Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
A Mac is not a collection of processor, RAM, SSD and whatnots... it is a MacOS capable machine and it’s value should be evaluated only in this context.
If you dont need or desire MacOS, why would you ever even consider buying a Mac?

It is very simple:
Apple Mac = MacOS
PC = Win or Linux
No point in comparing the hardware specs across environments.

Are Macs overpriced?
Quite possibly, but tell me what am I supposed to do if I need to run Logic X?

Not for nothing, but remember those Mac vs. PC commercials Apple ran?

Macs can run Windows.
Macs can run Linux.
Macs can run Solaris/x86.

PCs?

PCs can run Windows.
PCs can run Linux.
PCs can run Solaris/x86.

The right PC setup can run MacOS (I got back into Macs via a Hackintosh).

My point: You're not giving either hardware platform the full credit and functionality it deserves.

BL.

StrawberryG

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
View attachment 731897 I should clarify, it’s not really my phone, I got the 8 plus and this was for the wife..... she’s not a tech nerd so I ordered this to test the waters I have a feeling it’s going back and I’m getting her an 8 plus as well.

1. Face ID- Works great no issue, frankly it’s impressive very impressive.

2. Screen is overrated. With True Tone on, there is minimal difference between the two. I was expecting some 4K VS HD difference, it simply isn’t there. The screens are both are good, but the X isn’t “OH MY GOD” better, at least to this 42 year old’s eyes.

3. After 3.2 years of plus sized phones, this thing feels like a toy and is too small. The screen may be the “bigger” but it doesn’t view that way and it certainly doesn’t look that way with all the apps that haven’t been built for this screen yet. What’s worse, photos and videos I took on the 6 plus, 6splus, and 7plus, dont even accomodate for the “notch” so I have to pinch and zoom videos I shot on those devices to go “full screen”. When you eliminate the notch from picture or video viewing the screen is uncanningly small... I phone 4 small.

4. My muscle memory grip has my hand always covering the Camera lense coming from the plus size models to this.

5. Animoji is cool even for a 42 year old I’m impressed, I sent the poop one 100 times today, but in a month it’s a gimmick, not a feature.

6. I’m attaching a picture of my staple Guinness and devices so I can’t be accused of not owning the device (seems a commonality lately for people who don’t like the assessment this thing isn’t the best device Apple ever created)
Thank you for your honest review.

Apple sure has become complacent.

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Oh please...Let’s stay real.
Hackintoshes are for nerds and possibly not even for them if they intend to do some serious work with a fully supported machine.
Yeah, in my old age, I can't handle rooting android or even a gaming pc...just not worth the hassle anymore. So I bought an iPhone...later an iPad...and now a MacBook. They work together much better than android and windows ever did, require almost zero effort to maintain, and have far better hardware overall than anything I've used in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.