no difficulty selecting text for copy/paste. But it doesn’t work well on this platform. I downloaded Microsoft Office, and found its performance is fairly slow. I tried brining in RAW photos from my camera for editing with Adobe Lightroom, and it was close to unusable, especially compared to using my MacBook Pro. I tried using it as a slideshow player for my digital photos, and that hasn’t worked out too well. I tried using it with my Magic Mouse, but the scrolling feature of the mouse doesn’t work; I can’t slide my finger on top of the mouse to scroll a window.

I think this system needs to be MacOS with touchscreen support, instead of iPhone OS with keyboard support. As I said, i can see the attraction at the $300-$400 level, but in a $1,000-ish product, I should be able to get at least the same productivity as a laptop. MS Windows has plenty of touchscreen laptops; it’s basically Windows with a touchscreen mouse. Personally, I don’t see much future for the iPad Pro if they’re only going to be large screen iPhones.
Can you expand on your Lightroom experiences? I have the 2018 iPad Pro and I haven't had a single issue working with RAW files off of my Sony camera in Lightroom. I'm also used to working in Lightroom on my Mac, so I also have that to compare to. Honestly don't see that much of a difference other than the fact that one is a touch device and the other isn't.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
You are funny! Got a good laugh out of that opinion. Thing is, I been using my M1 iPad Pro 11 for serious work for 2 plus years now. Running my real estate and property management business with it cut my work flow, and just made my work fun again. Gets better every day, and just doesn't get old. Seems your "blanket opinion" was just for you, and others who have a workflow that it doesn't fit, and I understand that, but your one size opinion just doesn't fit everyone's iPad use.;)

If that was my business I’d definitely have an iPad for it.

However I can sit and easily say why I as a cpa don’t have an iPad as a primary device and couldn’t use one to run it. Though I can find areas of the business to use an iPad in.

I have to be able run the files that businesses like you send me. Quickbooks. Etc. Tax and audit programs run primarily on windows.

But sure we shouldn’t generalize or make a claim something is useless because we personally cannot use it for such.

It’s not like even macOS works for me. Need windows. But I enjoy using macOS and have them as personal devices. None of it is essential much. More of a hobby.

With screens or similar app I can make an iPad work for me. It’s all about user and what the user knows how to do.

I do find that as one gets older and makes more investments and whatnot your life gets more complicated. You need something to manage it. If there’s anything sad it’s those that fail to accumulate assets to manage. For those that don’t I think they live in a different world. I know younger me did for a time.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
“We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.”
— Rabbi Shemuel ben Nachmani, as quoted in the Talmudic tractate Berakhot (55b.)

“Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!”​

― George Bernard Shaw

”Big iPhone .. my a$$”
— Paraphrasing Phil Schiller

In case you need some proof points: Please see attachments for four previously Mac-exclusive use cases that are easily performed on my iPad Pro from the couch, bed and sometimes the toilet seat.

P.S. None of these use cases are drawing. The two that might tempt you are actually graphics design and illustration. Professionals know the difference.

I meant drawing as an umbrella term for anything artistic that would benefit from pencil support for which I can see how the iPad works well. Everything else from my experience is much better on macOS.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
My response says why I don't like iPad, the other response didn't.
Well I mean it's not a laptop. No offence but what did you expect? Have you not used an iPad before and realised it's just a big iPhone with a crippling OS not suited to any serious work except drawing?

Your response made claims and opinions that pertain or relate to only you, and your experience....Not facts pertaining to the iPad itself and the experience everyone else has to have, or is having. It may be, "just a big iPhone with a crippling OS not suited to any serious work except drawing" to you, but to me and many others, it is a very capable tablet computer. It has an OS that has allowed me to run my real estate business easily, while cutting my workflow, and making my work fun again...for over two years now.;)

I understand that you and many others can't use it the way you like to, or the way you think you should be able to, but you at the same time need to acquiesce to the fact that many people can(even if many people can't), and do replace their laptops and use the iPad for productivity, or even use the iPad and a MBP or PC in unison for productivity, and entertainment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bcortens

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I meant drawing as an umbrella term for anything artistic that would benefit from pencil support for which I can see how the iPad works well. Everything else from my experience is much better on macOS.
Understood. I hope you can also see that evaluating iPad Pro through the lens of whether a use case is better handled on it vs macOS is just one way of seeing things. For me and I suspect others, context is also a factor and being able to do something better in a particular context has tremendous value.

