Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What will the next iPhone SE be?

• An updated SE 2 (same body, Touch ID, upgraded chip, internals, camera)

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • An updated iPhone 11 (same body as iPhone 11, LCD screen, updated internals)

Votes: 29 33.3%
  • A modified iPhone 12 mini (same body as mini, maybe an LCD screen / changed internals to save costs)

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • Apple won’t make another SE

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
They also lag like crazy, even die hard android fans say stay away from budget android phones.
But the budget Android is not even close to the “budget” iPhone. When people talk about budget Android, they mean $100 phones, not $400. $400 is considered mid range already, and Android phones in that segment are fine. The problem with budget cheap Android phones is that they are usually equipped with the slow eMMC storage, and SoC without any performance cores (mostly are old SoCs with just A53 or A55 cores).

Reactions: LFC2020

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
More like same long-cycle upgraders-market, IMO; the ones that wants the smallest screen possible.

The SE came out first for these people starving for a new device, so they got the SE; and it'll take these people like 3-4 years before they get a new device, not months later just because there's a pro mini.

The SE has also seen far more in the way of deep discounts, particularly among prepaid services. It makes the price gap even wider.

This almost certainly means that it'll be an iPhone 11 hybrid - when the cost of the first gen FaceID module is negligible for them & when the top end models have shifted to the next gen FaceID unit. So likely March 2022.

I don't think Apple will even sell the XR directly in 2022.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The SE has also seen far more in the way of deep discounts, particularly among prepaid services. It makes the price gap even wider.

The AT&T and Verizon postpaid discounts ($200 off) are very nice, too. We spend more than that in a month on dining out (well, take out/delivery now).

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
Tmobile for a short time around Christmas had- Trade in an iPhone 8 or newer and get an iPhone 12 mini 64 free.

If they did this for a longer period of time, the 12 mini would have higher sales numbers and this thread wouldn't exist.

Point being, in the USA the carriers often dictate what device sells best.

Walmart had 50% off an iPhone SE on Verizon with 24 months. $8 a month added to your bill. Maybe that's why the SE was/is popular? Carrier deals.

Reactions: DexBell

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Will people please stop peddling that myth?

The SE doesn't even use the same chassis as the 5s. The rear housing is not interchangeable.

Apple is well known to use JIT manufacturing.

This myth? It uses the same chassis, lots of tear downs confirm that.

Here is the important quote shared across the board:

"iFixit found that the iPhone SE's speaker, chassis, vibrator, SIM tray and display assembly, which includes the LCD, digitizer, front camera, earpiece speaker and proximity sensor are the same parts used in the iPhone 5s."

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020

"iFixit found that the iPhone SE's speaker, chassis, vibrator, SIM tray and display assembly, which includes the LCD, digitizer, front camera, earpiece speaker and proximity sensor are the same parts used in the iPhone 5s."

People new to Apple think when we say SE we mean SE2.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I was hopeful for an SE Plus in the 5.5" size but I'm starting to think that the 8 Plus is the best 5.5" iPhone that will ever be made. Where are the SE Plus rumors that people are talking about? I haven't seen them. When viewing 4:3 and 16:9 content at their native size, the 5.5" size is larger than 6.1" iPhone and anything lower than that. Even the 6.5" is only about 3% larger in this respect.

I don't see another 4.7" phone either. I think the most likely option is that it will be a 6.1" without a notch, which will definitely look appealing to consumers. No way do they go with mini size. On the mini I say it gets 1 more year, but unlikely to get 2 years. Just because they stop making them (or make less) doesn't mean they're discontinuing it preemptively, same thing happened with 15" FP iMac, yet they sold those up until the whole line was discontinued.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

You can see with your own eyes that it isn’t. Experienced case swappers will also tell you the chassis is cut different near the rear camera area.

That’s the problem with quoting websites instead of the source material. If you read the iFixit teardown, they make no such claim that the chassis is identical.

So please, let’s not perpetuate the myth again. The chassis is not the same.

1613144291328.jpeg

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
My main issue with SE is the screen - especially when scrolling a website. OLED-panels are much crisper to read when content is moving. 4,7" LCD is a lot more blurry. Also, tap-to-wake on the screen is missed and faceID. Otherwise a great phone.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Price. The Mini is overpriced. The majority of people looing at this size are not social media power users or people who work from their phones. They are people who only use the phone for calling, texting and emails. The price is out of touch with the target consumer.

