Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Have the black but love that mulberry colour in the flesh, may get in future.

I haven't the line/seam on my black one.

Regarding lint, I find it's super easy to rub off with a finger.

guicane

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
London, UK
Compared the old 14PM Leather case to the new FineWoven 15PM and I'm returning it. I definitely dislike the feel of it and it feels real cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_9973.jpg
    IMG_9973.jpg
    801.6 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_9974.jpg
    IMG_9974.jpg
    901.8 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_9975.jpg
    IMG_9975.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_9976.jpg
    IMG_9976.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_9977.jpg
    IMG_9977.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_9978.jpg
    IMG_9978.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 353

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Compared the old 14PM Leather case to the new FineWoven 15PM and I'm returning it. I definitely dislike the feel of it and it feels real cheap.
Good pictures to compare.

When side by side like that, for all the faults and issues people have said to have had with Apple's leather, it looks a darn sight more premium than the FW!

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
I have a bad feeling about that joint on the bottom. I distinctly remember going through a couple older leather Apple cases that tore in that exact spot. (Don’t remember if this was for the Xs or something before that.)

I’ve been happy going naked with my 13 mini. I don’t anticipate using a case for any future phone. That’s especially true if I get something in titanium … I’ve been up to my elbows in the garden digging out Bermuda grass weeds with my Apple Watch Ultra; the display is pristine and the case just has a bit of polish around the edges of the bezel.

b&

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
View attachment 2263020

Screenshot comparison of the now defunct leather case from the 14 series, vs its successor, the Finewoven on the 15 series, from this YouTube video

Honestly, in my opinion, seeing the comparison above, I think I will really miss the leather cases. They just look far more premium. The Finewoven just looks like cardboard in comparison, which isn’t great - and carries the same premium price tag - but who knows, haven’t yet seen one in person, that might change my mind. Ironically, the sides of the case more closely resemble the old leather case.
Can buy a case from Andar or Bullstrap. They're higher quality than the Apple leather cases too.

Reactions: Lcgiv

mobidutch

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Texas
Already returned a 'finewoven' case and wallet at an Apple Store this morning. Holy heck that crap is beyond ugly. Yay for carbon footprint reduction, thumbs up on that. How about pleather instead? That has a much lower carbon footprint compared to leather production, and looks a hell of a lot better than this finewoven garbage.

spyderx

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
My finewoven (ie plastic with microfiber top) case in blue for the max just arrived.
Not impressed. Serious downgrade from the leather case. The back material looks like it was "stuck on" the the shell, sides are not wrapped in the material.

Will look at leather case options. Apples leather were quite good and i've used for many years.

Oh well... all for environmental friendliness or... more profit per unit? hmm....

spyderx

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Can buy a case from Andar or Bullstrap. They're higher quality than the Apple leather cases too.
How is the "bulk" on the Bullstrap case compared to apples? That was one thing I liked was how little bulk they added. The bull strap cases look super nice.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Here, Apple raised the price 10 bucks on the new cases compared to price tag on the leather case.
It's crazy that mostly recycled material should cost more than real leather.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Don’t have my case yet. Won’t get it until Wednesday, but my thought it it seems like the fabric on the HomePods. Just a bit more tight in it weave. Does anyone that has one feel like it can compare?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
These look far inferior than leather :(
I got mine today and the one on my current iPhone is the Apple brand leather case.

I agree that the FineWoven is inferior to the leather case. I much, much, much prefer leather cases, especially now that Apple figured out how to make them more durable. However, I am on board with the reason for the switch, and I am going to continue using my leather MagSafe wallet with it, so most of the time it will still kind of feel like leather.

Again though, I do agree with you. I imagine a LOT of case makers are going to start following suit, and I do think I'm going to miss leather phone cases but I'm also insanely worried about climate change so whaddaya do? (Yes, I realize how dumb and entitled that sounds coming from someone who is upgrading from a 14 Pro Max to a 15 Pro Max. :))

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Don’t have my case yet. Won’t get it until Wednesday, but my thought it it seems like the fabric on the HomePods. Just a bit more tight in it weave. Does anyone that has one feel like it can compare?
I think you're thinking of like the OtterBox woven case style of material. These aren't that. Orders of magnitude tighter weave than what you see on HomePods.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I think you're thinking of like the OtterBox woven case style of material. These aren't that. Orders of magnitude tighter weave than what you see on HomePods.

Oh like I said, tighter weave, but the material and softness. That’s what I was referring to

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Here's my current leather next to my FineWoven. My iPad's camera is making it look more blue, but to the naked eye it seems more like a grey suede. I did rub both around on my desk first to pick up some dust and lint and that didn't seem to happen, so I'm going to go ahead and chalk that up to not a huge concern.

I'm not sure what the sides are made of, but they feel closer to leather than silicone.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    674.7 KB · Views: 316

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I'd say probably softer? It feels like almost-suede if that makes any sense.

Awesome! That’s good news! I was so disappointed to lose leather. My favorite case ever since the first one the iPhone 5.

I would like to agree on climate change and helping the environment, but I think this was more of a money grab for Apple than anything. If it cost them money, they would have never made the switch.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Awesome! That’s good news! I was so disappointed to lose leather. My favorite case ever since the first one the iPhone 5.

I would like to agree on climate change and helping the environment, but I think this was more of a money grab for Apple than anything. If it cost them money, they would have never made the switch.
I'm going to reserve judgement on that until I spend a couple months with it, but I don't see myself liking it better than leather. I do think the fibers will start looking and feeling nice once they get roughed up a little bit and I do really like the side material.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I'm going to reserve judgement on that until I spend a couple months with it, but I don't see myself liking it better than leather. I do think the fibers will start looking and feeling nice once they get roughed up a little bit and I do really like the side material.

I am actually looking forward to using it. Hope it’s a great case. Thanks for the info!

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Sorry and I didn’t mean money grab in way that the case is bad. I just mean that it’s cheaper to manufacture than leather. Still can be a great case. Just not as premium as leather.

Reactions: Boardiesboi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.