Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelo3232

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2016
0BD6EF26-966C-4E45-B18F-43996F116E09.jpeg
I should clarify, it’s not really my phone, I got the 8 plus and this was for the wife..... she’s not a tech nerd so I ordered this to test the waters I have a feeling it’s going back and I’m getting her an 8 plus as well.

1. Face ID- Works great no issue, frankly it’s impressive very impressive.

2. Screen is overrated. With True Tone on, there is minimal difference between the two. I was expecting some 4K VS HD difference, it simply isn’t there. The screens are both are good, but the X isn’t “OH MY GOD” better, at least to this 42 year old’s eyes.

3. After 3.2 years of plus sized phones, this thing feels like a toy and is too small. The screen may be the “bigger” but it doesn’t view that way and it certainly doesn’t look that way with all the apps that haven’t been built for this screen yet. What’s worse, photos and videos I took on the 6 plus, 6splus, and 7plus, dont even accomodate for the “notch” so I have to pinch and zoom videos I shot on those devices to go “full screen”. When you eliminate the notch from picture or video viewing the screen is uncanningly small... I phone 4 small.

4. My muscle memory grip has my hand always covering the Camera lense coming from the plus size models to this.

5. Animoji is cool even for a 42 year old I’m impressed, I sent the poop one 100 times today, but in a month it’s a gimmick, not a feature.

6. I’m attaching a picture of my staple Guinness and devices so I can’t be accused of not owning the device (seems a commonality lately for people who don’t like the assessment this thing isn’t the best device Apple ever created)

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I should clarify, it’s not really my phone, I got the 8 plus and this was for the wife..... she’s not a tech nerd so I ordered this to test the waters I have a feeling it’s going back and I’m getting her an 8 plus as well.

1. Face ID- Works great no issue, frankly it’s impressive very impressive.

2. Screen is overrated. With True Tone on, there is minimal difference between the two. I was expecting some 4K VS HD difference, it simply isn’t there. The screens are both are good, but the X isn’t “OH MY GOD” better, at least to this 42 year old’s eyes.

3. After 3.2 years of plus sized phones, this thing feels like a toy and is too small. The screen may be the “bigger” but it doesn’t view that way and it certainly doesn’t look that way with all the apps that haven’t been built for this screen yet. What’s worse, photos and videos I took on the 6 plus, 6splus, and 7plus, dont even accomodate for the “notch” so I have to pinch and zoom videos I shot on those devices to go “full screen”. When you eliminate the notch from picture or video viewing the screen is uncanningly small... I phone 4 small.

4. My muscle memory grip has my hand always covering the Camera lense coming from the plus size models to this.

5. Animoji is cool even for a 42 year old I’m impressed, I sent the poop one 100 times today, but in a month it’s a gimmick, not a feature.

6. I’m attaching a picture of my staple Guinness and devices so I can’t be accused of not owning the device (seems a commonality lately for people who don’t like the assessment this thing isn’t the best device Apple ever created)
what does she think?
i mean, it's her phone, right?

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I had the same issue with a finger on the camera, but I think I have already trained myself to place the finger somewhere else. I disagree about the feel of the screen size. To me, the 6 and 7 always felt small compared to the Plus version, but this one feels only physically small. From the standpoint of the screen, this phone does not give me the small vibe.

Honestly, I think your cons are legit. Having said that, I am not seeing why you "hate" the phone though. Seems more like disappointment.

steelo3232

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2016
I had the same issue with a finger on the camera, but I think I have already trained myself to place the finger somewhere else. I disagree about the feel of the screen size. To me, the 6 and 7 always felt small compared to the Plus version, but this one feels only physically small. From the standpoint of the screen, this phone does not give me the small vibe.

Honestly, I think your cons are legit. Having said that, I am not seeing why you "hate" the phone though. Seems more like disappointment.
That’s a really fair point, hate is too strong a word and probably not applicable in my feelings, disappointment should have been the adjective, fair assessment

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
That’s a really fair point, hate is too strong a word and probably not applicable in my feelings, disappointment should have been the adjective, fair assessment

I say give it some more time and try to be open about it. It may not be for you, or her, but I have to say, for myself, it is better than I anticipated. I actually went in thinking I would be underwhelmed for many of the reason you stated and some more, and I have to say, after 5 hours with it, this might be my favorite iPhone. I really like the direction they are taking the UI.

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
I would let your wife try it. As a woman with smaller hands and tiny lady-pant pockets, I am incredibly appreciative of a large screen in a smaller body. I always liked the size of the plus screen but never bit because the size of the body just did not work for my hands (or my near useless pockets!)

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
It's too early to truly love it or feel disappointed by it right now.

The battery hasn't even been calibrated yet. That's why I enjoy Nick Ackerman and PocketNow's After the Buzz videos.

Everyone is getting high and is either rolling on E or bad trippin' on acid. We all know Steve Jobs was proud using LSD.

