Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is 64GB enough for your iPhone?

• I have 64GB, and it's plenty for me!

Votes: 168 49.7%
  • I have 64GB, and it's not enough.

Votes: 33 9.8%
  • Can't have fewer than 128GB!

Votes: 122 36.1%
  • Even 32GB is enough for me.

Votes: 15 4.4%

• Total voters

Flappy Dunk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2020
Why? I have more than enough free space and my iPhone is still as zippy as on day 1.

Honestly your answers are pretty funny, you started the thread and then you are just giving this kind of random advice to everyone. What is the point?
Add 1/4 of your photos to the phone and buy the 256GB.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
36adf04edb7de18d3c32239bd6292656.jpg

Quite happy with 64Gb and I’m not the only one.

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
Yes.

Personally, I found that most of my storage was being used up by "digital hoarding". Over the years, I had amassed a ton of photos, texts, apps, etc. that I didn't need or care about, but subconsciously thought I did. So, when I got my 11 Pro I decided to leave my SE as storage and really let my active yes decide what I should have on the new phone.

I haven't thought of a single photo I wish I had on my phone, or anything else that I miss that didn't just get re-downloaded as a natural result of active use.

However, I understand this is a personal thing that results from my desire of being totally liberated from the past. Obviously some people will have family photos and such that they wish to keep. I would say, try and really consider the photos that you want and store them in a special "Keep" folder. After a few months of this, delete everything else and you will see that you really don't need that much storage on your phone.

An alternative is to back up all the stuff you would've deleted in the previous step - I really see no reason to pay for a large amount of storage on a phone.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
iCloud is a pain waiting for photos to focus, and doesn't work if you have no data reception, would of been useless to me at my sons wedding in January when i needed to access some photos of him when he was young.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I’ve read through this thread and it amuses me how many people with higher storage tier devices are adamant that their needs represent everybody.

Many people who want/need lots of storage seem to get pissed because they want the base option to be higher than 64. They feel cheated that they need to pay extra to get the amount of memory they desire. They think if Apple eliminated the 64 option, they would get more for free. They either don't care or don't believe that 64 is fine for many people out there. All they care about is getting more for less and can't see past their own selfish desires.

That's my opinion after reading this and many, many other similar threads. There should be a new one starting this fall when the new phones are released. It seems to be a tradition around here.

For the record, I myself have a 256GB with 200GB of iCloud storage and over 35,000 pictures. So I would certainly benefit if they did decide to up the base memory next time. But I also don't mind paying for more since I need more.

Reactions: akash.nu

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Many people who want/need lots of storage seem to get pissed because they want the base option to be higher than 64. They feel cheated that they need to pay extra to get the amount of memory they desire. They think if Apple eliminated the 64 option, they would get more for free. They either don't care or don't believe that 64 is fine for many people out there. All they care about is getting more for less and can't see past their own selfish desires.
No skin in this game but imo, at $1K starting for the iPhone Pros, Apple could at least make that 128GB base. It's a premium device and storage should match.

Keep 64GB base for the non-Pros. Those have a relatively small $50 upcharge for upgrading from 64GB to 128GB anyway.

Reactions: Hal~9000

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

That's my opinion after reading this and many, many other similar threads. There should be a new one starting this fall when the new phones are released. It seems to be a tradition around here.

For the record, I myself have a 256GB with 200GB of iCloud storage and over 35,000 pictures. So I would certainly benefit if they did decide to up the base memory next time. But I also don't mind paying for more since I need more.

They wouldn’t be wrong in thinking Apple charge extortionate amounts for small bumps in storage tiers. The 64GB is fine for me but maybe it is about time Apple caught up and offered a larger base storage tier? When you consider the system takes nearly 9GB and the caches and logs a further 5GB.
cc4fb63062c4c929f167ef21f1d03ed6.jpg

Reactions: max2

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
No skin in this game but imo, at $1K starting for the iPhone Pros, Apple could at least make that 128GB base. It's a premium device and storage should match.

They wouldn’t be wrong in thinking Apple charge extortionate amounts for small bumps in storage tiers. The 64GB is fine for me but maybe it is about time Apple caught up and offered a larger base storage tier? When you consider the system takes nearly 9GB and the caches and logs a further 5GB.

I'm not against them upping the storage. But some approach the topic as if they're owed something. For me, if I know what I'm getting ahead of time and still choose to purchase it (that is in fact the case here), I see no point in being overly negative about it (my girlfriend would tell me to return it or quit complaining). I make my purchase and move on. I do have other choices if deal isn't worth it. I'd love to see 256GB be the base option this year (or more realistically, come down in price). I suspect that won't be the case. Which means I'll pay a little extra. I'd rather not, but I will. But I won't come on here and hurl insults at Apple when I know what I'm getting upfront, buy it anyway and still have two weeks to change my mind afterwards.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
For majority of people, 64GB is probably enough. Heck, I met a guy with an old 16GB iPhone, and he said it's enough for him as he only uses whatsapp and instagram on it.

Personally, 128GB has become the sweet spot for me. 32GB is definitely not enough as I have had 32GB phones before and always had that anxiety on running out of storage. My Android phone is 128GB, and it's a comfortable size even with multiple games, photos, and videos on it.

But of course, Apple skipped 128GB for the iPhone 11 Pros, only giving you 64GB or 256GB as the options. They just knew what you need, and force you to spend more... :D

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm not against them upping the storage. But some approach the topic as if they're owed something. For me, if I know what I'm getting ahead of time and still choose to purchase it (that is in fact the case here), I see no point in being overly negative about it (my girlfriend would tell me to return it or quit complaining). I make my purchase and move on. I do have other choices if deal isn't worth it. I'd love to see 256GB be the base option this year (or more realistically, come down in price). I suspect that won't be the case. Which means I'll pay a little extra. I'd rather not, but I will. But I won't come on here and hurl insults at Apple when I know what I'm getting upfront, buy it anyway and still have two weeks to change my mind afterwards.

Of course it’s a choice and it’s on us. Apple are quite mean with their storage tiers though and these phones aren’t cheap. If I absolutely needed an iPhone with more storage then I’d buy an older model like I have done in the past. I wouldn’t be paying a little extra and stretching a budget I’m already in disagreement about. I’d rather Apple took the hit, not me.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
If buying outright I probably would of got 64gb and suffered with iCloud, i got a good deal on contract so pretty much paying same for my 256gb 11 pro any way.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I have over 120 games

And you are totally pwned. Your current position, your social media posts, your purchasing habits, your reaction times, your political affiliation, your peccadilloes, your second wife, your second husband - they are now totally exposed. The Russians, Mr. Kim, and Angela Merkel all have the goods on you!

• Haha
Reactions: _karrol
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.