Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I got it free because i got the new Iphone 11 recently but i can not imagine myself paying $5 a month for this service. I'm curious to know if anyone is ACTUALLY paying?

I can't see the justification to pay this amount for only having 4 shows to watch. There is literally no other value to the service at this point, so i can't imagine anyone paying.

I see it as the old “quantity vs quality” argument all over again.

Rather than waging an expensive content arms race, Apple appears to have decided to go with a curated feed of compelling visual storytelling.

There may be only 4 tent pole shows at the moment, but each of them has received rather rave reviews online, and I think this matters. Rather than flood us with a stream of mediocre content, Apple is funnelling its resources towards producing a small stable of compelling premium content instead.

3c2614559933aa50d27184084c84c1b8.jpg

As of this moment, I have watched See and Morning show. This translates to 8 episodes a month, which I feel is well worth $5. Granted, I am on the free trial, but come this time next year, these shows would be on their second season and I see myself staying on.

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
No, and I do not see any reason to pay for it when my free subscription runs out next year. Disney+ is a fully different discussion.

Problem with Apple TV+ is that there is 4 things to view, the app lists things which either you have to pay for extra, or you have sign up for an additional subscription. Sorry Sir ... no thank you.

Been watching Dickinson, and remember that Apple refulsed to seel a book which had photos of naked people on the cover a few years back, now they have a show which included lesbian sex ... interesting how the world changes.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

JemTheWire

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
As it’s stands I am using the free 12 months option I received with my new iPhone 11 Pro Max. I have no intention at this time to renew after this expires.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Yes but have you gained prior approval from @UnrealWhale to ensure that your purchases comply with protocol??? ?

I think you need a lie down fella. Your preoccupation with OP has dialled you’re sarcasm to max.
[automerge]1573293761[/automerge]
Been watching Dickinson, and remember that Apple refulsed to seel a book which had photos of naked people on the cover a few years back, now they have a show which included lesbian sex ... interesting how the world changes

You do realise you have just sold Dickinson to any otherwise not interested subscribers. Right? ?

Apple Fritter

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
All they had to do was grab some of their change they don't know what to do with and buy Disney and HBO instead of buying back their own shares. But nope, for some reason they seem to think building a media empire from scratch is the easy route. Might be checking back in a few years when they've got 7 or 8 shows dropping monthly episodes. Oh well. *shrugs*

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

Rather than waging an expensive content arms race, Apple appears to have decided to go with a curated feed of compelling visual storytelling.

There may be only 4 tent pole shows at the moment, but each of them has received rather rave reviews online, and I think this matters. Rather than flood us with a stream of mediocre content, Apple is funnelling its resources towards producing a small stable of compelling premium content instead.

As of this moment, I have watched See and Morning show. This translates to 8 episodes a month, which I feel is well worth $5. Granted, I am on the free trial, but come this time next year, these shows would be on their second season and I see myself staying on.

Who cares what reviews say on rotten tomatoes. If you like it, then that’s all that matters. Not sure why some people here continually need confirmation in what they hate/like from outside sources.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Netflix has Breaking Bad,LOST,Stranger Things, Witcher. HBO had GOT. None of the shows in ATV+ are as good as these franchises. Netflix wipes the floor here.

sonicboom

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
Breaking Bad, lost, and GOT are old news.

Moving forward - who has the better new content

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
I was pretty sure I would not pay for this, at least not for the moment. But having seen the first four episodes of The Morning Show and For all Mankind and some of Dickinson, I‘m suddenly considering a subscription. Or maybe I‘ll just buy another Apple TV 4K. Looks like I need an additional HomeKit hub anyway ...

Me too. I didn’t think I would find enough to interest me but after watching some of the free first few episodes I’m seriously considering it. I was actually surprised with Dickinson. Didn’t think I’d be interested at all, but after watching the 1st episode I’ve changed my mind.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I am not, I get it for free with my student Apple Music subscription.

