Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Looks like it will be another year with the iPhone 13 Mini for me.
Battery currently at 89%… does all I need and oh, so very, very pocketable.
I'm not sure how all of you saying "I'm going to hold onto my ... phone for another year don't see that what you're really saying is that Apple's phones are so good you can hold onto them 4-5 years. IF you're not moved to upgrade, what you're saying is that your old phone is still good. That's a PLUS, not a negative.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
oh for goodness sake this is getting silly now.

ITS TOO EARLY TO COMPARE THE CURRENT PHONE TO ONE THAT WONT BE REVEALED FOR ANOTHER 5 MONTHS.

These articles get earlier and earlier.

I mean, are we that confident that we know this much detail for the 'secret' iPhone 16 that we can make comparisons so soon???

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
There has never been a feature I have found worthy of a 1 year upgrade. I have kept all of my iPhones a minimum of 2 years.

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
I just finished putting a new battery into my iPhone 6 Plus. Not too hard except for the tiny connections, and even tinier screws (smallest screws I have ever seen). Damn those screws. So a few more years of use. Lots of reasons to flame me (e.g. security, camera, etc.), but I feel really good not pursuing the new & shiny, and helping Octavia (oops Mother Earth). If you are on the fence, the Ed Begley lifestyle (early Ed not so much current Ed) is good for the soul.

Reactions: gusmula

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
In for WiFi 7. The 6E is inadequate at best for range, keeps me just barely connected enough to cause things to load slowly instead of booting me to cellular. This in spots where I had perfect WiFi 6 coverage.

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
This probably sounds foolish, but I look forward to the upgrades even if minimal. I don't upgrade a lot of things on every refresh (anymore) ... just the iPhone. So this is sort of a way of treating myself to something "good" if you will.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I'm not sure how all of you saying "I'm going to hold onto my ... phone for another year don't see that what you're really saying is that Apple's phones are so good you can hold onto them 4-5 years. IF you're not moved to upgrade, what you're saying is that your old phone is still good. That's a PLUS, not a negative.
Yes, you are correct, lifespan of a smartphone is becoming longer and longer, but, MR folks need to find something to complain about, so there’s that

• Wow
Reactions: SidricTheViking

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Everything seems fine. But man… glossy frames? Ugh. Aside from looking tackier, glossy frames will show more finger printing. I really like the current brushed Ti frames. A lot.

Reactions: Stormshadow

FlimFlamDude

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2021
too bad we are going again big and bigger in physical dimensions...
It's ridiculous and annoying. Why? Can't make ONE model smaller like the SE anymore? Mini?? Why??? They're making me never upgrade, because do I really even NEED to?? No.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Why is that bad?
Industry trends.... this could be cyclic and we revert to smaller and smaller phones again.

Once you have Apple glasses that provide a full screen anywhere and are just as unobtrusive and allow you to be situational aware as not wearing a headset... ie spectacles... it's likely people will want a smaller phone again.. or actually just have an Apple Watch and no iPhone.

emmab2006

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
Stoke on trent
should you upgrade from a 15 to a 16. are people this Rich to do this? I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max, and compared to my friends 15, speed-wise wise opening apps and doing normal stuff is the same! phones have crossed a line now where it's getting diminishing returns on what improvements there are.

BorisDG

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Bulgaria, EU
should you upgrade from a 15 to a 16. are people this Rich to do this? I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max, and compared to my friends 15, speed-wise wise opening apps and doing normal stuff is the same! phones have crossed a line now where it's getting diminishing returns on what improvements there are.
You upgrade if you care for new features. Otherwise an 3-4 year old phone will perform great.

banfiz

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2017
London, England
The A18 processor still uses the 3NE process from TSMC. That is the same half way house as the M3 chip. With chip using the N3B process coming out this year as the M4 then the next A chip (A19) will also be N3B and as such properly redesigned to take full advantage of the 3nm process.
So along with whatever other improvements the iPhone 17 gives it will get a very much more efficient and powerfull CPU than the A17 to the A18.

Reactions: Stormshadow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.