Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I've been waiting for this since the original iPhone!

I've used anti-glare screen protectors for almost all my iPhones. I hate the shinny screens. I'm running my 14 Pro Max naked at the moment.

I wonder if Apple will charge extra like they do for their nan-textured monitor screens. :)

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Wonder if they're moving on from "Ceramic Shield" at that point. Diamondillium Shield.

• Haha
Reactions: dk001

Fandroid killer

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2017

Next year's iPhone 17 will feature an anti-reflective display that is more scratch-resistant than Apple's Ceramic Shield found on iPhone 15 models, according to a new rumor out of Asia.

iphone-15-galaxy-s24-ultra-corning-glass.jpg

Anti-reflection properties of Galaxy S24 Ultra (bottom) vs. iPhone 15 (Image: IceUniverse)

Chinese Weibo leaker Instant Digital claimed on Tuesday that the outer glass on the iPhone 17 is set to have a "super-hard anti-reflective layer" that is "more scratch-resistant than you think." The coating equipment has just been handed over to China's supply chain, according to the leaker, but not in time for it to feature in this year's upcoming iPhone 16 series.

"Ceramic Shield" is a marketing name for a glass-ceramic material developed by Corning in collaboration with Apple. Apple says the Ceramic Shield on the iPhone 15 is "tougher than any smartphone glass." Introduced on iPhone 12 models in 2020, Apple advertised the ceramic-infused glass as increasing drop performance by 4x compared to the iPhone 11.

More recently, Samsung debuted its newest Galaxy S24 Ultra, which features a Gorilla Glass Armor display panel, also developed by Corning. According to Corning, the Armor panel cuts reflections by 75 percent compared to a typical glass surface, and is resistant to micro scratches that build up over time on competing glass panels. Corning also claims the panels offer over 4x more scratch resistance than competitive aluminosilicate cover glasses.

It's not clear whether Apple is planning to adopt Gorilla Glass Armor for the iPhone 17, but the description matches the Chinese leaker's claims. Corning could also be supplying Apple with an equivalent technology that will be branded under another name.
Corning has been a longtime Apple supplier, with Gorilla Glass used in devices across Apple's product lineup. In 2021, Apple said it had invested a combined $495 million to support Corning's ongoing research and development into "state-of-the-art glass processes," which led to the creation of Ceramic Shield.

Article Link: iPhone 17 to Feature New Scratch Resistant Anti-Reflective Display
Playing catchup yet again. So boring 😴

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
The article is about Gorilla Glass Armor, which is developed and manufactured by Corning, an American company. Samsung just happens to be the first to use the glass in their phone. Corning probably can't produce yet enough glass for iPhone scale.

This article is about the glass on the front screen. Corning. American company. Which Apple invested almost 1/2 $billion in to help develop. Folks claiming this is that same as Samsung don't know. There is nothing that says that is true, speculation yes, facts, no. Do you think Corning is giving their best to Samsung when Apple is investing in them? You don't know Apple lawyers if you do.

If Apple invents and engineers a new tech innovation and hires an Asian factory to produce it, it’s still an Apple idea.

Likewise, if an Asian tech company adds a new innovation into one of their smartphones and hires an American company to manufacture it for them, they still get credit for being first.

And then Apple will get credit for being second, third, “copying them”, etc.

The Samsungs display is not matte. 😂 This isn't 2012. Have you looked at the comparisons? The Galaxy is miles ahead of iPhones display.
While the "matte" comment might not be relevant, but that does not mean there are no trade offs....not that you are saying there are not. But for clarity, the softness of the coating as well as the contrast differences are trade offs with the display. The S24U display does look really good, and in most situations looks better than the iPhone display. However, it does scratch easier, which I feel like all phones have gone downhill on this in the past 5 years. It also shows fingerprints MUCH more than the iPhone.

If Apple can advance the coatings where we get less reflections and is harder to scratch, I would even take it and deal with the fingerprints. Then Samsung the next year or two can do what Apple did but then fix the fingerprints, and then by the next year or two we have it all! LOL

• Disagree

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The only one doing "this" is Samsung Mobilewith the S24 Ultra, and it's because they (Samsung Mobile) have access to these technologies from Samsung Display before others can. And it's not 1.5 years away.

Same thing applies with the whole 3nm thing. Does any SnapDragon, Exynos, or MediaTek chip have this production node? NOPE.

Oh I thought it said iPhone 17 which is 1.5 years away? Maybe not then.

No idea on processors, doesn’t interest me as it’s insignificant for average use.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
While the "matte" comment might not be relevant, but that does not mean there are no trade offs....not that you are saying there are not. But for clarity, the softness of the coating as well as the contrast differences are trade offs with the display. The S24U display does look really good, and in most situations looks better than the iPhone display. However, it does scratch easier, which I feel like all phones have gone downhill on this in the past 5 years. It also shows fingerprints MUCH more than the iPhone.

If Apple can advance the coatings where we get less reflections and is harder to scratch, I would even take it and deal with the fingerprints. Then Samsung the next year or two can do what Apple did but then fix the fingerprints, and then by the next year or two we have it all! LOL
Scratches easier? Zack wants a word with you:

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
Omigod, I'm so thrilled! Can't help scratching my phone over and over again!

Scratches easier? Zack wants a word with you:

I love Zack and his channel. YouTubers and the need for eyeballs aside, I work with several large organizations who have fleets of phones. My real world experience with thousands of mobile devices says that yes they scratch easier in everyday use cases.

