Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I took my iphone x to the Apple Store yesterday because of the swollen battery pushing the screen out of the case. It was out of warranty but they replaced it free, no hassle at all. I was in and out of the store in a half hour.

Replaced the phone or the battery?

GenevaMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
I took my iphone x to the Apple Store yesterday because of the swollen battery pushing the screen out of the case. It was out of warranty but they replaced it free, no hassle at all. I was in and out of the store in a half hour.
Hi Berkshircamper, may I ask what country your AppleStore is? Because in Geneva, Switzerland you have to wait three weeks with no loan phone To get a phone back! For your phone that if it did not have the airbag for it to become swollen, would have caught fire or exploded! You also have to pay CHF 70 to replace the defective battery!
[automerge]1580301131[/automerge]
Exactly. I was told that, first of all, my device is still safe and i can continue using it in this condition (iPhone X now with bent™ display). Seems like they are aware of X battery issues.
Hi fewbwer, if your AppleStore feels that confident, then take the phone into the store and try to push the screen back into the case in the store. I believe they will say, don’t do it in the store, please do nor apply any pressure on the swolen phone because that will risk a fire or explosion. Not my words but AppleStore staff words!

berkshirecamper

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2020
Replaced the phone or the battery?
Replaced the phone.
[automerge]1580302143[/automerge]
Hi Berkshircamper, may I ask what country your AppleStore is? Because in Geneva, Switzerland you have to wait three weeks with no loan phone To get a phone back! For your phone that if it did not have the airbag for it to become swollen, would have caught fire or exploded! You also have to pay CHF 70 to replace the defective battery!
[automerge]1580301131[/automerge]

Hi fewbwer, if your AppleStore feels that confident, then take the phone into the store and try to push the screen back into the case in the store. I believe they will say, don’t do it in the store, please do nor apply any pressure on the swolen phone because that will risk a fire or explosion. Not my words but AppleStore staff words!
[automerge]1580302194[/automerge]
Replaced the phone.
U.S.
[automerge]1580302228[/automerge]
Replaced the phone.

U.S.
U.S.

Last edited:

GenevaMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
Replaced the phone.

U.S.
[automerge]1580302228[/automerge]
U.S.
You are luckier is US than in Switzerland, felt awful not having my phone! Hopefully your new one won’t have issues. Have a good day.

zachdog

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
The X has two batteries. Statistically, that raises the probability that it will have battery problems.

I'm not surprised that people are having issues, although I feel bad for those of you with this problem. Fortunately, Apple returned to a conventional single battery in more recent models of the iPhone.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
Just found this thread to say that yesterday I discovered my launch day iPhone X now has a swollen battery. Not very close to an Apple store, so I’m going to try my luck at Best Buy. According to the Apple Support app, BB is now an authorized service provider. We’ll see how it goes.

MuggyM

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
Discovered this last week on my iPhone X bought in Dec'17. No Apple Store in Ireland and Authorized dealer has quoted me 673 euro for Apple to replace the device. Long time iPhone fan so really disappointed they won't replace for free. From these threads, it would be cheaper to fly to an Apple Store?

Reactions: AidenL

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Discharge, then don't use or charge a phone that has a swollen battery. It could catch fire or explode.

And here we (may) see why Apple replaced the iPhone.

If you are in the USA, and something breaks outside the 1 year warranty, tough. Just bad luck.
But if it still works but is dangerous (like with a swollen battery), then the manufacturer has to do something about that danger. Easiest is of course replacing it.
At some point, Apple had to replace six year old iPods in South Korea because apparently they could catch fire - but only if they were still working.
[automerge]1581696943[/automerge]
Discovered this last week on my iPhone X bought in Dec'17. No Apple Store in Ireland and Authorized dealer has quoted me 673 euro for Apple to replace the device. Long time iPhone fan so really disappointed they won't replace for free. From these threads, it would be cheaper to fly to an Apple Store?
It would be a lot cheaper to give Apple support a call.

Morrissey

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2018
San Diego, California
I had have an iPhone X, who had two issues with the screen, both times Apple change the screen for free, first time was on warranty (sometimes the screen didn't work) and last time it fell and the screen had a green line in the middle, it wasn't broken and didn't hit hard on the floor ? , this last time was out of warranty but I try and they change the screen free. They know that the screens are bad

MuggyM

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
And here we (may) see why Apple replaced the iPhone.

If you are in the USA, and something breaks outside the 1 year warranty, tough. Just bad luck.
But if it still works but is dangerous (like with a swollen battery), then the manufacturer has to do something about that danger. Easiest is of course replacing it.
At some point, Apple had to replace six year old iPods in South Korea because apparently they could catch fire - but only if they were still working.
[automerge]1581696943[/automerge]

It would be a lot cheaper to give Apple support a call.
I did and they said since it's out of warranty there's nothing they can do.

Trudi Marburg

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2020
I am in Australia. Apple have just yesterday replaced my iphone X with a remanufactured one (I was lucky because the stores have just closed for 2 weeks due to coronavirus). the battery was swollen and had pushed the screen out. The phone was two years and three months old. It had previously had the screen replaced through apple care - I dropped it. When they gave me the new phone the also advised me that it was covered by the Apple standard 12 month warranty and also an additional 12 month statutory warranty through Australian consumer law. Apple honour this effectively as a 2 year apple warranty.