I imagine Apple’s strategy is to build up the catalog and reputation during the trial period, and they’re hoping people will think it’s worth the $5/month after a year of content being added. We’ll see how good it is, but there’s signs of promise. They need a back-catalog as well.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Me too. I didn’t think I would find enough to interest me but after watching some of the free first few episodes I’m seriously considering it. I was actually surprised with Dickinson. Didn’t think I’d be interested at all, but after watching the 1st episode I’ve changed my mind.
May have to give Dickinson another go. I put it on but got sidetracked by a phone call. Tbh, so far the only saving grace for me has been The morning show. Everything else is a chore. I tried again to watch ‘For all mankind’ and for the 2nd time it literally bored me to sleep whenever I try watching. It’s just painfully slow.

Had high hopes for ‘See’ not enjoying it as much as predicted. It’s set in the future (apparently) yet the dialect and phrasing is from a past historical era ? I get their sight is gone but dystopian future for the visually impaired doesn’t explain why they’re speaking in some early man Neanderthal brogue. It’s distracting & makes no sense.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Not to mention the overall navigation is awful. On Netflix, if I see something I can watch it. On ATV+ it just mixes together stuff which is free and what is paid. There is no "Skip intro" button. I dont see this beating Netflix with the sheer amount of content they have.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I think you need a lie down fella. Your preoccupation with OP has dialled you’re sarcasm to max.
[automerge]1573293761[/automerge]

You do realise you have just sold Dickinson to any otherwise not interested subscribers. Right?

They will be disappointed, the ‘lesbian sex’ is nothing more than a few kisses and a young woman’s face while she has an orgasm. Very tame.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Not to mention the overall navigation is awful. On Netflix, if I see something I can watch it. On ATV+ it just mixes together stuff which is free and what is paid. There is no "Skip intro" button. I dont see this beating Netflix with the sheer amount of content they have.

You can navigate only Apple TV+ by using the Apple TV+ section in the TV app. There is a Skip Intro button. Or at least there is when using an Apple TV.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
You can navigate only Apple TV+ by using the Apple TV+ section in the TV app. There is a Skip Intro button. Or at least there is when using an Apple TV.
Can confirm this is also the case of the fire tv app (firestick) it’s actually pretty well laid out tbf.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I'm not one to say "Steve would've never allowed this" but I really do wonder what he would've thought of Apple TV+ relative to the existing market.

I personally think they've started weak, Disney's service just mops the floor with this one. Hopefully they are able to push out new stuff regularly or it will get stale and stagnant quick.

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Well, I’m paying for it once my 7 day trial runs out. I’ve watched all of Dickinson, The Morning Show, See and Snoopy in Space and enjoyed all of them so far. Well worth the money for me.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Who cares what reviews say on rotten tomatoes. If you like it, then that’s all that matters. Not sure why some people here continually need confirmation in what they hate/like from outside sources.

Because there is a difference between “I don’t like this show” and “if I don’t like this show, it must mean that nobody else likes this show as well. It sucks, Apple sucks and Apple is doomed”.

The initially positive reviews also contrast with another macrumours article claiming how initial reviews by the critics seem tepid, and how many haters quickly latched onto this to bash Apple. This shows that Apple’s early video streaming efforts seem to be resonating with their customer base, much to their chagrin.

It appears to be the same story all over again. Products that seem to be reviled here (think Apple Watch and AirPods and well, pretty much anything Apple does, now that I think about it) are loved by basically everyone else not here, and I think there is a lesson here which bears reminding.

One underestimates Apple to their own detriment.

Reactions: jaredlipsitz

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019

You guys gonna start to say that these shows represent quality? Are you serious? These shows are serviceable at best, meaning , some of it can be watchable until the end.

The shows that will most likely be finished Morning Show / See are far from good shows but the production value is so high that it may warrant finishing.