EDIT: For context, most of my experiences are with the different phones are over an extended period of time with multiple generations of products. However, even since January we have already been seeing issues with the S24U and scratches. For the particular field we are in it is very relevant and often are changing out screen protectors almost bi-monthly to make sure there are no visible marks on the screen. So a screen without the need of a protector is a big deal in this space.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

You might want to look at what it is before you post about what it is. Then again, maybe you do.
I do note that it is tougher than the glass on my 15PM.

starts at 0:45

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
If Apple invents and engineers a new tech innovation and hires an Asian factory to produce it, it’s still an Apple idea.

Likewise, if an Asian tech company adds a new innovation into one of their smartphones and hires an American company to manufacture it for them, they still get credit for being first.

And then Apple will get credit for being second, third, “copying them”, etc.

you missed the point entirely.

If company S buys off the rack product x made by company C, S innovated nothing.

If company A invests 0.5 billion into company C , and uses novel product y, company A innovated.

you keep assuming with zero verification that x=y. You keep ignorning company C has a role.

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
My biggest pet peeve is mirror like reflections on device screens. I will definitely upgrade to iPhone 17 just for anti-reflective screen.
My laptop has a glossy OLED panel... And boy do I regret it!
It looks phenomenal in a darkened room when watching a movie... But that's not my normal use.
In almost all normal scenarios I'm having to deal with positioning to minimize reflections.
Probably will sell it soon.

Reactions: entropi and dk001
You might want to look at what it is before you post about what it is. Then again, maybe you do.
I do note that it is tougher than the glass on my 15PM.

starts at 0:45
As I mentioned in the other comment, I work with two companies who have thousands of devices deployed to the field. For the specific work being done (NDA but I can say non US "urban" use), we are currently using screen protectors and swap them roughly every 10 weeks. For the specific need we have, we can't have anything affecting the image on the screen. Previous phones of all kinds end up having the same issue. We actually try each major flagship each year as they are released and get several hundred to test with. The S24U has already had issues with no screen protector applied. I know Zack does his tests and can asses when a screen scratches with his Mohs' Hardness Picks. But testing to see if a pick scratches is not an analogue for the real world and using them in different environments. I can't say WHY the S24U has issues, I can only say that in my experience it does and at a faster rate than the iPhone 14 Pro. For clarity, both phones don't last that long and neither one works though without a screen protector for our purposes. The holy grail would be if we can finally have a phone that won't need it replaced constantly. But that is not yet the case. I really do hope that the tech keeps progressing and the S24U has definitely made a step up in quality.

Reactions: G5isAlive and dk001

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
I love Zack and his channel. YouTubers and the need for eyeballs aside, I work with several large organizations who have fleets of phones. My real world experience with thousands of mobile devices says that yes they scratch easier in everyday use cases.

EDIT: For context, most of my experiences are with the different phones are over an extended period of time with multiple generations of products. However, even since January we have already been seeing issues with the S24U and scratches. For the particular field we are in it is very relevant and often are changing out screen protectors almost bi-monthly to make sure there are no visible marks on the screen. So a screen without the need of a protector is a big deal in this space.
Ok I see where you‘re coming from. I can approve to some degree because through all the generations of iPhones I had, and all the groundbreaking gorilla glasses I never noticed a massive difference :) they all scratch in the pocket except for the camera lenses. I need a phone made of that!

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Good to see that a future iPhone will have it. Would have been better if the 16 series had it.

OnePieceIsReal

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Both have their upsides and downsides.

Glossy displays: higher sharpness but reflections are problem

Matte displays: no reflections, but lower sharpness (it looks fuzzy)
And no being etched matte doesn’t mean it would be less sharp or fuzzy , it’s not the same as a matte screen protector. It’s direct on display so it will look just as sharp as glossy

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Shouldn’t this be on an iPhone 16 to match what others are doing ‘NOW’, not 1.5 years away???
No, no... Remember, Apple waits to do everything "well" which we are often told is the reason they are behind the curve in so many areas compared with other manufacturers. It is never, repeat "never" because other companies may sometimes simply do something sooner and better.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Once again, whether it’s long zoom lenses, AI features, or as in this article anti-reflective screens, all the new ideas are coming from Asian manufacturers these days. They develop, Apple adopts.
This has always been the case, and the end product has always been better than the Asian ones. The whole is more than the sum of the parts. To each their own, but I have found that the displays on Apple devices are fine - the human visual system adjusts automatically for a wide variety of conditions.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
As I mentioned in the other comment, I work with two companies who have thousands of devices deployed to the field. For the specific work being done (NDA but I can say non US "urban" use), we are currently using screen protectors and swap them roughly every 10 weeks. For the specific need we have, we can't have anything affecting the image on the screen. Previous phones of all kinds end up having the same issue. We actually try each major flagship each year as they are released and get several hundred to test with. The S24U has already had issues with no screen protector applied. I know Zack does his tests and can asses when a screen scratches with his Mohs' Hardness Picks. But testing to see if a pick scratches is not an analogue for the real world and using them in different environments. I can't say WHY the S24U has issues, I can only say that in my experience it does and at a faster rate than the iPhone 14 Pro. For clarity, both phones don't last that long and neither one works though without a screen protector for our purposes. The holy grail would be if we can finally have a phone that won't need it replaced constantly. But that is not yet the case. I really do hope that the tech keeps progressing and the S24U has definitely made a step up in quality.

If yours are going through that kind of abuse, I can see the need for continual screen protector use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.