Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I don't like big phones, that's why i went from the 11 Pro to the Pixel 4.
I'm the same like you. But after reading how bad the battery is on pixel phones I bought an XL. To my surprise it doesn't feel big due to its narrow width. Even with this battery didn't last whole day. Again I was constantly playing with setup transferring data from iPhone etc. Let's hope it lasts for a day

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
How’s the battery life on the smaller pixel 4?
If you're coming from 11 Pro, you may want to try 4 XL first. Battery life on iPhone is incredible. No android phone comes close to it. I've switched from 11 Pro to 4 XL and I'm barely get through the day. Android is never going to be as good with battery life and iOS as there are too many devices running android and it's difficult to optimize this

Size wise, XL isn't too big to hold as it's narrower. I hate big phones and I don't mind this size.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
If you're coming from 11 Pro, you may want to try 4 XL first. Battery life on iPhone is incredible. No android phone comes close to it. I've switched from 11 Pro to 4 XL and I'm barely get through the day. Android is never going to be as good with battery life and iOS as there are too many devices running android and it's difficult to optimize this
Note 10+ and P30 Pro are easily on par with the 11 Pro for battery. And that's just a couple off the top of my head.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Size wise, XL isn't too big to hold as it's narrower. I hate big phones and I don't mind this size.
Battery life is more of the Pixel 4's problem. Other Android phones no longer have battery life problems as most other OEMs don't cheap out on the battery capacity like Google. My Honor phone can last for 2 to 3 days easy with normal use.

Flappy Dunk

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
If you switch from the iPhone 11 Pro to the Google Pixel 4, you will really miss the battery life. I have an iPhone 11 Pro, but not the Pixel 4 (nor the 4 XL). I heard the Pixel 4's battery life is trash, especially in comparison to the iPhone 11 Pro.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
The Pixel 4s battery life is atrocious, the Pixel 4 XL is average to below average.

The 11 Pro Max has fantastic battery life. But if you think about the specs it makes sense. Compared to the competition the iPhone has a lower refresh screen, a lower resolution than the other 60Hz screens, and iOS has always been great with standby time.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Yes. Pixel 4 XL battery is no where close to iPhone 11 Pro. But now that I've had it for 5 days it's getting a bit better. I can get through the day barely. So I'm not complaining too much.

Considering the fact I sold my 11 and bought the new pixel for half the price, it's not that bad.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Yes. Pixel 4 XL battery is no where close to iPhone 11 Pro. But now that I've had it for 5 days it's getting a bit better. I can get through the day barely. So I'm not complaining too much.

Considering the fact I sold my 11 and bought the new pixel for half the price, it's not that bad.
Personally, "barely" lasting a day is not good enough, especially in 2020. Sometimes life doesn't care if your phone is almost dead, so I prefer phones that still have a good amount of battery left at the end of the day. My current Honor View 10 can last 2 to 3 days comfortably with normal use.

Reactions: shelt

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Update after 2 weeks of using 4 XL:

Battery has settled down now. I can comfortably get through the day. Still not in par with iPhone. But I can live with this.
Google assistant and camera is better than iPhone in my opinion. I can perform a bunch of stuff without ever touching the phone via voice commands.
Camera. - don't know what it is. The pictures are simply stunning. Both day and night pictures are better than. 11 pro. May be it looks like it because of the brighter screen on pixel

Only complaint is that I feel it's a bit too big with the case on. I've the Google fabric case now and looking for a thinner case

So far not missing the iPhone much. For my apple watch it's synched with my old iPhone SE.

Reactions: UltraInstinct

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Currently have the iphone 11 Pro. Thinking of switching to Pixel 4.
Only concern is about the battery life. I'm so used to the amazing battery life of 11Pro and i'm pretty sure it won't be that good. But will it last with a day with my heavy use?

Also, my personal problem - what to do with my Apple watch 4??

Anyone else in the same boat?

why the downgrade?

not that the pixel 4 is a bad phone. But it has poor battery, worse processor, worse video camera

operating system is a subjective thing, if you’re frustrated with Apple or want to leave ecosystem that’s one thing

just curious as to your reasons - because the 11 Pro is probably one of the best smart phones on the market and the pixel 4 is one of the most flawed.
[automerge]1589053043[/automerge]
2 reasons:
- cost of the iphone 11 Pro. I paid CAD$1500 for 64gb here in Canada
- Hey google - i find the voice commands are much better with android than Siri.
- Being a phone addict doesn't help either!!

the pixel 4’s are equally overpriced here for what they are

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
why the downgrade?

not that the pixel 4 is a bad phone. But it has poor battery, worse processor, worse video camera

operating system is a subjective thing, if you’re frustrated with Apple or want to leave ecosystem that’s one thing

just curious as to your reasons - because the 11 Pro is probably one of the best smart phones on the market and the pixel 4 is one of the most flawed.

Agreed. But i got mine for CAD 600 for 4 XL and sold my 11 Pro for 1100. So i can't complain. Happy with pixel so far. Love the camera and google assistant as I use them a lot.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
why the downgrade?

I like how you list the areas where the 11 Pro Max is better but conveniently leave out the areas where it's worse. The pixel 4 has a better display, better camera, smoother UI due to high refresh, much better assistant, and comes with a lot of pixel specific features like call screening.

The Pro Max is a great phone but the Pixel 4 xl is also pretty damn good. At their retail price, the Pixel isn't a good deal. But for the current $300 off, it's a steal and arguably a much better value than the iPhone.

pirarre

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
I had the iPhone 11 Pro Max and exchanged it for a iPhone 11 Pro. The battery life on the max was awesome. I also had the S20 Ultra for a short stint too, but returned it for camera issues. The Ultra's battery was the best of any Android Phone I've used and it charged really fast too.

I picked up a Open Box Pixel 4 XL from Best Buy about 2 weeks ago for $525. It was in excellent condition, despite it being a Open-Box unit. But I can tell you, my iPhone 11 Pro is at home on my nightstand. I use the Assistants a lot and Google Assistant is the best, especially on the Pixel line of phones with Continued-Conversation. In addition to that, what made fully switch to my Pixel 4 XL was the Call-Screening feature, the camera and most importantly my Pixel Buds. I do love the smoothness of Pixel too. But I'm not going to lie...the 11 Pro is the king of smoothness to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.