Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I only see Apple TV+ content in the Apple TV+ section. Unless you mean in 'related'.

I mean this.

110bdd25b6310b0a6c69460a60b92999.jpg

In the TV Plus section there is content which is not available in the subscription yet it is shown and when you tap on it it asks to pay.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
That isn't in the ATV+ section, though? That's the Watch Now section of the TV app. In which the ATV+ section resides. It's even in your screen grab. Anyway never mind.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Because there is a difference between “I don’t like this show” and “if I don’t like this show, it must mean that nobody else likes this show as well. It sucks, Apple sucks and Apple is doomed”.

Again, why does it matter to you? Do you have the Apple TV logo tattooed on your forehead? If so, I understand then why you care so much about having confirmation from other sources ?

It appears to be the same story all over again. Products that seem to be reviled here (think Apple Watch and AirPods and well, pretty much anything Apple does, now that I think about it) are loved by basically everyone else not here, and I think there is a lesson here which bears reminding.

It only appears that way because you are overly emotional about online communities, and maybe you’ve been here too long. You should try other forums before thinking MR is the only place with that mindset. I think you need to surround yourself with people with similar emotions and mind

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
People will pay for this next year, it will have tons of movies and new Shows.

Honestly that is my plan as long as the price is still low. If the price hikes up next year I will not pay as I have other streaming services I don’t want to lose.

TohMac

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Somewhere in the Universe
I have seen the four main shows outside, all of which I could have lived without. I have a new mac and am entitled to a free year but dont feel apple tv is worth the upgrade to Catalina. Therefore by the time I do upgrade I am not sure I will bother to use it.

Best part of the Morning show however is Witherspoons acting. Well done.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
The section is there but paid content is mixed in with the free one. I just opened the app and right below the free TV shows it showed me “Destruction Los Angeles” but it was paid. On Netflix, anything I see is viewable without extra cash.

I think you may be misunderstanding the difference between the TV app itself and the TV+ Channel. Netflix is a specific streaming service, while the TV app is an aggregator app that pulls in and displays content from many different services (but not Netflix).

A subscription to TV+ does not get one access to content from all those other services (such as HBO, Starz or the iTunes Store). It only gets one access to the TV+ content. In this case See, For All Mankind, The Morning Show, etc.

To access Tv+ ONLY content scroll down in the Watch Now tab until you see the “Available Apple TV Channels” section and select the TV+ icon. This will show you ONLY TV+ content with no other content mixed in.

Reactions: Mr.C and Jim Lahey

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
No, thank God...

The shows have already been renewed for Season 2's:

You just know it that the seasons will start after most people's free year is over...

We'll have to see what happens next year, as Disney+ will also be in full-swing.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The real question ought to be - do you see enough people subscribing to make TV+ profitable in the end? I am willing to bet that it will be by 2022 (3 years). Magic number I am looking at here is 40 million subscribers. Shouldn’t be an issue for Apple.

You’ve said this more than once. You’ve even said Apple will have a 2 million budget per year going forward for atv costs. (2 million doesn’t even pay the actors).

I think you’ve left out a few zeroes. Don’t you mean billion? And 40 mil paid users a year is just 200 mil revenue for Apple in a year. How does this begin to pay for at least 6 billion in expenses this year plus at least 2 billion a year afterwards?

I’m sure Apple will even have a hit or two. But this service isn’t profitable on its own and never will be. But apple isn’t stupid. This leads me to think Apple has other reasons whether it’s selling 3rd party services or trying to remain relevant in streaming and living room (the number of Apple TV’s in living rooms is a very small number compared to amazon, roku, Xbox, etc). Now Apple has an app on these boxes.

I think it’s very important to acknowledge that Apple is just as happy with some buying an hbo channel for example vs buying an atv+ sub.

So is Disney+ (which is integrated in tv app) competition? Nope. Apple considers them partners. It adds to tv app. It adds to apple revenues from selling Disney. I think many simply lack understanding this. Apple isn’t competing with these guys. So people are wasting breath with atv+ vs Disney arguments and which is better. Apple sells both. Atv+ only exists to get you to use the atv app.

Apples main weapon is iTunes payments, it’s billion+ customers, and getting 30%. If you think atv+ sucks and Disney rules then Apple is glad to sell you a Disney sub instead.

