Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What will the next iPhone SE be?

• An updated SE 2 (same body, Touch ID, upgraded chip, internals, camera)

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • An updated iPhone 11 (same body as iPhone 11, LCD screen, updated internals)

Votes: 29 33.3%
  • A modified iPhone 12 mini (same body as mini, maybe an LCD screen / changed internals to save costs)

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • Apple won’t make another SE

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The original iPhone SE was almost a no-compromise iPhone for $399. Apart from the screen size, which was a compromise for some but a plus for others, it had current design, current chip, RAM and camera same as flagship iPhone. Fantastic value if you didn't mind a 4" screen.

This current SE is not that. It's just a cheap (-ish) iPhone, outdated already on release in almost every way.

I assume that SE 3, should it happen, will unfortunately be the same. Likely an iPhone XR design, which will be 4-5 yo out of date by that time, bezels will as look ridiculous compared to all the competition as the SE 2 (iPhone 8 design) looks now, an LCD screen still, a notch while it will be gone on the flagship iPhone, and of course camera heavily compromised too.

I disagree. Apple stuck an outdated 1.3MP front camera on the SE and used the same modem as iPhone 6 (Snapdragon X5) with 1x1.

The SE2 is more well rounded. Much more reasonable 7MP front camera and the same modem as iPhone 11/Pro.

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
I disagree. Apple stuck an outdated 1.3MP front camera on the SE and used the same modem as iPhone 6 (Snapdragon X5) with 1x1.

The SE2 is more well rounded. Much more reasonable 7MP front camera and the same modem as iPhone 11/Pro.
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't consider front camera or modem areas of high importance, certainly not compared to rear camera, overall design or battery life.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Funnily enough, a lot of people called the OG SE the same thing. As I recall, there were plenty of posts calling out the SE for using leftover parts from the iPhone 5s and being outdated back when it was released. ??‍♀️
Yup, and in all actuality, that phone has a cult-like following of die-hard fans still using them daily. That speaks volumes for the OG SE.

Aratim

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2020
I'm probably weird, I don't know.... But I switched back from the 12 Mini to the SE 2020 and returned the 12 Mini.... Don't misunderstand, the 12 Mini is a great iPhone, it would clearly be the only one I could identify with out of the flagships. But somehow there's a connection between the SE lineup and me xD.
It's just classic, looks great and the usability is subjectively perfect for me. It is absolutely sufficient for my needs. So I am a proud owner and sympathizer of the SE lineup.

Mikeyt1818

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2020
Coral Springs, Florida
I'm probably weird, I don't know.... But I switched back from the 12 Mini to the SE 2020 and returned the 12 Mini.... Don't misunderstand, the 12 Mini is a great iPhone, it would clearly be the only one I could identify with out of the flagships. But somehow there's a connection between the SE lineup and me xD.
It's just classic, looks great and the usability is subjectively perfect for me. It is absolutely sufficient for my needs. So I am a proud owner and sympathizer of the SE lineup.
I did the same exact thing. For me it was a better feel in hand. Maybe not for everyone but for me it’s the quintessential one handed device. And as I keep on saying I just like Touch ID better than face unlock. Some call the SE 2020 outdated but I agree that this is a classic look.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't consider front camera or modem areas of high importance, certainly not compared to rear camera, overall design or battery life.
Well the thing is though the modem is one of the top areas of high importance, especially since the 12 lineup switched right back to Qualcomm and since Intel Modems suck in every area compared to Qualcomm’s modems then yes modem technology is vastly of importance

don’t forget Apple is making they’re own modems so that will be interesting to see

as of front camera even a 7MP front camera is still good and a decent quality. The 1.2MP ones (even as far as iPad 8th Gen because it has the A12 Processor and still with that processor it still had that **** camera) are garbage and shouldn’t be made anymore

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Yes im sure the SE3 will be a huge hit, but i just cant fathom how it will look like. Some rumours say it will be an 8 Plus with touch id on the power button, and others point to it being based on the XR/11 chassis. Personally i find the 8 Plus with power button touch id the most intriguing, and will buy one for sure. I do love my SE 2020 though, there is just something about that classic design...

