Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I wonder when, if ever, the base iphone will get >60Hz screen.

In any case, if this is true, 16 will be yet another gen I skip unless my 13 Pro breaks or gets stolen.
Yep its becoming a bit of a joke now from Apple. All the Galaxy S24 range of phones now have 120 hz Adaptive refresh screens (exactly the same as Pro-motion), and here we are in 2024 and the regular iphones still have 60hz displays, which is likely to follow suit with the Iphone 16 and 16 plus.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yep its becoming a bit of a joke now from Apple. All the Galaxy S24 range of phones now have 120 hz Adaptive refresh screens (exactly the same as Pro-motion), and here we are in 2024 and the regular iphones still have 60hz displays, which is likely to follow suit with the Iphone 16 and 16 plus.

I think Apple are either being cheap with their specs for maximum profit whilst taking not a blind bit of notice of the market, or they don’t have enough innovative features for their Pro lines to make a clear difference in their pricing.

It is ridiculous that in 2024 Apple are still releasing standard iPhone for £800-£1100 with 60hz displays dual camera systems.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
It is ridiculous that in 2024 Apple are still releasing standard iPhone for £800-£1100 with 60hz displays dual camera systems.
It is ridiculous but that pricing structure makes ignorant consumers justify spending insane amounts of money on their "Pro" phones when those features should be a bare minimum in this day and age. It's all about creating (or manipulating) a contrast.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Everybody I know with a 15 Pro has defaulted the action button as their mute switch. Thats probably what I would do to be honest as I use the mute switch daily and losing it would be a real pain in the backside.
I experimented with making the default action open the trunk on my Tesla. I do like the default mute though.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Is this the start of the unuglification of the iPhone, or will they manage to pull off an even uglier design even with a vertical layout? My money is on the latter.

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
Apple have completely locked me out of their iphone ecosystem by making phones that are just stupidly, ridiculously, idiotically too big. No idea what i'm going to buy when my 13 mini dies, but I refuse to look like a toddler carrying around an ipad.
The regular iPhone is like half the display area of an iPad mini. For most of the things people do on a modern smartphone, the regular iPhone is really pretty small. If people aren’t using it for browsing, media consumption, email, games etc why even get a smartphone? A flip phone would work for calls and texts. I got a regular 15 this year and can’t get past how small it is and how cramped it feels compared to the Plus/Max.

I’m a girl thats 5’9”, though I do have piano fingers, but I can’t see this tiny thing being “huge” to anyone. When I see people using an iPhone mini it looks like a toy to me, honestly.

If any of you are going based just on the screen size being the same as the iPhone 11 or XR, go hold a regular 15 in your hand

It’s extra work for both Apple and software devs to continue to support so many display resolutions, especially if a foldable is coming too

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
My wife has iPhone 12 Pro so she will receive the 16 Pro as a gift for her birthday. I will inherit the 12 Pro and put my X on craiglist. This is the dynamics we have followed for over a decade now. Yeah, I'm this type of guy who buys every few years the latest and greatest flagship iPhone but always has 3-4 generations old one...

P.s. the iPhone 16 would have most of the exclusive features of the iPhone 15 Pro and the latest chips, cameras, microphones, etc will be reserved for the 16 Pro version, as always.

rembert

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Amsterdam area, Netherlands
If Apple is reading the comments: I don’t care at all about all those changes and improvents as long as no mini is expected or announced.
The expected, grown, new SE doesn’t make sense but for probably being a budget phone. It will likely cannibalize the base iPhone just as it had done with the mini. Maybe that will tell Apple to reconsider the mini? Meanwhile I’ll just stick to my 13-mini for another year. I actually wouldn’t mind if Apple would keep this phone as it is in their lineup. It’s the perfect phone for pro’s.

tcatsninfan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2022
I have a 13 Mini, and the rumored specs for the 16 make it a pretty competitive upgrade. A18 vs. A15, Action and Capture buttons, 8GB RAM vs. 6GB, etc.

I think the main thing that's going to hold me back is the color options. I don't use a case with my phone, so this is actually relevant to me, and I've had numerous people compliment the dark green iPhone 13 that I have at the moment. It's probably my favorite color that Apple has ever released, and I was totally shocked that the iPhone 15 basically only comes in pastel colors. If they repeat the pastel choices and offer black as the only dark color iPhone 16, I'll probably wait for the 17.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
If Apple is reading the comments: I don’t care at all about all those changes and improvents as long as no mini is expected or announced.
The expected, grown, new SE doesn’t make sense but for probably being a budget phone. It will likely cannibalize the base iPhone just as it had done with the mini. Maybe that will tell Apple to reconsider the mini? Meanwhile I’ll just stick to my 13-mini for another year. I actually wouldn’t mind if Apple would keep this phone as it is in their lineup. It’s the perfect phone for pro’s.

Dumping the mini line was a mistake. Obviously profit is paramount, but at the expense of the brand long term? Not so sure. Apple are slowly alienating an important segment of fans and they’re destroying the X-factor in the process. Obviously a majority of Max proponents will disagree, and of course that’s fine, but would it really have hurt Apple to have kept low volume mini production alive? Or would it even bring them favour in the eyes of many?

They don’t currently sell one single iPhone or MacBook that I could gladly buy. Everything is compromised, gimped or extortionately priced. Or all three. Bad JuJu.

Last edited:

simidene

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
I am a little confused, the iPhone 15 lineup are not able to perform any AI at all? Why does the phone need a new chip to perform AI? How about call screening etc, the 15pro can't handle that? Lets get with it Apple!

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I am a little confused, the iPhone 15 lineup are not able to perform any AI at all? Why does the phone need a new chip to perform AI? How about call screening etc, the 15pro can't handle that? Lets get with it Apple!
It is where is the dividing line between intrinsic versus supporting on-line/cloud computing capabilities. It’s not one or the other but will lie in the grey area between the two. Newer chips would just have more intrinsic (faster response) capabilities.

Reactions: tomchr9

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Is this the start of the unuglification of the iPhone, or will they manage to pull off an even uglier design even with a vertical layout? My money is on the latter.
While Timmy is in control I can't see unification of anything. He has gone full 1990s Microsoft on the Apple line up; It's never been more confusing (and ugly/boring).

The_No10

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2022
Personally, we’re approaching dangerous territory with people expecting “big” updates each cycle. Most of the people who want these updates, don’t understand the concept of financial literacy, much less actually being disciplined enough to save for the future. It’s actually pretty scary how younger people are so consumed with the newest tech, that all they do is basically lease everything in their lives…Long gone are the days of spending a grand on something, taking care of it, and build wealth in the meantime…

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
^ This the system that has been sold to folks. There was a time in history when people bought a new car every year…

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I have a 13 and will upgrade to the 15 when it gets a price cut - usually after the next model comes out. The 16 seems wanting when compared to what the 17 brings - especially thinner borders and Gorilla Glass. Makes the 16 seem like a placeholder not an upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.