Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is 64GB enough for your iPhone?

• I have 64GB, and it's plenty for me!

Votes: 168 49.7%
  • I have 64GB, and it's not enough.

Votes: 33 9.8%
  • Can't have fewer than 128GB!

Votes: 122 36.1%
  • Even 32GB is enough for me.

Votes: 15 4.4%

• Total voters

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I don't know what the big deal about 64GB is as its PLENTY for my needs.

That's the great thing about different capacity models being offered: everyone can get something that's at least close to what works for them. It's great that 64GB is plenty for your needs. It's far too anemic for mine (see my screenshot above where I'm using ~390GB of my 512GB). So, you get smaller storage model, and I get the bigger storage model. Everyone wins. :)

A phone is a phone. Stop trying to make it replace a real camera, camcorder, and digital voice recorder.

I take it then that for your phone you're using a basic flip phone? Ah, no. You already mentioned you use your phone to take some photos and video and run some apps.

Today, a 'phone' is not just a phone. Please do keep in mind, the term 'phone' when applied to modern smart phones is a euphemism at best, and a complete misnomer at worst. It's a broadly capable, highly portable super-computer in your pocket. Tremendous amounts of mind-boggling engineering have gone into their design and some of the best bleeding edge technology we have has been imagined and realized to allow them to do what they can do. The degree to which each of us take advantage of those capabilities differs greatly, obviously, but it's willfully obstructive, almost luddite, to command people stop using their devices for what they're meticulously and amazingly designed for.

I don’t carry them around everywhere just when I need them.

That's a modality that clearly works for you, which is fine. For me, and I imagine many, many others, I never know when I can take advantage of having various bits of equipment with me, and there have been countless times that I've benefited greatly by having a piece of wonder-tech with me that can do so much without having to depend on lugging around an array of specialized pieces of gear 24 hours a day. For me, having the extra storage capacity means I'm never wanting for a device to do what I want, when I want it, no matter where I am, how surprised I am by a circumstance, or how unanticipated those needs might've been.

Last edited:

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I don’t carry them around everywhere just when I need them.

As I said who wants to carry them period ? The average joe wants a camera to take selfies or stuff around them. It does the job fine. And tbh is pretty much equal enough with point and shoots why spend the money on them. Why should people spend money on fancy cameras when they have one in their pocket. The best camera is the one you have at the moment and that’s going to be your phone unless you are carrying a fancy camera.

Reactions: Remington Steel

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
As I said who wants to carry them period ? The average joe wants a camera to take selfies or stuff around them. It does the job fine. And tbh is pretty much equal enough with point and shoots why spend the money on them. Why should people spend money on fancy cameras when they have one in their pocket. The best camera is the one you have at the moment and that’s going to be your phone unless you are carrying a fancy camera.

Oh dear. You are not a hobbyist photographer like me? The advantage of a phone is it being to instantly send to the internet or text photos and video. Find me a pro photographer that uses a phone. Not many. If phones were 100% better than Canon among other companies would go out of business but last I checked Best Buy still plenty of still cameras and camcorders.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Oh dear. You are not a hobbyist photographer like me? The advantage of a phone is it being to instantly send to the internet or text photos and video. Find me a pro photographer that uses a phone. Not many. If phones were 100% better than Canon among other companies would go out of business but last I checked Best Buy still plenty of still cameras and camcorders.

Ok let me find you a few pro photographers then.

Reactions: Tsepz

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t have much apps, it’s mostly pictures and videos that take up space.
64gb is fine for me since I have the 2TB ICloud storage.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Oh dear! How many people are professional photographers? 1 billion ? /s . Most of us aren’t. Take out the ones who are doing it as a hobby and your iPhone or Android device is fine for people who don’t want to carry yet another device.

Saskat

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2017
It’s so very easy to eat up storage these days. 64GB or even 128GB wouldn’t be enough for me.

Reactions: Tsepz

Zagor13

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
Phones are only ok for close up pics, meaning you are restricted for shots especially when taking pictures of sports events, your kids playing soccer or basketball, skiing, etc etc..you need that larger sensor for various factors and occasional zoom thus phones are good, very god for that 50-80% of time (sure you can survive even with those but won't have many other pictures as scenes will be far and minuscule without detail) but ideally you should have a real camera with good sensor and some zoom. The other day my son had a play (this goes for graduation too) in school and I was about 50 meters from the stage and it was dark, I got perfect pictures with my DSLR while phone would never be able to get anything he would look like a speck, grainy dark and unrecognizable. Thus I love the convenience of phones but thats how we get overconfident thats all we need and miss many opportunities for pictures that we need for memory. Better to have a decent camera either dslr or some pocketable one with zoom (may cost you money but hey you spend money on phones and camera can last many years so...just my opinion

