Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Instead, they think sticking ANOTHER button on the phone or using the same design for 6 years will cover for innovation.

Of course the sheep will buy whatever they churn out, meaning they continue to drag behind.

Apple stinks of old men penny pinching.
The need for 'annual physical innovation' is overrated.

Nobody ever complains that the Macbook Pro is essentially the same looking computer as a Powerbook from 2004.

Phones are just lifeless shells for the software inside. This is where the real innovation needs to happen.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
And I’d still put a glass screen protector on it anyways lol
It’d be interesting to see how many people put protectors on (thus likely negating the effect of such new technologies/manufacturing processes) and how many actually use the phones without.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Once again, whether it’s long zoom lenses, AI features, or as in this article anti-reflective screens, all the new ideas are coming from Asian manufacturers these days. They develop, Apple adopts.
LOL. Periscope zooms haven't been a new idea for 20 years. They were on Casio point and shoot cameras long before asian phone manufacturers "innovated" them.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Great news, as I have never used a screen protector on my devices, but do use slim transparent cases with a small screen border. 👍

Reactions: System603

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
My series 9 seems just as durable as my 5 and 2 were
I have had a launch day series 0, series 3 and 4, all stainless steel. Never had a scratch on any of them. My 9 in stainless steel is a few months old and already has small scratches all over it. I’ve used it in the same way as others so assumed it’s the same thing as my iPhones.

• Wow
Reactions: System603

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Been on a tech diet lately and have been skipping my Apple koolaid. Rather than wait for the new iPad I grabbed a Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra and it’s not dissimilar enough for the iPad for me to feel like I’m missing out. The screen is better in my eyes. If iOS 18 doesn’t bring about anything “game changing” I am likely going to switch to the next Galaxy phone for a generation and try it out.

Apple has been resting on its laurels and I don’t think they fear folks voting for changing with their wallets. I’m still not switching laptops because Windows is trash to me, but on the mobile front…might be time for a break. It’s not me Apple, it’s you.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Challenge to the most ardent Apple fanboys. Look at that comparison picture on the first page and ask yourself this: is that the best Apple can do?

Set aside the koolaid, the rose colored glasses and the pre-conceived biases.

Last edited:

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Once again, whether it’s long zoom lenses, AI features, or as in this article anti-reflective screens, all the new ideas are coming from Asian manufacturers these days. They develop, Apple adopts.
The article is about Gorilla Glass Armor, which is developed and manufactured by Corning, an American company. Samsung just happens to be the first to use the glass in their phone. Corning probably can't produce yet enough glass for iPhone scale.

maczaddy

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2024
NY
In their infinite chase for product margins and trying to squeeze last drop out of outdated technology, Apple has lost their way. They are now playing catch-up for almost everything.
Agreed, I know everyone even I defend them with the tired line of they don’t rush to do it first rather to do it best. Just seems like with all the investments in Corning this is an area where they should have been first and best. The micro scratches drive me insane

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
100% correct.

They use to lead in so many areas but the last few years have been nothing but reactionary from Tim.

They're always chasing Google, Samsung or some Chinese brand they helped get banned in the US.

Instead, they think sticking ANOTHER button on the phone or using the same design for 6 years will cover for innovation.

Of course the sheep will buy whatever they churn out, meaning they continue to drag behind.

Apple stinks of old men penny pinching.

With respect to the above, why do you continue to purchase Apple products?

Reactions: G5isAlive

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
With respect to the above, why do you continue to purchase Apple products?
Can I get a crack at answering this? When it comes to mobile we essentially have two options Apple or Android. The only thing keeping me with Apple (for now) is that I trust Apple more than Google when it comes to privacy/security. I don't have any factual evidence that's actually the case - I am just going on perception and public discourse.

Every year, however, my trust in the Apple brand is eroding ever so slightly.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal

Next year's iPhone 17 will feature an anti-reflective display that is more scratch-resistant than Apple's Ceramic Shield found on iPhone 15 models, according to a new rumor out of Asia.

iphone-15-galaxy-s24-ultra-corning-glass.jpg

Anti-reflection properties of Galaxy S24 Ultra (bottom) vs. iPhone 15 (Image: IceUniverse)

Chinese Weibo leaker Instant Digital claimed on Tuesday that the outer glass on the iPhone 17 is set to have a "super-hard anti-reflective layer" that is "more scratch-resistant than you think." The coating equipment has just been handed over to China's supply chain, according to the leaker, but not in time for it to feature in this year's upcoming iPhone 16 series.

"Ceramic Shield" is a marketing name for a glass-ceramic material developed by Corning in collaboration with Apple. Apple says the Ceramic Shield on the iPhone 15 is "tougher than any smartphone glass." Introduced on iPhone 12 models in 2020, Apple advertised the ceramic-infused glass as increasing drop performance by 4x compared to the iPhone 11.

More recently, Samsung debuted its newest Galaxy S24 Ultra, which features a Gorilla Glass Armor display panel, also developed by Corning. According to Corning, the Armor panel cuts reflections by 75 percent compared to a typical glass surface, and is resistant to micro scratches that build up over time on competing glass panels. Corning also claims the panels offer over 4x more scratch resistance than competitive aluminosilicate cover glasses.

It's not clear whether Apple is planning to adopt Gorilla Glass Armor for the iPhone 17, but the description matches the Chinese leaker's claims. Corning could also be supplying Apple with an equivalent technology that will be branded under another name.
Corning has been a longtime Apple supplier, with Gorilla Glass used in devices across Apple's product lineup. In 2021, Apple said it had invested a combined $495 million to support Corning's ongoing research and development into "state-of-the-art glass processes," which led to the creation of Ceramic Shield.

Article Link: iPhone 17 to Feature New Scratch Resistant Anti-Reflective Display

That looks like a simple mate coating. If this is true, this looks like Apple is cutting on glass quality to increase profits and they will try to convince everyone that is much better.

But I honestly doubt this is a truthful depiction ... hey, will cya when I cya.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.