Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
OP. In it current state, It’s a crap service. You know it, we know it and even the white knights posting otherwise know it. There is plenty of discussion outside of this forum where you may find more civilised, constructive discussions. Unfortunately, I find MR littered with apple white knights whose only purpose, it seems is to lurk, observe and derail anything that resembles criticism. It’ll drive ya mad if ya let it ?

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
What are you talking about? Who rents a movie for $5 these days? You're talking about this as if Appletv+ is the first streaming service launched when it is in fact late to the game. Not only is Appletv late, it is launching right when other, more enticing services are launching that return a better value for your dollar.

You are simply bending backwards to justify the price of (as of right now) an inferior streaming service. So, again back to my original reply YOU and others are assuming appletv will be worth it. You're assuming a lot more content is coming, a lot of content you're actually going to watch. It's a big assumption, and so far telling by these 4 shows it could be a wrong one.

I'm afraid Apple is once again playing on peoples loyalty, and you and others in here posting demonstrate that they still can get away with it. For what it's worth at least they are giving this service away pretty much the first year and will probably come out with bundled options down the line. Its the only way i can see them succeeding with this.

A Music+news+arcade+TV bundle at a competitive price point is the only way this makes sense.

Why start a thread when you’ve already decided what the answer is?

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
Wow. You’re a character. No one here has assumed it will be worth it, we’re saying even in its current form, it is worth it. To you, maybe not. To me, yes. I earn more than enough money to not miss $5, even if that only translates into a few hours of TV per week.

I hate this. I absolutely hate this rationale. "errr derp i earn more than enough to justify $60 a year"

It is so tiresome to read this and it always comes from apple apologists. Chances are if you're the kind of guy that throws away 6o dollars a month on a service that isn't worth it, then you probably throw money away on other things like a $50 a month gym membership you never utilize, extra features on a car you never use, etc etc

And at the end of all that financial irresponsibility you're no better than the average middle class american with no prospect of a retirement fund.

It's like the internet turned into one big Corporate rally for your favorite brand without any real logical insight.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
I hate this. I absolutely hate this rationale. "errr derp i earn more than enough to justify $60 a year"

It is so tiresome to read this and it always comes from apple apologists. Chances are if you're the kind of guy that throws away 6o dollars a month on a service that isn't worth it, then you probably throw money away on other things like a $50 a month gym membership you never utilize, extra features on a car you never use, etc etc

And at the end of all that financial irresponsibility you're no better than the average middle class american with no prospect of a retirement fund.

It's like the internet turned into one big Corporate rally for your favorite brand without any real logical insight.
You really are quite opinionated. Financially, I’m very sound. No need for you to worry.

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Think the point of offering the free year is so that users stick. 1 year from now the network will have much more content and users would be convinced to keep after the year. $60 bucks a year per user that bought another high margin product.

It will be successful. I’ve watched 3 of the Morning Show episodes and I’m intrigued. For all mankind is also interesting

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
Looking at what is currently on offer I'd guess everyone is a freebie!
Hopefully they'll add more content over the year...gonna be a tough nut to crack for Apple this...

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
Looking at what is currently on offer I'd guess everyone is a freebie!
Hopefully they'll add more content over the year...gonna be a tough nut to crack for Apple this...

yeah, it is going to be tough. there's no way they keep this as a standalone service. it's going to be bundled with their other services at a reasonable price, while still offering the free year every time someone buys a product for the back to school promotion..... actually i can see them doing this every time a product is purchase, regardless of the time of year .

Reactions: Aydy and Seed101

TheRedOx

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just paid today. When I finish watching the content then maybe I'll just cancel it, no big deal, and resubscribe if something else comes to the service that looks good. Disney+ is coming Tuesday and I'm super excited about that as well - there are a lot of shows that I have on the go right now and it's kind of wonderful. I don't think Apple is giving away a year subscription to get people hooked, it's so they can say they're the most popular streaming service with over 30 million subscribers (or whatever the number is of people purchasing a qualifying Apple product).

Reactions: Aydy

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Yes. $60 a year for more options to watch, yeah. I can skip a single fast food (enter whatever the thing is here) to have more TV options across several people in my family.
And at this point it is BOGO, so $30/year over 2 years.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
Just paid today. When I finish watching the content then maybe I'll just cancel it, no big deal, and resubscribe if something else comes to the service that looks good. Disney+ is coming Tuesday and I'm super excited about that as well - there are a lot of shows that I have on the go right now and it's kind of wonderful. I don't think Apple is giving away a year subscription to get people hooked, it's so they can say they're the most popular streaming service with over 30 million subscribers (or whatever the number is of people purchasing a qualifying Apple product).

When you look at what everyone else is offering there is really 0 value in what Apple has with Appletv+. I know people here keep defending apple given the forum we are on but anyone looking at this objectively can see that it is absurd.

Compare what Prime offers you.
Compare how much content Netflix gives you.

It is not even in the same ballpark. If apple does not come out with an enticing bundle it's going to be only their loyalist of loyal apple heads that throw their money away on this service.

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015

Yup, with all original content Disney own they are going to be a major player here...I'm struggling to see how Apple will compete presently, but will happily stick out the trial period and watch ( or not...) with interest!

