Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is 64GB enough for your iPhone?

• I have 64GB, and it's plenty for me!

Votes: 168 49.7%
  • I have 64GB, and it's not enough.

Votes: 33 9.8%
  • Can't have fewer than 128GB!

Votes: 122 36.1%
  • Even 32GB is enough for me.

Votes: 15 4.4%

• Total voters

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
It’s all about what you do with your iPhone. Are you talking 4K videos?
Are you storing photos in the cloud or on your iPhone
Are you storing music on the iPhone or in the cloud
It’s all about what you do. I was on vacation last year and took a few hundred pictures it all adds up
To minimize your storage needed use the cloud when possible

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I use iCloud but like to have more than enough storage to last me for years. I downloaded a few plays lists to minimize data usage while away from WiFi but mostly stream while home. And I take pictures and leave them on the phone, relying on the optimization feature to free space if needed

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I'm not anti-cloud. I use cloud storage for backup and sync. I have 200GB iCloud and 2TB Dropbox family plans. I also have a 20TB Synology NAS for local media storage. However, I still pay for upgraded storage on my iPhones and iPads depending on what data I wish to be able to access regardless of internet connectivity. Even at home, having media stored locally is good for when the internet goes down.

Yep I am pretty much in the same setup here, except actually upgrading the device storage. I hardly ever find myself in a situation where I need to consume media without the internet. The only time this is applicable to me is on the flights. Most of my trips are always to the countries where either roaming is cheap or I don’t need to pay extra to have access to my U.K. data limit. Albeit this may change now that we’re in the post Brexit phase. And maybe I may need more storage on my next device.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Surprised everyone thinks you have to live in the cloud if you have 64 gig.

Everything I have is stored locally and I’m currently sat at 40 gig. All music photos etc and stored on the device.

Not everyone has a tonne of music and 300,000 photos. In fact most people don’t.

Its a common misconception on this forum.

Reactions: max2 and Geert76

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I removed all my music off my phone back in 2017 and only use Amazon Music now. When I can stream the same content, it felt like a waste of storage. All my photos and videos go onto the cloud and my phone storage is mostly apps now. I have a 128GB but my previous two devices were 64GB and it was absolutely fine.

Reactions: Aceroller and max2

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
If I was storing everything on my phone I would need 512gb, with iCloud I can use 64gb and have 40gb free.

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Why not have the best of both worlds ?

Some backup local movies and tv shows on your phone just incase if you don't have wifi or 4g lte/5g. On a Plane, train, or cruise. I know no one is really on a cruise right now unless they bought the whole cruise ship just for their family.

Plus more of that on your pc at home being able to access it remotely somehow. That or in the cloud. I am almost 100% sure it is legal to store your own personal blu ray or dvd movie rips and tv shows. Unless you share them with other people by giving them access to your cloud service or account I know the easier way give them a shared link or whatever.

The only part I am not sure about is the streaming part. It may only be ok to store them for backup.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yep I am pretty much in the same setup here, except actually upgrading the device storage. I hardly ever find myself in a situation where I need to consume media without the internet. The only time this is applicable to me is on the flights. Most of my trips are always to the countries where either roaming is cheap or I don’t need to pay extra to have access to my U.K. data limit. Albeit this may change now that we’re in the post Brexit phase. And maybe I may need more storage on my next device.

I've been to provinces in the Philippines to visit family where cellular data is practically non-existent. Plus the flight from US to PH is usually 12+ hours.

I've also done a hospital stint a couple times (once to take care of my dad and another time for my own surgery). The cellular signal was ****** and the hospital wifi was even ******** so having preloaded media was nice.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Plus more of that on your pc at home being able to access it remotely somehow. That or in the cloud. I am almost 100% sure it is legal to store your own personal blu ray or dvd movie rips and tv shows.

