Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I just want rounded sides again.
That becomes slippery to hold. But I think they do need to do something to make it more comfortable to hold. Maybe a combination of smoothing the edges and using a grippier coating. The real problem is the phone is too heavy.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
That becomes slippery to hold. But I think they do need to do something to make it more comfortable to hold. Maybe a combination of smoothing the edges and using a grippier coating. The real problem is the phone is too heavy.
I never found any phone with rounded sides to be slippery, maybe you don't have a good hand grip.

On the other side of things the phones with flat sides are painful to hold at times, literally, as the edges dig into your hand.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I never found any phone with rounded sides to be slippery, maybe you don't have a good hand grip.

On the other side of things the phones with flat sides are painful to hold at times, literally, as the edges dig into your hand.
I didn't have this problem with my iPhone 5S and SE 2016. Very comfortable to hold.

On the other hand, the iPhone SE 2022 I am using now (without a case) feels like a bar of soap.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I didn't have this problem with my iPhone 5S and SE 2016. Very comfortable to hold.

On the other hand, the iPhone SE 2022 I am using now (without a case) feels like a bar of soap.
I have never used a phone without a case so in that regard I don't know.

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
Apple Announces iPhone 16 Spokesperson:

Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 10.27.52 AM.jpg

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
It never usually makes any senseto compare the new withlast years model. Comparing two or three releases back is what makes sense for most people.

Reactions: Chuckeee

mtrm

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
Portugal
It’s nice to see stuff trickling down from the pro model to the baseline model. I just can’t understand why the heck something such as WiFi 6E (that the vast majority of people won’t benefit from because they don’t have a WiFi 6E capable router or a fast enough connection) trickles down in 1 year, whilst a 120hz display still hasn’t (and that way more people would actually notice). Only reason I can see is upselling you the pro model.

At the very least we should have gotten a 90hz display by now (although 120hz with LTPO isn’t exactly unheard of at the price point of the regular iPhone).

Reactions: gusmula

jb310

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
These comparison lists just make me think it's about time to finally let go of my iPhone 11. 😩

Reactions: Chuckeee

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
Starting to feel like I may not get another pro phone. These base models have gotten really good.
Just wait a year and you get just about all the pro features in the base model. I'm starting to think Pro users are real world beta testers for the base model.

tomchr9

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2024
I suspect that there will be a penalty in battery performance in older iPhones vs. newer iPhones due to increased load on the Neural Engines offloading the CPU. So, while more Neural Engines "should" provide new benefits, there is a strong incentive to adjust basic/old functionality code towards being clearly detrimental to the performance older iPhones, incentivizing customers to buy a newer phone🤔 That is, at some point you are forced to upgrade iOS, making your iPhone slower simply due to code switching and NOT due to newer, more demanding functionality.

Last edited:

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
couldn't agree more. 1 inch camera sensors have been on Chinese phones for 2 years now, with some amazing results. Check Ben Sin's youtube channel. I'm sure Apple has already planned these large sensors but not until the iphone 17 pro or 18 pro. It's just lazy. Tim and the other old senior management guys need to go. Time for fresh blood!
I agree. Even the DOJ agrees.

The DOJ complaint says -
"Apple itself has less incentive to innovate because it has insulated itself from competition. As Apple’s executives openly acknowledge: “In looking at it with hindsight, I think going forward we need to set a stake in the ground for what features we think are ‘good enough’ for the consumer. I would argue we’re already doing *more* than what would have been good enough. But we find it very hard to regress our product features YOY [year over year].” Existing features “would have been good enough today if we hadn’t introduced [them] already,” and “anything new and especially expensive needs to be rigorously challenged before it’s allowed into the consumer phone.”

Reactions: tomchr9

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Each year I read all the rumors, comparisons, the good, the bad, and in September I'm frantically typing in my CC as I attempt to be among the first to get my pre order in. This year will be no different. Just holding out now for the M3 Ultra Studio, or fingers crossed and M4 Mac Pro

• Love
Reactions: gusmula

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Moving back to a stacked vertical camera lenses is fine, but why would they put the flash off on it's own like that? It just makes case design much less elegant as most will probably stick to a square cutout on the back. They should've just made it like the camera bump on the iPhone 12 again instead...

joloriquelme

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Waiting for the real deal: 2025.

From 13 Pro Max, working flawlessly today, to 17 Pro Max (or Ultra).

The objective is Wi-Fi 7, all three-48 MP cameras, new selfie-camera, and the most important: skipping Dynamic Island (or "the big ugly black hole" for me).

Reactions: tomchr9

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I'll be moving from a stock 13, so a pretty sizeable upgrade!
I just have to decide if I want the 16 regular or the pro.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
So the non-pro iPhone 16 models will have an A18 chip rather than A17? I’ll believe that when I see it.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Hoping that the colours are brighter this year. Compared to the 15, it is the usual yearly updates only. Will be nice to see capture button across both the Pro and normal models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.