Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After over a year of reports, there are now more than a dozen specific rumors about the features and improvements set to be offered by the two non-Pro iPhone 16 models later in 2024.

iPhone-15-vs-16-Feature-Yellow-Pink.jpg

All of the changes the iPhone 16 models are expected to feature compared to their direct forerunners are listed below, using information from a range of reliable sources that we have previously covered. We will update this article as more rumors emerge in the coming months.

This guide focuses on the iPhone 15 and iPhone 16, but to learn about how we are expecting the iPhone 16 Pro to improve on the iPhone 15 Pro, see our other comparison article.

Design

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus are expected to largely carry over the design of their predecessors, meaning that they will have the same dimensions. The most noticeable alteration that will denote the new models is said to be a vertical rear camera arrangement to facilitate spatial video capture, but the removal of the mute switch in favor of the Action button introduced on last year's Pro models and the introduction of an all-new "Capture" button will also be important changes.

iPhone 15iPhone 16
Diagonally arranged rear camera arrayVertically arranged rear camera array to support spatial video capture
Ring/Silent switchAction Button
"Capture Button" to trigger photography and videography features
iPhone 15: 171g weight
iPhone 15 Plus: 201g weight
iPhone 16: 173g weight (+1%)
iPhone 16 Plus: 203g weight (+1%)

Chip, Memory, and Connectivity

The iPhone 16 models are rumored to benefit from a moderate improvement in processing power thanks to an all-new A18 chip with a more powerful Neural Engine to support exclusive generative AI capabilities. We are also expecting 33% more memory and Wi-Fi 6E support.

iPhone 15iPhone 16
A16 Bionic chip (TSMC's "N4P" enhanced 5nm process)A18 chip (TSMC's "N3E" enhanced 3nm process)
16-core Neural EngineEnhanced Neural Engine with "significantly" more cores to support new AI features
6GB memory8GB memory (+33%)
Wi-Fi 6 connectivityWi-Fi 6E connectivity

Batteries and Charging

The iPhone 16 models could receive some major improvements in battery technology and charging, sporting denser batteries and faster charging capabilities. It is worth noting that the iPhone 16 Plus is rumored to feature a smaller battery than its predecessor, but it is not clear how this will affect actual battery life.

iPhone 15iPhone 16
Single-layer battery technologyStacked battery technology for increased energy density and prolonged lifespan
iPhone 15: 3,349 mAh battery
iPhone 15 Plus: 4,383 mAh battery
iPhone 16: 3,561 mAh battery (+6%)
iPhone 16 Plus: 4,006 mAh battery (-9%)
Up to 27W wired chargingUp to 40W wired charging (48% faster)
15W charging via MagSafe20W charging via MagSafe (33% faster)

Other Features and Changes

The iPhone 16 models are likely to receive several camera enhancements, such as spatial video capture for the Apple Vision Pro. While many of Apple's devices are rumored to receive a series of new AI-based features via software updates later this year, the iPhone 16 models are expected to take these further with exclusive capabilities facilitated by a more powerful Neural Engine in the A18 chip and an upgraded microphone for voice commands.

iPhone 15iPhone 16
More efficient OLED display with brighter micro-lens technology
Spatial video capture
Upcoming support for new AI features in iOS 18Upcoming support for new AI features in iOS 18, plus a suite of device-exclusive AI features
MicrophoneUpgraded microphone with improved signal-to-noise ratio and water resistance, designed to support new AI features
Available in Blue, Pink, Green, Yellow, and BlackAvailable in Blue, Pink, Green, Yellow, Black, White, and Purple

Release Date

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus are expected to launch in the fall. Apple usually hosts an event every September to unveil new iPhone models, with launch following just over a week later. For more information about the iPhone 16 models, see our comprehensive roundup.

Will It Be Worth Upgrading?

The iPhone 15 was a significant upgrade over 2023's iPhone 14, introducing a new design with a the Dynamic Island, a 48-megapixel camera, a USB-C port, and more. The iPhone 16's upgrades will likely not be as substantial as those offered by its predecessor. As a result, most iPhone 15 users will have little reason to upgrade, but some who would appreciate AI features, improved performance, spatial video capture, and a dedicated button for photography and videography features may find it worthwhile.

