Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
I sometimes wear mine for a whole workday, and while I do get condensation in them if it’s really hot inside, they’ve never failed. I bought mine a month or so after launch.

A more pressing (no pun intended) issue is the canopy losing its springiness and Apple won’t sell a replacement. That should be an article on here!
The headband looks absolutely terrible after prolonged usage and the fact, that you cannot get a replacement, like you can with the ear pads, even though the headband comes off so easily, is just ridiculous.

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Had a really long work call with my Airpods Max, some minor condensation issues

sweating-wet.gif

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I want to personally thank @arn , the editors, and MacRumors in general for giving visibility to this generalized issues, just like they did with the staingate or the issue with batteries.

Putting this news on the front page spreads awareness of problems that may be more generalized than we thought, and adds pressure to Apple to admit them and put in place replacement programs.
Still not a peep about PWM and its effects on some users, 6 years after introducing OLED to iPhone. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
The headband looks absolutely terrible after prolonged usage and the fact, that you cannot get a replacement, like you can with the ear pads, even though the headband comes off so easily, is just ridiculous.
Indeed. I’ve not yet replaced the ear pads, they’re in great condition. I’d buy a headband immediately if they came on sale.

I’ll just have to wait until the battery goes bust and do a battery replacement.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Sweat = additional moisture being produced. That would definitely have an effect on condensation since condensation = air not being able to hold any more moisture.
Definitely contributes, but not the reason I think as it also happens when you're not sweating, as your body warms them and the temp difference between your body and the outside results in condensation. Could also happen with a sudden temp change, like walking inside an air conditioned place after being outside with them in the heat. Either way that's normal life situations and not stress/drop etc. "accidental" damage. Apple should have accounted for this when designing them. The closed type of headphones will always get condensation, but others don't break because of it. It's a comparable situation to the butterfly keyboard, except the AirPods Max sell less than the MacBooks so the outcry isn't as big.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
It also serves as an important datapoint to keep issues in perspective.
And some folks might actually think “Hmm, what’s unique about me? Could it have something to do with keeping the AC low and maintaining enough moisture in the air to be comfortable?” or something of the such and then, learning a little about physics in the process!

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I think that, and the equally tired "Safari feels snappier" memes should be retired.
I think it IS retired, though. Because there was one moment in the past when its use became tired. So, of course, every time SINCE then it’s just tired all over again.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
but obviously there was condensation forming.
Not really, mold is all around us (unless there’s a functioning air filter nearby) just waiting for a moist place with nutrients. Both of those conditions can be met without condensation.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Maybe I’ll have to start wiping my AirPods down going forward.
Why change? You have “like new” AirPods Max whereas those with no problems have several year old AirPods Max. Seems like you get ahead just by “keeping doing what you’re doing”. Sure, when they switch off in the middle of doing something… that can be a bit annoying, but Apple’s making it right, so, win/win.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Had them since launch. Still function perfectly and I have used them when hot and sweaty. Ewww.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
if you are using them outside in a sunny over 35C day...you could dmg yourself not just the headphones
not an uncommon winter’s day in parts of my country. Mind you, I have only ever seen an AirPods Max once outside an Apple Store, and that was on the head of some preppy school boy on the bus about six months ago.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
must be specific climate conditions. for me everything works.
I’d imagine that the climate conditions this could happen in is broader than some might think. This could be happening to any number of headphones that don’t allow easy removal of the cups, but no one would know.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
If you have sweaty ears, maybe it's time to start eating healthier and do more exercise (not in 100 degrees and not wearing AirPods Max 😆 )

My favorite comment. I’m glad someone said it. Many Apple issues can be solved with a touch of common sense.

imac ios x

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
Am I using it wrong? Ever since the release I use them 4 times a week in the gym, sweating profoundly, only replaced the cushions once cause they started to smell even after washing. Using them 1-4 times a week when taking the bike to work, 1 hour to , 1 hour back, through -10 and +30, only the battery is kind of done by this time, only managing 4 hours of charge when 100%. But never ever have they failed on me.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
not an uncommon winter’s day in parts of my country. Mind you, I have only ever seen an AirPods Max once outside an Apple Store, and that was on the head of some preppy school boy on the bus about six months ago.
Yikes, Do you live in Ecuador?

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
put mac mini fans in the headset. silent and only reved up a few times for me. oh wait - they wouldnt fit

Gantris

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
I have had mine since launch with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I wear them 6+ hours a day for work but I’m not sure if that’s the environment these issues are occurring in. I imagine most people experiencing condensation are using them to workout, live in a VERY humid area, or are moving from a hot to cold environment regularly where the metal doesn’t have time to acclimate to the environment around them. I’ve even gone for a few walks wearing them and have never noticed moisture outside of some sweat on the covers. I’d be curious to see where the affected people live and/or how they are using them to see what the correlations are.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
I wonder if an impartial tester (i.e. Rtings.com) could do a test of these vs. Bose (QC35 ii, Noise Cancelling 700, etc), Sony (WH-1000XM4, WH-1000XM5, etc.), Sennheiser, etc.

My over-the-ear headphones get warm (due to pleather ear cups), but I've never seen any condensation inside.

I would have thought Apple's would have been superior due to the material. Guess I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.