Not sure about a different physical design idea for any SE product, as so far Apple have been “recycling” their previous designs with that line (iPhone 5S > SE, iPhone 8 > SE2). IMO, the SE line, if it continues, will remain the cheapest entry point into Apple’s ecosystem. Why build a physically distinct SE device when Apple can continue selling their existing popular models at a lower price? After all, they still sell both XR and 11, with XR costing just a 100$ more than SE2.

Reactions: snipr125

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Not sure about a different physical design idea for any SE product, as so far Apple have been “recycling” their previous designs with that line (iPhone 5S > SE, iPhone 8 > SE2). IMO, the SE line, if it continues, will remain the cheapest entry point into Apple’s ecosystem. Why build a physically distinct SE device when Apple can continue selling their existing popular models at a lower price? After all, they still sell both XR and 11, with XR costing just a 100$ more than SE2.

Not a different design per se but small, cost-saving tweaks to the existing design (ala-iPad 10.2" vs Pro 10.5" and Air 10.9" vs Pro 11").

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010

I LOVE the 12mini, however - there are certain areas where I find it just too small. It is a bit narrow for my big hands while typing. I came from 11 (6,1") and I keep mistyping months into my ownership. The extra 3+ mm width on the SE2020 actually improves this somewhat even though I did not expect it too.
Photos are small on the 12 mini as well, the notch plus narrowness make them feel a bit too small overall. The 12s extra width make it much better for viewing videos, pdf's and photos. Text is also more readable.

The SE2020 is a bit more expensive in Europe than US, but still - you get a lot for your money.

With my discount the SE2020 is 460 USD vs 785 for the 12 mini at todays best prices. That is a 70% increase.

Reactions: Aratim

Aratim

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2020
I LOVE the 12mini, however - there are certain areas where I find it just too small. It is a bit narrow for my big hands while typing. I came from 11 (6,1") and I keep mistyping months into my ownership. The extra 3+ mm width on the SE2020 actually improves this somewhat even though I did not expect it too.
Photos are small on the 12 mini as well, the notch plus narrowness make them feel a bit too small overall. The 12s extra width make it much better for viewing videos, pdf's and photos. Text is also more readable.

The SE2020 is a bit more expensive in Europe than US, but still - you get a lot for your money.

With my discount the SE2020 is 460 USD vs 785 for the 12 mini at todays best prices. That is a 70% increase.
There was a good offer for the SE2020 here in Switzerland. Although only in 64GB, but since I use iCloud with 200GB, this should not cause any problems for me.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Not a different design per se but small, cost-saving tweaks to the existing design (ala-iPad 10.2" vs Pro 10.5" and Air 10.9" vs Pro 11").

I personally enjoy every single bit of my mini, but could probably drop-off FaceID for TouchID in the power button, a-la iPad Air 4. However, this would also make more work for Apple making it, as well as risking TouchID fans to move away from Apple’s more expensive offerings towards the lowest cost model?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

Like you, I also moved to 12 mini from 11, but got used to it by now. I just need to pay more attention while typing, but then I swipe type most of the time anyway. ?

6.1” screens are too big for my liking, but I would happily use anything up to 5.8” (as X, XS or 11 Pro) if the size increase is inevitable.

Reactions: prazakj

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020

Finally a honest mini review, not blinded my the smallness.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
my SE 2020 is very much an ideal device. I use it for work but it isn’t too small for work for example reading e-mails and general app browsing. Certainly easier than say my 12 pro max.

Reactions: Mikeyt1818

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
1st world problems overall, and I restate - I LOVE the 12 mini, but it is not perfect.

5,8" would probably be a sweetspot size-wise. I am just saying, the SE2020 is very good bang for the money. Especially if you`re just using it for phone calls, text and that sort of stuff.

In the 1st world no phone is perfect! ?