Reactions: jwolf6589

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Phones are only ok for close up pics, meaning you are restricted for shots especially when taking pictures of sports events, your kids playing soccer or basketball, skiing, etc etc..you need that larger sensor for various factors and occasional zoom thus phones are good, very god for that 50-80% of time (sure you can survive even with those but won't have many other pictures as scenes will be far and minuscule without detail) but ideally you should have a real camera with good sensor and some zoom. The other day my son had a play (this goes for graduation too) in school and I was about 50 meters from the stage and it was dark, I got perfect pictures with my DSLR while phone would never be able to get anything he would look like a speck, grainy dark and unrecognizable. Thus I love the convenience of phones but thats how we get overconfident thats all we need and miss many opportunities for pictures that we need for memory. Better to have a decent camera either dslr or some pocketable one with zoom (may cost you money but hey you spend money on phones and camera can last many years so...just my opinion

Ok ? The best camera is the one that you have on you. Are you suggesting to have everybody to spend hundreds on a DSLR? That’s a WASTE of money. I don’t think you understand for most people smartphones are fine. The majority of people just use their phones because it’s easy and doesn’t require the spend money on yet another device. Nobody has ever said a smartphone is “better” then a Real camera. It’s just that for a lot of people it’s a waste of money. I am not going to spend $1,000 on an iPhone 11 Pro then $200 or something for a point and shoot when my iPhone 11 Pro does a good enough job already for me. Also for a lot of people they just want to post on Fab, Instagram or etc and all the compression that happens anyways spending $200 for a “real” camera is a waste of money.

* the cameras are the iPhone are real cameras ... what are they ? Fake ones?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
My phone is used heavily every single day, so it's worth it. It's at the limit I am prepared to pay though.

The only reason why I got the 512GB iPad Pro 11 was because price ($730) and the fact I would keep it and I knew I would use it. I think it’s insane to charge an $300 markup. If it was $200 like in the past with 2 storage options up perhaps I would of thought of it only because the price per GB is vastly cheaper. As I said previously 64GB is fine for me but that’s mostly because I have “unlimited data” and sprint never slows me down. I use anywhere between 100-150gb per month streaming everything.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

I agree. Usually when I go on vacation I take my Canon with me for better and more clearer photos.

Reactions: Zagor13

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
I have a 64GBs iPhone and it suits me very well... because I also have 2TB iCloud and all my 75k pictures and videos are there. In order to have everything what I want stored on my iPhone, I'd need a 512GB model. Taking into account that I usually stick to one iPhone for between 2 and 3 years, this €10 each month for iCloud actually pays off, considering the price difference between 64 and 512. An added benefit is also that I do not have to go through the struggle of uploading pictures after every trip or an important event to my Mac - they are just there. Also entire icloud drive is amazing. And downloading anything from iCloud to my iPhone is not really an issue when I have lots of data bundled with my mobile plan.

I am satsified with this solution and not planning to change to anything. My launch day 64GB X still has 17GB free space and I cannot imagine it running out of space before I upgrade this autumn.

Flappy Dunk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2020
I have a 64GBs iPhone and it suits me very well... because I also have 2TB iCloud and all my 75k pictures and videos are there. In order to have everything what I want stored on my iPhone, I'd need a 512GB model. Taking into account that I usually stick to one iPhone for between 2 and 3 years, this €10 each month for iCloud actually pays off, considering the price difference between 64 and 512. An added benefit is also that I do not have to go through the struggle of uploading pictures after every trip or an important event to my Mac - they are just there. Also entire icloud drive is amazing. And downloading anything from iCloud to my iPhone is not really an issue when I have lots of data bundled with my mobile plan.

I am satsified with this solution and not planning to change to anything. My launch day 64GB X still has 17GB free space and I cannot imagine it running out of space before I upgrade this autumn.
Get a 256GB even if you have to wait. Use iCloud with it as well.

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
Get a 256GB even if you have to wait. Use iCloud with it as well.
Why? I have more than enough free space and my iPhone is still as zippy as on day 1.

Honestly your answers are pretty funny, you started the thread and then you are just giving this kind of random advice to everyone. What is the point?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Why? I have more than enough free space and my iPhone is still as zippy as on day 1.

Honestly your answers are pretty funny, you started the thread and then you are just giving this kind of random advice to everyone. What is the point?
I’ve read through this thread and it amuses me how many people with higher storage tier devices are adamant that their needs represent everybody. Apple charges a silly premium for extra storage and many don’t need it anyway.

About 5 years ago we had threads with people bickering over storage and suggesting ‘their iPhone was better because it was a 32GB etc etc’. If one storage option suited everybody then there would only be one option available.

Reactions: Seanm87 and _karrol

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
I’ve read through this thread and it amuses me how many people with higher storage tier devices are adamant that their needs represent everybody. Apple charges a silly premium for extra storage and many don’t need it anyway.

About 5 years ago we had threads with people bickering over storage and suggesting ‘their iPhone was better because it was a 32GB etc etc’. If one storage option suited everybody then there would only be one option available.

Absolutely true! Especially in the times where also iCloud is a viable option. I was really surprised after I checked that I'd have to stick to one iPhone for well over three years to justify the physical storage upgrade over more iCloud space (costwise).

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014

You see it everywhere on this forum. Any topic where someone is asking for advice about buying a new product be it an iPhone, MacBook, iPad etc you always get the same "don't get the 64 gig make sure you get the 128/256" when they usually have no clue what this person has stored on their device, so how can they give this advice with no context.

Reactions: _karrol
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.