Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
To be honest, I don’t know how much of an upgrade the se plus would be if it keeps 3gb of ram. From what I know (which is limited), ram is what ends up causing a phone to run slow. The a13 is no doubt faster than the a11, but if the plus has 3gb of ram like the 8+, I don’t know how much of a real world difference we will see. I can’t imagine them not letting the 8+ get a new iOS update, while letting the se plus get it. Maybe I’m way off, though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why is there so much secrecy? Can someone just say for 100% fact that this phone exists and will actually be produced?

What you’re asking is something that could easily change tomorrow. Apple is in a position where they don’t have to produce a phone if the future requirements change course due to other delays with Apple products.

Seriously though, look at the AirPower for example (Even though this isn’t entirely relevant to the SE). The AirPower was officially announced, all it took was one hardware fault that couldn’t make it past the R&D phase with overlapping coils overheating, and Apple completely scrapped it. Apple is a company out to make money, but they’re not afraid to make removal of the product if it doesn’t fit in their future timeline.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
What you’re asking is something that could easily change tomorrow. Apple is in a position where they don’t have to produce a phone if the future requirements change course due to other delays with Apple products.

Seriously though, look at the AirPower for example (Even though this isn’t entirely relevant to the SE). The AirPower was officially announced, all it took was one hardware fault that couldn’t make it past the R&D phase with overlapping coils overheating, and Apple completely scrapped it. Apple is a company out to make money, but they’re not afraid to make removal of the product if it doesn’t fit in their future timeline.
Do you think the se plus will ever see the light of day? I’m 50/50 on it now

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Do you think the se plus will ever see the light of day? I’m 50/50 on it now

I’d say there’s a strong chance it could be a possibility. If it does happen, it would be this time next year at the latest. But as I mentioned, there’s so much that can change between now and then, anything could happen. But I could see Apple having a staggered release with a ‘Plus model’ coming 2021.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Mark Gurman believes there will be two new low-cost LCD iPhones for 2021:

• 5.5" with A13 that looks like iPhone 8 Plus
  • New device with Touch ID on side button
10:56

This helps explain why 9to5Mac reported that iOS 14 has code for SE2 Plus with a Home button. Kuo reported the Touch ID on side button device was a full-screen device (no Home button). These are two different SE-class devices.

As I suggested earlier, this is strong indication Apple is trying to get into emerging markets like India. Right now, Apple has no chance given a Xiaomi Mi A3 sells for $169 and comes with 6.1" OLED, in-display fingerprint, and triple rear-camera.

Reactions: fancyrep and na1577

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019

“We predicted that Apple would launch the new ‌iPhone‌ model in 1H21 in a previous report ("‌iPhone‌ supply chain to be 2020 top pick in the tech sector; key predictions for new ‌iPhone‌ product mixes in 2020 and 2021" [December 5, 2019]). However, we think that Apple will likely postpone the new model from 1H21 to 2H21.”

?
The idea of the SE to Apple is that they can recycle existing parts to offer a “new” phone at a low price with only minimal R&D required. The 2020 SE is basically the iPhone 8 chassis with an update processor and camera module and 3D Touch removed.

Now this rumor is describing an entirely new phone design. If this phone ever materializes, I doubt it will be as affordable as either iteration of the SE so far.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I wonder if the alleged 6.1” se plus will use the same screen as the xr/11. I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Could be an issue to me, as the 11 gave me (and others) unexpected eye strain and headaches.

Reactions: crispswish

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
After watching several reviews today for the SE, I am finally off the fence on it. The looks of the phone are fine to me. I don’t care about the bezels or the fact it could pass for a 6 year old phone from 5 feet away. But seeing people holding it in their hands just shows how small it is. I have a hard time putting in text on my wife’s 11 pro, and the se is even smaller than that. I have only ever owned bigger iPhones (8+, xs max and 11). I like the idea of something new, but I think it would be a huge pain for me to use the se because I text a lot and am used to the wide keyboard. In the week or so that I had my 11, even that took some time to get used to the fact it was slightly more narrow. I’m 100% all in on the se plus. Just sucks because I have the itch for something new, even though the 8+ does what I need.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Why is there so much secrecy? Can someone just say for 100% fact that this phone exists and will actually be produced?

No one can tell you that. No product is 100% until it's officially announced. And even then, some never make it to consumers, like AirPower.

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
KA
Just sucks because I have the itch for something new, even though the 8+ does what I need.
Same thing for me. The SE is definitely really interesting, and I’d honestly consider getting it if the battery was 11/11 Pro level. As it is now, I can’t justify going to a smaller screen AND a smaller battery, it’s just not worth it. I was really hoping the SE Plus would be released sooner than later, but that doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen. On the bright side, like you mentioned, the 8+ is a perfectly serviceable option until the SE Plus *does* release.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
After watching several reviews today for the SE, I am finally off the fence on it. The looks of the phone are fine to me. I don’t care about the bezels or the fact it could pass for a 6 year old phone from 5 feet away. But seeing people holding it in their hands just shows how small it is. I have a hard time putting in text on my wife’s 11 pro, and the se is even smaller than that. I have only ever owned bigger iPhones (8+, xs max and 11). I like the idea of something new, but I think it would be a huge pain for me to use the se because I text a lot and am used to the wide keyboard. In the week or so that I had my 11, even that took some time to get used to the fact it was slightly more narrow. I’m 100% all in on the se plus. Just sucks because I have the itch for something new, even though the 8+ does what I need.

