Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IamScotty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
People will pay for this next year, it will have tons of movies and new Shows.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
Assuming that there will be new ones added? That’s not an assumption, there is a pipeline.
my point was that you're assuming you'll have shows you actually WANT to watch by time you are done watching whatever you are watching (if you even liked any of the 4 shows in the offering)

it is a fact that this is a very limited service. so how can anyone justify this price for such a small pool of shows when there is so far nothing else worthy of the price.

We're going to make a huge assumption that every new show coming to the service is going to be something worth watching, as we can see, that is really not going to be the case considering out of the 4 shows, none have been an instant 'hit' or critically praised. 4 shows, i'd argue only 2 even remotely worth giving time to.

So, again, where will the justification in price be? I pay for netflix because despite it's own offerings, it has a huge library of stuff. I justify the price even though i don't watch every week because when i WANT to watch i know there will be something there. That may not be the case with Appletv+.

The closet thing i can compare AppleTv+ to is HBO. HBO isn't as big as Netflix in terms of offerings, but every month they have something like weekly shows (bill maher, last week tonight,) and monthly shows (real sports) and then they have their own prestigious yearly offerings, and a select of good movies. Even despite all that, it is a premium price for those things and sometimes i cancel HBO when there hasn't been anything really engaging.

Apple is banking on their really loyal fanbase to jump in just because of the brand, and not because the service is justified.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
my point was that you're assuming you'll have shows you actually WANT to watch by time you are done watching whatever you are watching (if you even liked any of the 4 shows in the offering)

it is a fact that this is a very limited service. so how can anyone justify this price for such a small pool of shows when there is so far nothing else worthy of the price.

We're going to make a huge assumption that every new show coming to the service is going to be something worth watching, as we can see, that is really not going to be the case considering out of the 4 shows, none have been an instant 'hit' or critically praised. 4 shows, i'd argue only 2 even remotely worth giving time to.

So, again, where will the justification in price be? I pay for netflix because despite it's own offerings, it has a huge library of stuff. I justify the price even though i don't watch every week because when i WANT to watch i know there will be something there. That may not be the case with Appletv+.

The closet thing i can compare AppleTv+ to is HBO. HBO isn't as big as Netflix in terms of offerings, but every month they have something like weekly shows (bill maher, last week tonight,) and monthly shows (real sports) and then they have their own prestigious yearly offerings, and a select of good movies. Even despite all that, it is a premium price for those things and sometimes i cancel HBO when there hasn't been anything really engaging.

Apple is banking on their really loyal fanbase to jump in just because of the brand, and not because the service is justified.
The simplest way for me to justify: I don’t care about $5. Even if I get 2hrs worth of entertainment from it a month, that is sufficient.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I doubt very many people will pay a subscription, especially for so little content.
  • Most non-Apple devices will not play Apple TV content. I know this is changing, but right now this is the case.
  • Therefore, by definition, the vast majority of people who can access this service do so with an Apple device....
  • ...but the service comes free for a year with a new Apple device, and Apple sells a quarter of a billion devices every year.
So what this adds up to is that a lot of people will use this service, but for free with their device so they won't be paying for it.

Many others cannot access it at all, so they won't be paying for it either.

The only possible customers left are those with Apple devices who don't upgrade frequently.

------------------

All that said, this is clearly just a start. They are dumping billions into this. Apple cannot have all of its eggs in one iPhone basket without risk of being the next Polaroid, Saab, or Nokia.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
it's superb because it offers you 4 shows and decent AV? really? either your bar is low or you're simply an apple apologist.
Or maybes he’s a snoopy in space fan ? apparently there are more than 3 episodes of old snoop

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
either your bar is low or you're simply an apple apologist

Well geez aren't you judgmental. I'm not signed up either, but c'mon, there are 7 billion people in the world, all with different priorities, preferences, budgets, opinions, and points of view.

Many would spend $15 on a single movie that lasts 90 minutes at the theater. Many will spend $35 for a single disc. Many would rent a single movie from iTunes for $5 that lasts 48 hours. Many will see ATV+ provides four shows for the equivalent cost of a single espresso. And to many, $5 is nothing at all.

So there are many more possibilities than "low bar" and "Apple apologist".

Last edited:

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
it's superb because it offers you 4 shows and decent AV? really? either your bar is low or you're simply an apple apologist.

or people only have the time to watch one show a month.
I probably get to watch a couple of hours of tv each weekend. If people have that kind of viewing habits why isn’t that an acceptable bar?

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
or people only have the time to watch one show a month.
I probably get to watch a couple of hours of tv each weekend. If people have that kind of viewing habits why isn’t that an acceptable bar?

