Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
good thing im not gettin rid of my Plus...will keep it and upgrade to the X Plus size if they ever come out with one. the keyboard bottom row is utterly hideous..my girlfriend who is absolutely in love with Apple products even said that paired with the notch looks ugly..i agree with her.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
good thing im not gettin rid of my Plus...will keep it and upgrade to the X Plus size if they ever come out with one. the keyboard bottom row is utterly hideous..my girlfriend who is absolutely in love with Apple products even said that paired with the notch looks ugly..i agree with her.
The keyboard is designed that way for a reason. Without the bottom bezel, having the keyboard lower on the screen would make typing very uncomfortable. With that space, it is positioned perfectly.

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
The keyboard is designed that way for a reason. Without the bottom bezel, having the keyboard lower on the screen would make typing very uncomfortable. With that space, it is positioned perfectly.

It's horrible to look at I have no problem typing with the keyboard lower.. actually just give me the option at least to make it lower..cause that's so much space wasted..no to mention no dual pane view in landscape within mail...give us the option to change that as well..I'm now positive an X in the plus size is ultimately coming.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
I'm with you on the screen. I keep looking at it and can't really see a huge difference between the screen on the X and the one on the 8 Plus. I expected a dramatic difference. The screen on the Galaxy S8 is clearly better than the one on the X.
So how is the Galaxy S8 better than the X screen? Is it because its in torch mode???? Where the colors are over saturated.... where everything on the screen looks cartoonish????

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I agree with a lot of what you said, even though I love the phone. I don’t think criticizing the unoptimized apps is fair, nor blaming your muscle memory for how you hold it. Obviously the phone just isn’t for you and next year’s Plus version maybe more to your liking. I’m certain Apple released the 8's along side the X for people with your opinion, which is commendable for Apple then, IMHO.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
So how is the Galaxy S8 better than the X screen? Is it because its in torch mode???? Where the colors are over saturated.... where everything on the screen looks cartoonish????

I've owned both phones. It's just a better, clearer looking screen imo.

Reactions: modernmoments

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
i have No problem with the bottom keyboard “bezel” as I have no desire to develop hand cramps from a super awkward typing experience.

That said, the landscape keyboard is hot garbage compared to the plus...

xvi16yw.jpg

I know I’ve only had it one day, but there seem to be A LOT of concessions vs the Plus.
[doublepost=1509781422][/doublepost]
I've owned both phones. It's just a better, clearer looking screen imo.
I’ve noticed one significant difference between the two...the X doesn’t feel like needles in my eyes after a few minutes.

I’m not sure if it’s still using a PWM backlight like S8, but it’s FAR friendlier on the eyes.

Oh and one more thing! Samsung’s ridiculous overblown whorehouse color gamut makes me want to vomit. :)
[doublepost=1509781635][/doublepost]i have No problem with the bottom keyboard “bezel” as I have no desire to develop hand cramps from a super awkward typing experience.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
i have No problem with the bottom keyboard “bezel” as I have no desire to develop hand cramps from a super awkward typing experience.

xvi16yw.jpg

I know I’ve only had it one day, but there seem to be A LOT of concessions vs the Plus.
[doublepost=1509781422][/doublepost]
I’ve noticed one significant difference between the two...the X doesn’t feel like needles in my eyes after a few minutes.

I’m not sure if it’s still using a PWM backlight like S8, but it’s FAR friendlier on the eyes.

Oh and one more thing! Samsung’s ridiculous overblown whorehouse color gamut makes me want to vomit. :)
[doublepost=1509781635][/doublepost]i have No problem with the bottom keyboard “bezel” as I have no desire to develop hand cramps from a super awkward typing experience.

Whorehouse color gamut

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
I wouldn't want the notch on my tv screen. It reminds me of my glass screen protector on my old 6s plus. I hate the look of the notch. I will not get used to it on a $1000 phone.
If you purchased the X. You can always return. These phones are getting expensive. Look at the pixel and the note 8. 900,1000 $ with tax. They’re other choices out there. Maybe a Budget Phone would be better for you. That is usually my choice for a work phone. $300 to $500. You can get some decent devices. Just not the X.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I’m coming from the 7. The X has the screen of the Plus in a package not much bigger than the 7. As for TrueTone, it is subtle. That’s just because Apple already had great screens.

