Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rembert

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Amsterdam area, Netherlands
I don’t care at all about these phones which are named “pro” but are everything but pro. They have top-features, giga screen, fabulous camera, extremely fashionable. But pro? Nope. A pro phone is a phone usable day-by-day, to be carried around in a pocket (ever checked women’s pants pockets?), usable for phone calls and such (ever tried airpods and a watch? What pro needs the big screen?). That phone exists. It’s calles the mini and it’s great. Pro’s using a mini often carry around a macbook or at least an iPad (hello 15” iPad Air! You are so welcome). Even the mini is still a tad big for one-handed use. The market is big enough as long as Apple doesn’t stupididly cannibalizes its own market with both a mini and a similar sized SE and odd launching dates.
It seems the SE is also growing now and will now likely cannibalize the standard iPhone soon.

And that iPhone Pro? Let’s just call it the iPhone Fashion or iPhone Ridiculous or even iPhone Snob.

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
so your hands gets also bigger and bigger, our pockets gets bigger and bigger..so you dont have anything against if Apple and Samsung goes with 8" displays in 4 years?! Lets get real, 6.5-6.7" its ok for a "big phone". When we draw a line since the borders now are at their limits...so you cannot go larger display without getting also larger physical dimensions
Lets travel with our phone not with mini tablets
If only our wallets were also getting bigger and bigger.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don’t care at all about these phones which are named “pro” but are everything but pro. They have top-features, giga screen, fabulous camera, extremely fashionable. But pro? Nope. A pro phone is a phone usable day-by-day, to be carried around in a pocket (ever checked women’s pants pockets?), usable for phone calls and such (ever tried airpods and a watch? What pro needs the big screen?)…
Well, for my professional job I often have to edit Google sheets documents, for example, on my phone and a small screen makes this harder; and no, the existence of an iPad Mini does not eliminate that need for me because my company will MDM a phone but they wont MDM a phone and a personal tablet. The current 15 Pro is smaller than my XR in its case and I have zero problems carrying the XR around in my pockets all day.

I think Apple should keep offering the Mini, but a iPhone Mini would be less pro to me than a iPhone Pro.

Reactions: Supermallet

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Once you use a larger display, it's hard going back to a smaller one. I'm sure there's a limit but the Pro Max isn't it. I'd be happy with a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra sized iPhone. But I do think that larger displays works better on Android because the back button and menus are at the bottom, where they belong. In iOS, where it's a jumbled mess with the back button at the very top and occasional menus at the bottom.
Some of us actually have to leave the house daily, and can't be bothered to carry a purse with us the whole time just to be able to put a phone somewhere, because its too big to fit in our pants pockets

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Well, for my professional job I often have to edit Google sheets documents, for example, on my phone and a small screen makes this harder; and no, the existence of an iPad Mini does not eliminate that need for me because my company will MDM a phone but they wont MDM a phone and a personal tablet. The current 15 Pro is smaller than my XR in its case and I have zero problems carrying the XR around in my pockets all day.

I think Apple should keep offering the Mini, but a iPhone Mini would be less pro to me than a iPhone Pro.
The mini itself was actually a pro in the "small sized phones" category. It was basically normal iphone, cramped into smaller chassis.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The mini itself was actually a pro in the "small sized phones" category. It was basically normal iphone, cramped into smaller chassis.
That’s fine, but the iPhone Mini’s small size doesn’t make it more professional than the larger phones which is what Rembert said. But this is a purely academic argument since Pro in Apple’s world usually just means the best specs instead of professional, and the iPhone Mini did not have the best iPhone specs in the same way that the iPad Mini doesn't. Size is not an objective spec, its a subjective preference.

Last edited:

MrSegundus

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2021
the days of "exciting" updates year over year are over, people don't upgrade every year anymore, but for plenty people on older iPhones the new ones will be exciting ...
But they’ll still be functionally the same as older iPhones.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Camera improvements, slightly larger display and a new button to take photos. Will be a good upgrade!

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
nothing in it for me.
I was SO happy when the 15pro turned out to be a little narrower and lighter than previous models - that made a big difference for me.
16pro even bigger and maybe heavier than before.....
Nope

Reactions: antonrg

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
People complaining about all the amazing improvements in this year's phone probably need to go 5 minutes without being an over-consumer and look at this phone from someone that is upgraded from something much much older. This phone is an improvement in every way for me but quite a bit. I'm probably going with the Pro Max when this comes out later.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
The ugly camera bump just totally kills me. Why they STILL cannot figure out how to make it thinner? I remember how thin and sleek my iPhone 5 was, peak industrial design. And what’s this, a three-eyed alien?

rxp

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2018
I'm interested in upgrading my 12 mini and was hoping for a light weight pro version. I've figured out that approx 170g is ok for me but once again they're getting heavier/bigger.

I guess the market has spoken & phone addiction is real. At least running belts mean you can easily run with a larger phone now days but I hate having my s22 ultra in my pocket - which is why I swapped it with my wife's Iphone 12 mini.

Reactions: antonrg

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I feel like I’m done giving my money to Apple until there is worthwhile change. Same with the watches. It’s the same thing every year and I’m honestly tired of it.

Reactions: Stormshadow

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
now 30 "improvements" over the 15PM, and I'm still not convinced that I need to upgrade from my 13PM ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.