Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
There is one telltale clue that something fishy is going on:
They discontinued the 8 Plus the day the SE2 was revealed.
That makes no sense at all because the 8 Plus is a very different phone.
My guess is because they want to dry up world wide stock of the 8 Plus to create some pent up demand so when the SE Plus drops in the future, everyone (who wants one) will clamor for it.
Those who say the Plus size phone has no purpose nowadays are missing the point. The whole point of a traditional Plus LCD screen is no OLED PWM flickering, 401 ppi and no notch (and bigger screen).

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
My guess is because they want to dry up world wide stock of the 8 Plus to create some pent up demand so when the SE Plus drops in the future, everyone (who wants one) will clamor for it.
Those who say the Plus size phone has no purpose nowadays are missing the point. The whole point of a traditional Plus LCD screen is no OLED PWM flickering, 401 ppi and no notch (and bigger screen).
I think there is far more demand for an affordable phone than for an se plus. Very few people who aren’t on forums are sitting at home wishing for an se plus. If it launches at $499, people would go grab it due to the cost. The main attraction of the SE is the cost. A lot of people justify it by saying they wanted a smaller phone, but cost is a huge part of it.

I strongly believe if the SE plus launched right with the 4.7” SE, it would probably outsell it easily. If they were the same price somehow, I could see it outselling it 4 to 1. People don’t want small phones as much as they want cheap phones.

Reactions: fancyrep

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I think there is far more demand for an affordable phone than for an se plus. Very few people who aren’t on forums are sitting at home wishing for an se plus. If it launches at $499, people would go grab it due to the cost. The main attraction of the SE is the cost. A lot of people justify it by saying they wanted a smaller phone, but cost is a huge part of it.

I strongly believe if the SE plus launched right with the 4.7” SE, it would probably outsell it easily. If they were the same price somehow, I could see it outselling it 4 to 1. People don’t want small phones as much as they want cheap phones.
Thats the problem for Apple though, if they release a upgraded iphone 8 plus aka SE plus, then its superb 1080p 401ppi notchless screen is going to cannibalise the iphone 11 sales. As much as i want this to happen (to replace my 8+), i just cant see it. I know how apple think, but i hope I'm wrong and it gets released.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Battery life on the new SE is (not surprisingly) mediocre. If apple has given it the same battery life as the 8+ I probably would have caved, and tried to get used to the tiny feel in hand. Looks like holding off was best. 1800mah is just crazy to me, although most of us are never far from an outlet.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Battery life on the new SE is (not surprisingly) mediocre. If apple has given it the same battery life as the 8+ I probably would have caved, and tried to get used to the tiny feel in hand. Looks like holding off was best. 1800mah is just crazy to me, although most of us are never far from an outlet.

I’m gonna nitpick your post here.

I think it’s a bit early to prejudge the battery life on the SE 2, in terms of The efficiency of the A13 SOC, low power mode and user settings, I guarantee you I can outdo ‘mediocre‘ with battery expectations. You have to look at one’s usage in terms of how they’re using their phone and what for. Battery life is by far the most subjective stance no two users will have the same results.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I’m gonna nitpick your post here.

I think it’s a bit early to prejudge the battery life on the SE 2, in terms of The efficiency of the A13 SOC, low power mode and user settings, I guarantee you I can outdo ‘mediocre‘ with battery expectations. You have to look at one’s usage in terms of how they’re using their phone and what for. Battery life is by far the most subjective stance no two users will have the same results.
The a13 is definitely more efficient than the a11 found in the 8, but it’s still a tiny battery. Apple has standby drain nailed, but usage is going to hit the battery hard due to simple physics. It’s like a car that gets 50 miles per gallon, but it only has an 8 gallon tank. You get a lot for how small the battery is, but for my personal usage I know it wouldn’t last.