For example: Problem Solving and Planning — outlining issues/challenges, identifying root causes, and developing a solution — across multiple domains using the same apps I use on my MacBook Pro (Noteplan, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Xcode Playgrounds, Freeform and others) is infinitely better on my iPad Pro because I can do it in a “lean back” setting that is optimal for contemplation, or because I can chip away at a problem that is not amenable to a ‘one-shot’ solution easier on the iPad Pro than on the Mac with macOS.

This is just one example, but I’m sure others can outline additional, non-drawing, scenarios where they prefer to use the iPad and iPadOS even when they have the option to use a Mac and macOS.

Net-net: The constraints of the iPad and iPadOS (like those of the Mac and macOS) are design choices to align the device to a particular mode of computing, they are not shortcomings. And the iPad is much more than just a big iPhone for those who see it for what it is and use it the way it was intended vs trying to force it to do what we wish it could do.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
Understood. I hope you can also see that evaluating iPad Pro through the lens of whether a use case is better handled on it vs macOS is just one way of seeing things. For me and I suspect others, context is also a factor and being able to do something better in a particular context has tremendous value.

For example: Problem Solving and Planning — outlining issues/challenges, identifying root causes, and developing a solution — across multiple domains using the same apps I use on my MacBook Pro (Noteplan, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Xcode Playgrounds, Freeform and others) is infinitely better on my iPad Pro because I can do it in a “lean back” setting that is optimal for contemplation, or because I can chip away at a problem that is not amenable to a ‘one-shot’ solution easier on the iPad Pro than on the Mac with macOS.

This is just one example, but I’m sure others can outline additional, non-drawing, scenarios where they prefer to use the iPad and iPadOS even when they have the option to use a Mac and macOS.

Net-net: The constraints of the iPad and iPadOS (like those of the Mac and macOS) are design choices to align the device to a particular mode of computing, they are not shortcomings. And the iPad is much more than just a big iPhone for those who see it for what it is and use it the way it was intended vs trying to force it to do what we wish it could do.
I use it for design, with Affinity, its not drawing per se as I do not draw at all, and I feel as proficient if not more on the iPad than on Mac.

Switched to iPad only 4 years ago and never looked back.

Some people buy an iPad and want to use it as a Mac, the key is to adapt to a different workflow, it takes time but can be very rewarding.

Sure it is not without flaws, but it. Can be done and you and be happy with it, but yes the iPad. Can be a work machine even if you do not draw.

If you buy an iPad to use it as a Mac you are in for troubles, embrace the new workflow and you’ll be amazed, it’s not for everyone, that’s why they still make Macs.
I also see the 1 app interaction to be a limitation but a good one, I get to focus a lot more on iPad than on Macs, and when occasionally needed I can split screen.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
It is marketing. It also depends on who you ask if it is up to "any task". As I said before marketing cherry pick and they are not lying but they are not telling the whole truth either and which marketing ever does that?. The add is to highlight that you an do more with an iPad that the web, movies and reading and for some it is sufficing and other not. What should Apple marketing say? iPad apps stinks and iPadOS is crippled an OS?

The marketing tagline for Mac at Apple home page is "If you can dream it, Mac can do it". I doubt that: MacOS/Mac cannot replace supercomputers, small embedded computers and is really bad in many situation where iPad excels such as teaching, flying, inspections, studies, information desks, shop, some health care...Did I say how comparatively bad engineering and 3D modelling/rendering software is on Mac?
When Apple says it has an M2 processor and 8 GB of RAM, is that “marketing” too?

Your observation is very interesting.

