Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
KA
People are too focused on a person getting something right that was bound to happen within *weeks, and completely ignore Ming's roadmap which has everything iPhone ( his Mac prediction aren't as accurate, but that is also because the volume of Mac are much lower, you cant hide anything when you are moving 80M quarterly orders across the supply chain )

Edit: Ming has been saying iPhone SE Plus way before December last year.

And just to point out, the Plus is either in production *now* and should be announced along with iPhone SE and shipping later, or it is not. It cant be in production, it is coming and suddenly not happening ( According to Jon Prosser ). Tell that to Ming or others with Supply Chain experience and you get a big laugh.
I’m pretty comfortable trusting Prosser as a reliable source of leaks for now. Definitely not saying be should be listened to over Kuo, but he’s made some very solid recent predictions.

Anyway, going by Prosser, the Plus was in production in tandem with the SE, but had some sort of delay. It definitely is weird though. I’m curious how all of these different leakers can have solid track records, yet have wildly different info on the Plus.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens.
Thank you.

Kuo has a decade of reliable predictions and people seem to be placing complete confidence on a new guy on Twitter.
Personally, I’m not putting complete confidence in him. He’s been correct on his recent leaks, so I’m just open to listening to him for now.

New se will most likely be close to the 8.
Yeah, that’s the most disappointing aspect of the new SE for me. I’d actually be open to switching to it if the battery life was better, but it’s a straight downgrade from what I have now. I’m also hoping that doesn’t mean that the SE Plus will have the same battery as the 8+.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Thank you.

Kuo has a decade of reliable predictions and people seem to be placing complete confidence on a new guy on Twitter.

Oh well I got downvoted in the other thread for pointing this out.

I mean like for crying out now, I pointed out in 2014/2015 ( That is now 5 years ) on Anandtech how TSMC's cadence will now follows Apple's iPhone roll out and every iPhone SoC will be on leading edge. Turns out I was right for 5 conservative years. I even got attacked from Intel Fanboys saying that is not possible, and TSMC will not lead etc etc....

The point is none of this was leaks. It was obvious if you had any real life experience with Supply Chain, Logistics, Forecasting, Business, Capacity Planning and Manufacturing. The real leaks are thing that are not obvious and we dont know, who the hell thought Apple would switch from 5.8" OLED to 6.1" for their Pro Version and bump the largest Pro to 6.7"?

Only Ming got it right, time after time. And way before anyone else.

Reactions: fancyrep

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Anyway, going by Prosser, the Plus was in production in tandem with the SE, but had some sort of delay. It definitely is weird though. I’m curious how all of these different leakers can have solid track records, yet have wildly different info on the Plus.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens.

Personally, I’m not putting complete confidence in him. He’s been correct on his recent leaks, so I’m just open to listening to him for now.

Prosser
He is a YouTube personality. Prosser needs to provide daily updates to keep his audience glued (and income steady). If he's inaccurate, he can delete the tweet. If Apple focuses on finding leakers, his sources will quickly be revealed in a canary trap scheme given most of his information appears to be downstream from Apple employees. The info he provides has a short time horizon measured in months because it's based on what a few engineers or marketing staff have access to. Prosser doesn't have access to people on the ground in China.

Kuo
He has a real analyst job and his primary audience are investment managers. If he's wrong, real dollars are at risk. His sources are upstream from suppliers like Catcher, WIN Semi, Luxshare, etc. He relies on converging evidence from multiple suppliers before making predictions. Apple can't make the SE2 Plus without letting Catcher, Jabil, and FII compete for production of the aluminum chassis. Those contracts and operational details are set quarters if not years ahead of time. As a result, the info he provides is measured in quarters or years.

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
KA
Prosser
He is a YouTube personality. Prosser needs to provide daily updates to keep his audience glued (and income steady). If he's inaccurate, he can delete the tweet. If Apple focuses on finding leakers, his sources will quickly be revealed in a canary trap scheme given most of his information appears to be downstream from Apple employees. The info he provides has a short time horizon measured in months because it's based on what a few engineers or marketing staff have access to. Prosser doesn't have access to people on the ground in China.

