Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Yes, but they fully admit at some point there will be minimal burn in. I know it’s inherent to OLED but for 1000 bucks......guess time will tell.

I wonder what would be considered fair use that wont cause any burn in?

Skallies06

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
I just wanted to pop in this thread to maybe help those people who aren’t seeing a huge difference with the OLED screen.

I also didn’t really see much of a difference when I first got the phone yesterday, and honestly for stuff like surfing the web, Instagram, Facebook etc I still don’t really notice much difference.

Last night I decided to play an hdr movie from iTunes, and that was the first time I saw how much better this screen is compared to my 7+. I played the movie Alien Isolation and picked a dark night scene with fire in the background, and it looks amazing on the X. I paused during the same point of the scene that had fire blazing in the background on both the X and my old 7+, and the difference is pretty drastic. The 7+ screen is really good, and compares favorably imo when viewing normal material, but do yourself a favor and try to find some hdr content to play. You’ll see the difference. 7+ looks washed out in those circumstances.

Reactions: bhodinut

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
They’ll sell millions upon millions of them at that price as well so I don’t see any reason why an XL iPhone X would be priced any lower then $1500. The shareholders have to be pleased with Tim’s performance this year.

You can't help but wonder tho... when will it end? At what point will the Apple diehards refuse to be bent over by Apple any longer?

$1500? $2000? $2500?

Apple is gonna keep on milkin' the cash cow until customers just say no. I already did with my computer... building a state of the art PC for a lot less than I'd pay Apple for an iMac with 18 month old hardware.

LOL

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The X is a lot better than I expected . Faceid is very very good . Alas the notch is so annoying.

I've been switching between the 7 plus and X and have to admit is still prefer the 7, home button for me is a much better experience. If all my devices were without a home button I would probably adapt quicker but for now the X does not feel like an apple device.

Anyway , it's one very sexy phone. Though still not seeing the value of £1150 :(

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
You can't help but wonder tho... when will it end? At what point will the Apple diehards refuse to be bent over by Apple any longer?

$1500? $2000? $2500?

Apple is gonna keep on milkin' the cash cow until customers just say no. I already did with my computer... building a state of the art PC for a lot less than I'd pay Apple for an iMac with 18 month old hardware.

LOL

That's the thing I'm not sure about. They keep raising them and it has no effect on sales. I would think if sales become softer they would be forced to adjust pricing. I think since the $1000 barrier has been broken with no effect a few hundred more would have little impact.

I don' blame you for building a PC right now. Apple is pretty weak in the desktop PC market right now when it comes to value for the amount spent.

Reactions: TravisPNW

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I just wanted to pop in this thread to maybe help those people who aren’t seeing a huge difference with the OLED screen.

I also didn’t really see much of a difference when I first got the phone yesterday, and honestly for stuff like surfing the web, Instagram, Facebook etc I still don’t really notice much difference.

Last night I decided to play an hdr movie from iTunes, and that was the first time I saw how much better this screen is compared to my 7+. I played the movie Alien Isolation and picked a dark night scene with fire in the background, and it looks amazing on the X. I paused during the same point of the scene that had fire blazing in the background on both the X and my old 7+, and the difference is pretty drastic. The 7+ screen is really good, and compares favorably imo when viewing normal material, but do yourself a favor and try to find some hdr content to play. You’ll see the difference. 7+ looks washed out in those circumstances.
So what’s the point?
This is mostly a portrait phone.
Watching hdr movies on it is last thing most people will do (as statistically proven by posters here).

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Ive owned a 6 plus for 3 years and after today it almost feels a bit too wide. I’m loving the X, really have not been able to put it down today lol

Skallies06

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
So what’s the point?
Watching hdr movies on it is last thing most people will do (as statistically proven by posters here).
Why are you asking me what the point is? I was just pointing out a way to see the differences in the screen. I think with the way Apple calibrates their screens to make them present colors as natural, it’s going to be hard to see the differences unless you’re viewing content that displays a wider spectrum of colors than are displayed when just viewing web pages or scrolling through Facebook.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
View attachment 731897 I should clarify, it’s not really my phone, I got the 8 plus and this was for the wife..... she’s not a tech nerd so I ordered this to test the waters I have a feeling it’s going back and I’m getting her an 8 plus as well.

