Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The1andOnly

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2020
Hi @FloridaLove, it’s really disappointing to read this thread and continue to see such inconsistency in the way Apple is treating this obviously pervasive problem. Good luck in getting a good result. I think your solution is a good one. If anyone doesn’t like it, tough.

J_Ramaj

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
I just wanted to share my experience on this issue as well. I literally activated my 12 Pro Max on Friday. On Sunday I noticed that it seemed like the screen on my X felt weird..like it had a bulge. At first it was hard to tell because I keep my phones in a case but once I popped the case off I saw that the screen was pushed up. I chatted with Apple and they set an appointment with my local Apple Store for Thursday. I went to the store, they ran their diagnostics, and then took the phone to back for about 10 minutes before finally coming back and saying the battery was swollen. I was quoted the standard $69 battery fee since the phone was out of warranty but I was surprised when they told me that any other damage caused by the battery would be my responsibility. They said my screen looked fine but it was possible the battery could've damaged it or other components. If that were the case I could then decide if I wanted a replacement phone but I would be charged the out of warranty replacement fee. They didn't tell me a cost so I'm assuming it was in $300 to $500 range that I've seen mentioned in other places.

The other option would be to take the phone back as is..of course it would be considered a "failed repair" but they said the swelling isn't "that bad" and the battery was still in good health so I could still use it like that. They also said that since the battery was swollen the TECH may damage something trying to get it out of the phone. Once again that responsibility would fall on me and the only option would be to pay for the replacement phone. It was a big risk but I finally said screw it, go ahead and attempt the repair. They quoted a 2 hour repair time because they said they needed to drain the battery for the tech's safety before they could even begin the repair. 2 and a half hours later the repair was done and luckily everything was fine. They said it's standard procedure to replace the speaker whenever they replace the battery so I got a new battery and speaker for $69 plus tax.

They were nice but I am disappointed that Apple has seemingly shifted the blame to the users. Even if the swollen battery is what damaged the display or any other components in the phone the user is still responsible for the full cost of a replacement phone. I guess they have stopped the "replacement for the cost of a battery" thing they were doing. But the good news is that they are indeed doing the battery replacements in the stores now. So you won't have to wait for them to ship the phone off.

My iPhone X is also a launch day phone. I've used wireless charging maybe 10 times over the life of it and it's actually been a SECONDARY phone for the last two years because I picked up the Xs Max on launch day as well. I love the X but I've always been a big phone guy so I immediately jumped when a bigger phone was available. Nonetheless the X gets used regularly but it isn't a daily driver. Always used Apple chargers yet it still randomly swelled up. My series 2 watch also swelled up but at least Apple admitted that was a problem..I still haven't seen anything concerning the X. My battery was at 93% health when it swelled. Nonetheless I'm happy it's fixed and I should be able to get many more years of use out of it. I keep my old phones and rotate them so while I do have a 12 Pro Max I'll still be using the X and Xs Max. I just hope we're not facing the same battery issues with the Xs Max or any of their newer phones in a couple of years.

The1andOnly

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2020
I just wanted to share my experience on this issue as well. I literally activated my 12 Pro Max on Friday. On Sunday I noticed that it seemed like the screen on my X felt weird..like it had a bulge. At first it was hard to tell because I keep my phones in a case but once I popped the case off I saw that the screen was pushed up. I chatted with Apple and they set an appointment with my local Apple Store for Thursday. I went to the store, they ran their diagnostics, and then took the phone to back for about 10 minutes before finally coming back and saying the battery was swollen. I was quoted the standard $69 battery fee since the phone was out of warranty but I was surprised when they told me that any other damage caused by the battery would be my responsibility. They said my screen looked fine but it was possible the battery could've damaged it or other components. If that were the case I could then decide if I wanted a replacement phone but I would be charged the out of warranty replacement fee. They didn't tell me a cost so I'm assuming it was in $300 to $500 range that I've seen mentioned in other places.

The other option would be to take the phone back as is..of course it would be considered a "failed repair" but they said the swelling isn't "that bad" and the battery was still in good health so I could still use it like that. They also said that since the battery was swollen the TECH may damage something trying to get it out of the phone. Once again that responsibility would fall on me and the only option would be to pay for the replacement phone. It was a big risk but I finally said screw it, go ahead and attempt the repair. They quoted a 2 hour repair time because they said they needed to drain the battery for the tech's safety before they could even begin the repair. 2 and a half hours later the repair was done and luckily everything was fine. They said it's standard procedure to replace the speaker whenever they replace the battery so I got a new battery and speaker for $69 plus tax.

They were nice but I am disappointed that Apple has seemingly shifted the blame to the users. Even if the swollen battery is what damaged the display or any other components in the phone the user is still responsible for the full cost of a replacement phone. I guess they have stopped the "replacement for the cost of a battery" thing they were doing. But the good news is that they are indeed doing the battery replacements in the stores now. So you won't have to wait for them to ship the phone off.

