Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobM_

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2021
Mine arrived today and I like it. I *always* buy the official leather case with a new iPhone, and while I love them, I always also end up buying a thinner case to use as well - I've been rotating between the official leather case and a Pitaka case on my 14 Pro.

The FineWoven case feels slightly thinner and lighter than the leather case, so I can absolutely see why people are disappointed, but for me it could be perfect. Nice quality, but not quite as thick, perhaps the right middle ground?

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
20230916_120335.jpg

Mine has come too. Looks and feels great but don't know how well it would age.

• Love
Reactions: Boardiesboi

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I keep reading so many negative comments which makes me reach for mine and see if I've lost my mind in liking it.
Every time I put it back happy with it.

That video with the guy who's cut one apart is a bit over the top. He's like, "Apple, come on!" regarding the soft layer between the woven material and plastic shell, both sides. What's the problem with that?
It's obviously there for added comfort and folk would moan if it was stuck straight to the shell or even cardboard or something.
The scratch marks I've seen no attempt to remove. It may disappear with a rub of a cloth. I'm not going to purposely mark mine to test but am sure there will be a way to make them vanish.
They should be cleanable too with a damp cloth with maybe a small amount of mild detergent.

I don't know, maybe if it starts to split and fray or gets permanently stained prematurely I'll join in the Lynch mob, but for now I'll give it a go. I like the look and I like how it feels when holding and that's all I have to go on for now.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
The scratch marks I've seen no attempt to remove
Someone else said they do not go away, I already packaged up the one I am returning so can't test that myself.

You may say we're exaggerating our hatred of the product, but you appear to be trying to rationalize your purchase of overpriced toilet paper.

Excuse me for being part of a "Lynch mob" (your words) for a POS case that was overpriced.

Ronin73

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2021
View attachment 2263020

Screenshot comparison of the now defunct leather case from the 14 series, vs its successor, the Finewoven on the 15 series, from this YouTube video

Honestly, in my opinion, seeing the comparison above, I think I will really miss the leather cases. They just look far more premium. The Finewoven just looks like cardboard in comparison, which isn’t great - and carries the same premium price tag - but who knows, haven’t yet seen one in person, that might change my mind. Ironically, the sides of the case more closely resemble the old leather case.
That dude needs to learn how to use the focus...it focuses more on his hands than the case.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
This is bizarre. Complaining FineWoven can be scratched. Bring back leather etc.

Leather is also prone to scratching. My car interior has some battle wounds. On a case, those scratches are what overtime help with the patina.

That being said, my Pro 12 leather case doesn’t have a single scratch on it. But then equally…

IMG_6417.jpeg

As I’ve said, Fine Woven may prove not to age well. But we don’t know that yet. Ripping one apart proves nothing. But if you’d prefer a leather case that looks like my one above, good for you. I’d rather take my chances on seeing how the FW ages and more importantly, if it stays together.

And as was said above, why would anyone complain that FW has a soft foam under it to make it more comfortable?

Long term it may end up that FW is junk. No denying that, and we’ll find out in time. But Apples leather cases have been rubbish for 3 years now. That seems to have been forgotten.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Someone else said they do not go away, I already packaged up the one I am returning so can't test that myself.

You may say we're exaggerating our hatred of the product, but you appear to be trying to rationalize your purchase of overpriced toilet paper.

Excuse me for being part of a "Lynch mob" (your words) for a POS case that was overpriced.
Nah, if it is it rubbish after a while using it then I'll have no problem stating so if the time comes.
Obviously I don't need to 'rationalise' my purchase as there's no problem sending back if I wanted to.

There does seem to be a Lynch mob (my words 😄) or a few who are maybe over passionate over something as trivial as a phone case.

Don't like, don't buy. Not sure? Buy and return if unhappy.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
This is bizarre. Complaining FineWoven can be scratched. Bring back leather etc.

Leather is also prone to scratching. My car interior has some battle wounds. On a case, those scratches are what overtime help with the patina.

That being said, my Pro 12 leather case doesn’t have a single scratch on it. But then equally…

View attachment 2264468

As I’ve said, Fine Woven may prove not to age well. But we don’t know that yet. Ripping one apart proves nothing. But if you’d prefer a leather case that looks like my one above, good for you. I’d rather take my chances on seeing how the FW ages and more importantly, if it stays together.

And as was said above, why would anyone complain that FW has a soft foam under it to make it more comfortable?

Long term it may end up that FW is junk. No denying that, and we’ll find out in time. But Apples leather cases have been rubbish for 3 years now. That seems to have been forgotten.
I guess I need to repeat myself. I never bought the leather cases from Apple nor did I want one for the 15. That doesn't change the fact that the FW case is pure garbage.

Legendary---

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
Put a light scratch in mine from my
Finger nail & it doesn’t come out.

I think I’ll be returning it.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Put a light scratch in mine from my
Finger nail & it doesn’t come out.

I think I’ll be returning it.
Yep saw that in a couple of videos so far too, it is clearly one of many flaws this case has. It is garbage. Maybe would be worth it at 10 bucks.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
No offense but you're out of your mind if you think Apple should use this material in the Apple Car. A car that would have an astronomically high price tag.

This material is junk, I noticed that immediately from it. We also have that infamous YouTube video of a guy marring it for life with his fingernail. Not to mention, how thin and fragile the material was.
No, like I said, this is a chance for Apple to test, and hopefully improve, the material. So the car will have an interior made from "Next generation FineWoven" or a thicker version or something.

Alcantara and leather also scratch. Plus, Apple has often been willing to use fragile materials and expect buyers to either baby them or live with the imperfections they pick up over time. If there is indeed an Apple Car coming, we know for sure it won't have leather inside after last week's event.

mobidutch

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Texas
No, like I said, this is a chance for Apple to test, and hopefully improve, the material. So the car will have an interior made from "Next generation FineWoven" or a thicker version or something.

Wait…so we’re supposed to pay 60 bucks to help Apple test stuff? I think not. Let’s just admit that once in a blue moon, Apple releases something that is a dud, a fail. And in this particular case, an abomination they should be ashamed of.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
I guess I need to repeat myself. I never bought the leather cases from Apple nor did I want one for the 15. That doesn't change the fact that the FW case is pure garbage.
You don’t need to repeat anything. I didn’t say you did buy leather, I’m generalising. And pointing out one of the ‘flaws’ of FW is intact a characteristic that makes people want leather. So there’s an irony there.

If people don’t like FW after purchase, cool. That’s life. But nobody know how well they’ll wear, yet. It’s all just speculation for now.

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California

View attachment 2264468

Agree with this. The leather cases were nice but got worn down and looked ugly if you had a light colored one. Should the FW be $60? No, but the silicone shouldn’t be $50 either. These are nicer than those. They should be $30/$40 maybe, but we all know Apple cases are expensive.

I like that they are thinner and hopefully the edges don’t look as nasty as the last three leather cases after a few months.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.