Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Guinness looks photoshopped.

In all seriousness, I've been using a 6s for a while now. I used to buy the latest model on release day every year but the 6s was the last one. I honestly don't like the larger sized phones and sometimes contemplate switching to an SE. I really like using a phone one-handed and even the non-Plus newer models make that harder to do comfortably. When the 7 came out and they kept the dual-camera design for the Plus model, I passed. I wanted a camera upgrade but didn't want the huge Plus model. The X has me thinking about upgrading since I can get the dual cameras in a somewhat smaller device. But I still think the smaller SE is superior to all of them for one-handed usage.

Reactions: lorello

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010

In all seriousness, I've been using a 6s for a while now. I used to buy the latest model on release day every year but the 6s was the last one. I honestly don't like the larger sized phones and sometimes contemplate switching to an SE. I really like using a phone one-handed and even the non-Plus newer models make that harder to do comfortably. When the 7 came out and they kept the dual-camera design for the Plus model, I passed. I wanted a camera upgrade but didn't want the huge Plus model. The X has me thinking about upgrading since I can get the dual cameras in a somewhat smaller device. But I still think the smaller SE is superior to all of them for one-handed usage.

If one handed use is the most important factor for you then the SE will be superior. I can reach most things one handed in my X. Reachability helps with the upper sections. I was super skeptical after the keynote (I am not normally) but I can’t recommend this phone enough. It is amazing.

Reactions: DiveKitty and KPOM

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

The X is a spectacular upgrade from the 6S+, so vs. a 6S I'd assume an equally outstanding result *while* retaining nearly the same sized device!

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I’m coming from the 7. The X has the screen of the Plus in a package not much bigger than the 7. As for TrueTone, it is subtle. That’s just because Apple already had great screens.
It doesn’t have the screen of the Plus. This has been debunked so many times. It’s noticeably narrower and IMO it simply looks bad in landscape.
[doublepost=1509807657][/doublepost]
So how is the Galaxy S8 better than the X screen? Is it because its in torch mode???? Where the colors are over saturated.... where everything on the screen looks cartoonish????
Higher resolution, higher PPI, much higher brightness. And the color saturation is completely customizable.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
1. Face ID- Works great no issue, frankly it’s impressive very impressive.

2. Screen is overrated. With True Tone on, there is minimal difference between the two. I was expecting some 4K VS HD difference, it simply isn’t there. The screens are both are good, but the X isn’t “OH MY GOD” better, at least to this 42 year old’s eyes.

3. After 3.2 years of plus sized phones, this thing feels like a toy and is too small. The screen may be the “bigger” but it doesn’t view that way and it certainly doesn’t look that way with all the apps that haven’t been built for this screen yet. What’s worse, photos and videos I took on the 6 plus, 6splus, and 7plus, dont even accomodate for the “notch” so I have to pinch and zoom videos I shot on those devices to go “full screen”. When you eliminate the notch from picture or video viewing the screen is uncanningly small... I phone 4 small.

4. My muscle memory grip has my hand always covering the Camera lense coming from the plus size models to this.

5. Animoji is cool even for a 42 year old I’m impressed, I sent the poop one 100 times today, but in a month it’s a gimmick, not a feature.

6. I’m attaching a picture of my staple Guinness and devices so I can’t be accused of not owning the device (seems a commonality lately for people who don’t like the assessment this thing isn’t the best device Apple ever created)

Thanks for confirming. I'm glad Face ID works great... I really am. I'll feel good about going for an X Plus next year.

Thanks for reassuring me with 2-6. Everything you've mentioned is exactly why after 3 years with the 6 Plus and 6s Plus I passed on the X and went with the 8 Plus. I feel even better now about my decision because I am 100% certain that if I had went with the X I'd be making the same complaints you are.

I'm with you on the screen. I keep looking at it and can't really see a huge difference between the screen on the X and the one on the 8 Plus. I expected a dramatic difference. The screen on the Galaxy S8 is clearly better than the one on the X.