My iPhone X is also a launch day phone. I've used wireless charging maybe 10 times over the life of it and it's actually been a SECONDARY phone for the last two years because I picked up the Xs Max on launch day as well. I love the X but I've always been a big phone guy so I immediately jumped when a bigger phone was available. Nonetheless the X gets used regularly but it isn't a daily driver. Always used Apple chargers yet it still randomly swelled up. My series 2 watch also swelled up but at least Apple admitted that was a problem..I still haven't seen anything concerning the X. My battery was at 93% health when it swelled. Nonetheless I'm happy it's fixed and I should be able to get many more years of use out of it. I keep my old phones and rotate them so while I do have a 12 Pro Max I'll still be using the X and Xs Max. I just hope we're not facing the same battery issues with the Xs Max or any of their newer phones in a couple of years.

Disappointing, but thanks for the report.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I didn’t think it was disappointing. It had a happy ending because he was charged only 69$ for a battery and speaker replacement. That’s fantastic and it’s a 3 year old phone. He’s ahead of the game with that phone

The1andOnly

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2020

I didn’t think it was disappointing. It had a happy ending because he was charged only 69$ for a battery and speaker replacement. That’s fantastic and it’s a 3 year old phone. He’s ahead of the game with that phone
First, I respect your right to have an opinion different than mine. I called @J_Ramaj‘s situation disappointing for two reasons.

1. There is no consistency, with which Apple deals with swollen batteries, especially in iPhone X, which seems to be common. I’ve now had two swollen battery phones (5 & X) replaced by Apple for free, no charge at all. Neither had AppleCare+ and they were both far out of warranty. Why is calling for customer service like Russian Roulette?

2. Even more disappointing is the fact that Apple now seems to be holding firm on charging users for any other damage to the phone caused by the swollen battery, which is almost never the user’s fault.

Reactions: Slitted

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
First, I respect your right to have an opinion different than mine. I called @J_Ramaj‘s situation disappointing for two reasons.

1. There is no consistency, with which Apple deals with swollen batteries, especially in iPhone X, which seems to be common. I’ve now had two swollen battery phones (5 & X) replaced by Apple for free, no charge at all. Neither had AppleCare+ and they were both far out of warranty. Why is calling for customer service like Russian Roulette?

2. Even more disappointing is the fact that Apple now seems to be holding firm on charging users for any other damage to the phone caused by the swollen battery, which is almost never the user’s fault.
1. True. There will Probably never be consistency. I’ve had this experience with both Apple and Verizon, my carrier. The reason is pretty simple from my anecdotal experience. Representatives have varying levels of knowledge and information. One person tells you one thing and another tells you something else. I usually hang up until I get the person with the “right answer”. Lol. Overall my experience with Apple customer service has been excellent, especially when it comes to returns and exchanges.

2. As I mentioned earlier I haven’t had a negative experience yet. I think in his case Apple wants to act as a deterrent to people who actually may have abused the phone and don’t have a legitimate cause. What if their kid put the phone in the microwave and that expanded the battery? Ok bad example. How about the phone was left on the cars dashboard and the sun magnified on the phone, heated it up, battery expansion? that’s why there is a “limited warranty”. Otherwise the flood gates would be open

Reactions: The1andOnly

indy mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
My iPhone X got really hot yesterday while charging and the battery swelled up to the point where the screen is bowed out. But the real problem is the screen was damaged by the bowing and there are now vertical white and green stripes on it. I get that batteries do wear out and need replacing but this is a really bad failure mode when it damages other expensive components in the phone. I'm bringing it in to the Genius Bar on Saturday and hoping for the best. I have no problem paying for a new battery but I consider the screen damage a design flaw on Apple's part.
IMG_7842.jpg
IMG_7841.jpg

Last edited:

indy mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
As a followup I brought my phone to the 'genius' at the local Apple Store and they want to charge me $350 for a new battery and a new screen. Not real happy with Apple now since the screen failure was due to their poor battery design, not my negligence.

Reactions: Peter K.

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Came across this thread and wanted to add 2021 experience. Launch day iPhone X screen began to elevate on one side a few weeks ago. Was very subtle at first and didn’t realize it without taking the case off. Used and charged normally not realizing the battery was swelling. Screen and phone otherwise working fine. Took it to apple store this week as the screen lifted further and they replaced the battery in store with no questions asked. No mention of replacement was made. The original phone was returned case restored and working fine. Charged as battery replacement $69 USD plus tax.
Plan on upgrade to the 13 pro but hopefully now will get some trade in value for the X apart from the safety factor.

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Since this thread is up again, I’ll say. My release day iPhone X developed the slightest swelling after about two years, in 2019. It took me a while to convince the apple store bloke, because it was subtle, but in the end they replaced it for free. I did have AC+.
looks like I got lucky.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Since this thread is up again, I’ll say. My release day iPhone X developed the slightest swelling after about two years, in 2019. It took me a while to convince the apple store bloke, because it was subtle, but in the end they replaced it for free. I did have AC+.
looks like I got lucky.

You definitely lucked out. I had to pay for a battery replacement. I can’t believe they made any of us pay for that repair.

wtzouris

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
Wow so I'm very happy with the iPhone X (replacement) in 2020, and having the iPhone 11 Pro my hands for two weeks made me realize that other than the camera quality the phone didn't perform any better. I'm still using my iPhone X and will probably not replace it until the iPhone 14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.