Article Link: iPhone 15 vs. iPhone 16: 15+ Rumored Upgrades Compared

Last edited:

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
What really and only interests me is if there will be a Product Red version again.
That said, paying basically double of what I paid for my XR (due to price increases and my carrier having cancelled all loyalty rebates save a pittance) is not something I'm looking for. Not at all.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
The action button for me is just one of those innovative things, that don’t seem like much at first glance…but the flexibility is amazing.
While I'm pro-Action Button, it does feel like a toe-dip into something more robust. Interested to see how it evolves.
Hopefully, that vocal anti-Touch Bar posse doesn't also come for the Action Button. 🙄

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
I have a 15 Plus. That smaller battery capacity in the 16 Plus concerns me. I’ll have to keep an eye on how that actually turns out. More RAM is nice but I really don’t care about anything else the 16 series appears to be offering - particularly spatial video and AI-based features.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I have a 15 Plus. That smaller battery capacity in the 16 Plus concerns me. I’ll have to keep an eye on how that actually turns out. More RAM is nice but I really don’t care about anything else the 16 series appears to be offering - particularly spatial video and AI-based features.

"Buy an Apple Vision Pro and make the most out of your iPhone 16 Ultra".

Reactions: SFjohn

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
I again did the side by side comparison on Apple's web site of the iPhone 15 Pro Max and my iPhone 14 Pro Max both with 1TB of memory. There were actually too few changes to justify spending close to $1,800 when including sales taxes and Apple Care Plus.

There needs to be some earth shattering changes in the iPhone 16 Pro top model to justify that cost plus the forecast price increases. One can not even get a real leather case from Apple but for the same price they offer a cheap fabric one.

My current iPhone takes photos and makes and receives calls, messages and emails just fine.

Maybe this could be the year where Apple has iOS perfect from day one, but I doubt that will happen. It takes until the following spring to get the most recent onerous bugs worked out. There are still persistent issues iOS dating from years back still not addressed.

I wonder if the phrase by Sarah Palin of "putting Lip Stick on a pig results in the animal still being a pig" applies here as well.

A side button change is not the carrot for me to upgrade.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I will try a Fold this year. Need something new to play around with. I still got a 15 Plus for my iOS needs and honestly it gotten boring, it’s basically the same thing as my old 12 PM. Being able to use the same WhatsApp account on multiple phones nowadays certainly helps making the „switch“ / using both simultaneously

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I have a 13 and my contract ends a little after Sep. I'm convinced to jump up to the 16 and not bother with the 15 even at a discount.

Reactions: xnu and thermal

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
While I'm pro-Action Button, it does feel like a toe-dip into something more robust. Interested to see how it evolves.
Hopefully, that vocal anti-Touch Bar posse doesn't also come for the Action Button. 🙄
In my opinion, yeah, the Action Button is a great addition, but as you said, it lacks the ability to perform multiple actions. We all know that. If you configure it for whatever other action, you completely lose the ability to quickly put the iPhone in silence. I could see myself using control center for that, but now when I do it on my iPad, most of the times I forget to check it.

The other aspect of the action button that I’d change, is the location.

But yeah, overall it’s a nice addition. And if someone wants to just have the mute switch, they can leave the Action Button with that function.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Up to 27W wired chargingUp to 40W wired charging (48% faster)
15W charging via MagSafe20W charging via ‌MagSafe‌ (25% faster)

Hmm… isn't the predicted MagSafe charging 33% faster?!

5 watts more vs. the 15 is 5/15 = 1/3 = 33%!

After all, wired charging is 48% faster and that’s because it's expected to go from 27 to 40W — or 13/27 = 48%!

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
While I do like the new design, I’m not sure I like the new placement of the flashlight. Don’t ask me where would I put it, because on that island it doesn’t fit, so I don’t know where would I put it, but definitely not there.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.