Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
It never usually makes any senseto compare the new withlast years model. Comparing two or three releases back is what makes sense for most people.

I’m comparing the 16 pro rumors to my 13 pro and it looks like another iteration I’m going to skip…

Bacasable

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2021
France

After over a year of reports, there are now more than a dozen specific rumors about the features and improvements set to be offered by the two non-Pro iPhone 16 models later in 2024.

iPhone-15-vs-16-Feature-Yellow-Pink.jpg

All of the changes the iPhone 16 models are expected to feature compared to their direct forerunners are listed below, using information from a range of reliable sources that we have previously covered. We will update this article as more rumors emerge in the coming months.

This guide focuses on the iPhone 15 and iPhone 16, but to learn about how we are expecting the iPhone 16 Pro to improve on the iPhone 15 Pro, see our other comparison article.

Design

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus are expected to largely carry over the design of their predecessors, meaning that they will have the same dimensions. The most noticeable alteration that will denote the new models is said to be a vertical rear camera arrangement to facilitate spatial video capture, but the removal of the mute switch in favor of the Action button introduced on last year's Pro models and the introduction of an all-new "Capture" button will also be important changes.

iPhone 15iPhone 16
Diagonally arranged rear camera arrayVertically arranged rear camera array to support spatial video capture
Ring/Silent switchAction Button
"Capture Button" to trigger photography and videography features
iPhone 15: 171g weight
iPhone 15 Plus: 201g weight
iPhone 16: 173g weight (+1%)
iPhone 16 Plus: 203g weight (+1%)

Chip, Memory, and Connectivity

The iPhone 16 models are rumored to benefit from a moderate improvement in processing power thanks to an all-new A18 chip with a more powerful Neural Engine to support exclusive generative AI capabilities. We are also expecting 33% more memory and Wi-Fi 6E support.

iPhone 15iPhone 16
A16 Bionic chip (TSMC's "N4P" enhanced 5nm process)A18 chip (TSMC's "N3E" enhanced 3nm process)
16-core Neural EngineEnhanced Neural Engine with "significantly" more cores to support new AI features
6GB memory8GB memory (+33%)
Wi-Fi 6 connectivityWi-Fi 6E connectivity

Batteries and Charging

The iPhone 16 models could receive some major improvements in battery technology and charging, sporting denser batteries and faster charging capabilities. It is worth noting that the iPhone 16 Plus is rumored to feature a smaller battery than its predecessor, but it is not clear how this will affect actual battery life.

iPhone 15iPhone 16
Single-layer battery technologyStacked battery technology for increased energy density and prolonged lifespan
iPhone 15: 3,349 mAh battery
iPhone 15 Plus: 4,383 mAh battery
iPhone 16: 3,561 mAh battery (+6%)
iPhone 16 Plus: 4,006 mAh battery (-9%)
Up to 27W wired chargingUp to 40W wired charging (48% faster)
15W charging via MagSafe20W charging via MagSafe (33% faster)

Other Features and Changes

The iPhone 16 models are likely to receive several camera enhancements, such as spatial video capture for the Apple Vision Pro. While many of Apple's devices are rumored to receive a series of new AI-based features via software updates later this year, the iPhone 16 models are expected to take these further with exclusive capabilities facilitated by a more powerful Neural Engine in the A18 chip and an upgraded microphone for voice commands.

iPhone 15iPhone 16
More efficient OLED display with brighter micro-lens technology
Spatial video capture
Upcoming support for new AI features in iOS 18Upcoming support for new AI features in iOS 18, plus a suite of device-exclusive AI features
MicrophoneUpgraded microphone with improved signal-to-noise ratio and water resistance, designed to support new AI features
Available in Blue, Pink, Green, Yellow, and BlackAvailable in Blue, Pink, Green, Yellow, Black, White, and Purple

Release Date

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus are expected to launch in the fall. Apple usually hosts an event every September to unveil new iPhone models, with launch following just over a week later. For more information about the iPhone 16 models, see our comprehensive roundup.

Will It Be Worth Upgrading?

The iPhone 15 was a significant upgrade over 2023's iPhone 14, introducing a new design with a the Dynamic Island, a 48-megapixel camera, a USB-C port, and more. The iPhone 16's upgrades will likely not be as substantial as those offered by its predecessor. As a result, most iPhone 15 users will have little reason to upgrade, but some who would appreciate AI features, improved performance, spatial video capture, and a dedicated button for photography and videography features may find it worthwhile.

Article Link: iPhone 15 vs. iPhone 16: 15+ Rumored Upgrades Compared
No no and no, I keep my 13 mini because … it’s a mini !

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I am on the fence about it. I have a 14 PM that I want to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I should jump on a deal for the previous generation when the 16 is released, or just go straight ahead to the latest and greatest. Something tells me I won't make use of the new buttons though.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
They seem to purposely hold things back from what they "could" do each year, in order to give themselves "new features" each year.

It's a pretty sad state of things ... to know we could be getting better devices sooner, but instead they stretch it out for maximum milkage of their customer base.