1. Face ID- Works great no issue, frankly it’s impressive very impressive.

2. Screen is overrated. With True Tone on, there is minimal difference between the two. I was expecting some 4K VS HD difference, it simply isn’t there. The screens are both are good, but the X isn’t “OH MY GOD” better, at least to this 42 year old’s eyes.

3. After 3.2 years of plus sized phones, this thing feels like a toy and is too small. The screen may be the “bigger” but it doesn’t view that way and it certainly doesn’t look that way with all the apps that haven’t been built for this screen yet. What’s worse, photos and videos I took on the 6 plus, 6splus, and 7plus, dont even accomodate for the “notch” so I have to pinch and zoom videos I shot on those devices to go “full screen”. When you eliminate the notch from picture or video viewing the screen is uncanningly small... I phone 4 small.

4. My muscle memory grip has my hand always covering the Camera lense coming from the plus size models to this.

5. Animoji is cool even for a 42 year old I’m impressed, I sent the poop one 100 times today, but in a month it’s a gimmick, not a feature.

6. I’m attaching a picture of my staple Guinness and devices so I can’t be accused of not owning the device (seems a commonality lately for people who don’t like the assessment this thing isn’t the best device Apple ever created)

Hey, I don’t have an X and I don’t have any intention of getting one (not until it is at leat half the price, i.e. never) but I must say that your reasons for disliking it are truly pathetic. From point 3 forward you just don’t make any sense. Like “the screen might be the biggest” but it is “iPhone 4 small”. Uh? Come again? What does this phone objective qualities have to do with your “muscle memory”? You are entitled to dislike it for whatever reasons you want, but please spare me the details.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I am on vacation, so yet to play with mine as it sits on my countertop until I get back, but I have always had the plus from day 1 of offering it ... my wife has a regular size. Every time I use her phone I always wished I had that size although the camera mainly always kept me from going lower. I’m excited to use something more premium than the plus in a form factor of the regular. I think it’s all personal preference obviously, and conversely, my wife always wanted the better camera functions but never could handle the plus size ... so she will enjoy the extra real estate as well as the camera ...

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
So what’s the point?
Right! I think that HDR falls far below 4k in popularity and people don’t really care that much about 4K. Hell plenty of people are still renting DVDs from a redbox. So much content isn’t even in 4K either.

Reactions: bhodinut

steelo3232

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2016
Minus one person on here, I appreciate the feedback and thoughts, this has been a civil conversation and that appears to be a rarity on forums and in general anymore. Many of you had good feedback and offered some pretty good counter points and thoughts. Much appreciated for the ideas, conversation and moreover, the civility.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I was expecting somewhat expecting some bugs with the X, but have been surprised with how solid everything has been. Face ID has been perfect so far and I could never go back to Touch ID. The screen is the best I have ever seen and I really love the smaller size with a bigger screen. For all the worries up front regarding the X, Apple really nailed this one. It's perfect.

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
Everyone needs to remember that the phone is personal to them, if they hate it, so be it, if they love it, great. Personally, I've done a count today and so far Face ID has failed first time just over 59% of the time so far. Unacceptable for me after resetting it 26 times, but for some it works flawlessly.

My biggest concern about people who have or haven't received the phone yet is why they seem think the screen is bigger than the Plus just because it has a bigger number. The screen could be marketed at 60 inches and sound as big as a TV but if it's as thin as a pencil that doesn't make the screen bigger. An extreme example of course but you get what I mean.

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
The X is not worth the upgrade IMO
I saw the phone finally today in a Tmobile store and boy am I glad I didn’t preorder it.

Nothing is special about this anniversary edition. Gestures are hideous, the OLED display is not much of a difference from LED. No Touch ID is a no go for me.

Nice built phone but overall nothing special to justify that price tag

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
The X is not worth the upgrade IMO
I saw the phone finally today in a Tmobile store and boy am I glad I didn’t preorder it.

Nothing is special about this anniversary edition. Gestures are hideous, the OLED display is not much of a difference from LED. No Touch ID is a no go for me.

Nice built phone but overall nothing special to justify that price tag
You’re not missing out. I think I spent a weekend?with it and HATED it.

