Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I know you weren’t talking to me but yes absolutely I will buy it with all of those features. Didn’t have any issues with them. Actually a few with Face ID but I could have lived with it.

It was more for everyone, just genuinely curious if people who didn't like the X for all those reasons would be buying next year when the same negatives still existed.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
It was more for everyone, just genuinely curious if people who didn't like the X for all those reasons would be buying next year when the same negatives still existed.

Gotcha. Well in my case the positives outweighed the negatives with the exception of the size of the phone/screen/content. That was a deal breaker unfortunately.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Gotcha. Well in my case the positives outweighed the negatives with the exception of the size of the phone/screen/content. That was a deal breaker unfortunately.

What made it a dealbreaker? The only feature missing for me was landscape mode. I really didn't use it much so it was easy to move on from. Do you watch a lot of video?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
What made it a dealbreaker? The only feature missing for me was landscape mode. I really didn't use it much so it was easy to move on from. Do you watch a lot of video?

Oh yeah, I watch video constantly. This is actually where I consume the vast majority of my content. Except playing Call of Duty of course . That’s why I’m hoping the rumors of the 6.5” screen are correct!

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Oh yeah, I watch video constantly. This is actually where I consume the vast majority of my content. Except playing Call of Duty of course . That’s why I’m hoping the rumors of the 6.5” screen are correct!

Makes sense, I actually really like how video goes to all four corners on the X. It feels like you are holding all screen. I get it though as some consider what is cropped or if you are missing parts or whatever. I haven't noticed any issues, but get that it's not for everyone. I actually watch very little video on my phone besides an occasional quick video. My iPad Pro is for anything extensive. The X Plus seems like the perfect device for ya.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Makes sense, I actually really like how video goes to all four corners on the X. It feels like you are holding all screen. I get it though as some consider what is cropped or if you are missing parts or whatever. I haven't noticed any issues, but get that it's not for everyone. I actually watch very little video on my phone besides an occasional quick video. My iPad Pro is for anything extensive. The X Plus seems like the perfect device for ya.

Wait. A macrumors forum member that understands that we all use our devices differently so that means we have different opinions. And then does not proceed to tell me how my choices are wrong? Wow this can’t be right. Lol. Thanks.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Wait. A macrumors forum member that understands that we all use our devices differently so that means we have different opinions. And then does not proceed to tell me how my choices are wrong? Wow this can’t be right. Lol. Thanks.

Haha, it's a rarity, I know. Many would likely disagree with you and say I am horribly biased and can never see other peoples points of view.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Apple is doing what they should be doing, in pushing tech forward. That comes at a cost and obviously people are willing to pay the price. But to suggest that Apple is taking advantage of people is just wrong.

You must be an Apple shareholder.

Do you see the PC in my sig? I built it in late February when it was the latest and greatest. An iMac with MUCH WORSE hardware was over $1000 more.

Not sure if you've looked at iMacs lately here's the current 5k 27" specs...

Retina 5K Display
3.8GHz Processor
2TB Storage

• 3.8GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
  • 8GB 2400MHz memory, configurable up to 64GB
  • 2TB Fusion Drive1
  • Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory
  • Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Retina 5K 5120-by-2880 P3 display

$2299 for that? An outdated i5 with a whopping 8GB ram and a Fusion drive?

It was an easy decision to ditch Apple and go back to PC. I'm not sure about you but I have no interest in paying a $1000+ premium for obsolete hardware.

But please, tell me more about how Apple doesn't take advantage of its customers.

Last edited:

Applenoob34

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
You’re not missing out. I think I spent a weekend?with it and HATED it.

-FaceID’s not consistent @ all for me
-some of the gestures blow, ie swipe up and hold, press and hold, finally slide apps up and out of the way :(
-narrow screen makes portrait reading a nightmare
-rounded corners succccck when reading in landscape (which I have to do because of the narrow screen)
-notch is dumb
-gets much warmer than 6S Plus
-PWM display causes headaches
-lame viewing angles
-thicker than I’d like
-too heavy for the size

All in all, it feels like a fail. Going with the 8 Plus walmart $300 gift card Black Friday deal.

At the end of Day day it’s personal preference. I disagree on everyone one of your points except for killing an app in the app switcher. The long press to close an app is redundant.

