Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
I don't keep asking the same question my friend. Scroll up and read the thread. I have been to two different Apple stores in two different countries. Both have said they will replace the *taptic engine and not the device.

You don't get my point; if people have directly had Apple replace their device, why should I settle for a repair that actually involves opening and resealing my device also potentially affecting its resale value.

I'm a lawyer, not an idiot
I don't keep asking the same question my friend. Scroll up and read the thread. I have been to two different Apple stores in two different countries. Both have said they will replace the *taptic engine and not the device.

You don't get my point; if people have directly had Apple replace their device, why should I settle for a repair that actually involves opening and resealing my device also potentially affecting its resale value.

I'm a lawyer, not an idiot
Who said you’re an idiot? If two stores are offering to repair it first then thats what you need to do. Nothing will be visible on the actual phone to affect resell value, nobody will ever know.

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Update: Went to apple store explained the issue they were confident its the haptic engine so they replaced it. Tested the phone again with new haptic engine and all vibrations off. The issue got more prominent again vibrating when toggling things on and off now also when unlocking with face id a short tap some employees were able to notice it some not. They then proceeded and exchanged the device. Got home tested new device again same issue also the clicking noise is always there. So at this point either its a software bug or a hardware issue affecting all iphone 11 / pros. While waiting I was able to test 2-3 store models all of them had the same issue. All we can do now is to report this issue to apple it might be a simple software fix.

Reactions: bsmr

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
There's been an audible click that accompanies the haptic feedback since they introduced the solid state (?) home button on the iPhone 7/7 Plus. And I've always found it annoying. Unfortunately, this is one of the many things Apple doesn't let us change - sort of a 'if you don't like it, don't use iPhones' thing.

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
I have the same problem and I posted it on reddit! Here’s the link so more people can comment if they have the same problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/comments/eehmea
Thanks I commented there too. Im confident to say that every single Iphone 11 pro/max has this issue. I had about 8 iphones in my hands and all of them had this issue only the strength of the vibration varies and the loudness of the clicking sound coming from the bottom of the phone.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
I think this is the same issue some of us have been discussing on this post? I thought me and the other guy were going crazy but looks like we’re not the only ones!

I’ve noticed this on my iPhone 11 Pro Max too BUT I can’t replicate it on my mother’s iPhone XR or any of the Apple Store iPhone 11/11 Pros. I took it to a genius and obviously they said “it’s expected behaviour”. I swear I didn’t notice this issue until after installing iOS 13.2 and it’s still there after 13.3. You can definitely feel the click if you repeatedly touch a blank notes page (lightly) or just anywhere on safari when you’re about to scroll.

Last edited:

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
I think this is the same issue some of us have been discussing on this post? I thought me and the other guy were going crazy but looks like we’re not the only ones!

I’ve noticed this on my iPhone 11 Pro Max too BUT I can’t replicate it on my mother’s iPhone XR or any of the Apple Store iPhone 11/11 Pros. I took it to a genius and obviously they said “it’s expected behaviour”. I swear I didn’t notice this issue until after installing iOS 13.2 and it’s still there after 13.3. You can definitely feel the click if you repeatedly touch a blank notes page (lightly) or just anywhere on safari when you’re about to scroll.
Yes this is the same issue. Please everyone report it to apple on this link
https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Reactions: snyp1193

Theoner1

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017
Strange. I just got my green 256mb 11 pro max iOS 13.1.2 and I can't replicate any of the unusual clicking or haptic feedback issues that are discussing in this thread. Maybe it's just me but I'm not hearing or feeling anything unusual after turning off haptic feedback

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Strange. I just got my green 256mb 11 pro max iOS 13.1.2 and I can't replicate any of the unusual clicking or haptic feedback issues that are discussing in this thread. Maybe it's just me but I'm not hearing or feeling anything unusual after turning off haptic feedback

it’s only been noticeable on IOS 13.2+

cosmicnova

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
Can confirm, myself and my mother received an iPhone 11 Pro Max and the sound is there. Mine is much louder and can be felt while the other phone is slight but present. Both on iOS 13.3. Occurs when I fetch Mail, toggle setting option, slide up to close recently opened apps, force holding icons, volume button change or clicking on popus such as confirm or cancel.

Theoner1

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017
Are you guys talking about long press clicking, Sort of like the 3d touch? That's the only click I get when long-pressing an icon and the menu display. Example when long press brightness in cc the click sound followed by the menu

cosmicnova

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
Are you guys talking about long press clicking, Sort of like the 3d touch? That's the only click I get when long-pressing an icon and the menu display. Example when long press brightness in cc the click sound followed by the menu

Nope just general clicking, for example if my volume is low and hold the volume up key, I hear the click 3-4 times until the volume is max. Or simply clicking settings and keep toggling airplane mode on and non quickly, it makes the tick vibration.