To be honest, I think the biggest part of the difference is that Apple has made the iPad a walled garden. They limit the capabilities of third party apps and prohibit downloading and installation of unsigned apps.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
When Apple says it has an M2 processor and 8 GB of RAM, is that “marketing” too?

Your observation is very interesting.

To be honest, I think the biggest part of the difference is that Apple has made the iPad a walled garden. They limit the capabilities of third party apps and prohibit downloading and installation of unsigned apps.
Yes, the iPad can be considered a walled garden; but it’s one I’m happy to be in — particularly the lockdown and limitations on unsigned apps — as a consumer because it is more secure than the alternative. However, I respect that others see things differently.

Apple chose this approach in consideration of the step change in the scale of modern computing devices with the advent of the smartphone and tablet. We went from a world where many households did not have a computer to one where there are now more smartphones than people on the planet. This change increases risks exponentially and applying old thinking to this new reality would have been shortsighted at best and arguably negligent.

Today, all serious businesses lock down devices and prohibit installation of unsigned apps because they are aware of the risks and consequences of failing to do so — either from experience or observation of the countless and escalating number of victims of hacking and cybercrime. I don’t understand the casual expectation that Apple should ignore this best practice for consumer IT. With Apple’s current approach, safety is the default and those who don’t want this restriction are free to jailbreak their devices.

Finally, my company (200+ software development engineers) have done countless iPad and iPhone apps and I cannot recall a single instance where client objectives or apps we developed for clients were constrained by the walled garden. In fact, our experience is the opposite: The Apple development ecosystem enables innovation and makes our lives as Developers easier than the alternative because of the rich collection of trusted frameworks, apis, documentation and support available to us. Is it perfect? Heck no. But it is leaps and bounds ahead of the alternatives. The only developers I see complaining about limitations are those trying to circumvent the rules they agreed to to further their own self-interest.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yes, the iPad can be considered a walled garden; but it’s one I’m happy to be in — particularly the lockdown and limitations on unsigned apps — as a consumer because it is more secure than the alternative. However, I respect that others see things differently.

Apple chose this approach in consideration of the step change in the scale of modern computing devices with the advent of the smartphone and tablet. We went from a world where many households did not have a computer to one where there are now more smartphones than people on the planet. This change increases risks exponentially and applying old thinking to this new reality would have been shortsighted at best and arguably negligent.

Today, all serious businesses lock down devices and prohibit installation of unsigned apps because they are aware of the risks and consequences of failing to do so — either from experience or observation of the countless and escalating number of victims of hacking and cybercrime. I don’t understand the casual expectation that Apple should ignore this best practice for consumer IT. With Apple’s current approach, safety is the default and those who don’t want this restriction are free to jailbreak their devices.

Finally, my company (200+ software development engineers) have done countless iPad and iPhone apps and I cannot recall a single instance where client objectives or apps we developed for clients were constrained by the walled garden. In fact, our experience is the opposite: The Apple development ecosystem enables innovation and makes our lives as Developers easier than the alternative because of the rich collection of trusted frameworks, apis, documentation and support available to us. Is it perfect? Heck no. But it is leaps and bounds ahead of the alternatives. The only developers I see complaining about limitations are those trying to circumvent the rules they agreed to to further their own self-interest.

Interesting to hear a perspective from the dev side. Good post.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I agree. I’ve had a dream of making an iPad my one and all computer since 2015 when the original iPad Pro was released. The iPad always felt so futuristic to me due to its extreme portability, super efficient and powerful chips, modularity, and how well it works with iOS and iOS apps.

I finally went all in on an M1 12.9” iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil for about 8 months with no laptop or desktop. I did it, but it was a worse computer than macOS. Lots of regular frustrations and limitations. The 12.9” size also ruined everything loved about tablets. It was no longer super portable and fun to use. So worst of both worlds.

I sold the iPad Pro in November. It became redundant once I bought a MacBook Pro again. I’ve been getting along with my iPhone and MacBook just fine without it now.