Kuo
He has a real analyst job and his primary audience are investment managers. If he's wrong, real dollars are at risk. His sources are upstream from suppliers like Catcher, WIN Semi, Luxshare, etc. He relies on converging evidence from multiple suppliers before making predictions. Apple can't make the SE2 Plus without letting Catcher, Jabil, and FII compete for production of the aluminum chassis. Those contracts and operational details are set quarters if not years ahead of time. As a result, the info he provides is measured in quarters or years.
Yep, I don’t disagree with anything that you said. I’m only putting stock into Prosser’s leaks in that I think they’re okay to discuss here, definitely not saying they’re to be taken as 100% truth. I’ve edited the opening post to reflect that he’s not a proven long-term source of leaks.

Last edited:

Khaleesi Kendall

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2020
There will be no se plus. You have both the Xr and the iPhone 11. If the iPhone 12 has a 5.4 inch screen there is no reason for se plus because it’ll be redundant.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
The whole point of the SE was because some people preferred the smaller phones.

There is no reason for a SE plus, Get an 8 plus if the 12 doesn't have touch/face ID and you prefer touch ID.

crispswish

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
According to Prosser from 9 hours ago, the iPhone SE Plus will be released sometime around March 2021. Bad news is it would only come with A13 chip.

Questions now are:

1. Would it come with 4GB since it's a Plus model?
2. Would it cost $399 since it's released a year later with the same A13 chip as the new SE?

Source:

• Angry
Reactions: jimmy_uk

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
KA
2. Would it cost $399 since it's released a year later with the same A13 chip as the new SE?
1. The current 8+ has 3GB RAM, I’m betting it’ll be the same for the SE Plus. I could see them bumping it to 4 though, especially since it’ll have the fairly dated A13 at that point.
2.I think $399 would be a great price point, especially if it has the dated design, A13, 3GB RAM, etc. Maybe $449 or $499 if they change the body or update the specs.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
According to Prosser from 9 hours ago, the iPhone SE Plus will be released sometime around March 2021. Bad news is it would only come with A13 chip.

Questions now are:

Source:

1. No, because iPhone 11 would be $599 and have 4GB. Half of the iPhone 5G models are also expected to come with 4GB.

2. I would expect $449 or $499. The SE2 will undoubtedly drop to $349 by then, mirroring the SE strategy.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The whole point of the SE was because some people preferred the smaller phones.

There is no reason for a SE plus, Get an 8 plus if the 12 doesn't have touch/face ID and you prefer touch ID.

You can’t possibly still hold that contention, after all that has been presented.

The SE on day one was intended as a low-cost device. The fact that SE2 is a 4.7” smartphone and Apple says “Lots to love, less to spend” tells you price is what’s behind the SE family.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015

Questions now are:

Source:

<RANT>
That is exactly what I hate about these so call leakers. It was coming, and then no it wasn't coming, all happened within weeks, and now I am giving you update.

How hard is it to admit you were wrong. Now of coz all he does is blame it on his "source". And what pisses me off more, is people actually believe in him. And the whole Internet echo chamber start to work, and he get his 2 min of flame.

And then being pedantic about A13. Bring me "one" Android Phone today, that has a faster single core performance than A13. In fact by all current pubic data and knowledge, A13 will remain the king of single core performance ( Apart from A14 ) on Smartphone in 2021. You cant even buy an Android "phone" with faster performance even if you have millions!

I think I may just start a blog of Youtube channel purely lambasting every single idiotic Apple rumours or opinion.

</RANT>

Back to iPhone SE Plus.

My guess It wont come with 4GB for a few reason.

Apple view Memory not as a spec but as needs ( and also cost ) . You need memory for Camera and Display. These are the two major needs for memory ( for now, and likely more for 5G. ). It used to be Plus had additional pixel to drive along with down scaling. Since you dont want the iPhone Plus to be slower than iPhone Apple has added additional memory.