Precisely. Not everyone has the time nor inclination to spend ten hours at a time bingeing TV shows so they can cancel their subscription and feel as though they've somehow cheated the system. I'm just in it for some entertaining programming with great AV quality. For the same price per month as renting one movie, once, Apple TV+ is an excellent service for me. It's there when I want to use it. It's not there for me to suck dry during every waking moment.

Others have different uses and priorities, and that's fine. Whatever floats their boat. It's almost like someone should start a thread asking for the opinions of others. Oh hang on a sec...?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Well geez aren't you judgmental. I'm not signed up either, but c'mon, there are 7 billion people in the world, all with different priorities, preferences, budgets, opinions, and points of view.

Many would spend $15 on a single movie that lasts 90 minutes at the theater. Many will spend $35 for a single disc. Many would rent a single movie from iTunes for $5 that lasts 48 hours. Many will see ATV+ provides four shows for the equivalent cost of a single espresso. And to many, $5 is nothing at all.

So there are many more possibilities than "low bar" and "Apple apologist".

Very well put. Couldn’t have said it better myself. ??

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Precisely. Not everyone has the time nor inclination to spend ten hours at a time bingeing TV shows so they can cancel their subscription and feel as though they've somehow cheated the system. I'm just in it for some entertaining programming with great AV quality. For the same price per month as renting one movie, once, Apple TV+ is an excellent service for me. It's there when I want to use it. It's not there for me to suck dry during every waking moment.

Others have different uses and priorities, and that's fine. Whatever floats their boat. It's almost like someone should start a thread asking for the opinions of others. Oh hang on a sec...?

I think the confusion comes in when people expected a streaming service to rival other streaming services. AppleTV+ cant compete “currently” I completely got what the OP was getting at. No one. Absolutely no one is cancelling Netflix or prime over this as it stands at launch. I’m not saying that in a year or two ATV+ won’t be a contender but the majority signing up today are likely to be disappointed by content volume. The OP asked the question in the wrong place. Asking on MR forums was always going to bring out those who feel it’s their purpose online to defend Apple at any cost. The truth is for many here and elsewhere who know apples long game is drip feeding. Wether it’s drip feeding specification and/or features and many are perfectly fine with that as the iOS experience is important to them BUT for those signing up to a streaming service expecting shows/movies with an ending, a final episode already available. Something In it’s entirety to test their 4.99. Like they would on any other streaming services. For some! Myself included this rings the alarm that apple are bringing the drip feed formula to this service also. Treat em mean keep em keen is clearly apples mantra for success lol.

Anyway, Apple fans will get behind this and it will succeed. The loyalists are determined, if anything. I however agree with OP, it’s disappointing and ultimately content poor. Apples scheduling seems to suggest that upcoming content will be similarly slow to populate. If users recieved a free year then it’s no loss to watch it populate but my guess is that even when the free year is over and the 4.99 inevitably goes up Apple are banking on having at least one show (GOT level) that has the majority of free year users hooked. I doubt the criticism is rattling apple. They knew what they were/are doing and like I said earlier I suspect this is a long game apple are playing.

Currently, I agree the service is sh** and I won’t be cancelling Netflix any time soon.

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I think the confusion comes in when people expected a streaming service to rival other streaming services. AppleTV+ cant compete “currently” I completely got what the OP was getting at. No one. Absolutely no one is cancelling Netflix or prime over this as it stands at launch. I’m not saying that in a year or two ATV+ won’t be a contender but the majority signing up today are likely to be disappointed by content volume. The OP asked the question in the wrong place. Asking on MR forums was always going to bring out those who feel it’s their purpose online to defend Apple at any cost. The truth is for many here and elsewhere who know apples long game is drip feeding. Wether it’s drip feeding specification and/or features and many are perfectly fine with that as the iOS experience is important to them BUT for those signing up to a streaming service expecting shows/movies with an ending, a final episode already available. Something In it’s entirety to test their 4.99. Like they would on any other streaming services. For some! Myself included this rings the alarm that apple are bringing the drip feed formula to this service also. Treat em mean keep em keen should be (Already is) apples mantra for success imo lol.

Anyway, Apple fans will get behind this and it will succeed. The loyalists are determined, if anything. I however agree with OP, it’s disappointing and ultimately content poor. Apples scheduling seems to suggest that upcoming content will be similarly slow to populate. If users recieved a free year then it’s no loss to watch it populate but my guess is that even when the free year is over and the 4.99 inevitably goes up Apple are banking on having at least one show (GOT level) that has the majority of free year users hooked. I doubt the criticism is rattling apple. They knew what they were/are doing and like I said earlier I suspect this is a long game apple are playing.

Currently, I agree the service is sh** and I won’t be cancelling Netflix any time soon.

What on Earth are you talking about? Did you read that before posting it? ?

There is no confusion at all. The question is in the title. My answer was yes. The End.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
What on Earth are you talking about? Did you read that before posting it? ?

