Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pp_amorim

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2022
Joinville, SC
I almost bought those, thank God I opted for in-ear planar headphones instead (I once rode over them in the snow with my snowboard and they're still working perfectly). I stopped buying Apple sound equipment after the debacle that was the widespread issue of AirPod Pro cracking.

Bullet dodged.

pp_amorim

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2022
Joinville, SC
AirPods Max are a closed-back design. Go to any professional music studio with 20 or 30 closed-back headphones, and you'll notice that they're damp at the end of a long day of tracking or editing.The famous Sony MDR-7506 (closed back) are used on every film shoot in the world. They're all damp and yucky at the end of a long day of work. This is not an Apple-only problem. After 2-3 hours, mine are a little humid. No big deal. And definitely not worthy of a class-action suit. It would be like suing Apple for smudgy fingerprints on your iPhone. 🙄 Go get an open-back set of headphones like Grado if you don't like it.
This argument is flawed because product designers should take into account factors like sweat resistance. As consumer I would expect the device to incorporate some level of sweat resistance; otherwise, it's indeed a potential failure waiting to happen.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I know two people who have had replacements where there have been sound and/or connection issues and a decent build of condensation when using them. Hard to say it's not connected.

Others I know have had no issue. But then, I know plenty who had no issues with the butterfly keyboard.

bviktor

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2019
That's exactly why I'll wait until they release a product that is actually designed for workouts.

JanLp

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2022
At least they replace them, so at least the customer service works. But of-course failures can happen, but three in a row to the same person ...
At least ...
Are you kidding me. Of course, errors may occur. You make it sound like Apple provides a good service.

They don't! They don't provide more than they should. Lousy product from them and overpriced.

JayPeg

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
Mine have suffered from this issue on more than one occasion. It caused the headphones to struggle connecting to bluetooth at one point - totally unusable, expensive paper weight.

Contacted apple for weeks and weeks, they took them in and said they couldn't do anything about it, even acknowledging that it was water damage that had caused them to break! I've never worn them outside my office!

I found so many people online saying the same things and came across someone advising to disconnect the ear cup with a sim removal pin which then allows you to clean the connectors (looks like a mini lightning connector). After doing this I haven't had any disconnection issues since.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Criss P.

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2020
I cant think of a normal use situation where your headsets forms condensation inside...
1) they are not meant to be used while exercising.
2) they are not water poof, why would you bring them to the sauna?
3) why on earth would you use an over-the-year headset with +100F outside, are you into BDSM?...

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Exactly -- but how would we get clickbait "but Apple products specifically are defective!!!" threads like this if people used logic?
It's always these low-end "pro-sumers" who assume that every tech product is intended for their generic gamerboy use case. You saw the same thing with the ProDisplay XDR and the 2019 Mac Pro. But but but I can get a 32" BenQ display for $600!! I can build a more l33t PC for $2000!! These are not people who have even an inkling of why a professional would need a reference display... or why they would need ECC memory, double precision compute, or a very specific software workflow.

Reactions: ignatius345

jbaile07

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2023
AirPods Max have been plagued with issues. It’s undeniable that plenty of people have been able to enjoy them without any problems. That doesn’t absolve Apple of responsibility for the issues that do exist.

The condensation issues and the automatic head detection issues are rampant and more than justify a quality program.

I recently had a chat with phone support and they had the audacity to tell me I shouldn’t have taken them to the Apple store for service and should have called sooner because they can troubleshoot deeper. That’s BS.

I was then told that they couldn’t do anything because I waited too long to call back. I disagreed, stating, "The problem isn’t that I waited too long to call support, the problem is that I only got a full 9-10 months of usage out of them. I emailed Tim Cook and got no response.

I’ve got a pair of $80 mixing headphones that have lasted for 6 years that I’ve worn for hours at a time, have gotten plenty of my head sweat in them and they are still working.

I’ve got a $20 pair of headphones I’ve used while hiking the Appalachian Trail for months of sweat and rough use and they also still work to this day.