I’m intrigued by the rumors of an OLED iPad Pro in the 11” size. I’ve dreamed of that since 2017 when I had my 10.5” iPad Pro and really wished it had a display with pure inky blacks. I also just miss that 9.7/10.5/11” tablet form factor for casual browsing around the house and Apple Pencil use. But I don’t know if I can justify what will probably be an $1,000 device just so I can use it for what I’m using my iPhone and MacBook for right now. Sigh.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My iPad Pro was particularly useful during the pandemic for 2 reasons.

1) Recording screencasts. I would use the screen recording feature to record myself solving questions in notability, edit it in lumafusion, then upload it to YouTube and post the link in google classroom.

2) I edited footage for a school event in lumafusion on my iPad. The context was that because of covid, the students could not assemble in the hall, so we made a pre-recorded version of the event that teachers could enact with their students in their form classes.

I don't make any money directly off these, but it was a fun ride nonetheless.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
At the end of the day the iPad is like any other tool, suitable for some jobs but not others. If you don’t like it then that’s ok, but to call it completely ‘crippled’ because you didn’t get on with it is like saying a hammer is a crippled tool because it can’t turn a screw.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2018
I’ve had my 11” iPad Pro since December — about four months now. Now that I’ve put it through its paces, I think I can say confidently that this is a very disappointing product.

I think many people get something like Paris Syndrome when they get an iPad to use for work. To remind you Paris Syndrome is the following (from Wikipedia):
Paris syndrome is a cluster of psychiatric symptoms exhibited by some individuals when visiting Paris that can be viewed as a severe form of culture shock [....] the syndrome has been particularly noted among Japanese tourists, perhaps due to the way in which Paris has been idealised in Japanese culture
In other words, people really believe the marketing. They really believe that iPad = computer. And they get one... And it just isn't.

It's like a laptop. But it's a heavily restricted user experience, for all kinds of reasons. It's like a laptop but under school rules. You're just not allowed to do certain things, either because of technical or design limitations. The rules feel weird and arbitrary if you're used to the freedom of a genuine laptop computer.

Now, some people are absolutely fine with these school rules. It's all down to personality and life expectations, I guess. Maybe age, too? Younger people are more prepared to deal with rules, and have grown-up with the arbitrary nature of computing nowadays where we tend to live in walled gardens.

But many people can't deal with the rules. Right now, an iPad is not a computer. It's not a laptop replacement for most people.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Do you really believe YouTube pays them that much? ;)

It's not YouTube that pays them, it's the sponsors and merchandise. If you get some strong sponsors lined up and can convert a decent chunk of your audience into merch buyers you can make a lot of money as a creator.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I was in the local version of the istore here, in 2022, I needed a replacement for my ipad mini 2, and to take over from my 2013 macbook pro, I kind of figured that with the keyboard, the pencil, the cover, the ipad would be a better buy than the m1 macbook air...SO that is what the shop assistant assembled, a lot of boxed items, but as I stood there thinking, having been in the store about 10 times leaving 9 times, having talked myself out of buying, I was only seconds away from spending a lot of money on a something like a laptop, but is not..I bought the M1 Macbook Air instead, it had a keyboard, it had USB ports, 2 of them, I bought a dongle with USB 2 ports, VGA, ethernet..

That was 2 years ago, and I still wonder did I make a mistake, 99% of the time no, the Air is way better than the ipad would have been, at least with the laptop, I have final cut pro, lumafusion, access to something a bit better than an ipad..

However I still need something less than a macbook air, and something more than the iphone, ipad mini, that runs FCP for Ipad, that has 2 USB C ports, 1x charging port, the 2 USB c ports, for hard drives, external mouse, that sort of thing, something..

The ipad pro is insanely expensive here in South Africa, the price cannot be afforded, ipads should not be expensive for what they are.. There seems to be a problem with pricing internally to Apple Inc, maybe it is greed, I don't know, to pay R50 000 for an ipad, you can buy a decent 2nd hard car for less than R50 000.. That is a problem..

Reactions: Alameda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.