Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
267 Charge cycles at 99% health for my launch day 12PM. Pretty normal battery degredation IMHO
Untitled.jpg

Reactions: BigMcGuire

didoriginal

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2014
8 months of use, 208 charge cycles and 100% battery health. iPhone 12 Pro, purchased in April 2021. I usually keep the charge between 20 - 85%. It has been charged to 100% less than ten times and it has never gone below 10%. On normal days I usually go down to about 25-30% charge from 80-85% and I only fully charge it on days I know I am going to need my phone a lot. Quite happy with the results so far.

View attachment 1925080
Just dropped down to 99% after doing a calibration cycle - discharged to 0% and the charged back up to 100%. :)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So in essence are the later battery cells less robust ( not withstanding wireless charging etc and environmental factors ) than the older device batteries ?
So I've given this some thought. I think devices today are being used far more than devices in the past (I know my phone usage is significantly higher). Our phones do more, send/receive data faster - are used for more things and have far faster CPUs in them that put out a lot more heat. All that combines with a battery that hasn't changed drastically over the last 5-6 years - and you'll get higher wear and tear on them.

Granted, I've been watching battery health religiously since my iPhone 6+. I'm not seeing THAT much of a difference in battery health dropping / usage over a 2 year lifecycle. People expect their phones to keep 100% health and/or compare it to a previous phone that may have had a way over provisioned battery vs the one they have now. I've had some iPhone batteries drop like a brick over 1.5 years, others stay solid on the % they came from the factory with.

I remember being able to use my 6+ outside all day in the sun with no problems. My 12 Pro Max got REALLY hot trying to do something similar on a very hot day. That isn't good for the battery.

I do think you have a good point - wireless charging adds a lot more heat to an already hot problem - that and rapid charging / people using these devices as their primary computing tool more than ever before / etc.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I think due to the faster CPUs, faster transfer speeds, heavier usages (videos/camera/webpages) - when batteries do finally start their downward curve, they're expiring faster than ever because of all the above factors.

Light users like me don't see it as much - but people who spend 6-8 hours a day on their phone will.

My wife's 12 Pro Max dropped from 104% to 93% over 1 year. That's the first time that ever happened. My 12 Pro Max was 104% the day I traded it in for a 13PM. She used wireless charging and was on her phone more than ever before.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Here's a conspiracy theory: Apple introduces a new charging method, MagSafe, that degrades batteries faster, causing people to pay for battery replacements or new devices sooner than they would've without this charging method.

Or alternately: Apple didn't set out to implement this nefarious scheme, but in the end MagSafe has the same practical result.

Either way, Apple makes more money. I have seen so many "mistakes" that end up with Apple profiting from it.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Here's a conspiracy theory: Apple introduces a new charging method, MagSafe, that degrades batteries faster, causing people to pay for battery replacements or new devices sooner than they would've without this charging method.

Or alternately: Apple didn't set out to implement this nefarious scheme, but in the end MagSafe has the same practical result.

Either way, Apple makes more money. I have seen so many "mistakes" that end up with Apple profiting from it.
Most corporate “mistakes” or errors are one sided. Meaning they are by design set to benefit the corporation at the expense of the consumer.

Reactions: Boyyai and Duncan68

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
Can't complain about my battery health. Got the 12 Mini in June, charged it every 1.5 days and still at 99%. Since it became too small for me, I bought a regular iPhone 12 which got produced in July, activated in August and has been used since then; it's even at 102% (2865mAh) with 87 charge cycles according to coconut. My old iPhone 7 also had been pretty fine over 2 years, until I changed my battery at around 88%.

Don't torture your Phones with "fast charging", it gives you zero benefit overnight and only stresses your whole device with unnecessary heat. There are chargers like the Aukey Omnia Duo (USB-A @12W and USB-C @65W port, second can also be used for your Macbook) or older iPad chargers with 10W/12W, they only cost between 15-25 bucks and ensure acceptable charging speeds at cool temperatures.

The same goes for wireless charging (unless its in your car). Avoid it. What's so hard about to quickly plug in your lightning cable. People became so lazy. MagSafe is better as it reduces transfer losses at least. But wired charging is still the way to go.

Thermal-imaging-of-the-three-modes-of-iPhone-8-Plus-charging-a-i-mains-driven-cable.png

Last edited:

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Can't complain about my battery health. Got the 12 Mini in June, charged it every 1.5 days and still at 99%. Since it became too small for me, I bought a regular iPhone 12 which got produced in July, activated in August and has been used since then; still at 100%. My iPhone 7 also had been pretty fine over 2 years, until I changed my battery at around 88%.