Caveat there, in order to backup Blu rays and DVDs, you have to break DRM and that's not allowed by the DMCA (if in US). There are a few exceptions (e.g. for reviews or parody, I think) but personal backup is not one of them. Of course, I don't think the MPAA will actually bother litigating if it's just for personal use and I think DRM is stupid anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirasaki and max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Caveat there, in order to backup Blu rays and DVDs, you have to break DRM and that's not allowed by the DMCA. There are a few exceptions (e.g. for reviews or parody, I think) but personal backup is not one of them. Of course, I don't think the MPAA will actually bother litigating if it's just for personal use and I think the DMCA is stupid anyway.

I am not a lawyer so it is just an opinion based on what I read about it a little. Np though.

Your right though.

ElioLugaru

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2019
North Carolina
I've only used 27.9GB of 64GB on my iPhone 8 Plus.
So, i'm good with 64gb for now. Course, it helps i don't play that many mobile games.

Besides, i backup my photos on OneDrive every now & then and i use Spotify for my music.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
64gb is good enough for me and my 11pm. I have 200gb on iCloud shared with the wife and we have good internet/phone service so we don’t really worry about that.
Its great now that phone companies went back to unlimited data because several years ago, we were struggling with trying to juggle the different limited (20,30, 50gb) plans that were offered.
Lots of streaming music/media/movies throughout the month.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
64GB is more than enough for me. I have that storage on my 12, SE and iPad Air and have no storage issues whatsoever. The only time I load up my devices with local music/movies/shows is when I'm traveling, which I haven't done in quite some time. Hopefully Apple keep the 64GB with both their iPad/iPhone.

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
I have an iPhone 11 Pro 256GB. I have over 170 games and use 54GB. I hate Offload Apps, so I don't use it. I also hate managing my storage. So 64GB isn't enough for me.
Answer on the poll and reply your storage usage.
Everyone is different in what they do with their phones, so I guess that's where the answer is. But operating systems aren't getting smaller, the classic "system" & "other" categories. Updates and apps are all containing high ends assets that take up space. As years pass I think 64GB will be a "remember when" situation. But to answer the post, 64GB would work for me right now as I'm currently using 32GB out of 128GB.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I’ve recently returned to the the trusty iPhone after spending many a year on Android. You forget this problem when you have expandable storage and 100 plus internal storage as standard so was apprehensive when I transferred everything over.

To my surprise I only filled half my storage. I’ve now deleted all my photos after storing them on the cloud and will make a conscious effort to delete unwanted images and videos off my phone when I know I have them backed up. Quite simply I think 64gb is enough and I’m camera happy, you’ve just got to let the cloud be your new best friend :)

I stumbled across an app called get sorted. Give it a go! It’s helped me trim down pictures so easily

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
I think 64GB isn't enough for me, but 128GB is fine. Had I realised that, I wouldn't have bought the standard 11 in 2019 with 256GB. I've only used 82GB, so I'm not even half way there. I think I may stick to 128GB for my next upgrade, which probably won't be until 2023/4 if I can help it.

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
Submitting the entire digital life to the cloud is begging for your digital life to be disconnected at any time with service provider’s own discretion. That’s how I see these streaming services.
That's the way I see it. I want to have 24/7 access to all my stuff (mostly music) and not have to rely on whether or not I have service.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
This year I choosed 256 gb. A lot of music and some books on pdf that I want always with me for work. And I want to put a lot of old pictures from previous iPhone.

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
I've had my XR with 64gb storage for almost 4 years and it's still manageable. Of course I can easily fill up the storage if I want to, but my phone will be full of clutter and apps I don't even use.

Right now (as of typing this) I've only used up around 27gb out of the 64gb of storage. Most of what I do on my phone is in the cloud anyway, and I don't play games on it so it's not bad considering I had this phone for a long time.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
128GB is fine for me for now but when I get a new phone whereas the pictures can be higher quality as well as the video, I'm not sure. Probably still would be fine though. A lot of the apps I have are games I don't really play so it should be able to work. Who knows though by the time I get a new phone they may be doing 256gb standard.

Reactions: Funny Apple Man
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.