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I can see content remaining sparse if this is going to be exclusively Apple produced content. They really need to consider opening to some of the major big players, production houses otherwise by end of the free year the content will still ultimately be extremely limited for a subscription based streaming service imo

Reactions: jbachandouris

An english man in vic

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
It appears I am the odd man out, paying €5 a month and having just and only watched “ the morning show” hope that shows like this are only the beginning, Jennifer Aniston definitely needs an award for her part As the nutty woman and compared to the garbage being pumped out by Netflix let’s hope Apple has found the missing link in today’s offerings

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
Now that AT&T has cancelled my $90 ATV4K order :mad:, I will not be eligible for the free year even though I own a sh!tload of Apple devices (and bought an iPad just days before the deadline). I am interested in the shows and plan to subscribe, but I'll wait until more episodes are available.
It would have been nice for this to be free as long as you have a device on Apple Care.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
It appears I am the odd man out, paying €5 a month and having just and only watched “ the morning show” hope that shows like this are only the beginning, Jennifer Aniston definitely needs an award for her part As the nutty woman and compared to the garbage being pumped out by Netflix let’s hope Apple has found the missing link in today’s offerings

Morning show is decent. I won’t be handing back my Netflix sub for it though. Dark, The OA, Elite, Money Heist, 13 reasons etc are just a handful of the NF originals to whet my appetite last year. I know it comes down to folks tastes and if apple can produce quality similar then I’ll stand corrected

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014

Likewise. I'm also a paying customer and so far I'm enjoying all the content immensely.

Reactions: iOS Geek

An english man in vic

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
Thoroughly enjoyed OA season 1, didn’t see the plot in season 2 though, everyone over here in France raves about the heist but I cannot get into it, so as you say it’s down to taste, just received a text saying episode 4 of the morning show is now available so hope it lives up to my expectations, I’ll let you know

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
I was pretty sure I would not pay for this, at least not for the moment. But having seen the first four episodes of The Morning Show and For all Mankind and some of Dickinson, I‘m suddenly considering a subscription. Or maybe I‘ll just buy another Apple TV 4K. Looks like I need an additional HomeKit hub anyway ...

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
I was pretty sure I would not pay for this, at least not for the moment. But having seen the first four episodes of The Morning Show and For all Mankind and some of Dickinson, I‘m suddenly considering a subscription. Or maybe I‘ll just buy another Apple TV 4K. Looks like I need an additional HomeKit hub anyway ...
Get ready to be told off by UnrealWhale for seeing value in something he doesn’t.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
Get ready to be told off by UnrealWhale for seeing value in something he doesn’t.

Right, if you can objectively justified the value in these purchases then i wouldn't have anything to say. However, you can't. You're only defense is "because i want to" which, hey, that's all fine, but it doesn't negate the fact that apple is underdelivering on value for your dollar.

Most grown adults can have a conversation about these things in a clear headed way, but it's hard talking to loyalists that just say "oh because i have the money" .

Reminds me...i was talking to a friend about this today and i asked him if he was going to subscribe, and he laughed in my face and said "why? if i only like 1 of the 4 shows? I might as well just torrent it"

which begs the question- apple has to know people will just torrent 1 or 2 shows if they are only offering 4. This happens a lot with HBO where people rather just torrent the 1 show they actually want to watch, the must see. Services like Netflix, Prime, and Hulu offer so much that they justify the price even in the face of illegal downloads.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Right, if you can objectively justified the value in these purchases then i wouldn't have anything to say. However, you can't. You're only defense is "because i want to" which, hey, that's all fine, but it doesn't negate the fact that apple is underdelivering on value for your dollar.

Most grown adults can have a conversation about these things in a clear headed way, but it's hard talking to loyalists that just say "oh because i have the money" .

Reminds me...i was talking to a friend about this today and i asked him if he was going to subscribe, and he laughed in my face and said "why? if i only like 1 of the 4 shows? I might as well just torrent it"

which begs the question- apple has to know people will just torrent 1 or 2 shows if they are only offering 4. This happens a lot with HBO where people rather just torrent the 1 show they actually want to watch, the must see. Services like Netflix, Prime, and Hulu offer so much that they justify the price even in the face of illegal downloads.
I want to watch the Morning Show and For All Mankind. I don't want to pirate it. I therefore, pay $5. That is my justification. In my world, if I want something, I pay for it. What greater justification is needed?

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
Right, if you can objectively justified the value in these purchases then i wouldn't have anything to say. However, you can't.

It seems like you’re unable to accept „I want to watch <insert show of own liking here>“ as a valid reason.

It’s all about personal taste. You might not like any of the offerings, but others do. So for them, there is value. Or maybe we have just different standards on what is appropriate and what’s not.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Wow. You’re a character. No one here has assumed it will be worth it, we’re saying even in its current form, it is worth it. To you, maybe not. To me, yes. I earn more than enough money to not miss $5, even if that only translates into a few hours of TV per week.

I’m retired and on a fixed, but not poverty level, income. The money I spend on Netflix, ATV+, Disney+, and Broadway HD is not going to make a dent in my budget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.