Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
More specifically, the higher end features of UE 5 (Lumen and Nanite) and newer are broken on the Mac, while UE 4 is solid.
Not really, UE4 isn't solid. There are still way more bugs in the macOS version than Windows. Freezes, shortcuts not working after a while, crashes. Some can be fixed by unplugging and reconnecting displays, others require a restart. Some plug-ins like Vivox not working properly, which can depend on used audio-devices. There are also issues importing older projects (say 4.25 to 4.27) which might require manual editing of the tool chain configuration.

I'm not saying UE on Windows is bug-free, but the amount of bugs in the macOS version (both 4 and 5) is much, much larger than Windows.

nasmdhgf

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2023
Most NVIDIA graphics cards' computing power has been applied to mining operations, and the game has been neglected. Therefore, their karma has come now, and many people no longer plan to purchase NVIDIA graphics cards. Because the performance did not improve and instead castrated, I ended up spending more money to buy a pile of junk hardware.

jayryco

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2022
Not really, UE4 isn't solid. There are still way more bugs in the macOS version than Windows. Freezes, shortcuts not working after a while, crashes. Some can be fixed by unplugging and reconnecting displays, others require a restart. Some plug-ins like Vivox not working properly, which can depend on used audio-devices. There are also issues importing older projects (say 4.25 to 4.27) which might require manual editing of the tool chain configuration.

I'm not saying UE on Windows is bug-free, but the amount of bugs in the macOS version (both 4 and 5) is much, much larger than Windows.
Still? Is is not a good thing for gamers that UE5 has native support? Even only to an extent? Or would it be more significant and applicable to developers? Would devs even want to use the MacOS version if it's buggy?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Still? Is is not a good thing for gamers that UE5 has native support? Even only to an extent? Or would it be more significant and applicable to developers? Would devs even want to use the MacOS version if it's buggy?
I wonder if UE4/5 being buggy pushes folk to use Unity instead (macOS is still a first class citizen in Unity right?).

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Well, do devs want to use the Unreal Editor on a Mac? I'm not too sure, given that most are using Windows machines and then eventually make the jump to macOS (or Linux for that matter) for platform specific optimizations. So in other words, only if they have to.
I wonder if UE4/5 being buggy pushes folk to use Unity instead (macOS is still a first class citizen in Unity right?).
Yes, it does. I (and anyone in my team of course) switched to Unity for some stuff. It doesn't work for everything, so we still have to use UE for some projects. But we've pretty much gone full Windows on that side. It's not like Unity on macOS is bug free either. The communication in ML Agents toolkit is also still broken, has been for years. They tried to fix it a couple of times only for Apple to break it again with a new OS version. While not ideal, it's in a much better state than UE.

Let me clarify though. Most of these bugs can probably be worked around with time and effort. The problem is, most things work fine in Windows and costs "resources" in macOS (or Linux). That used to be different, albeit a long time ago.

nasmdhgf

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2023
I mentioned on another thread that entering the Mac with UE5 does not have any benefits because most developers do not use the Mac to develop AAA games. They prefer to develop games on desktop computers with powerful resources, such as the Win operating system, and then export them to the Mac through UE5's metal interface. They only need to borrow a Mac laptop for testing and publishing, and do not need to completely redesign the game on the Mac, That's very frustrating because developing games is not just about releasing them on the Mac platform. It needs to be exported to all platforms, including Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, Nintendo, Sony, Xbox, and more. It must be that Windows has an advantage because they have better support for games.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
He should switch already and enjoy by default dynamic resolution scaling on consoles.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I'm lost on this... what game is it? Is it the original from 2016? Or part 2 from 2019? Or a remake? Part 3? "Layers of Fear" came out in 2016 and this has the same name... :confused: I can't remember much of the original and never played part 2.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm lost on this... what game is it? Is it the original from 2016? Or part 2 from 2019? Or a remake? Part 3? "Layers of Fear" came out in 2016 and this has the same name... :confused: I can't remember much of the original and never played part 2.
Remake. I think it is just the first game.

Reactions: GrumpyCoder

Nugat Trailers

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2021
The Layers of Fear remake, according to Engadget, is a full remake of 1 and 2, plus DLC and an original character.

It's being handled by Bloober Team, who are also doing The Medium for Mac, announced in Feb.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The Layers of Fear remake, according to Engadget, is a full remake of 1 and 2, plus DLC and an original character.

It's being handled by Bloober Team, who are also doing The Medium for Mac, announced in Feb.
Yeah my Google search "lied" and said it was the first game. That is what I get for not just looking at the Steam page.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Reactions: Homy

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
No I’m taking the stance of why bother anymore with PC gaming. I can get all three consoles twice and still have money left over. And consoles performance is a bit better than PC as of late.
Because of the lack of DirectX 12 support for AS Macs , I am now looking at PC gaming laptops which seem to have become a lot more prevalent in todays marketplace. Considering the market rate prices for multiple brands, the example of console and a suitable display don't seem to be cost advantage towards consoles. I thought about a larger desktop but they seem less popular as being sold.

I did compare the FPS that like the Xbox series X does with D4 vs Gaming laptops using 3060/3070 seems like the consoles are at a disadvantage after being around 3 years.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Unless you absolutely must have portability you're much better off with SFF PC that's more capable, has lower fan noise because it's not space restricted and better value.

Reactions: Realityck

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I did compare the FPS that like the Xbox series X does with D4 vs Gaming laptops using 3060/3070 seems like the consoles are at a disadvantage after being around 3 years.
Depends entirely on the GPU you get. With a somewhat modern GPU I can't see the consoles at an advantage other than they're closed systems dedicated to gaming only. With Windows you have to bother install updates and drivers. As for performance, I'd see an advantage with PCs with 40x0 cards. Consoles are certainly cheaper.

Personally when it comes to Laptops (we have a bunch of Lenovo and Razers) I'm not running games on them unless I need to be mobile for demonstration purposes. You can always connect a PC (or Laptop) to a TV and use it like a "console" though. I do that for story driven games. But anything that is competitive or better played with keyboard and mouse, I stick to the monitors on my desk.

Reactions: Realityck

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Depends entirely on the GPU you get. With a somewhat modern GPU I can't see the consoles at an advantage other than they're closed systems dedicated to gaming only. With Windows you have to bother install updates and drivers. As for performance, I'd see an advantage with PCs with 40x0 cards. Consoles are certainly cheaper.

Personally when it comes to Laptops (we have a bunch of Lenovo and Razers) I'm not running games on them unless I need to be mobile for demonstration purposes. You can always connect a PC (or Laptop) to a TV and use it like a "console" though. I do that for story driven games. But anything that is competitive or better played with keyboard and mouse, I stick to the monitors on my desk.
Good points. I was looking that direction because of minimalistic perspective dedicated to playing only games not being used for anything else. I had looked at towers and certainly most gaming displays are cheap enough, still deciding. Some of this has to do with side by side deployment on large desk and using space better.

Reactions: GrumpyCoder

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
A thought occurred to me today. Perhaps we have been thinking about the VR/AR headset wrong. Maybe Apple has reimagined the gaming console and what will actually be announced is at WWDC is a new gaming console?

Reactions: Homy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.