-FaceID’s not consistent @ all for me
-some of the gestures blow, ie swipe up and hold, press and hold, finally slide apps up and out of the way :(
-narrow screen makes portrait reading a nightmare
-rounded corners succccck when reading in landscape (which I have to do because of the narrow screen)
-notch is dumb
-gets much warmer than 6S Plus
-PWM display causes headaches
-lame viewing angles
-thicker than I’d like
-too heavy for the size

All in all, it feels like a fail. Going with the 8 Plus walmart $300 gift card Black Friday deal.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040

$1500? $2000? $2500?

LOL
Apple is doing what they should be doing, in pushing tech forward. That comes at a cost and obviously people are willing to pay the price. But to suggest that Apple is taking advantage of people is just wrong.

The cost of most things has increased as technology drives improvements. It used to be that Apple had pricing that stood out as being more expensive compared to competitive PC makers, but now that these makers have been forced to improve their quality and design, the pricing often shows Apple as a value (I’m looking at you Microsoft).

Speaking specifically about the iPhone X, and any future larger sized versions, the assumption is that pricing will continue to climb. Just as it will with devices from Samsung. And the same will happen with refrigerators and cars. Another thing to keep in mind, is the fact that last years tech will do 5he opposite, and drop in price as new tech replaces it. That provides those people without the means or desire to buy into bleeding edge tech, a product that still is effectively a computer that fits in their pocket for a substantial discount.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
View attachment 731897

3. After 3.2 years of plus sized phones, this thing feels like a toy and is too small. The screen may be the “bigger” but it doesn’t view that way and it certainly doesn’t look that way with all the apps that haven’t been built for this screen yet. What’s worse, photos and videos I took on the 6 plus, 6splus, and 7plus, dont even accomodate for the “notch” so I have to pinch and zoom videos I shot on those devices to go “full screen”. When you eliminate the notch from picture or video viewing the screen is uncanningly small... I phone 4 small.

This is reason that I returned mine and went with the 8 Plus. I think Apple got a few of us plus owners but the rest of us will be needing that X Plus ASAP

Reactions: Sunnyday2017

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Obviously a Plus sized X would probably be the next flagship you all look at. Will you still buy considering it will still have a notch, gestures, Face ID, OLED, etc.? These are all things people have mentioned that they don't like about the X. This won't change with a Plus version.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I wouldn't want the notch on my tv screen. It reminds me of my glass screen protector on my old 6s plus. I hate the look of the notch. I will not get used to it on a $1000 phone.
Me neither, because I watch movies and stuff on my TV. I use my phone as a phone though, and the notch just extends the usable space into the corners a bit. Why people go on about a $1000 phone and the notch is beyond me - more the fool them for spending money on a device they don't like the look of. I couldn't care less about the notch, there or not it's just a phone. Right not it identifies it as an X, which in a sea of lookalike is something Apple should be applauded for,

As for the OP and saying the screen is not much better than the 8 plus. I beg to differ. Colour-wise both are great, but the OLED has better contrast and a much more natural looking image compared to a non-emissive display. LCD phones blatantly use a backlight, whereas with OLED you get an image that when calibrated properly in terms of light output, looks like the image is printed on the screen. It's not overly bright or vivid or harsh, it's just there, and looks sublime. The problem is, people compare it to older more vivid screens and think that brighter and bluer is better. Might be in their eyes, but not mine.

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
Everyone needs to remember that the phone is personal to them, if they hate it, so be it, if they love it, great. Personally, I've done a count today and so far Face ID has failed first time just over 59% of the time so far. Unacceptable for me after resetting it 26 times, but for some it works flawlessly.

My biggest concern about people who have or haven't received the phone yet is why they seem think the screen is bigger than the Plus just because it has a bigger number. The screen could be marketed at 60 inches and sound as big as a TV but if it's as thin as a pencil that doesn't make the screen bigger. An extreme example of course but you get what I mean.

If you have reset it 26 times you aren’t giving it any opportunity to learn your face. You are making it start from scratch each time.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Obviously a Plus sized X would probably be the next flagship you all look at. Will you still buy considering it will still have a notch, gestures, Face ID, OLED, etc.? These are all things people have mentioned that they don't like about the X. This won't change with a Plus version.
Of course those people who complain about the notch and Face ID and OLED will get the Plus sized X if/when it comes out. They are just using those as justifications for buying the 8 Plus instead of the X right now because they won't admit their buyers remorse.

Reactions: DiveKitty

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

I know you weren’t talking to me but yes absolutely I will buy it with all of those features. Didn’t have any issues with them. Actually a few with Face ID but I could have lived with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.