Why is it that I use the AirPods Max while sitting inside and they don’t last even a year?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Probably a lot of them dying this week! This might be the muggiest week I can ever remember here in the midwest. I try to go out and get exercise after midnight and it's still 85 with a heat index near 100. Going outside is like venturing into a soup. If I spend more than a few minutes in my garage my face starts dripping with sweat. Not long after sunset all of our windows steam up on the outside and our house isn't that old and pretty well insulated. It is just absolutely nasty. We broke an all-time record for heat index the other day. Usually when it gets into the lower 100s the air has dried out more. The other day I noticed on my Tempest Weather Station that the heat index was 130 and the dew point was around 85. So many people we know have air conditioners breaking left and right. I pray for mine every night, lol. Fortunately we just had it serviced for a cleaning and checkup a few weeks ago and they said it was good.

jbaile07

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2023
I cant think of a normal use situation where your headsets forms condensation inside...
3) why on earth would you use an over-the-year headset with +100F outside, are you into BDSM?...
You make a valid points. These are all relevant considerations. However, I believe that Apple still has a responsibility to address these issues and make them clear to consumers. It is unreasonable to expect most buyers to purchase AirPods Max with a full understanding of the potential condensation and durability problems. Apple should take steps to improve quality control, inform customers, and extend warranty coverage for affected users. While some people may enjoy AirPods Max without issue, the widespread problems warrant a broader response from Apple to maintain trust and satisfaction.

JanLp

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2022
You are ridiculous!

1. Are they not, who decides where and how I should use them?
2. Sauna ... If I feel like using them under these conditions, then that's what I do..
3. I use them exactly as I want. And yes, I'm into BDSM

There is nothing to indicate that I cannot use them under these conditions. By the way, can you find others who suffer from the same limitations?

jbaile07

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2023
It's always these low-end "pro-sumers" who assume that every tech product is intended for their generic gamerboy use case. You saw the same thing with the ProDisplay XDR and the 2019 Mac Pro. But but but I can get a 32" BenQ display for $600!! I can build a more l33t PC for $2000!! These are not people who have even an inkling of why a professional would need a reference display... or why they would need ECC memory, double precision compute, or a very specific software workflow.
The AirPods Max are a consumer product, not some specialized pro gear. Maybe stow your “low-end” elitist garbage remarks.

Bringing up ECC memory and double precision compute is an irrelevant distraction from the issues being discussed. This product is targeted at mainstream consumers, not some niche professional use case.

If people are having real problems with condensation and durability after normal usage, those are valid concerns regardless of technical minutiae. Diverting the discussion into esoteric professional requirements seems like an attempt to divert attention from addressing those issues head on.

At these prices, consumers have a right to expect products that reliably perform as advertised. If the AirPods Max are falling short in significant ways, citing irrelevant specs doesn't change that reality. Let's stay focused on the actual user experience and what recourse makes sense, not technical tangents that have no direct bearing.

Don't belittle people as ignorant or claim the product isn't meant for them. If Apple is going to market these to the general public, issues being reported are fair game for discussion.

Rather than getting on a high horse about professional needs, address the actual reliability complaints head on. If you don't have these problems yourself, great. But deriding others doesn't fix anything.

At these prices, it's reasonable to expect premium quality that lives up to the Apple brand name. If significant issues exist, denying or ridiculing them won't make anything better. The concerns warrant consideration and a substantive response.

jbaile07

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2023
You make a valid points. These are all relevant considerations. However, I believe that Apple still has a responsibility to address these issues and make them clear to consumers. It is unreasonable to expect most buyers to purchase AirPods Max with a full understanding of the potential condensation and durability problems. Apple should take steps to improve quality control, inform customers, and extend warranty coverage for affected users. While some people may enjoy AirPods Max without issue, the widespread problems warrant a broader response from Apple to maintain trust and satisfaction.
@JanLp you disliked my remark but I’m pretty sure we’re on the same page!? 😆

randomtask

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
My friend and I both bought this product on the same day two years ago (same exact purchase date, colour, everything). We both have (the same) desk based tech job where we listen to music whilst working for 8 hours a day.

