Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thermal

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
Let’s be Honest alright, the 15 series line up was was mediocre, disappointing, lame, BORING.
I guarantee that the next iphone will only come with 3 difference:
1) larger displays
2) a new button
3) “AI” integrated
I'll take this bet.

When the iPhone 16 series is introduced, if these are the only three differences, I'll buy you a $25 Amazon gift card. If there are more than these three differences, you buy me a $25 Amazon gift card.

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Let’s be Honest alright, the 15 series line up was was mediocre, disappointing, lame, BORING.
1) larger displays
2) a new button
3) “AI” integrated

Another Boring year ya’ll, so save the cash and skip, AGAIN.
Every year is going to be the best iPhone ever, thats a given. The 15 Pro Max may not have been an exciting update because the phone hardware remained inherently the same, but as a whole it's the best iPhone ever made. Great battery, 5x optical zoom along with an improved camera, etc etc etc. The 16 Pro Max will top this of course. But I think the point is, you can choose to upgrade every year, or you can choose to keep what you have and not be missing out on a lot. Apple does this purposely, they don't want to alienate their users into feeling they have to upgrade yearly. They know people do no matter what. They also know people hold on to their phones longer now. So they have to balance the amount of changes they introduce on a yearly basis.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Once you use a larger display, it's hard going back to a smaller one.
People keep telling me that, but I still got a 13 mini last week despite using an iPad as my main device for internet, mail and the likes. Played around for a long time with the 13pro if my gf, and tried to convince me that I wanted it, but in the end it's still too big - sticks out of the front pocket of my jeans like a sore thumb, can't really use it one-handed unless balancing it delicately in the middle, and too heavy (I'd be afraid that it breaks when I drop it) and while the zoom camera is nice, it is still a not very great tiny phone camera. In guess, if you use lots of different sized displays all the time, it's not thst hard. Otoh, I don't understand people who do everything on their relatively tiny 6-7 inch phablet screens.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2014
People keep telling me that, but I still got a 13 mini last week despite using an iPad as my main device for internet, mail and the likes. Played around for a long time with the 13pro if my gf, and tried to convince me that I wanted it, but in the end it's still too big - sticks out of the front pocket of my jeans like a sore thumb, can't really use it one-handed unless balancing it delicately in the middle, and too heavy (I'd be afraid that it breaks when I drop it) and while the zoom camera is nice, it is still a not very great tiny phone camera. In guess, if you use lots of different sized displays all the time, it's not thst hard. Otoh, I don't understand people who do everything on their relatively tiny 6-7 inch phablet screens.
I was once like you... 😎 My fav phone was the iPhone 5. I hated when I had to upgrade to the 6s. And Once I tried to use the SE redesign, I returned it. I also tried the 12mini but the battery life was too bad and I couldn't get used to the screen. My last phone prior my current 14PM was the Pixel 7 Pro. I just got used to it. But I accept your position.

In my opinion, Apple should have 3 phones that get updated with the latest chip every year: SE (similar to 12/13mini) for the purists, iPhone Pro, iPhone PM. I think that's the best way to please everyone. I'm actually not a fan of the non-Pro iPhones. I know they're for the market for people that want an entry level iPhone but maybe the SE I imagined above could fill that role instead.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
I don’t know if I believe Apple will add Wi-Fi 7 this year after how long it took to get Wi-Fi 6E in the iPhone, but I really hope they do add it.

Reactions: joecomo

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
On non-size related points...

Are users going to have to update hardware just to get AI software features? That's going to annoy a lot of users, surely.

Also, wonder if they'll change the name of Siri to something else to give it refresh with new AI features; rather like Google just changed its AI to Gemini (from Bard).
Looking at Apple's decision to only implementing the charge limit on the 15s and not anything prior. I am not going to be surprised if that is the case here. 😐

• Disagree
Reactions: foliovision

j_in_tx

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2018
Every year is going to be the best iPhone ever, thats a given. The 15 Pro Max may not have been an exciting update because the phone hardware remained inherently the same, but as a whole it's the best iPhone ever made. Great battery, 5x optical zoom along with an improved camera, etc etc etc. The 16 Pro Max will top this of course. But I think the point is, you can choose to upgrade every year, or you can choose to keep what you have and not be missing out on a lot. Apple does this purposely, they don't want to alienate their users into feeling they have to upgrade yearly. They know people do no matter what. They also know people hold on to their phones longer now. So they have to balance the amount of changes they introduce on a yearly basis.
as long as the carrier continues to subsidize the part of the cost of the iphone, why wouldn't you upgrade?

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
I wonder why they're adding 40w fast charging. AAPL has held out for years due to battery longevity concerns. New type of battery?
My question is bothering 40 w charging. Why the world do I want to even get a faster charger. I’m not a fan of android style that’s charging systems. Because the end Degeneration of your battery.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
Even though i am skipping this years update, all these little changes are building up to be a good upgrade from my iphone 12 pro max.

Hopefully we will get a design overhaul next year, with the rumoured punch hole design.

Reactions: Saturn1217

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
1) larger displays
2) a new button
3) “AI” integrated

Another Boring year ya’ll, so save the cash and skip, AGAIN.
Maybe Apple has something up their sleeve with the 16 Pro like a noticeable visual difference with the camera cluster or something?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Can't wait to upgrade from 14 Pro to 16 Pro. :) Even numbers are always big hardware changes.
Not always, but since I’m thinking about doing the same thing you’re doing, upgrading from the 14 Pro to the 16 Pro, I hope you’re right. A visual change with the camera cluster would be good. A circular cutout for the front camera which is rumored for next year’s iPhone will make it look like an Android phone and I think some iPhone users will be disappointed to have an iPhone that could be mistaken for an Android phone.

Reactions: gusmula

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
Once again, all the exciting innovations in smartphones are coming from China and South Korea.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
Once you use a larger display, it's hard going back to a smaller one. I'm sure there's a limit but the Pro Max isn't it. I'd be happy with a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra sized iPhone. But I do think that larger displays works better on Android because the back button and menus are at the bottom, where they belong. In iOS, where it's a jumbled mess with the back button at the very top and occasional menus at the bottom.
Not for me. I loved the 13 mini and being on the 15 pro is a bummer but I needed the battery life. If they came out with a 16 mini I’d be on it in a heartbeat.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
too bad we are going again big and bigger in physical dimensions...
The one thing that I miss about my old Note 20 Ultra is the 6.9 inch screen. Oh, and the lighter weight. 207 grams vs. the 240 grams of my 14PM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.