Just wait a week or two. Then more reasonable comments will appear. Enjoying that new car scent until you stop caring trying to wash it once it is gone.

steelo3232

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2016
I would let your wife try it. As a woman with smaller hands and tiny lady-pant pockets, I am incredibly appreciative of a large screen in a smaller body. I always liked the size of the plus screen but never bit because the size of the body just did not work for my hands (or my near useless pockets!)
Really good point... really good point... on many levels.... what men wear and women wear totally comes into play in form factor... as logical and true as that is, I never thought of giving credence to that. My wife is pretty technology nonchalant... pics, text, calls, and web.... this might be right up her alley even though I’m thinking it’s a let down.. thanks for the perspective on gender..... I truly overlooked it.... might I mention this is the first time in a long time I have actually posted on here and in two hours have had civil and genuine excellent conversations with folks... all the comments have been insightful and intuitive, it’s damn refreshing.

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
OLED is the best. You wouldn't buy a LCD Tv in 2017.
Wait until next year. When the Plus model comes out. Hey you gave it a try. You like what you like.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Go big or go home
Folks that crave ironing board size phones my not be happy with iPhone X
However my wife who spurned The Plus as too large for her hands is now eyeing my IPhone X. Will it last till thanksgiving ?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It's too early to truly love it or feel disappointed by it right now.

The battery hasn't even been calibrated yet. That's why I enjoy Nick Ackerman and PocketNow's After the Buzz videos.

Everyone is getting high and is either rolling on E or bad trippin' on acid. We all know Steve Jobs was proud using LSD.

Just wait a week or two. Then more reasonable comments will appear. Enjoying that new car scent until you stop caring trying to wash it once it is gone.
Overall this is a good phone. Whether it is worth $1000 for most remains to be seen. Here are my early thoughts.
I don’t miss the home button. The new gestures are just as easy.
The screen is nice. There is noticeable blue shift at night at angles but that’s to be expected. I doubt it’s a problem during the day.
FaceID is great. It’s like not having a password. It took me a few tries to get I to activate at first, but once I got it set up it works extremely well.
I’ll be happy when the iPhone XIV or whatever can get rid of the notch but it isn’t too annoying. I’ll get used to it.
[doublepost=1509771441][/doublepost]
Go big or go home
Folks that crave ironing board size phones my not be happy with iPhone X
However my wife who spurned The Plus as too large for her hands is now eyeing my IPhone X. Will it last till thanksgiving ?
The X is great. The screen of the Plus in a phone just slightly larger but heavier than the 7/8.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
All said and done with Apple care and all that my shiny new 256 GB iphone x is hovering into the $1,400 side of the fence, is it worth it?

Think before you answer!

I have to say in this day and age, yea I guess it is.

My phone is my life, it's near me all day, it's how I market my business, take great photos all day without lugging a camera around, it's how I communicate with everyone I know via text, talk, email, and now animated emoji's..lol. My phone seriously is a very important piece of my life for a very long time, before the iphone it was the Berry that kept me connected, and before that a sharp thing called a Razr, yea I'm one of those people that really uses my phone for everything it offers from top to bottom.

Am I in love with the X yet, ehhh I don't know? I miss my 7plus a bit, I know the whole screen size debate, and maybe I could have should have given the 8 plus a half a look...lol

I just couldn't, I'm one of those latest and greatest type of people, and most likely in a week or so I will be fully used to the smaller foot print of the phone, and hopefully the battery in the X calibrates nicely and I wont miss the plus size battery I have gotten used to for the last few years.

Some may jump ship after a few days or weeks and run back to the plus model, most likely not me, and if I'm asked this minute if this is the best iphone yet, and is it worth the price tag (for me) I would have to answer almost a complete yes, because at the end of the day the pros almost certainly out weigh the cons for all the ease an iphone brings into my life!

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011

I'm with you on the screen. I keep looking at it and can't really see a huge difference between the screen on the X and the one on the 8 Plus. I expected a dramatic difference. The screen on the Galaxy S8 is clearly better than the one on the X.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I don't have an X but I'm vicariously following along and I'm a bit puzzled by the size complaint being the overall dimensions are smaller than a plus size. Isn't this a good thing? The screen is actually bigger(forget the notch)than a plus size in a smaller package. Why is this not a win/win? That's the whole idea of bezel reduction, to increase screen real estate while decreasing the size of the package.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I don't have an X but I'm vicariously following along and I'm a bit puzzled by the size complaint being the overall dimensions are smaller than a plus size. Isn't this a good thing? The screen is actually bigger(forget the notch)than a plus size in a smaller package. Why is this not a win/win? That's the whole idea of bezel reduction, to increase screen real estate while decreasing the size of the package.

The iPhone X is almost the exact same size as the Samsung S8. Not as tall as the S8, because S8 has a small bezel, but is slightly wider. Same size screen.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
OLED is the best. You wouldn't buy a LCD Tv in 2017.
Wait until next year. When the Plus model comes out. Hey you gave it a try. You like what you like.

I wouldn't want the notch on my tv screen. It reminds me of my glass screen protector on my old 6s plus. I hate the look of the notch. I will not get used to it on a $1000 phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.