Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
The problem is many users do not know how 8Gb reacts. They might know now, based on the software they are using now, but that same software may require higher RAM in a very short space of time and indeed OS requirements may increase, and Apple should have a duty of care to customers, especially by not making false statements inferring 8Gb is equivalent to 16Gb on PC which is not borne out by independent tests.

So those suggesting it is enough for their light needs now, should really take a five year view as to whether that 8Gb will even drive existing software, and whether swapping reduces their SSD longevity.

Far better for Apple to bite the bullet and make the baseline 16Gb which costs them next to nothing, and may even be zero cost, as they will have a larger production run of 16Gb and no need to keep the 8Gb set up.

With Apple continuing to develop aiming at games market, 8GB will not be enough and I can foresee a large class action forthcoming at some time in the near future, if those who bought 8Gb machines, find they do not even operate software upgrades, let alone gaming.

Independent tests show that the 8Gb base shows a significant performance decrease even with increased swapping if put under load, and as software develops, the RAM demand will grow.

Having 16Gb base won't adversely affect anyone who would otherwise have thought they could survive on 8Gb. whereas sticking to 8Gb will inevitably mean more SSD swapping and the distinct prospect of premature obsolescence as software enhancements take place or where customers decide to embrace games, or heavier workloads.
The reason is clear, they need to have a low price entry and thus, a 8 GB model is on offer. It's the only way to compete with other computers. When I buy a computer I increase the memory and SSD size, but there are many that won't need that now. They may need it in the future, but you can't foresee that now and the same applies to the SSD size. You can always argue that something is future proof, but some users just want it cheap now and may only need it for 2 to 3 years.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
In the end, I'm not sure why people are concerned since they can buy a 16GB version already.

But where this gets murky is when you start configuring BTO at Apple's MSRP and then comparing it to different OEM configurations available at discount from resellers. For example, if you want to spec a 16/512 MacBook Pro M3 (vanilla) because it comes in the color you want and meets your needs, you end up paying the exact same price as a discounted 18/512 M3 Pro that does not come in the color you want.

There are other examples but hopefully the point is clear. Purchasing a new Mac is now fraught with this kind of friction. Now some will claim it's not Apple's problem, but it is, because it's turning people off and stopping them from buying.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
16GB should be the minimum in 2024. Even if 8GB seems to be adequate for you (now), what about the family member you may give your Mac to? They might need 16GB. You might even need it at a later date.
You buy a Mac for what you need. If you need to keep it 10 years because you want to give it to a family member, then buy it with 16 GB. If you only need 8 GB and you upgrade every 3 years, then get 8 GB.

But where this gets murky is when you start configuring BTO at Apple's MSRP and then comparing it to different OEM configurations available at discount from resellers. For example, if you want to spec a 16/512 MacBook Pro M3 (vanilla) because it comes in the color you want and meets your needs, you end up paying the exact same price as a discounted 18/512 M3 Pro that does not come in the color you want.

There are other examples but hopefully the point is clear. Purchasing a new Mac is now fraught with this kind of friction. Now some will claim it's not Apple's problem, but it is, because it's turning people off and stopping them from buying.
Actually, I think this is intentional, to encourage the upsell. This is precisely why a 32 GB Mac mini Pro is priced similarly to the entry level Mac Studio.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Actually, I think this is intentional, to encourage the upsell.

Probably, except in my case it encourages nosell because I literally cannot buy the Mac I want. If the vanilla M3 had 16GB I would have bought it ages ago. If I buy it now with 16GB I get ripped off just for having the temerity to choose a decent color. Laugh or cry, agree or disagree, but this is the position Apple puts some buyers in with their dumbass product strategies. And it's a reason why many are giving them the middle finger and taking their business elsewhere.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
True up to a point. But at some stage they start to lose disillusioned fans and lifetime customers who jump ship. It’s happening.

I wish more of those people would just quit Apple altogether.

Instead they stay with Apple and MacRumors for years, almost like they're in a dysfunctional relationship.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Probably, except in my case it encourages nosell because I literally cannot buy the Mac I want. If the vanilla M3 had 16GB I would have bought it ages ago. If I buy it now with 16GB I get ripped off just for having the temerity to choose a decent color. Laugh or cry, agree or disagree, but this is the position Apple puts some buyers in with their dumbass product strategies. And it's a reason why many are giving them the middle finger and taking their business elsewhere.
For you maybe, but for thousands of other people, it works just fine. Apple's insane revenue and high margins are a testament to that.

Do I like it? Not really, but nonetheless that is likely the reasoning behind it. It is intentional.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I wish more of those people would just quit Apple altogether.

Instead they stay with Apple and MacRumors for years, almost like they're in a dysfunctional relationship.

If you want to arbitrate who does and does not frequent MacRumors then maybe you should buy it. If a movie critic pans a film that you like, do you send them a message telling them not to watch it and stop complaining?