See- is an interesting concept, but so damn silly, and so infuriating illogical at times that you're kinda laughing at the show. Same with Morning Show - it is so obvious in what it is trying to say that it becomes eye rolling half the time. The other two shows i can't even watch for 5min without turning them off.

There is nothing about "quality over quantity" here, nothing. Even Netflix had House of Cards in the very beginning of it's streaming dominance, there is no show here even remotely close to that shows first 2 seasons.

Appletv+ seems like an afterthought for apple. something they bundle into other services. So, i'm sorry to say but as of right now if you are paying $5 a month for this then you're kinda dumb.

Reactions: TohMac

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You guys gonna start to say that these shows represent quality? Are you serious? These shows are serviceable at best, meaning , some of it can be watchable until the end.

The shows that will most likely be finished Morning Show / See are far from good shows but the production value is so high that it may warrant finishing.

See- is an interesting concept, but so damn silly, and so infuriating illogical at times that you're kinda laughing at the show. Same with Morning Show - it is so obvious in what it is trying to say that it becomes eye rolling half the time. The other two shows i can't even watch for 5min without turning them off.

There is nothing about "quality over quantity" here, nothing. Even Netflix had House of Cards in the very beginning of it's streaming dominance, there is no show here even remotely close to that shows first 2 seasons.

Appletv+ seems like an afterthought for apple. something they bundle into other services. So, i'm sorry to say but as of right now if you are paying $5 a month for this then you're kinda dumb.

Well, I happen to like them. Moreso the Netflix these days, where their original content simply isn’t resonating with me.

Which brings me back to my original point. Each of us is well within our rights to like or hate the show. That’s all there is to it. Even if the most influential movie critic writes a scathing review of the show, he is still one voice, and thus one vote.

The real question ought to be - do you see enough people subscribing to make TV+ profitable in the end? I am willing to bet that it will be by 2022 (3 years). Magic number I am looking at here is 40 million subscribers. Shouldn’t be an issue for Apple.

Reactions: iOS Geek

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Because there is a difference between “I don’t like this show” and “if I don’t like this show, it must mean that nobody else likes this show as well. It sucks, Apple sucks and Apple is doomed”.

The initially positive reviews also contrast with another macrumours article claiming how initial reviews by the critics seem tepid, and how many haters quickly latched onto this to bash Apple. This shows that Apple’s early video streaming efforts seem to be resonating with their customer base, much to their chagrin.

It appears to be the same story all over again. Products that seem to be reviled here (think Apple Watch and AirPods and well, pretty much anything Apple does, now that I think about it) are loved by basically everyone else not here, and I think there is a lesson here which bears reminding.

One underestimates Apple to their own detriment.
I wouldn’t compare this to AirPods and AW at all. None of the shows have been received as well as Game of Thrones, LOST, Stranger Things, Breaking Bad which are what I would call AirPods and AW. The first season of GOT and Breaking Bad and Stranger Things are all 9+ rated
[automerge]1573376933[/automerge]
I know that. But on the iPhone and iPad there is no skip intro button and paid stuff is mixed in with what is available freely.

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I know that. But on the iPhone and iPad there is no skip intro button and paid stuff is mixed in with what is available freely.

I don't know about the skip intro button in iOS as I only watch on ATV 4K, but there is definitely an Apple TV+ section in the iOS TV App. I'm looking at it now.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I don't know about the skip intro button in iOS as I only watch on ATV 4K, but there is definitely an Apple TV+ section in the iOS TV App. I'm looking at it now.
The section is there but paid content is mixed in with the free one. I just opened the app and right below the free TV shows it showed me “Destruction Los Angeles” but it was paid. On Netflix, anything I see is viewable without extra cash.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
The section is there but paid content is mixed in with the free one. I just opened the app and right below the free TV shows it showed me “Destruction Los Angeles” but it was paid. On Netflix, anything I see is viewable without extra cash.

I only see Apple TV+ content in the Apple TV+ section. Unless you mean in 'related'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.