Reactions: Aydy

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You’ve said this more than once. You’ve even said Apple will have a 2 million budget per year going forward for atv costs. (2 million doesn’t even pay the actors).

I think you’ve left out a few zeroes. Don’t you mean billion? And 40 mil paid users a year is just 200 mil revenue for Apple in a year. How does this begin to pay for at least 6 billion in expenses this year plus at least 2 billion a year afterwards?

I’m sure Apple will even have a hit or two. But this service isn’t profitable on its own and never will be. But apple isn’t stupid. This leads me to think Apple has other reasons whether it’s selling 3rd party services or trying to remain relevant in streaming and living room (the number of Apple TV’s in living rooms is a very small number compared to amazon, roku, Xbox, etc). Now Apple has an app on these boxes.

I think it’s very important to acknowledge that Apple is just as happy with some buying an hbo channel for example vs buying an atv+ sub.

So is Disney+ (which is integrated in tv app) competition? Nope. Apple considers them partners. It adds to tv app. It adds to apple revenues from selling Disney. I think many simply lack understanding this. Apple isn’t competing with these guys. So people are wasting breath with atv+ vs Disney arguments and which is better. Apple sells both. Atv+ only exists to get you to use the atv app.

Apples main weapon is iTunes payments, it’s billion+ customers, and getting 30%. If you think atv+ sucks and Disney rules then Apple is glad to sell you a Disney sub instead.

You are right. I meant to say 2 billion a year. TV+ is $50 a year, so 2,000,000,000 divided by 50 gets you 40 million?

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
You are right. I meant to say 2 billion a year. TV+ is $50 a year, so 2,000,000,000 divided by 50 gets you 40 million?

Oops. You’re right. Was thinking monthly for a strange reason. Much of the break even then depends on what Apple spends in future years and how many trials they convert. I get the impression Apple hasn’t really decided or if they’ll tell us the numbers.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
i watched the 4th episodes of both See and Morning Show and i'm stunned to say that they both get progressively worse.

These shows are as good as the Apple tv touch remote.

They botched this thing bad. We'll see what the future holds but if it continues down this path i cannot see it being a success, like, at all.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
i watched the 4th episodes of both See and Morning Show and i'm stunned to say that they both get progressively worse.

These shows are as good as the Apple tv touch remote.

They botched this thing bad. We'll see what the future holds but if it continues down this path i cannot see it being a success, like, at all.
Because your taste = the world’s taste.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
Because your taste = the world’s taste.
At my age+the huge library of tv/movies i have seen in my lifetime i think i can say with objectivity what is or is not a good show.

I'm not saying they are awful, but so far they are not great, nor even decent. They're mediocre at best, propped up by star power/production value . It seems most of the respected critics (i emphasize respected because there's so many crappy so called critics these days) confirm my view.

• Haha
Reactions: iOS Geek

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
At my age+the huge library of tv/movies i have seen in my lifetime i think i can say with objectivity what is or is not a good show.

I'm not saying they are awful, but so far they are not great, nor even decent. They're mediocre at best, propped up by star power/production value . It seems most of the respected critics (i emphasize respected because there's so many crappy so called critics these days) confirm my view.

You can only say what you think is a good show. Your opinion does not apply to anyone else. No opinion is ‘objective’.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

Dude it’s got an Apple logo beside it. That alone gets people to defend these to the very end. If these shows were on Netflix chances are you probably never hear about them. But I still wonder who besides Apple would green light See with a dumb premise and high budget. This kind of decision making doesn’t bode well.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
Dude it’s got an Apple logo beside it. That alone gets people to defend these to the very end. If these shows were on Netflix chances are you probably never hear about them. But I still wonder who besides Apple would green light See with a dumb premise and high budget. This kind of decision making doesn’t bode well.

For what it's worth i appreciate bold risk taking on sci fi type shows like See. But i agree that it was probably never going to work, the premise is so ridiculously absurd. What happens is that most of the audience will be picking apart how illogical all of it is rather than letting themselves be entertained. They had to have known that, right?

I feel like a lot of these 4 shows has to do with 'wokeness'. Each of the 4 shows reflect some type of ultra-liberal perspective so it would seem that they greenlit these specifically because of it which is a recipe for disaster

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Right, if you can objectively justified the value in these purchases then i wouldn't have anything to say. However, you can't. You're only defense is "because i want to" which, hey, that's all fine, but it doesn't negate the fact that apple is underdelivering on value for your dollar.

