Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rookbird¥

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2021
The debate shouldn’t be if 8GB enough. The debate should be if Apple should even consider selling computers with only 8GB of memory when a lot of cheap Window machines come with 16GB.

The_Cynic

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2022
However
I do remember running Logic Pro on my 8gb M1 Mac mini.
with komplete Kontrol, kontackt, arturia and uhe plugins.
and I could have several instances of them.

i did run into swap issues when I had lots of tabs open

youtube was the biggest ram hog. i could fit a full orchestra into one YouTube tab.

on other pages, not so much. but then I was using several layers of ad blocking

8gbs is fine with an ad blocker

for all kinds of multitasking

why should users pay for an additional 8gb just so companies can invade their privacy, spy on them just to flog adverts at them

seriously. It’s an absolute joke

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
8GB is surprisingly enough. I went from a MacBook Pro 17” 16GB 2011 to a MacBook Air 15” M2 8GB 2023. To my surprise the 8GB really is enough. It was an involuntary upgrade as my old machine’s power supply died while I am in the Philippines. My plan had been to get a MacBook Pro M3 Max 16” 32GB but there was not time and the 8GB MBA was all that was available. I have been very surprisingly pleased with the excellent performance of the 8G of RAM on the M2. It feels like I have more than the 16GB I used to have. I run Illustrator, photoshop, safari, notes, photos, mail, excel, TextEdit, BBEdit, Calendar, HotKeys and messenger all at the same time all the time.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
8GB is surprisingly enough. I went from a MacBook Pro 17” 16GB 2011 to a MacBook Air 15” M2 8GB 2023. To my surprise the 8GB really is enough. It was an involuntary upgrade as my old machine’s power supply died while I am in the Philippines. My plan had been to get a MacBook Pro M3 Max 16” 32GB but there was not time and the 8GB MBA was all that was available. I have been very surprisingly pleased with the excellent performance of the 8G of RAM on the M2. It feels like I have more than the 16GB I used to have. I run Illustrator, photoshop, safari, notes, photos, mail, excel, TextEdit, BBEdit, Calendar, HotKeys and messenger all at the same time all the time.

The disks are fast enough, that I imagine RAM is no longer such a critical thing.

Reactions: Chuckeee

taliz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
I haven't bought a Mac since 2011(came with 4GB, the SSD swapped itself to death). Not buying another one until this practice stops.
I primarily only do web browsing, but with 3 browsers(one for "generic" stuff, one for a few dozen work webapps, and one for ticket handling etc) and a few hundred tabs that uses a lot of memory.

Reactions: gerardp

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I haven't bought a Mac since 2011(came with 4GB, the SSD swapped itself to death). Not buying another one until this practice stops.
I primarily only do web browsing, but with 3 browsers(one for "generic" stuff, one for a few dozen work webapps, and one for ticket handling etc) and a few hundred tabs that uses a lot of memory.
Honest question: why do you need a few hundred tabs open when web browsing? Not being critical…..…. I just find that if I have more than say 5-10 tabs opened I start losing track of what I am doing.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
8Gb MacBooks and 60hz phones.
This company went totally greedy in Cook’s era.
They milked the Jobs/Ive legacy for every drop they could, but I think things have changed now. The closest fix I can think of is to get Ive back. At least the follow on designs will be clean even if the innovation is gone.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The debate shouldn’t be if 8GB enough. The debate should be if Apple should even consider selling computers with only 8GB of memory when a lot of cheap Window machines come with 16GB.

I don’t see why this is even a debate.

Do cheap windows laptops with 16 gb ram do what Apple’s laptops do?

This is the exact same scenario as back when the iPhone 5s was first released, and people mocked the A7 chip for only having two cores and 1 gb of ram. Meanwhile, android smartphone professors had 4-8 cores and 4 gb ram and still fared worse in terms of performance and battery life.

Wake me up when 8 gb ram MBAs suddenly stop being good enough for the majority of their user base, and I will agree that Apple has a problem. Otherwise, I maintain all this is just noise to disguise the real issue - which is that a few people are too cheapskate to pay for the ram and storage they want in a Mac.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
This is basically my user profile and is my experience as well with the base M2 MBA. My two kids just finished college (Bachelors in Business, Masters in Public Health). Zero problems at University with their base configuration MBAs.

This stuff about only surfing the web is a bunch of malarky.😆
Finally someone who actually uses one.