Let me tell you, my iPhone 8+ in space gray is my ‘daily driver’ for my work phone. And this thing is impeccable. And when I use the word impeccable, I mean in the sense that it has zero hardware issues, as Apple finally tweaked any previous faults with the previous models, and it has True tone/wireless charging/stereo speakers and the ‘dual camera‘ will still suffice.

Realistically, I can upgrade my work phone anytime I want, but I refuse, because it really is that solid of a phone.

what I would do if I were you, opt for the iPhone 8 Plus, and if the SE Plus does launch, then you can also sell/trade your 8+. And if the SE Plus does not launch [Id say by this time next year at the latest], then you still have a solid phone with 8+, so it’s a win-win situation either way.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
An iPhone SE Plus makes no sense - you would lose the single selling point of pocketable size. So my money is on that iPhone SE Plus being the actual iPhone 12 standard model. Let's wait and see.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
An iPhone SE Plus makes no sense - you would lose the single selling point of pocketable size. So my money is on that iPhone SE Plus being the actual iPhone 12 standard model. Let's wait and see.

Even Apple doesn't emphasize the "pocketable" size. Not sure where you're getting that.

Apple's byline is "The Most Affordable iPhone Features A13 Bionic, the Fastest Chip in a Smartphone, and the Best Single-Camera System in an iPhone."

Reactions: Locke Cole

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Snap. I gotta order a phone this coming week and it's going to be SE 2020 or 11 reluctantly. ?‍♂️?
In that case, I’d go 11 without a doubt. I liked my 11, but it somehow gave me unexplained headaches. I got to return it for free, so no loss. Do you have experience with small phones? Even the 11 feels smaller than the plus, and the se is obviously way smaller.
[automerge]1587662310[/automerge]
What is it that you need help with? Mine arrives tomorrow. :)
I know the phone is too small for me, but I have the itch for something new

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Even Apple doesn't emphasize the "pocketable" size. Not sure where you're getting that.

Apple's byline is "The Most Affordable iPhone Features A13 Bionic, the Fastest Chip in a Smartphone, and the Best Single-Camera System in an iPhone."
Let me rephrase: If we would get an iPhone SE Plus now that does almost exactly the same like an iPhone 11, costs more than an iPhone SE and less than the iPhone 11 - which problem would that solve?
[automerge]1587662531[/automerge]
I know the phone is too small for me, but I have the itch for something new
Then the 11 is it for you - or the 11 Pro, depending on your budget. I‘m going for SE because I‘m coming from a 8+ and wanted to go smaller for quite some time :)

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Let me rephrase: If we would get an iPhone SE Plus now that does almost exactly the same like an iPhone 11, costs more than an iPhone SE and less than the iPhone 11 - which problem would that solve?
[automerge]1587662531[/automerge]

Then the 11 is it for you - or the 11 Pro, depending on your budget. I‘m going for SE because I‘m coming from a 8+ and wanted to go smaller for quite some time :)
Pro gave me headaches and somehow the 11 did also. No issues with 8+

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Pro gave me headaches and somehow the 11 did also. No issues with 8+
But the 11 has no OLED screen. Did you try turning off Face ID when you tried the 11? I read somewhere that some people can‘t stand the infrared light, but I‘m not affected personally.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
But the 11 has no OLED screen. Did you try turning off Face ID when you tried the 11? I read somewhere that some people can‘t stand the infrared light, but I‘m not affected personally.
Yeah, it’s very odd. There’s a small number of us on here who are affected.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

The SE2 Plus would solve Apple's problem of decreasing margins. Right now, there is a gap between $399 and $599. The XR launched at $749 and is expected to drop to $499 in September. A $499 SE2 Plus helps both Apple and consumers. Keep in the mind the global ASP for smartphones is between $300 to $400.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
The SE2 Plus would solve Apple's problem of decreasing margins. Right now, there is a gap between $399 and $599. The XR launched at $749 and is expected to drop to $499 in September. A $499 SE2 Plus helps both Apple and consumers. Keep in the mind the global ASP for smartphones is between $300 to $400.
Not really sure I follow. How could the ASP for Apple smartphones be that low if they had no iPhone in that price category? Right, you‘re throwing all Android makers in the mix that are barely making any money out of that business. And still we do not know how a bigger iPhone SE Plus would be marketed at - like the iPhone SE, just bigger? Reviewers are knocking the „old“ design everywhere, I can‘t see Apple possibly throwing another Touch ID design with 5.5 inches out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.