Exactly what I suspected. I've said all along the LCD on the 8 Plus is gorgeous and I wouldn't expect to see a dramatic difference and most certainly not a "OH MY GOD" difference which the OP also confirmed.

Thanks!

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
So the problem is that Apple is using the S5 screen on the iPhone X while charging $1,000 for it... The S8 is only $700 at the moment.

Reactions: ABC5S

shelt

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
NorCal
Slightly different perspective coming from the 7 Plus. I'm over 50 and loved the large screens and fonts of the Plus series. I'm also a first responder so long battery life, water resistance, and visibility in sunlight are key. I didn't like carrying the plus phone with huge bezels - I use it one handed mostly.

In short, I'm very happy with the X after a day! Face ID is the future -- it has been flawless and invisible. The gestures took about 20 minutes to get used to. One key consideration for me is the big battery in a "regular" size phone - Apple finally prioritized that. Visibility in sunlight is great (and generally a weakness of many OLED screens). The water resistance should be great. And the phone is much smaller than the plus - a big "plus".

I'm not crazy about the ~18.5:9 ratio. 16:9 and 5.5" with the X design would have been perfect. The narrower keyboard is a tiny bit annoying, but I'll get used to it. Touch ID feels very old school after using the X. The transparent access is a big deal.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
The X is a spectacular upgrade from the 6S+, so vs. a 6S I'd assume an equally outstanding result *while* retaining nearly the same sized device!

Can you please share your experience on what is spectacular for you coming from the 6s+? The old OLED problematic Samsung screens and other not completey baked stuff on the X keep me from being too enthusiastic. Will ne glad to hear your feedback.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For me, I would rather have the best of both worlds, with my iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone X. At least I can switch between the two if I wanted to.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Actually the screen of the Plus is larger than the Iphone 10. You cannot just look at the diagonal size because the aspect ratio is different. Face ID works but touch ID is much faster. I dont like having to position my face to unlock my phone. Feels like a beta phone not ready for prime time to me. Side by side my X screen is almost the same size as my iphone 8 in portrait mode.
Touch ID may be faster but to me Face ID is more natural. It’s as if I don’t have security turned in at all.

I’ll be bouncing between the 7 and X for the next month while my employer tests the X’s security so I’ll be able to make direct comparison. For me even Touch ID 2 got a little flaky in humid conditions. It is convenient but not perfect for me.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Can you please share your experience on what is spectacular for you coming from the 6s+? The old OLED problematic Samsung screens and other not completey baked stuff on the X keep me from being too enthusiastic. Will ne glad to hear your feedback.
This is an Apple-designed screen. They partnered with Samsung Display to produce it and didn’t take an “off the shelf” design. It’s Pentile but I wouldn’t notice the difference without a magnifying glass.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I'm with you on the screen. I keep looking at it and can't really see a huge difference between the screen on the X and the one on the 8 Plus. I expected a dramatic difference. The screen on the Galaxy S8 is clearly better than the one on the X.
This reminds me of when I worked in electronics and we would show someone a demo of a perfectly calibrated TV next to one on Vivid mode.

It amazed me how many people would look at the two and be like "Oh that one looks way better" because it was on vivid mode despite the fact that it was completely inaccurate.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
This is an Apple-designed screen. They partnered with Samsung Display to produce it and didn’t take an “off the shelf” design. It’s Pentile but I wouldn’t notice the difference without a magnifying glass.

Im sure it’s nice. More worried about burn ins.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for confirming. I'm glad Face ID works great... I really am. I'll feel good about going for an X Plus next year.

Thanks for reassuring me with 2-6. Everything you've mentioned is exactly why after 3 years with the 6 Plus and 6s Plus I passed on the X and went with the 8 Plus. I feel even better now about my decision because I am 100% certain that if I had went with the X I'd be making the same complaints you are.