Mikeyt1818

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2020
Coral Springs, Florida
I went for the SE 2 because despite enjoying the size of the mini I found the overall feeling in my hand to be more comfortable with the SE 2. I also love Touch ID as I am out most of the day with that mask on. I would love an SE 3 with the mini chassis and Touch ID in power button or better yet under screen! Just my personal feelings!

Reactions: saber32au

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I went for the SE 2 because despite enjoying the size of the mini I found the overall feeling in my hand to be more comfortable with the SE 2.
Interesting. Can you elaborate more? The mini is smaller, lighter, and has a grippier body style with its squared-off edges. The SE 2 on the other hand feels to me like it could slip out at any moment. Do you use a case?

Mikeyt1818

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2020
Coral Springs, Florida
Interesting. Can you elaborate more? The mini is smaller, lighter, and has a grippier body style with its squared-off edges. The SE 2 on the other hand feels to me like it could slip out at any moment. Do you use a case?
I don’t use a case. I like the rounded feel. When I talk on the phone it has a great feeling of comfort in my hand. It is also perfect for one handed use. The mini is not bad for one handed use although I struggle to reach the top of the screen with my thumb which is something I’m able to do with the SE 2. If they make the SE 3 in the mini chassis with a Touch ID sensor under the screen or in the power button I would likely switch if it offered 5G. So it’s not that I don’t like the form factor of the mini it’s just that I like the SE 2 more. I’m living in the moment and enjoying this phone immensely.

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
Another point for me on the SE vs 12 mini and upwards - it is priced so that I use it more, e.g. when working outside. If I owned a 12 I would have to leave it indoors when doing hard manual labor.

The SE also invites to less screen-on-time. And that is not a dumb thing. But the 12 mini is without a doubt a stellar product, it is a matter of priority.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Other than all the good point this thread has come up, also remember one of the Mini's "Job" is to push the price of iPhone 12 to $799 bracket.

Reactions: Mikeyt1818

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
The original iPhone SE was almost a no-compromise iPhone for $399. Apart from the screen size, which was a compromise for some but a plus for others, it had current design, current chip, RAM and camera same as flagship iPhone. Fantastic value if you didn't mind a 4" screen.

This current SE is not that. It's just a cheap (-ish) iPhone, outdated already on release in almost every way.

I assume that SE 3, should it happen, will unfortunately be the same. Likely an iPhone XR design, which will be 4-5 yo out of date by that time, bezels will as look ridiculous compared to all the competition as the SE 2 (iPhone 8 design) looks now, an LCD screen still, a notch while it will be gone on the flagship iPhone, and of course camera heavily compromised too.

Reactions: Barbareren

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The original iPhone SE was almost a no-compromise iPhone for $399. Apart from the screen size, which was a compromise for some but a plus for others, it had current design, current chip, RAM and camera same as flagship iPhone. Fantastic value if you didn't mind a 4" screen.

Current design: nope, latest design at the time was curved edges while SE had 5/5s style boxier chassis (which the 12 series have gone back to)

Current chip: yes

RAM: yes

Camera: same as 6s, missing OIS from 6s Plus

This current SE is not that. It's just a cheap (-ish) iPhone, outdated already on release in almost every way.

Funnily enough, a lot of people called the OG SE the same thing. As I recall, there were plenty of posts calling out the SE for using leftover parts from the iPhone 5s and being outdated back when it was released. ??‍♀️

Reactions: Mikeyt1818

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
Current design: nope, latest design at the time was curved edges while SE had 5/5s style boxier chassis (which the 12 series have gone back to)

Current chip: yes

RAM: yes

Camera: same as 6s, missing OIS from 6s Plus

One can even argue that the OG SE had a more modern design than the flagship (6s), as we're back to squared edges ??

Anyway, OG SE in terms of screen-to-bezel ratio was identical to flagship iPhone. And the one after too (iPhone 7). Same about camera. OG SE didn't really get outdated in terms of design untill iPhone X (1,5 years later) and in terms of camera until iPhone XS probably (because of Smart HDR) - that was 2,5 years of "current" camera.

Also, lets not forget about battery life. The battery on original SE lasted even longer than the flagship 6s. Today it sounds nuts.

My point stands - at the time of release original SE was a superior offering than the current SE in almost every way.
Looking at Apple's strategy it was probably a one-time coincidence. And going forward no budget iPhone would be as close to flagship iPhone ever again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.