Reactions: Mikeyt1818

adamhunteratc

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2016
While I would love to go back to a small phone, I think I'll be on the SE train for as long as Apple makes them. You really just can't beat the value for the money, especially for an Apple product. It's already a steal at $399... but you can always find deals for it too. For example, if you're on Verizon postpaid, you can get the SE from Walmart.com for $6.21/mo over 24 months... that works out to $149. That's an absolutely insane bang-for-your-buck.

As others have said, I suspect the next-gen SE (not including any processor updates the current one may get) will be the XR/11 form factor.

Mikeyt1818

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2020
Coral Springs, Florida
I refuse to use anything bigger than my SE 2020. Perhaps in a year or two the mini will be turned into a new SE? As I’ve mentioned before, if the mini had Touch ID I would have stayed with it despite my preference for the 4.7 inch screen.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
If the mini and the SE cost the same amount and were just different form factors I’d go for the mini. But it wasn’t worth the extra money for me. I wanted a small phone and the SE fit that requirement as well as my price point.
You have to remember the timeline. For a long long time, those of us with the SE were told that our phones were the last of their kind. Everything else would be bigger. This came true when the SE2 came out. I can't remember any rumours from that time mentioning a 12 mini in the pipeline. The SE2 in the 8 shell was going to be the new smallest phone. So I bought one. I think many others did too.

Fast forward to the iPhone 12 launch and suddenly there's a mini one!!

Well I wasn't going to sell my brand new phone for a 12 mini and certainly not when I would have to pay a lot more to get one.

Looking back, I have no regrets at all in buying my SE2 but I think Apple made a mistake in what they offered us small-phone owners and when. They split that market.

I'm an original SE owner. It was the perfect phone for me and I love the form factor. Just before it was introduced, I nearly bought a 5 that was still around at the time and am very glad I stuck it out for the SE.

Covid kept me from buying a SE2020 last spring. I had not been following rumors for awhile and was thrilled when I heard about the 12 Mini. It's considerably more than I want to spend but I feel it's a great phone and will be more future-proofed than the SE2020 (only my opinion)

I'm not a big fan of face id but putting both a Mini and SE2020 in my hands tells me the Mini is the one I want. Slightly smaller with a bigger screen. The camera is a bonus - if I'm out taking pix I always take my actual camera along so it wouldn't have been a deal breaker if the camera was "just ok".

I do agree Apple split the market with their timing on both phones. If I'd managed to by an SE2020 a year ago, I would have really regretted it come fall when the SE2020 was announced.

Now I'm still limping along with my original SE because I'm hoping the rumors of a 13 Mini are indeed true. I'm going to guess a third update to the SE will not make it smaller. If the phones were a couple hundred less, I'd update more frequently honestly!

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I just ordered an SE. My carrier knocked $100 off the 256gb model so even though I prefer big phones, I couldn't resist. Gonna use it for at least a week and see if I can adjust to a small phone. I figure if I hate it, my mom is due for a new phone anyway so I'll give it to her. I quite like the 'outdated' design too, it's the classic iPhone design and I don't get why something being older is bad or undesirable. Face ID and gestures are great but I miss the simplicity of a home button. I'll be all over it if they bring out an SE+ next year with an 8+ design.

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
I had the 12 Mini for a couple of weeks (bought outright), and just couldn't justify the £699 cost for that size device so after much deliberation I returned it. Whilst I prefer the full screen/FaceID design, the £300 less price tag for the SE is just too appealing and I expect many feel the same.

There will always be a demand for smaller form factor devices. I've tried so many times to 'get along' with a larger screen device but devices like the X/XS, 11/12 and 11 Pro/12 Pro (not to mention the Max models) are just too heavy and bulky for me. I'm always conscious of them and they're just awkward.

I think there's a big chance the current SE form factor will continue next year simply due to many people wanting to use TouchID over FaceID.

Although for me, I'd like the see the 12 Mini form factor/size become the SE 3 - even if they swap out the OLED for an LCD. Price it around £400 and that'll be a big seller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.