There is no confusion at all. The question is in the title. My answer was yes. The End.

Why would I read it? I wrote it Fella ?

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Why would I read it? I wrote it Fella ?

I thought you might have liked to double check you were responding to the right thread. I'm not interested in debating the subject. I merely answered the question. Yes I am paying for Apple TV+ because I like it. You are encouraged to do as you please. Meanwhile I'll do the same, and I'll do it without prior permission or approval from you or anyone else.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I thought you might have liked to double check you were responding to the right thread. I'm not interested in debating the subject. I merely answered the question. Yes I am paying for Apple TV+ because I like it. You are encouraged to do as you please. Meanwhile I'll do the same, and I'll do it without prior permission or approval from you or anyone else.
Oh, I see. It was a sarcastic post? I get it. ?

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I think the confusion comes in when people expected a streaming service to rival other streaming services. AppleTV+ cant compete “currently” I completely got what the OP was getting at. No one. Absolutely no one is cancelling Netflix or prime over this as it stands at launch. I’m not saying that in a year or two ATV+ won’t be a contender but the majority signing up today are likely to be disappointed by content volume. The OP asked the question in the wrong place. Asking on MR forums was always going to bring out those who feel it’s their purpose online to defend Apple at any cost. The truth is for many here and elsewhere who know apples long game is drip feeding. Wether it’s drip feeding specification and/or features and many are perfectly fine with that as the iOS experience is important to them BUT for those signing up to a streaming service expecting shows/movies with an ending, a final episode already available. Something In it’s entirety to test their 4.99. Like they would on any other streaming services. For some! Myself included this rings the alarm that apple are bringing the drip feed formula to this service also. Treat em mean keep em keen should be (Already is) apples mantra for success imo lol.

I don’t know why people were expecting it to compete with Netflix. I agree it doesn't and I won’t be canceling my subscription to Netflix.
However that doesn’t mean it’s not worth a subscription fee. I can subscribe to two services if needed. I used to pay a lot more for Foxtel. If I could pay $5 a month for walking dead I would pay it (don’t judge me I feel after 9 seasons I have to see it through?), but I can’t so I just pirate it.
Half of the people complaining about there not being much content on TV+ are in other threads complaining Netflix is full of low budget filler.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I don’t know why people were expecting it to compete with Netflix

Because that’s exactly how the worlds media were promoting it in the run up to launch. I didn’t for one moment expect Netflix/prime catalogue of content as it’s mostly back catalogue anyway and appletv is building content. I did however expect more than a handful and at least one complete series. Yes 4.99 is a small amount but even for that I would’ve expected a series with an ending/finale which would have made subsequent 4.99 palatable. Right now they have dangled the proverbial carrot, maybe to ensure I pay a further 2 months to follow the series to completion. There is the other option to wait until full series content is available and then subscribe. I naively presumed entire series content would be available at launch.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019

What are you talking about? Who rents a movie for $5 these days? You're talking about this as if Appletv+ is the first streaming service launched when it is in fact late to the game. Not only is Appletv late, it is launching right when other, more enticing services are launching that return a better value for your dollar.

You are simply bending backwards to justify the price of (as of right now) an inferior streaming service. So, again back to my original reply YOU and others are assuming appletv will be worth it. You're assuming a lot more content is coming, a lot of content you're actually going to watch. It's a big assumption, and so far telling by these 4 shows it could be a wrong one.

I'm afraid Apple is once again playing on peoples loyalty, and you and others in here posting demonstrate that they still can get away with it. For what it's worth at least they are giving this service away pretty much the first year and will probably come out with bundled options down the line. Its the only way i can see them succeeding with this.

A Music+news+arcade+TV bundle at a competitive price point is the only way this makes sense.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
What are you talking about? Who rents a movie for $5 these days? You're talking about this as if Appletv+ is the first streaming service launched when it is in fact late to the game. Not only is Appletv late, it is launching right when other, more enticing services are launching that return a better value for your dollar.

You are simply bending backwards to justify the price of (as of right now) an inferior streaming service. So, again back to my original reply YOU and others are assuming appletv will be worth it. You're assuming a lot more content is coming, a lot of content you're actually going to watch. It's a big assumption, and so far telling by these 4 shows it could be a wrong one.

I'm afraid Apple is once again playing on peoples loyalty, and you and others in here posting demonstrate that they still can get away with it. For what it's worth at least they are giving this service away pretty much the first year and will probably come out with bundled options down the line. Its the only way i can see them succeeding with this.

A Music+news+arcade+TV bundle at a competitive price point is the only way this makes sense.
Wow. You’re a character. No one here has assumed it will be worth it, we’re saying even in its current form, it is worth it. To you, maybe not. To me, yes. I earn more than enough money to not miss $5, even if that only translates into a few hours of TV per week.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014

I think you may need help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.