Exactly what I suspected. I've said all along the LCD on the 8 Plus is gorgeous and I wouldn't expect to see a dramatic difference and most certainly not a "OH MY GOD" difference which the OP also confirmed.

Thanks!
I would take these words about the screen with a big grain of sault. First of all, I’m coming from a 6 Plus. Second of all, I had an 8 Plus for 2 weeks before returning it. My friend still has an 8 Plus. Side by side comparison is jaw dropping! Some people don’t understand that you have to go to General/Accessibility and turn off Auto Brightness in order to truly see what the new screen is capable of! The 8 Plus screen looks archaic compared to the X! The X is way brighter, the contrast and white balance is in a totally different category as well.
Yes, the Plus screen is wider, but that’s about it. Everything else makes it look like a screen from the past when it’s next to the X.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hey maybe more disappointment since this thread is dedicated to it.....

I've demo'd the Note 8 and it is blazing fast and there are definitely things I miss about Android. In normal usage when you're multi-tasking already running apps it doesn't look like there is much of a speed difference between the two phones.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
the line at the bottom is annoying its in every app even playing games we know how to shut apps it should give opinion to hide it

Reactions: Apple Fritter

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
All said and done with Apple care and all that my shiny new 256 GB iphone x is hovering into the $1,400 side of the fence, is it worth it?

Think before you answer!

I have to say in this day and age, yea I guess it is.

My phone is my life, it's near me all day, it's how I market my business, take great photos all day without lugging a camera around, it's how I communicate with everyone I know via text, talk, email, and now animated emoji's..lol. My phone seriously is a very important piece of my life for a very long time, before the iphone it was the Berry that kept me connected, and before that a sharp thing called a Razr, yea I'm one of those people that really uses my phone for everything it offers from top to bottom.

Am I in love with the X yet, ehhh I don't know? I miss my 7plus a bit, I know the whole screen size debate, and maybe I could have should have given the 8 plus a half a look...lol

I just couldn't, I'm one of those latest and greatest type of people, and most likely in a week or so I will be fully used to the smaller foot print of the phone, and hopefully the battery in the X calibrates nicely and I wont miss the plus size battery I have gotten used to for the last few years.

Some may jump ship after a few days or weeks and run back to the plus model, most likely not me, and if I'm asked this minute if this is the best iphone yet, and is it worth the price tag (for me) I would have to answer almost a complete yes, because at the end of the day the pros almost certainly out weigh the cons for all the ease an iphone brings into my life!

That still doesnt tell me its worth $1400 lol...Especially when you had a 7 Plus.

I have a iPhone 7 and like the X but I dont think its worth its price tag, I may wait out until the next model If I can and get more use out of my 7.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Thanks!
each to their own I guess.

The iPhone x compared to my 7 plus is better by a good distance in screen quality and overall colours.

Reactions: TravisPNW

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I got my second Best Buy email to pick up my silver X today after being pushed back to #34 after my own initial mistake wanting to buy it outright but I'm now reluctant and it isn't for reasons the OP points out.

I just don't like glass rears! And like sex, I don't use protection! ;) Well, just a holster one. The Verizon lady on the phone called me a rebel but I told her I'm more of a phone connoisseur. I'm very specific with the materials they use. And glass gets sticky over time.

I also just saw PhoneBuff's drop test. Man, maybe the home button needs to return because it will not work if the front is messed up. The best thing from X is the gesture swipes but that is software-based and can be added for older iPhones.

If they add it for the older iPhones, they would have an advantage since a home button is still there in case the screen gets shattered. Go watch SuperSaf and PhoneBuff. You will now feel reluctant.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Hey maybe more disappointment since this thread is dedicated to it.....

Good many members rely on geekbench scores to determine that Apple is faster, but in reality, unless you’re playing games, the Galaxy note is slightly better. I don’t play geekbench scores nor games on an iPhone ever, so the results that you provided and other sites I’ve seen as well have shown that just because the geekbench is slower on the Galaxy, it doesn’t mean the phone is slower. Only factor to me is the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.