In the past Apple has provided excellent backup service. I took another phone in for battery replacement a few months ago. (It was a 6S plus, over 3 years old). The phone was working when I took it in, but the battery life was only a few hours. They wanted, I think, about 30 dollars for the replacement; I agreed, but when they fired it up with the new battery it had some problems and wouldn’t reboot. Their response? New phone, including the 2 year warranty mentioned above.

These phone were bought at an apple store, and have never had third party repairs. I used to baulk at the prices apple charge, but having experienced first hand retail service levels that I have never had anywhere else I can’t understand some of the experiences described in this forum.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
Apple replaced my iPhone X with swollen battery for free even though it was out of warranty.

But they also refused to fix my AppleWatch with a screen malfunction even though it was under warranty.

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA
I found this thread because like many others - I also have a “launch day” iPhone X with a bulging battery. With Chinese virus shutting everything down though, I can’t get a replacement. I was hoping to hold out on upgrading for another year, but don’t want to hold onto this fire hazard.
My iPhone X was otherwise in perfect condition. Hopefully the 11 doesn’t have the same issue in a year or two!

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I’m getting the feeling that keeping it fully charged all the time can cause swelling. It is important to run the battery down from time to time.

I’m torn about how dangerous it really is to hold on to a swollen device. There is no question that they really are dangerous, but to be honest, I have had some devices where it took me months to realize I had a swollen battery, and nothing bad happened. Although you do need to take it seriously, my hunch is that keeping it for a few weeks (treating it gently) is unlikely to cause harm.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m getting the feeling that keeping it fully charged all the time can cause swelling. It is important to run the battery down from time to time.

I’m torn about how dangerous it really is to hold on to a swollen device. There is no question that they really are dangerous, but to be honest, I have had some devices where it took me months to realize I had a swollen battery, and nothing bad happened. Although you do need to take it seriously, my hunch is that keeping it for a few weeks (treating it gently) is unlikely to cause harm.

Lets look at it like this, if you’re the slightest bit concerned as you are with the phone in its current state, then stop using it. Seriously, if it’s posing a potential safety risk, then you’re putting yourself at risk to injure yourself in a situation that is unpredictable.

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA

Since you mentioned it, I have very rarely let my phone drop below even 50%. My iPhone X has spent the better part of its life connected to a charger. Not out of necessity, but out of habit. I’ve known better too - I used to tell everyone to fully discharge at least once a week. Time to change habits!

And regarding the matter of safety, I can say that I’ve been carrying this around in its condition since at least the beginning of the year. :oops: The sudden discovery of its condition has me on edge though. Ignorance was bliss, while it lasted!

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
Wow... sorry.

Pretty much the whole world is in a sort of "lockdown" right now. Apple is certainly aware of this, and they have done several things to try to help the situation.

I don't know for sure if Apple would be willing to fix a three-year-old iPhone anyway, but if they were willing, I do not believe they will change their mind because of an additional delay due to the virus.

I'm not sure how urgently you need a phone, and I'm also not sure if there are any essential stores still running in your area. So I don't know what to suggest for the time being, but you probably know your situation better than anyone else.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I recently noticed that the screen on my launch day iPhone X was bulging up out of the frame (the glass was raised on either side and I could feel the slightly sharper edges). With all the Apple shops closed I arranged for a mail-in repair. They replaced the battery (and speaker) for the battery repair fee.

Although I had stopped using the phone immediately when I noticed the problem, it took 1 week from sending my device off to getting it back repaired.

Spinning Fan

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
I noticed the battery on my iPhone X started to getting hot recently, and it showed "Service" when I checked in Settings>Battery.
This was even though the battery capacity was still showing at 97%.. No visible swelling yet, but it does feel a bit swollen.

Long story short, I called Apple support, and they are repairing the unit free of charge. Although I need to go through some settings and a temporary move to my wife's spare Android (the only modern spare phone left in my house..), I am very happy with how Apple handled all of this up to this point.. knock on wood.

I didn't realize I was in extended Apple care .. must have been something that I purchased without thinking about it at the electronics chain .. but this now allows me to continue to use the X for at least another product release cycle or two. Hopefully this lets me recover some of the insurance money I had spent on Apple Care over the years.

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
I got my X first week of launch also. Swollen battery for the last month, due to lockdown, I only managed to get it in for repair last week. I was quoted 10 working days for repair, it may or may not be under warranty.

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
Update from me - after 12 days in the repair centre, Apple have confirmed that I have a swollen battery, but also liquid damage.

i contended that the phone is water resistant, and any liquid could only have entered due to the battery swelling and popping out the screen. They denied any warranty claim to me, even under EU law. So I was quoted 680 euros for repair.

I’ll have to try a third party repair shop. Disappointing, im deep in the Apple ecosystem, but thinking about voting with my wallet and making a shift to Samsung, Microsoft and Spotify.
[automerge]1592338497[/automerge]
I was quoted the same price by CompuB today also. I declined their kind offer!

• Angry
Reactions: srkirt

reddgt

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
I found this thread because like many others - I also have a “launch day” iPhone X with a bulging battery. With Chinese virus shutting everything down though, I can’t get a replacement. I was hoping to hold out on upgrading for another year, but don’t want to hold onto this fire hazard.
My iPhone X was otherwise in perfect condition. Hopefully the 11 doesn’t have the same issue in a year or two!
me also,,,, just noticed the swelling pushing my screen. apple support won’t do anything,,, it’s a little over 2 yrs old. paid like $1200 for the thing. getting exhausted trying to find someone to help with this issue

• Angry
Reactions: srkirt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.