Actually the screen of the Plus is larger than the Iphone 10. You cannot just look at the diagonal size because the aspect ratio is different. Face ID works but touch ID is much faster. I dont like having to position my face to unlock my phone. Feels like a beta phone not ready for prime time to me. Side by side my X screen is almost the same size as my iphone 8 in portrait mode.

Reactions: jbachandouris

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I have both the 8 Plus and the X.

-Hate the notch. Trying hard to ignore it, but I am very detail oriented and my eye goes straight to it.
-The keyboard width is annoying, but not a deal breaker.
-Not loving the gestures, but in time that may change.
-I wish the screen was wider.
-Face ID works great. It has never failed: with or without glasses and even in the dark this morning.
-I am 9 days from 50 and I also would prefer more screen real estate for bigger text size.
-Two buttons to power off? I power off every night out of habit. Pressing power and volume down is needed to power off. Strange choice.

The plan was to give my 8 Plus to my wife, but she wants an iPhone 6. We argued over the fact that the 7 and 8 are the exact same size. The 8 Plus would be my daughter's first phone (she's only 16). I'm thinking I'll wait for a buy one get one free on either the 7 or the 8. At $56/month, the X isn't screaming 'keep me.'

Reactions: AppleChic76

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
We all want an iPhone X Plus, but would you pay $1200 for it?

We don’t all want an X Plus. I certainly don’t. I had the 6+ and the 7+. I loved the better and bigger screen and cameras the + models had, but I absolutely loathed the size. It felt like a brick in my pocket. The minuscule size difference in the screen size is absolutely worth it for the much smaller device. Bring on the X plus and I’ll stick with the smaller model.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
for many the x is the perfect size in between from the 8 and 8 plus

would I buy the larger size? for sure but this size is very good for most tasks and if you have an iPad and MacBook like me is a bigger screen needed that much?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
We don’t all want an X Plus. I certainly don’t. I had the 6+ and the 7+. I loved the better and bigger screen and cameras the + models had, but I absolutely loathed the size. It felt like a brick in my pocket. The minuscule size difference in the screen size is absolutely worth it for the much smaller device. Bring on the X plus and I’ll stick with the smaller model.
Funny. I actually miss the brick in my pocket. I am still on the fence, but I prefer the larger.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
Funny. I actually miss the brick in my pocket. I am still on the fence, but I prefer the larger.

Yeah I hear you there. I have smaller hands so this fits much better, and I hated the fact that people would walk up to me and say “is that a brick in your pocket or are you just happen to see me?”. On top of that, it was impossible to sit down with that brick in my front pocket lol.

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
I’m gonna be honest, I am so glad I never have to use a Plus again. And I never ever thought I’d say that.

The iPhone 7/8 are so tiny that I never would think I’d enjoy downgrading to that size after using a plus for so long, but god it feels so nice to reliablely use one hand for everything. The size of the screen is amazing.

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
I'm with you on the screen. I keep looking at it and can't really see a huge difference between the screen on the X and the one on the 8 Plus. I expected a dramatic difference. The screen on the Galaxy S8 is clearly better than the one on the X.

That was a no-brainer for those who did their homework before a huge purchase on basically the same item. S8 screen resolution is ridiculous and way too damn bright at 100%. Half way on the brightness setting was perfect for my eyes with the s8+

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I compared the displays with an 8plus and when the 8plus had a significantly higher brightness setting than the X the difference in the display was barely noticeable. However, when you had the brightness settings on each phone to the same level the X turns out to have a way better screen. As far as the S8+ goes my roommate has one and the display is oversaturated and the color looks unnatural...even with the natural settings flipped on. The X actually has a better display than the S8+ in my comparison with it. With S8 Normal reds look almost neon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple Fritter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.