Most grown adults can have a conversation about these things in a clear headed way, but it's hard talking to loyalists that just say "oh because i have the money" .

Reminds me...i was talking to a friend about this today and i asked him if he was going to subscribe, and he laughed in my face and said "why? if i only like 1 of the 4 shows? I might as well just torrent it"

which begs the question- apple has to know people will just torrent 1 or 2 shows if they are only offering 4. This happens a lot with HBO where people rather just torrent the 1 show they actually want to watch, the must see. Services like Netflix, Prime, and Hulu offer so much that they justify the price even in the face of illegal downloads.

lol the irony of you in this thread claiming to have a clear headed conversation.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
How can anyone have an "objective" view on the value of a fictional TV show? This person is either intentionally trolling or just not very smart. Time to let the thread die.

Reactions: iOS Geek

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
How can anyone have an "objective" view on the value of a fictional TV show? This person is either intentionally trolling or just not very smart. Time to let the thread die.

This may come as a shock to you but you indeed can measure someone's taste in things.

Though i do agree it may be a pointless endeavor for a Michelin Star chef to argue with someone why their precious popeyes chicken sandwich isn't exactly the pinnacle of culinary arts.....

Reactions: cardfan

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
This may come as a shock to you but you indeed can measure someone's taste in things.

Though i do agree it may be a pointless endeavor for a Michelin Star chef to argue with someone why their precious popeyes chicken sandwich isn't exactly the pinnacle of culinary arts.....
Why did you even bother creating a thread asking a question if you already have a predetermined view and are being argumentative/snotty with others who disagree? Others have said they enjoy the shows. You tell them they're wrong. You were never interested in any meaningful conversation you just wanted to crap on Apple. Cool, you don't like the service or the shows offered. Someone else may like the shows and be willing to pay $5/month to watch them. Why is this such a personal issue for you? I don't see many Apple apologists in here, but I do see a couple Apple haters for sure..

For the record I do not subscribe to Apple TV+ and do not intend to. I don't see the harm or issue with other people subscribing to them though. You seem like someone that likes to smell their own farts though based on your last couple of postings. But I do have to ask. If you hate the shows so much, why do you continue to watch them....? You have watched 4 episodes of 2 different shows. I imagine they are hour long episodes? That's 8 hours of your life "wasted". For someone so concerned with how others are spending their money you sure seem to have no problem wasting your time.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I have watched 2 episodes of See so far. Although I only sorta like the storyline. At this point, Disney+ would be more likely to get my $7/month than Apple would.

To be fair, I have not seen For All Mankind nor any of the other shows that I have heard are better yet...

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
I have watched 2 episodes of See so far. Although I only sorta like the storyline. At this point, Disney+ would be more likely to get my $7/month than Apple would.

To be fair, I have not seen For All Mankind nor any of the other shows that I have heard are better yet...

we got disney+ free as well with our verizone service.

unless you have kids, or are truly obsessed with marvel/star wars i also dont' see it being a great service unless their new 'original' shows are decent.

however, for $13 which includes hulu and espn+ i think is a good deal.

Why did you even bother creating a thread asking a question if you already have a predetermined view and are being argumentative/snotty with others who disagree? Others have said they enjoy the shows. You tell them they're wrong. You were never interested in any meaningful conversation you just wanted to crap on Apple. Cool, you don't like the service or the shows offered. Someone else may like the shows and be willing to pay $5/month to watch them. Why is this such a personal issue for you? I don't see many Apple apologists in here, but I do see a couple Apple haters for sure..

For the record I do not subscribe to Apple TV+ and do not intend to. I don't see the harm or issue with other people subscribing to them though. You seem like someone that likes to smell their own farts though based on your last couple of postings. But I do have to ask. If you hate the shows so much, why do you continue to watch them....? You have watched 4 episodes of 2 different shows. I imagine they are hour long episodes? That's 8 hours of your life "wasted". For someone so concerned with how others are spending their money you sure seem to have no problem wasting your time.

no one gave any real compelling argument other than "i like the shows"

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.

unless you have kids, or are truly obsessed with marvel/star wars i also dont' see it being a great service unless their new 'original' shows are decent.

There is no reason more compelling than “I like the shows”

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago

.......It is a tv show service..... What other compelling reason is needed...?

Are you just not going to address any of the other things I said... or..?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.