A lot of forums are all tech nerds who “think” 16GB is required when in reality they are not the mass market. I’m a tech guy but seriously all I use in a personal Mac is word processing, YouTube, spreadsheets, web browsing and maybe just maybe looking at photos.

My intense work is done on my work machine. Yes if you use a Mac for work get 16GB. And the price Apple changes for RAM is ridiculous but if it keeps the entry price down for the average consumer hooray.

I’m betting they’re going to up the price when they finally include 16GB in a base spec. And it will be the pros that get it first.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I’m betting they’re going to up the price when they finally include 16GB in a base spec. And it will be the pros that get it first.

I mean, it’s already possible to pretend that the 8gb versions of the MBA don’t exist and the current 16 gb ram / 512 gb storage option is the “default” entry level model.

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
When Apple are making it clear their intention to go into gaming, AI, VR, etc., and with a basic operating system requiring at least 4Gb I think you can certainly foresee RAM requirements are going to rise, not drop.
My point was that Apple has to offer a low cost version to compete with other starting laptops. I would never recommend 8 GB, unless for my dad etc. The risk of the ssd wearing out is overhyped as they last much longer than users assume.
The price of the memory and ssd is high, but I see the same for Dell and others that are selling memory with this bandwith.
I personally go for 64 GB and 2 TB ssd, but I am running LLM models on it were the unified memory allows me to run a model at the ChatGPT 3.5 level, over kill for most others though, but might actually be outdated in 3 - 5 years if everyone starts running LLM models locally, so nothing can be said future proof.

Reactions: Karut

Motorola68000

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2022
A Dell server with 8GB of memory in the base configuration.

Cost to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB is $236.00. To upgrade to 32GB is $442.00. Both prices are more than what Apple charges.

So, yes, the 8GB base is relevant.
You are changing the comment. The link I referred to was about a Dell XPS where even the illustration posted showed minimum configuration was 16Gb?

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
I run Illustrator, photoshop, safari, notes, photos, mail, excel, TextEdit, BBEdit, Calendar, HotKeys and messenger all at the same time all the time.

OK, but out of those, only the first 3 use much RAM. The first two will depend on the complexity / resolution of the images you're working with; the third will depend on whether you're a one-window guy or a 50-tabber.

8Gb MacBooks and 60hz phones.
This company went totally greedy in Cook’s era.

Oh, they've been greedy a lot longer than that; for at least the 25 years I've been using Macs (off and on). The resale value helps though.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
For everyone saying "oh but other companies offer 8GB/256 base spec". Yes, but for a lot less money! Then the upgrades are also half the price or less, across 95% of the market. Dell XPS 13 starts at £749 with the lousy base RAM/SSD, but £200 doubles both AND throws in a better processor. So XPS13 with 16/512 is £949 vs £1499 with Apple.

Reactions: Col4bin

Motorola68000

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2022
A Dell server with 8GB of memory in the base configuration.

Cost to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB is $236.00. To upgrade to 32GB is $442.00. Both prices are more than what Apple charges.

So, yes, the 8GB base is relevant.
You have been rather mischievous in your reply because you have inserted a Dell server when I was clearly replying to your posts about the Dell XPS 16 laptop! This is poor.

If something doesn't fit to make your argument strong, its not good to try stick one reply that was not connected to the server data. Very poor.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 09.22.53.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 09.22.53.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 09.24.08.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 09.24.08.png
    86 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reactions: ric22

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
I mean, it’s already possible to pretend that the 8gb versions of the MBA don’t exist and the current 16 gb ram / 512 gb storage option is the “default” entry level model.
We can, but that includes Apple's ludicrous pricing for extra ram. I suspect if they do go to 16GB they're bump the price of the base specs by $100 ($99), everyone will rejoice and buy one. And thus the entry level will bump up $100.

Reactions: Chuckeee and ric22

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
If something make your argument strong, its not good to try stick one reply that was not connected to the server data. Very poor.
Nope. The title of the post is “Is 8GB of RAM Enough for a Mac in 2024?”. Apparently it is for Dell servers. Dell laptops can also be purchased with 8GB.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
For what I do with my M2 MBA - word processing, firefox with a min of 4-6 tabs open and either music or video playing the background, it barely breaks a sweat with "just" 8GB

Reactions: citysnaps and EugW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.