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
Do you know if apple will start selling 8 plus in Refurb catergory? if so any idea about the tentative dates. I was looking to buy 8 plus but then thought SE plus would come so waited on and now i am left with no option of 8 plus from Apple.com

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Do you know if apple will start selling 8 plus in Refurb catergory? if so any idea about the tentative dates. I was looking to buy 8 plus but then thought SE plus would come so waited on and now i am left with no option of 8 plus from Apple.com

I'm kinda in the same boat. Apple UK refurb store had 8 Plus 256gb in stock all year. As soon as SE 2020 was announced they dropped the price to £500 and sold them all overnight, I've not seen stock since sadly. Kicking myself for waiting on SE Plus news thinking they may have been a few weeks or a month delay, now it's a no show for 2020.

Reactions: Aston441

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Are there any sites like swappa over there? Great deals on mint (and sometimes new) 8+ can be had today.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
bought three and will be returning all three due front and back camera dust. Looks like apple still doesn't understand how to make dust resistance phone

• Wow
Reactions: jimmy_uk

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

There was a $50 difference between the iPhone 8 Plus and XR. Most people were buying the XR to begin with.

The iPhone 11 sold better than expected. The 8 Plus was a weird phone that nobody wanted.

1588181823015.png

The SE2 Plus and SE3 Plus are inevitable, given the worldwide demand for large phones.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I’m no fan of used tech. Worn batteries, scratches, dirt etc. Brand new or Apple refurbished only for me.
I picked up a brand new 8+ for $425 last year. At the time, they were still $599 plus tax from Apple. I hear you on not wanting used stuff, but something like the 8+ has a very limited amount of new phones available.

crispswish

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020

Visible currently sells the iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Brand New, Unlocked for $360: https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphones/iphone-8-plus

No carrier-commitment; just pop your SIM in like you bought a phone from Apple.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
1. The current 8+ has 3GB RAM, I’m betting it’ll be the same for the SE Plus. I could see them bumping it to 4 though, especially since it’ll have the fairly dated A13 at that point.

Wait, you think if Apple releases an SE Plus by spring 2021, the A13 would be considered ‘dated‘? That’s not even close to being accurate. The A13 processor would probably considered being ‘dated‘ more like around 2023 as an example when newer technology May not take advantage of the A13 capabilities/core power.

Reactions: Locke Cole

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
I somehow feel there won't SE Plus with the same form factor as 8+.

I think that the XR is "the new plus". The difference between SE and XR is $200, so there might be some price space that the SE Plus could cover, but for now the XR is the choice for cheaper bigger phone from Apple.

I'm not sure if Apple sees the products the way we see them. They didn't produce SE with TouchID because some people still want to use TouchID. For them FaceID is better and keeping an iPhone with TouchID is purely because it is cheaper technology so they can offer the phone for lower price point.

I think Apple sees it like this: Ok, you want a bigger phone for a good price? Buy XR. And they don't consider that somebody wants a bigger phone with TouchID. Most people just take what they can afford and don't think about much whether they like TouchID more than FaceID.

That said, I still have a weird crush on iPhone 8+. I just like that phone. No FaceID, no OLED, nice rectangle 1080p display, telephoto lens, good battery. I'm still using 6s, the plus phones are quite big for my hands, but I think I will buy the 8+ for my birthday ?

Reactions: rui no onna

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not going to happen as there will be a 5.4”

OK? If you’re going to make a claim, then post a validated source that says otherwise that there won’t be an SE Plus.

Multiple {Credible} analyst(s) with Kuo/Prosser have stated already an SE Plus will be released by 2021. Not to mention, there’s been code discovered in iOS indicating an SE Plus accordingly.

Lucas284

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2018
Netherlands
OK? If you’re going to make a claim, then post a validated source that says otherwise that there won’t be an SE Plus.

Multiple {Credible} analyst(s) with Kuo/Prosser have stated already an SE Plus will be released by 2021. Not to mention, there’s been code discovered in iOS indicating an SE Plus accordingly.

Ok. Please do remind me next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.