So for it to have 4GB, you are looking for an SE Plus with 2 Camera and Higher Resolution. I think none of these would happen.

As listed in the previous 2020 iPhone discussions, I think Apple wants to segment their iPhone by Camera systems. Not surprising consider Camera system is a forever increasing BOM cost with no end in sight. Better Lens, Zoom, Sensor, ISP, software etc. You can clearly see the Pro have Three Sensors ( Four if you count ToF ), Mainstream has two, and SE has one.

The Display is a hard topic, ( from cost perspective it is much easier to reuse the 326ppi Display on Plus, but then the icons will look bigger on Plus. ) But it doesn't matter anyway since 8 Plus uses the same 3GB Memory on a higher resolution.

And I hope it wont be called "Plus" we need to drop this silly moniker.

I think Apple will likely use the XR Camera as "Spec" Bump on next year's SE. So your SE Plus at $499 will have same or better spec than the $499 XR it replaces.

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
KA
<RANT>
The Display is a hard topic, ( from cost perspective it is much easier to reuse the 326ppi Display on Plus, but then the icons will look bigger on Plus. ) But it doesn't matter anyway since 8 Plus uses the same 3GB Memory on a higher resolution.
This is what I’m most curious about. On one hand, if the SE Plus is designed to entice current 6/7/8 Plus users, how can they justify a much lower PPI of 326 than the device they currently have? Even the 6+ from six years ago has 401 PPI. Then again, on the other hand, having the entry level model with 401PPI outshining the more premium iPhone 12 (Assuming it keeps the same PPI as the 11)? Maybe they’ll end up giving the 12 a better resolution, and that’ll justify giving the Plus a 401PPI?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Questions now are:

Source:

I like Prosser, he’s been proven reliable with this last launch with the SE 2 iPhone. However, this is a bit of a stretch this far off in advance for a plus variant. I’d say it’s a 50-50 chance if that will actually happen, not that I’m saying it wouldn’t be welcome, and it would be very Apple-like for them to reuse previous components/casing materials to make a plus version of the SE, but a lot can change between now and next year.

Side note:

9to5 Mac needs to start respecting John Prosser more, especially being that they were chastising him with his prior announcements for future products.

crispswish

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
<RANT>
That is exactly what I hate about these so call leakers. It was coming, and then no it wasn't coming, all happened within weeks, and now I am giving you update.

How hard is it to admit you were wrong. Now of coz all he does is blame it on his "source". And what pisses me off more, is people actually believe in him. And the whole Internet echo chamber start to work, and he get his 2 min of flame.

I think he's one of the more trustworthy leakers out there in my opinion. To be frank, the pandemic did have a major affect on the supply chain and production. That may be why his prediction wasn't 100% spot on on the dates. But it was pretty accurate after all.

And then being pedantic about A13. Bring me "one" Android Phone today, that has a faster single core performance than A13. In fact by all current pubic data and knowledge, A13 will remain the king of single core performance ( Apart from A14 ) on Smartphone in 2021. You cant even buy an Android "phone" with faster performance even if you have millions!

I agree with you there is probably no Android with a single core processor performance faster than the A13 currently. However, it is a little unusual that Apple would use a 1+ year old processor on their new released phones. Going by their historical trends, it is reasonable to expect the SE Plus to have an A14.

Back to iPhone SE Plus.

My guess It wont come with 4GB for a few reason.

Apple view Memory not as a spec but as needs ( and also cost ) . You need memory for Camera and Display. These are the two major needs for memory ( for now, and likely more for 5G. ). It used to be Plus had additional pixel to drive along with down scaling. Since you dont want the iPhone Plus to be slower than iPhone Apple has added additional memory.

So for it to have 4GB, you are looking for an SE Plus with 2 Camera and Higher Resolution. I think none of these would happen.

