Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is 64GB enough for your iPhone?

• I have 64GB, and it's plenty for me!

Votes: 168 49.7%
  • I have 64GB, and it's not enough.

Votes: 33 9.8%
  • Can't have fewer than 128GB!

Votes: 122 36.1%
  • Even 32GB is enough for me.

Votes: 15 4.4%

• Total voters

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
Add 1/4 of your photos to the phone and buy the 256GB.

Remove 1/4 of your games and buy the 64GB.
[automerge]1582623463[/automerge]
21gb won't last long
[automerge]1582413881[/automerge]

or you could pay $180 here a year for 2tb iCloud ;)

Well, referring to my case, I would need a 512GB iPhone. I already wrote it in this thread before, but if I compare 10 euros per month for 2TB iCloud to paying the premium for the 512GB storage option, I would have to stick to one iPhone for over three years for the storage bump to be more cost effective than iCloud. And this will not happen as I upgrade after about 27 months on average (with the X I currently have it will be a bit longer).

Last edited:
Reactions: MEJHarrison

Zagor13

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
Ok ? The best camera is the one that you have on you. Are you suggesting to have everybody to spend hundreds on a DSLR? That’s a WASTE of money. I don’t think you understand for most people smartphones are fine. The majority of people just use their phones because it’s easy and doesn’t require the spend money on yet another device. Nobody has ever said a smartphone is “better” then a Real camera. It’s just that for a lot of people it’s a waste of money. I am not going to spend $1,000 on an iPhone 11 Pro then $200 or something for a point and shoot when my iPhone 11 Pro does a good enough job already for me. Also for a lot of people they just want to post on Fab, Instagram or etc and all the compression that happens anyways spending $200 for a “real” camera is a waste of money.

* the cameras are the iPhone are real cameras ... what are they ? Fake ones?
you obviously didn't read my reply; phone is good as it is in your pocket but you will miss many many opportunities for memory if just depend aunthood phone as many people do now; you simply cannot take them with phone. I had 11 pro and its only good as any phones at close up shots thats it; try shooting your kids playing soccer, swimming, playing basketball, weddings, you name it...phones are just good for closer shots but those shots are in general not great shots anyway, simply moment shots. Good luck

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
My iPhone 7 was the jet black one so I had 128gb. After 2.5 years with it I had used... 65gb

So when we got XS Max’s due to being in Canada and these things costing roughly seven mortgages we went with the 64 option. Worked fine so far. I do have to do some minor memory management once in a while, but overall I don’t notice it

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
you obviously didn't read my reply; phone is good as it is in your pocket but you will miss many many opportunities for memory if just depend aunthood phone as many people do now; you simply cannot take them with phone. I had 11 pro and its only good as any phones at close up shots thats it; try shooting your kids playing soccer, swimming, playing basketball, weddings, you name it...phones are just good for closer shots but those shots are in general not great shots anyway, simply moment shots. Good luck

You obviously can’t read and want to say what you want. Most people don’t care.... the camera is what is available and that’s your phone. DSLR is for enthusiasts. People who want to spend money on one for a job or a hobby. I have no interest spending $500 on a camera when I can use it on more important things.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
It's more than enough for me combined with iCloud. I do own all my playlists via Apple Music offline and I don't have any issue at all.

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
I always went to larger than default on every iPhone I ever bought. Until now. I just switched from a 128GB iPhone 11 to a 64GB iPhone 11 Pro as I really prefer the size and screen and got it for a great price. The downside was the storage. But after using my 11 for 3 months, i was only using about 30GB of space. I don't play many games. Earlier in the year I switched over to the 2TB iCloud storage and shared across the whole family as it was more cost effective to do so. I have unlimited data too so have all photos and videos upload immediately. Plus with HEIF/HEIC in use they take up less room anyway.

Currently at about 25GB in usage. If I wanted to I could download some films to watch on Plex or install some games.

