Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhuynh

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Could everyone with minimal battery degradation please post your charging habits? Wireless or wired, what percentage do you start charging, what percentage do you stop, do you ever leave it charging over night.. etc.

Reactions: ConfusedChris

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I agree. My 21 monnth old 7 Plus is still showing at 100% health. Mind you, as I have said in previous posts, I charge at 20/30% and take off chage 90/95%. Very rae do I charge to 100%.
It is impossible for a 21 month old 7 Plus to have 100% health.

Reactions: w_aldo

JemTheWire

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
Impossible it may appear to be, but that's what the Battery Health status says. I also have to say that I don't have any issue with battery life either, so as far as I am concerned 2+2=4.

Battery.png

This is a screen shot taken a couple of minutes ago...

Attachments

• Battery.png
    Battery.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
at 100 % - i do wired charging - plug in every night about 8:00 pm and unplug about 5:00 am the next am.

curtis242

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
England
My iphone x is the same got it mid january an its down to 92% dont use wireless charging just use normal 5v iphone charger plug it in when i go to bed between 12am-1am an unplug when i get up at 6:30am. Am i still able to get the battery changed by apple for £25 even though it hasnt gone down to 80%?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
My iphone x is the same got it mid january an its down to 92% dont use wireless charging just use normal 5v iphone charger plug it in when i go to bed between 12am-1am an unplug when i get up at 6:30am. Am i still able to get the battery changed by apple for £25 even though it hasnt gone down to 80%?

That’s the same question I have. I’ve had mine since launch day and I’m down to 91%. I’m not upgrading this year, so I would like to get the battery replaced.

Reactions: curtis242

blackdogaudio

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2016
Could everyone with minimal battery degradation please post your charging habits? Wireless or wired, what percentage do you start charging, what percentage do you stop, do you ever leave it charging over night.. etc.

I purchased mine on launch day and it's still at 100% as of this post.

I charge mine every night as it serves as my pager working as an IT technician in the medical field. On a bad day researching fixes for computer issues via Safari and getting hammered with 60 pages on average, fielding calls from clients, team mates and vendors as well as being on call 24/7 once a month it's basically my computer and phone when I'm in the field or on call at home so it can drop to 45% by the time I get home at day's end.

A light day keeps me in the office with most calls being remotable and my desk phone takes the load off my X. On these days it's averaging 75% when I get home.

Regardless of the charge remaining I always charge it when I sleep using the supplied Apple wired charger and I don't remove it from the charger until I leave for work every morning. It's still working as I sleep serving as my alarm clock thanks to the bedtime feature but being on the charger, it's always at 100% when I awake.

Basically it never gets charged except while I sleep (and always as I sleep) as I can't afford a dead phone while on duty. This routine apparently keeps my X's battery rather healthy.

Last edited:

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Seems like there's a correlation to charging with Wireless Charger and/or Fast Chargers (29W or 12W iPad Chargers) and faster battery health decline. Seems to mirror my friend's battery health (iPhone X exclusively charged by the 5W charging brick).

Hers is 96% while mine is at 90%. Both are same, launch day unit.

Also, another theory as to why the X's battery health decline is faster is because it is using two batteries combined in to an L-shape configuration which one might infer as two batteries degrading per charge instead of one solid bricks found on iPhone 8 Plus and below.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
iPhone X - 2 1/2 months ago from Verizon (had AT&T launch X), I am at 99%. Use the 29w USB-C Apple charger and USB-C to Lightning cable. Past few weeks, I have been using a 7.5w fast charger instead. Only charge when I sleep. I have been using the 29w USB-C since my 7 Plus. Never had an issue.

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Launch day 98% mix of wired and wireless charging...tend to charge once a day at night over wireless

Last edited:

Aussi3

Suspended
Jun 3, 2012
Facesticks on the App store
I try not to let mine get below 20% and I use my 12.9 iPad Pro charger to charge it. I leave it charging overnight sometimes

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I not sure why all this concern and panic if a batter has lost 9% almost a year. At that rate your batter will last what about 8 years which I'm sure is longer than the rest of the phone. Why is that amount considered horrible and requiring immediate replacement. Do you expect to use it or anything else and expect no wear after 10 months?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I not sure why all this concern and panic if a batter has lost 9% almost a year. At that rate your batter will last what about 8 years which I'm sure is longer than the rest of the phone. Why is that amount considered horrible and requiring immediate replacement. Do you expect to use it or anything else and expect no wear after 10 months?

The only reason why I’m concerned is my iPhone 7+ was used for 14 months heavily and went down to 98%, whereas I had my X on launch day and have 91%. I don’t use my X as much as I used my 7+.

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
[doublepost=1534657699][/doublepost]Because the battery can only hold at 80% below that is no good anymore so 9-10% a year is about right you have to replace it after 2 years.
[doublepost=1534657789][/doublepost]
The only reason why I’m concerned is my iPhone 7+ was used for 14 months heavily and went down to 98%, whereas I had my X on launch day and have 91%. I don’t use my X as much as I used my 7+.
Same here i dont even use my X for games maybe because i use tethering? Btw mine is 96% bought it november.

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
Same here.

287 charges - 92% battery health IPhone X bought in November.

Heavy user I am. Using iOS 12 public beta 12.
From time to time battery seems to run very warm.

Don’t know why.
Maybe it’s offtopic (but is there any tool there) how to see which process is running on iPhone X?
So that I can see which process Takes how much CPU usage?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
[doublepost=1534657699][/doublepost]Because the battery can only hold at 80% below that is no good anymore so 9-10% a year is about right you have to replace it after 2 years.
[doublepost=1534657789][/doublepost]
Same here i dont even use my X for games maybe because i use tethering? Btw mine is 96% bought it november.

I picked mine up at the UPS Hub on November 3rd. I use my 7+ for games. I’m still going to try to get the battery replaced on or before December 31st. For the first time in 7 years I’m not upgrading my iPhone. I love my X and am not ready to part with it. Hopefully by next year the X+ will have the kinks ironed out.

ipadoxca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I picked mine up at the UPS Hub on November 3rd. I use my 7+ for games. I’m still going to try to get the battery replaced on or before December 31st. For the first time in 7 years I’m not upgrading my iPhone. I love my X and am not ready to part with it. Hopefully by next year the X+ will have the kinks ironed out.
Lmao I say that every year I hope we both stick to that thought this year.

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
I get 6-7h of screen time most of the time.

Lol, don’t have a single game installed. I just use my phone a lot.

Screen time measurement that you take from the battery status? I’m around 5-6h and use it heavily like you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.