Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlinker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2019
Hi there, just today I discovered that my iPhone X screen is popping up from the case. Upon further inspection it appears to be a swollen battery. I am going to the apple store tomorrow but I was wondering if I will be getting a new replacement or would Apple replace the battery? And what would the cost be? The iPhone is out of warranty but it is still under 2 years old.

Update: Just took it into the apple store today and the person that was helping me out replaced the the whole iPhone for free. Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Unless the battery damaged the phone.

Sure, but a swollen battery in most cases can simply be replaced. Replacing the whole phone out of warranty would at least be a lot more expensive, so I'd hope Apple doesn't force this option on the customer if it isn't actually necessary.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
They'll replace just the battery, that's 69 USD.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
Sure, but a swollen battery in most cases can simply be replaced. Replacing the whole phone out of warranty would at least be a lot more expensive, so I'd hope Apple doesn't force this option on the customer if it isn't actually necessary.
As someone who has had their iPhone 5 replaced three times because of a swollen battery I can tell you that they will replace the entire phone.

Why?

Because unlike a dead or dying battery, swollen batteries require special tools and a special process done by people with special training. If, during the replacement the battery is punctured it can be …explosive.

No Apple store does or is allowed to do this. All iDevices with swollen batteries are sent to a special facility for that.

Consequently, Apple is willing to give the customer a remanufactured device while claiming the parts of the one with the swollen battery.

Final note…the batteries are encased in a protective sleeve so there is no need to worry about problems while it's swelling. The danger is if that sleeve gets punctured.

EDIT: If this is a common issue (like with the iPhone 5) Apple only charges for the battery replacement and not a device replacement cost.
[doublepost=1565216647][/doublepost]
Discharge, then don't use or charge a phone that has a swollen battery. It could catch fire or explode.
Only if punctured.

There is no danger as long as the sleeve that encases the battery isn't punctured or damaged.

Not that I'd continue using one with a swollen battery though…

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

If the phone is showing signs of a swollen battery, chances are it is bulging the case unless the OP has X-ray vision. You are misleading people with your lack of facts.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi there, just today I discovered that my iPhone X screen is popping up from the case. Upon further inspection it appears to be a swollen battery. I am going to the apple store tomorrow but I was wondering if I will be getting a new replacement or would Apple replace the battery? And what would the cost be? The iPhone is out of warranty but it is still under 2 years old.

Update: Just took it into the apple store today and the person that was helping me out replaced the the whole iPhone for free. Thanks for all the replies.

Glad this ended well for you, enjoy the replacement!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If the phone is showing signs of a swollen battery, chances are it is bulging the case unless the OP has X-ray vision. You are misleading people with your lack of facts.
Yeah. In these cases, it's the weakest point that fails first and that's the screen - which results in the screen pushing up.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012

Yes, the screen pushes out a bit, but it can be fixed. I just didn't know Apple wouldn't do this, thanks for the info.

fweber

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Germany
Some news to Apple's repair policy regarding swollen batteries. I experienced the same issue with my iPhone X, out of warranty for 2 months (bought in November 2017, 2 year warranty in Germany) and have visited the Apple Store nearby to get it repaired or exchanged.

However, they only offered to ship the device to a specialiced repair shop (for the usual battery exchange fee), which would have taken around 5-10 workdays at best. No loaner device available, no device exchange possible. I wouldn't mind the costs at all, but at least 2 weeks without a phone is not my understanding of a 1000$ phone customer service.

While i'm not confident that a case bulging that much can be fixed again, i'm especially disappointed by Apple's lack of goodwill and customer care.

GenevaMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
Zero understanding Zero goodwill for Apples faulty and dangerous battery “don’t use it could catch fire or explode if you charge it”
Repair shops said too dangerous for them to touch my phone, so they can’t replace the battery
APPLESTORE, NO REPLACEMENT iPHONE X 256GB GIVEN IN SWITZERLAND 10 Jan 2020 - Applestore Geneva says to be sent to factory and after 14 to 21 days they should provide a replacement. Not even guaranteed to get a replacement! in that time. Zero understanding Zero goodwill.
After double checking with the supervisor, Applestore said I could
1) upgrade the phone to 11 pro they would allow me CHF 250 for my CHF 1,200 Phone plus I would have to give them CHF 950
2) buy another phone from them at full price and return it within 2 weeks pretending I no longer liked it!
I have ethics and standards, I do not fiddle, I would never ask a customer to lie to me to get a refund, but for Applestore Geneva this is normal practice “we do it all the time”
Zero understanding Zero goodwill for Apples faulty and dangerous battery “don’t use it could catch fire or explode if you charge it”

• Sad
Reactions: bayportbob

fweber

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Germany
So, given that there are several reports of iPhone X with swollen batteries and the oldest devices today are just 26 months old - could there be a major issue with iPhone X batteries?

Reactions: MDF314159265

GenevaMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
The answer from staff was yes, there were so many people with battery issues, I understand they have stopped replacing phones with battery issues. They send them to a factory to look at them (leaving you without a phone for 14 to 21 days or more) then they will give you a refurbished phone.
If there were fewer issues they would have kept on replacing them straight away.
for me it is ZERO INTEGRITY, ZERO UNDERSTANDING, ZERO GOODWILL and of course ZERO BATTERY QUALITY

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The last time I had to have my iPhone 5 replaced because of the swelling battery, Apple ordered a new phone and then called me when it was ready to be picked up. Only then was a swap initiated.

I guess outside the US it may be handled differently.

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Hi,

on my iPhone X (bought in November 2017) the battery was also swollen in October 2019. The display slightly popping up from the case. The device was sent in and I had to wait about a week (AppleStore Hamburg Germany). The device was not replaced. A new battery and a new display were installed.

So far everything runs fine.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Repair shops said too dangerous for them to touch my phone, so they can’t replace the battery
APPLESTORE, NO REPLACEMENT iPHONE X 256GB GIVEN IN SWITZERLAND 10 Jan 2020 - Applestore Geneva says to be sent to factory and after 14 to 21 days they should provide a replacement. Not even guaranteed to get a replacement! in that time. Zero understanding Zero goodwill.
After double checking with the supervisor, Applestore said I could
1) upgrade the phone to 11 pro they would allow me CHF 250 for my CHF 1,200 Phone plus I would have to give them CHF 950
2) buy another phone from them at full price and return it within 2 weeks pretending I no longer liked it!
I have ethics and standards, I do not fiddle, I would never ask a customer to lie to me to get a refund, but for Applestore Geneva this is normal practice “we do it all the time”
So u had a swollen battery and apple refused to fix it within warranty?

Never heard about that in this forum.

Within the period for battery replacement 2018 they gave me a refurbished unit for my out of warranty 6s cos of a swollen battery for 29€.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

fweber

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Germany
According to the employees at Apple Store, Apple recently changed conditions for a device swap. It‘s no longer as easy as before.

So i encourage every iPhone X owner to check the phone for any suspicious deformation. Might be a production issue.

mhoepfin

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
Just took my iphone X out of the battery case and the screen is pushed out with a swollen battery ugh device in a bootloop.

Reactions: maxjohnson2

GenevaMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
Just took my iphone X out of the battery case and the screen is pushed out with a swollen battery ugh device in a bootloop.
It has been explained to me that whatever you do, do not try to push the screen back into the case. That is when fire and explosions happen. I was planning on doing this when I passed a phone repair shop and they explained what the problem was and why phone repair shops don’t get involved when an iPhone X is as “swollen” as mine, only an Applestore can resolve.

fweber

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Germany
Exactly. I was told that, first of all, my device is still safe and i can continue using it in this condition (iPhone X now with bent™ display). Seems like they are aware of X battery issues.

berkshirecamper

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2020
I took my iphone x to the Apple Store yesterday because of the swollen battery pushing the screen out of the case. It was out of warranty but they replaced it free, no hassle at all. I was in and out of the store in a half hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.