Flappy Dunk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2020
It’s not enough for me. I have 123GB available on my 256GB 11 pro max. I also have a 2TB iCloud storage plan but even with that I’m still using more than 64GB.
What fills your phone storage? Huge collection of apps, games, or downloaded music, movies, or podcasts, or are your photos stored on your phone?

Chuckles89

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2021
I’ve recently returned to the the trusty iPhone after spending many a year on Android. You forget this problem when you have expandable storage and 100 plus internal storage as standard so was apprehensive when I transferred everything over.

To my surprise I only filled half my storage. I’ve now deleted all my photos after storing them on the cloud and will make a conscious effort to delete unwanted images and videos off my phone when I know I have them backed up. Quite simply I think 64gb is enough and I’m camera happy, you’ve just got to let the cloud be your new best friend :)

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Using almost 80gb so no. I will likely need to go up to 256 with my next phone at the rate my storage increases year by year.

Irishappleuser

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2019
Well I’ve got a 64BG iphone 11 and honestly Ive always worked on the belief that you only buy the bag you need to carry the stuff you need. I mean I wouldn’t buy a 256GB bag when I’ve only got 50BG of **** to fill the bag with.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I always felt Apple was going to force everyone into the cloud... I currently have the 12 Pro 256 and am very happy with being able to avoid the cloud.

I like to have my 3,000 song library and a dozen or so movies available without streaming anything.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
At this point I literally need a 1TB iPhone to store all of my music, photo and video, alongside app data and games.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I always felt Apple was going to force everyone into the cloud... I currently have the 12 Pro 256 and am very happy with being able to avoid the cloud.

I like to have my 3,000 song library and a dozen or so movies available without streaming anything.
Submitting the entire digital life to the cloud is begging for your digital life to be disconnected at any time with service provider’s own discretion. That’s how I see these streaming services.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
At this point I literally need a 1TB iPhone to store all of my music, photo and video, alongside app data and games.
If we're also considering movies and TV series as part of video, even a 1TB iPhone isn't gonna cover everything. Heck, I think 1TB might not even be enough for my entire Comixology library (in HD quality).

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

High Desert

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2015
Powell Butte, Or.
I have 64 gb in my mini 12 and have about 34 gb left. I downsized from a 128 gb 7. I don't do gaming, and backup photos to a HDD, and have a ton of music stored. However, I do think apple should start with 128 as a baseline for storage as the cost is minimal to them but not worth the upgrade cost to a consumer who may not need the additional storage. If you are a big time gaming person, then you can (probably) never have enough storage.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If we're also considering movies and TV series as part of video, even a 1TB iPhone isn't gonna cover everything. Heck, I think 1TB might not even be enough for my entire Comixology library (in HD quality).

This is why cloud based solutions are the best as long as you have good internet connection.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This is why cloud based solutions are the best as long as you have good internet connection.

The internet connection is exactly the issue.

Heck, Comixology is technically cloud based. The comics are stored on Amazon's cloud. You don't have to pay extra for Amazon to store them. However, you do need to download first in order to read and for that it's gonna need to use internal storage.

No need to pay separately just for cloud storage for music and videos either. The service provider handles storage for those and it's baked into your subscription fee/purchase price.

I'm not anti-cloud. I use cloud storage for backup and sync. I have 200GB iCloud and 2TB Dropbox family plans. I also have a 20TB Synology NAS for local media storage. However, I still pay for upgraded storage on my iPhones and iPads depending on what data I wish to be able to access regardless of internet connectivity. Even at home, having media stored locally is good for when the internet goes down.

Last edited:

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
I think that it depends on how much music you have, I only use a third of the 64GB. I also try to keep devices lean so they don’t slow down.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
for some reason my phone isn’t showing the 800 videos and 2,800 pictures in the storage screen. I have 53GB of “photos” in iCloud.

Attachments

• 0613F1C1-E5F6-4F16-8C43-12D5150B319D.png
    0613F1C1-E5F6-4F16-8C43-12D5150B319D.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 66
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.