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
because it's turning people off and stopping them from buying
I am guessing that you have never been in an Apple Store on a Saturday. Lots of people walking out with new MacBooks, Pro and Air. Or seen the dozens of pallets leaving the Apple warehouse each day in Lebanon TN being loaded onto UPS and FedEx trucks. If people weren't buying, Apple would stop making. But that does not seem to be the case.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I'm amazed Apple have gotten away with it for this long.

More than gotten away with it ... they have people DEFENDING it!

It's like the inmates arguing to remain in captivity ... "we like it in here!" .. "the bars give it a homey touch" ... "the awful and inadequate food is actually great and more than enough!" ... "the jail admins know what's best for us"

• Haha
Reactions: freedomlinux

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
8gb wasn’t enough in 2014!
Dell, probably one of the biggest suppliers of Windows machines, is still selling servers, laptops, and desktops with 8GB of memory. And it is 10 years beyond your timeline. If 8GB was not enough, it would not be selling.

And Dell's memory upgrades for Dell laptops are more costly than Apple.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 4.13.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 4.13.55 PM.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 18

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
8GB can work (my cafe/weekend machine is a M1 w/ 8MB and can do decent dev work on it)... but one really just should grit their teeth and go for the 16GB config (the reason I'm replacing the M1 MBP with the M3).

Having said that you also have to increase to 512GB disk... IMO staying with 256GB is worse than sticking with 256GB... so that makes the min config 16/512... which bumps up to > +400... at which point I'm looking at refurbished... where BTW I once saw a 16/256 MBA M2... thought that must have been returned because the original buyer realize they must have been drunk/stoned when ordering that config and returned it next day.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Here's the neat thing tho; if that's all you do with your laptop, you are paying way to much if you go for a MacBook. The argument that it is enough for "the basic tasks" is just absurd. You don't buy a $1000 laptop for "basic task" and then go "ooh, I should just pay more" when you want to get some slightly more complex work done.

Come on... stop defending this. We all know that the only reason these SKUs exist is to market the low price for an SKU nobody should want in the first place.
Because a Mac integrates with all my other devices, syncs notes, passwords and has a free word/excel software I can use.

I’m a basic user and was getting by with a Mac from 2011! I just bought the base spec Air. My 2017 Lenovo I got cheaply on marketplace for windows apps could do it but it has zero integration with my other tech.

I’ll be waiting for everyone to complain when Apple includes 16GB but ups the entry price by $100. Which effectively raises the barrier for people buying their first Mac.

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
8 GB of RAM is still adequate for a base machine.

Base configurations should perform well for domestic and casual use cases.

Current Apple Silicon Macs with 8 GB of RAM are lightning fast in those scenarios and they probably already exceed the expectations of most customers

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
8GB can work (my cafe/weekend machine is a M1 w/ 8MB and can do decent dev work on it)... but one really just should grit their teeth and go for the 16GB config (the reason I'm replacing the M1 MBP with the M3).

Having said that you also have to increase to 512GB disk... IMO staying with 256GB is worse than sticking with 256GB... so that makes the min config 16/512... which bumps up to > +400... at which point I'm looking at refurbished... where BTW I once saw a 16/256 MBA M2... thought that must have been returned because the original buyer realize they must have been drunk/stoned when ordering that config and returned it next day.
Three members of my four-person family have Macs with 256 GB storage. None of those three are even close to maxing that 256 GB out. The one that uses the most still has 127 GB free. Two have 8 GB memory and one has 12 GB memory, which are again quite sufficient for their needs.

For myself, I have a 16 GB Mac mini with 4 TB storage. Even 512 GB storage would have been totally inadequate for my needs, but luckily I can use external SSDs since it's a desktop. (I have 1 TB internal, and 2 TB + 1 TB external.)

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
It certainly is for a lot of people who don't only surf the web.

If you're a typical office worker you'll probably use applications like:

• Safari (or similar)
  • Microsoft Office (or similar)
  • Teams / Zoom (or similar)
  • iCloud Drive / OneDrive / Google Drive
  • Preview
  • Mail + Calendar (private use)
  • Apple Music / Spotify
  • Photos (private use)
Unless your Excel-spreadsheets are huge and complex or dealing with very complex PDFs, 8Gb will be fine.
This is basically my user profile and is my experience as well with the base M2 MBA. My two kids just finished college (Bachelors in Business, Masters in Public Health). Zero problems at University with their base configuration MBAs.

This stuff about only surfing the web is a bunch of malarky.😆

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
^^I would add that, if I had to place a bet on the most popular laptop on US college campuses, my money would be on the base configuration MBA. And, college students do a lot of work on their laptops......at least my kids did!

DJC631

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Personally, my M1 Air never gets past maybe 7 GB with *all* my apps going, so I could say it's ok. But without a way to upgrade later, it's absolutely too little for longevity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.