As listed in the previous 2020 iPhone discussions, I think Apple wants to segment their iPhone by Camera systems. Not surprising consider Camera system is a forever increasing BOM cost with no end in sight. Better Lens, Zoom, Sensor, ISP, software etc. You can clearly see the Pro have Three Sensors ( Four if you count ToF ), Mainstream has two, and SE has one.

And I hope it wont be called "Plus" we need to drop this silly moniker.

I think Apple will likely use the XR Camera as "Spec" Bump on next year's SE. So your SE Plus at $499 will have same or better spec than the $499 XR it replaces.

I really like your in-depth analysis on the ram and pricing here. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
This is disappointing news from Prosser regarding possible SE plus release in a years time. I have 2 options now, replace the battery in my 8+ or pull the trigger on the SE. Ill probably go for a new SE 128gb to be honest, downgrade in battery i know, but it may not be that bad with the A13, and i could get a battery case to compensate. Ill keep my 8+ as my back up phone.

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
This is disappointing news from Prosser regarding possible SE plus release in a years time. I have 2 options now, replace the battery in my 8+ or pull the trigger on the SE. Ill probably go for a new SE 128gb to be honest, downgrade in battery i know, but it may not be that bad with the A13, and i could get a battery case to compensate. Ill keep my 8+ as my back up phone.
My guess and gut feel is they want to project as if SE plus is not coming anytime soon. So people like us ( i am pretty sure there are many people who are in same boat like us) who are waiting for SE plus now will be pulling the trigger on SE. Thus the sales of SE will go up.
Later in 1-2 months time you might see SE plus and we will be going behind swappa or some other websites thinking 100$ loss is not a big loss for bigger screen :D..
This is my gut feel though. But I dont see any reason for apple to hold off on SE plus till March next year unless they are completely off target with their production.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Every day I go to the Apple site and consider a new se. For now, I’m holding off. I picked up a $30 battery case that will be here in a few weeks for my 8+. I don’t wanna sell my 8+ and then the 4.7 se in quick succession. I just wish we had a date that was set, even if it is March.

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
KA

“We predicted that Apple would launch the new ‌iPhone‌ model in 1H21 in a previous report ("‌iPhone‌ supply chain to be 2020 top pick in the tech sector; key predictions for new ‌iPhone‌ product mixes in 2020 and 2021" [December 5, 2019]). However, we think that Apple will likely postpone the new model from 1H21 to 2H21.”

?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017

“We predicted that Apple would launch the new ‌iPhone‌ model in 1H21 in a previous report ("‌iPhone‌ supply chain to be 2020 top pick in the tech sector; key predictions for new ‌iPhone‌ product mixes in 2020 and 2021" [December 5, 2019]). However, we think that Apple will likely postpone the new model from 1H21 to 2H21.”

?
Not good. Wonder if they will actually scrap it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

?

The delay is not what some of us want to hear, however it makes sense. Given the iPhone 5G is delayed, the SE2 Plus shouldn't be launched just a few months later to steal the thunder. Staggered launches also help even out the iPhone sales numbers during slow quarters.
[automerge]1587503334[/automerge]
Not good. Wonder if they will actually scrap it.

I think SE2 Plus is almost a required product. There will be a huge tail end of 4G customers for the next 3-4 years. Can the iPhone SE2 and iPhone 11 carry the 4G torch that long to fight the low-cost competition?

Last edited:

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Why is there so much secrecy? Can someone just say for 100% fact that this phone exists and will actually be produced?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
This is bad news and a weird strategy if the SE Plus is going to have the A13 chip. Apple are really going to keep the iphone 6 plus design into its 6th year? I guess they're hoping to double dip off some of the customers who bought the SE gen 2 who may upgrade in a year? Maybe pickup the customers who have driven their 8 plus into the ground?

It makes me have doubts about about JP again as initially the SE Plus was being made but had a delay. So what, Apple went "fudge it, let's just shelf it for 12 months - shut it down"?

For 3 years Apple have been disappointing me (can't use Apple OLED X, XS, 11 Pro and want 1080p), this is another one for the tally. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.