Theoner1

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017
Nope just general clicking, for example if my volume is low and hold the volume up key, I hear the click 3-4 times until the volume is max. Or simply clicking settings and keep toggling airplane mode on and non quickly, it makes the tick vibration.

Yeah, mine on iOS 13.1.2 definitely doesn't do that. It will only vibrate when it reaches max volume which was designed for. I will test my wife's gold 256gb pro max iOS 13.2.3 tonight and see if that problem exists.

Daniel3122

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
I bet its a software issue. I had my iPhone replaced (the old one was on 13.2 and the newer one 13.1.2). After about a month its still the same. Someone said that by replacing the taptic engine the issue remains so its most probably a software issue. In my opinion it is the buggiest ios.

Theoner1

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017
I bet its a software issue. I had my iPhone replaced (the old one was on 13.2 and the newer one 13.1.2). After about a month its still the same. Someone said that by replacing the taptic engine the issue remains so its most probably a software issue. In my opinion it is the buggiest ios.

Your new replacement is on 13.1.2 and after a month you've experienced the same bugs? If it's software related then mine which is also 13.1.2 should have the same problems but it's not. Very Interesting.

Cadapter

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
This issue started last week for me. I tried everything in the thread so far and nothing has worked. Finally visited an apple store today and they “tightened a screw on the haptic module.” I checked when I got in the car and the problem persists. Their demo phones do not have this issue.
Im on iOS 13.3.1
Edited

Last edited:

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
This issue started last week for me. I tried everything in the thread so far and nothing has worked. Finally visited an apple store today and they “tightened a screw on the haptic module.” I checked when I got in the car and the problem persists. Their demo phones do not have this issue.
Im on iOS 13.1.3.

If it's happening on 13.1.3 and people are experiencing it randomly, it almost sounds like a flaw with the haptic engine on the iPhone XS/11 that may not be fixed by software.

cosmicnova

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
As long as its not a single person problem then its a Software Issue. I am assuming the system is triggering the Heptic Engine after every move even though its disabled. Hopefully they give the user full control and never trigger it unless enabled.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
As long as its not a single person problem then its a Software Issue. I am assuming the system is triggering the Heptic Engine after every move even though its disabled. Hopefully they give the user full control and never trigger it unless enabled.

Not exactly, it could be possible due to an inherent flaw in the haptic engine that's affecting a subset of phones. It's hard to narrow it down exactly since some phones running 13.2/13.3 (like in the apple store) do not have this issue, while some people running the same software do.

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Not exactly, it could be possible due to an inherent flaw in the haptic engine that's affecting a subset of phones. It's hard to narrow it down exactly since some phones running 13.2/13.3 (like in the apple store) do not have this issue, while some people running the same software do.
All Iphones that I tested in the apple store had the same issue. I tested them after 13.3 was released so Im not exactly sure what version they were running. When I got the Iphone on release date I didn’t notice the issue until it was exchanged due to a different issue. So the possibility is that the initial ios 13 release didn’t have this problem. However when they replaced the haptic engine on my iPhone the issue got worse the vibration got more intense and in the end they had to replace the phone.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
All Iphones that I tested in the apple store had the same issue. I tested them after 13.3 was released so Im not exactly sure what version they were running. When I got the Iphone on release date I didn’t notice the issue until it was exchanged due to a different issue. So the possibility is that the initial ios 13 release didn’t have this problem. However when they replaced the haptic engine on my iPhone the issue got worse the vibration got more intense and in the end they had to replace the phone.

Weird cause I tested a bunch of 13.3 iPhone 11 and Pro/Max and none of them exhibited the same issue as we're facing. I even put my ear against the phone testing all the haptic features.

Cadapter

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
I went back to a different apple store today after my “screw tightening” yesterday. Very frustrated as two techs could not reproduce the clicking despite me showing them three different ways to 100% trigger it. I also pointed out that the tech at the store I went to yesterday did replicate it.
They offered to replace the taptic engine under warranty for my “satisfaction.” They basically said it was functioning normally and that it may have been something that I never noticed.

At this point, based on what others have said, I think it’s either an issue with a specific batch of phones or a software issue.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
I went back to a different apple store today after my “screw tightening” yesterday. Very frustrated as two techs could not reproduce the clicking despite me showing them three different ways to 100% trigger it. I also pointed out that the tech at the store I went to yesterday did replicate it.
They offered to replace the taptic engine under warranty for my “satisfaction.” They basically said it was functioning normally and that it may have been something that I never noticed.

At this point, based on what others have said, I think it’s either an issue with a specific batch of phones or a software issue.

It's a very difficult issue to prove to the techs or even iOS devs (if it's a software issue) since they just assume it's part of the normal haptic vibration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.