Sign me up for "Tim's Retirement"
This annual schtick has worn really thin
Not to defend what they're doing, but they did this with the Palm OS PDA handhelds as well back in the 90s to 10s. New model iterations early on where major...
--going from 30 to 60 MHz processor, into 144 MHz+
--Going from 4-shade grayscale to 16-shade grayscale
--Going from grayscale to 256 colors
--Going from 256 colors to 16K colors

--2MB of storage, into 16MB, and beyond!
They all had SD/MMC card support, but it's still more ideal to run apps off the device.
--Going from 160x160 resolution screens to 320x320
--320x320 to 480x320
--Stuff with Voice recorders, cameras, bumps in MP, adding video recording

..... they don't want to create the "ultimate device" I suspect b/c 1) they'd have no where to go if they don't pace themselves, and 2) it'd be too expensive for more of the masses, or even the more techie bunch.

With iPhones, I agree with many who just say you should upgrade at most every 2 years (esp. if you're still on that "contract cycle" like we do in the US). If your phone breaks or gets stolen, ofc. all bets are off.

With Android phones, I just use mine for as long as possible. 2 to 5 years. I went from a Google Pixel 4A to Pixel 6 b/c the screen was too narrow (made certain games and apps in landscape mode impossible or very difficult to use). Another is battery life takes too big of a hit over time.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
These upgrades are so subtle. It does seem to add up over 3 or so years.

I like my 15 tho. The battery life is great, somehow the camera seems better than I thought it would be. And the Dynamic Island is a nice touch. But they’re all really small things. Take it or leave it.
I never confirmed nor checked, but I'm assuming they're not "giving with one hand, while taking with another". In other words, not some "sidegrade" where something gets better, at the cost of another feature. Or... a feature goes from "x to x+30%" efficiency for one new model, but then back down to "x+10%", and then "x+30%" again, so you'd think "model 4" is "+50%" faster/better, but it's really no net gain.

Reactions: Jovijoker

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
I used Apple's comparison of the iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB vs iPhone 15 Pro Max 1TB. The four or five incremental changes did not justify spending close to $2,000 (taxes and Apple care included).

My wife gets the prior model from me and her iPhone then goes to one of her four daughters.

So the iPhone 16 Pro Max 1TB (or maybe 2TB) will get the same comparison. I expect the total out the door price could be 10% higher with more memory and a super zoom telephoto lense as mentioned in the rumor mills.

My iPhone model 14 still makes and receives calls, sends and receives emails and texts and takes good photos.

Those are the primary functions of a cell phone, right?

Are we now to the point of putting a Ferrari V8 into VW Beetle? The Bug's shape and suspension controls how fast it can go. So the real world WiFi and cellular speeds limit how fast the cell phone does it's work.

Just saying.....

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I used Apple's comparison of the iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB vs iPhone 15 Pro Max 1TB. The four or five incremental changes did not justify spending close to $2,000 (taxes and Apple care included).

My wife gets the prior model from me and her iPhone then goes to one of her four daughters.

So the iPhone 16 Pro Max 1TB (or maybe 2TB) will get the same comparison. I expect the total out the door price could be 10% higher with more memory and a super zoom telephoto lense as mentioned in the rumor mills.

My iPhone model 14 still makes and receives calls, sends and receives emails and texts and takes good photos.
If I had the 15 I would think long and hard about upgrading to the 16. I’m sure there are those who are going to jump on this upgrade.
Those are the primary functions of a cell phone, right?
Yes. Make phone calls, check emails, check Facebook. But there are those who want more and that is available to them.
Are we now to the point of putting a Ferrari V8 into VW Beetle? The Bug's shape and suspension controls how fast it can go. So the real world WiFi and cellular speeds limit how fast the cell phone does it's work.

Just saying.....
That’s how tech goes. Look at the difference in horsepower from then a max to today.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Since I'm a Mini user (previously SE1) and only want a small phone, Apple has made me "upgrade never"

lol
What is the last "mini-sized" iPhone? I think it was 2 years ago? I'm trying to think what the last "mini-sized" Android phone was and all I can come up with is the Google Pixel 4A, but that was back in Aug. 2020. I don't pay attention to these things, but I'm curious now

alongdingdong

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2014
I am still hanging on my Iphone 13 mini for hopefully another 2 year, but my next phone will be a foldable phone.

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
My iPhone 13 mini is for international travel because of the SIM slot. Most places (like the UK) require a contract for the eSIM. That means a UK address and bank account which I have but the minimum for being away is outrageous. Pay As You Go is 5 £ per month to keep the account alive. If the Mini dies, the cheapest cell phone with a SIM slot on Verizon service will have to do.

Note that on our travels in the south half of Africa, there were no eSIMs at the border crossings but there were inexpensive SIM cards.

So my iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB might morph into an iPhone 16 Pro Max if there is enough change to justify a $2,000 expenditure. My wife is still happy with my iPhone 13 Pro Max 1TB.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.