I only wear my headphones at my desk and have had no problems. He wears his at desk, gym, walking around town and is on his third pair. I've experienced his device faults. I have had very similar but much subtler faults with my pair (one headphone cutting out, device restarting etc).

I personally think there is a design flaw with them based on their frailty. Luckily we both purchased the apple care product with them.

jbaile07

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2023
My friend and I both bought this product on the same day two years ago (same exact purchase date, colour, everything). We both have (the same) desk based tech job where we listen to music whilst working for 8 hours a day.

I only wear my headphones at my desk and have had no problems. He wears his at desk, gym, walking around town and is on his third pair. I've experienced his device faults. I have had very similar but much subtler faults with my pair (one headphone cutting out, device restarting etc).

I personally think there is a design flaw with them based on their frailty. Luckily we both purchased the apple care product with them.
Seems pretty cut and “dry” <—- (condensation joke…) ba dum tssssss lol

jbaile07

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2023
AirPods Max are a closed-back design. Go to any professional music studio with 20 or 30 closed-back headphones, and you'll notice that they're damp at the end of a long day of tracking or editing.The famous Sony MDR-7506 (closed back) are used on every film shoot in the world. They're all damp and yucky at the end of a long day of work. This is not an Apple-only problem. After 2-3 hours, mine are a little humid. No big deal. And definitely not worthy of a class-action suit. It would be like suing Apple for smudgy fingerprints on your iPhone. 🙄 Go get an open-back set of headphones like Grado if you don't like it.
“damp and yucky” cracked me up!! I think the issue at hand is that Apple is knowable in their target marketing. They are liable in that case — my opinion. I do NOT believe a class action lawsuit is anywhere near justifiable. A simple quality program and waiver would suffice.

And Boom

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2022
Yes !!! I'm on my 3rd device (2 replacements).

After a while they just refuse to connect.

The first replacement went through Apple Online, the second they refused and I had to take it into a shop.

Got a new pair back both times.

The ones I've currently got (replaced earlier this year) have started to struggle to connect now.

Completely unacceptable for such an expensive bit of kit.
I'm 4 pairs in; one no cost replacement, one $299 replacement, 2 at full price. all have failed in this exact way. I'm holding onto them, and the RMA's for the class action lawsuit.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I sometimes wear mine for a whole workday, and while I do get condensation in them if it’s really hot inside, they’ve never failed. I bought mine a month or so after launch.

A more pressing (no pun intended) issue is the canopy losing its springiness and Apple won’t sell a replacement. That should be an article on here!

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
I'm having connectivity issues with mine. Apple have sent them back saying they see no issues whatsoever with my pair. Sure, they work just fine most of the time until they don't. The satin silicone finish on the headband is flaking by now too. I love them, but for the premium price, these should have been way more durable. Also Maxes are really terrible for outdoor use in hot weather. It's a head scratcher why anyone would go out in them during a heatwave let alone running or do sports - they are stupid heavy and uncomfortable in those conditions.

• Wow

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
The AirPods Max are a consumer product, not some specialized pro gear. Maybe stow your “low-end” elitist garbage remarks.

I'm sorry if you take offense to my comment for some reason, but it's true. The moment Apple enters a new market, people who have no experience (but think they do) in that market start calling them out for normal and expected issues that affect every competitor too. AirTag stalking was suddenly a massive manufactured PR fiasco, while Tile whistles nonchalantly in the corner.

Closed back headphones get sweaty, and sweat increases humidity in the ear cups, and humidity causes condensation. If your living depends on using them for hours at a time then you accept that you're going to need new headphones periodically. If it doesn't, then you either take a break every hour or get open back headphones. As the article states, there is no evidence that this is occurring at abnormally high rates, probably because most people are using them in a manner consistent with the design constraints.

I absolutely sympathize with you, having an expensive tool or toy break unexpectedly sucks. It sounds like you've found a cheaper solution that meets your needs, so that's great!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I came close to buying a pair this week, until I came across the problems mentioned in the thread. Even though I was going to get AC+ for the gear, I am going to hold off on the purchase. I am not going to spend $600 and have problems I have to regularly deal with with Apple. I will wait and see what Apple does for a worthwhile response or see what version 2 brings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.