Don't torture your Phones with "fast charging", it gives you zero benefit overnight and only stresses your whole device with unnecessary heat. There are chargers like the Aukey Omnia Duo (USB-A @12W and USB-C @65W port, second can also be used for your Macbook) or older iPad chargers with 10W/12W, they only cost between 15-25 bucks and ensure acceptable charging speeds at cool temperatures.

The same goes for wireless charging (unless its in your car). Avoid it. What's so hard about to quickly plug in your lightning cable. People became so lazy. MagSafe is better as it reduces transfer losses at least. But wired charging is still the way to go.

View attachment 1934185
Solid advice.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m now down to 86%. I still have to charge at least twice a day to keep my phone running even when I’m at home. I keep a spare portable charger in my car for when I’m out away from a outlet.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
So I was at 89%, just checked and after the last update it's back to 90%. ?‍♂️

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

View attachment 1934185
I use the Aukey dual USB 12 watt charger that you mention. I use the 80/20 rule for charging. I also use a HomeKit smart plug. Plug in my phone turn on the smart plug and a Shortcuts automation will turn off the smart plug when the phone reaches 80%. I can charge overnight and not worry about it sitting on the charger. I don’t use optimized charging feature, don’t need to. The phone stays cool while charging, less stress on the battery.

Reactions: Fred Zed

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I use the Aukey dual USB 12 watt charger that you mention. I use the 80/20 rule for charging. I also use a HomeKit smart plug. Plug in my phone turn on the smart plug and a Shortcuts automation will turn off the smart plug when the phone reaches 80%. I can charge overnight and not worry about it sitting on the charger. I don’t use optimized charging feature, don’t need to. The phone stays cool while charging, less stress on the battery.
Thought about doing something like this but stopping the charging at 100%. How has the health of the battery been during the time you have been doing this?

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Thought about doing something like this but stopping the charging at 100%. How has the health of the battery been during the time you have been doing this?

I'm using a Automation and smart plug which turns off the power the moment the phone battery reaches 100% charge.

Using a old 5w Apple Charger, wired.

Launch day 13 Pro. Battery capacity still on 100%.

Time will tell if it makes any difference

uknation87

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Down to 95% now... 11 months old.
I got my 12PM about 7 months ago and it's already down to 95% health.

My wife (12PM), my son and daughter (12's) are all still at 100% health also 7 months in.

Now, I don't have any issues with the phone lasting all day as long as I'm not streaming a ton or playing a lot of specific games so I typically don't stress about it.

That said, I don't believe my charging habits are much different than anyone else in my house so I am curious as to why my phone's battery health has gone down so quickly.

Reactions: Boyyai

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
1647004295058.png

Mine’s been at 85 since 9 months after purchasing on release date. This has been the worse battery life ever for an iPhone. I have to recharge midday. And of course it stays at 85 so Apple won’t replace it under warranty.

AM2354

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2020
So, this topic hits home with me. I just had my battery replaced by Apple. I was down to 80% on my iPhone 12 Pro. I am telling you I got a lesson on how we are damaging our batteries and we don't even know it. Certain apps with constant use, apps in the background, and believe it or not, how you charge and when you charge your phone has a big impact. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have any important email that I need to be notified about, so I shut off the notifications for this and I manually check my email once every hour. Makes a big difference. I would recommend googling on how to save your battery, and it will tell you what can shut off, like background refresh. Lastly, Apple Rep told me if my battery goes below 80 on the health meter then it's time to decide about getting a new battery, for the phone will eventually start lagging, and be less responsive. As we say in medicine, it's going into heart failure.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
So, this topic hits home with me. I just had my battery replaced by Apple. I was down to 80% on my iPhone 12 Pro. I am telling you I got a lesson on how we are damaging our batteries and we don't even know it. Certain apps with constant use, apps in the background, and believe it or not, how you charge and when you charge your phone has a big impact. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have any important email that I need to be notified about, so I shut off the notifications for this and I manually check my email once every hour. Makes a big difference. I would recommend googling on how to save your battery, and it will tell you what can shut off, like background refresh. Lastly, Apple Rep told me if my battery goes below 80 on the health meter then it's time to decide about getting a new battery, for the phone will eventually start lagging, and be less responsive. As we say in medicine, it's going into heart failure.
I hear you and always set up my phones for manually checking mail, no background refresh, etc. This phone is the only one that I’ve experienced the poor battery. My grandson has my handed down X iPhone and his original battery at 87% is in better shape than my 12 Pro at 85%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.