Face ID has been flawless for me. Whether I’m wearing a hat, laying in bed, in dark rooms, it always works. The only time it hasn’t worked the first time was when I had on some ballistic Oakley’s.

I never tilt my phone away from me while I’m using it so lame viewing angles has not been an issue at all. I can’t think of a time when I would tilt my phone away while using it. Maybe if it’s sitting on a desk or something?

My X gets no warmer than my 7 plus did.

The X doesn’t fee heavy to me at all. I came from a plus though.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I love big screens. Just not big phones. Although the plus had the best display size for me, it felt like a brick on my hand, nevermind in the pocket. iPhone X is all I could have asked for. Large screen on a smaller body.

Applenoob34

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
I love big screens. Just not big phones. Although the plus had the best display size for me, it felt like a brick on my hand, nevermind in the pocket. iPhone X is all I could have asked for. Large screen on a smaller body.
Yea. It’s a trade off. I’m so loving the one handed operation and smaller size for pockets that I’ll have to think long and hard about the X plus if that comes out. For viewing videos the plus is king though.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Do you see the PC in my sig? I built it in late February when it was the latest and greatest. An iMac with MUCH WORSE hardware was over $1000 more.

Retina 5K Display
3.8GHz Processor
2TB Storage

• 2TB Fusion Drive1

It was an easy decision to ditch Apple and go back to PC. I'm not sure about you but I have no interest in paying a $1000+ premium for obsolete hardware.

But please, tell me more about how Apple doesn't take advantage of its customers.

Some people have to use macOS, so it doesn't really matter if it costs $1000 more or not right? It's not everyone that has gotten used to one environment for them to easily switch to another.

You and I perhaps this easy to do. I handle macOS, Windows, Linux, UNIX all day long, but hell if you tell my mother to switch from Mac to Windows tomorrow it's never going to happen. So it's kind of a moot point.

Don't get me wrong I'm not excusing Apple should be charging this amount. But there are similar computers from other manufactures that are also in this price point nowadays. If the iMac isn't your cup of tea, that's great. For my mother, she isn't going to start building her own computer anytime soon. I tried that already.

Not that you could really do much with the display out, but if you take the cost of the 5K display out of the equation. I have the Dell 5K for my personal computer, it was $1000 when I got it. The iMac is only $1200 for that hardware.

That said how in the world did you build a 7700k+32GB+dual 960+1080ti+Asus 4K for less than $1200? Just for reference, my gaming computer is similar specs to yours except I have dual 1080 and it's already more than $1200 for the GPUs alone.

Finally taking advantage of someone implies ignorance on the part of the consumer. Perhaps not everyone is enlightened as yourself or they just don't care about specs.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
That said how in the world did you build a 7700k+32GB+dual 960+1080ti+Asus 4K for less than $1200? Just for reference, my gaming computer is similar specs to yours except I have dual 1080 and it's already more than $1200 for the GPUs alone.

Finally taking advantage of someone implies ignorance on the part of the consumer. Perhaps not everyone is enlightened as yourself or they just don't care about specs.

My bad. I should have been more specific. My hardware was around $3500 not including what I spent on the Rift VR and miscellaneous things like BR writer and external storage HDD that wouldn't be included with an iMac anyway.

I went to Apple and maxxed out every possible piece of hardware on the iMac configuration to get it close (as far as specs go) to my rig and the price was north of $4500.

Doing it today yields a similar result:

• 4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • 32GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 2TB SSD
  • Magic Mouse 2
  • Magic Keyboard - US English
$4,499 for that and it's still not even close to what I built. Lesser CPU, slower RAM, slower SSD, lesser GPU.... for $1000+ more.

As you said though, to each their own. Some consumers might be ignorant or might not care about specs. Very true.

I had a PC... switched and ran a MBPro and iMac for a few years. Then I saw the light and switched back to PC. The value you get buying an Apple computer just isn't there. The only reason I don't do the same thing with the iPhone and iPad is it isn't nearly as big a premium to pay vs other phones/tablets.

Don't get me wrong... Apple makes quality stuff and I love how everything syncs with iTunes (my PC, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV) I just decided when it came to a new computer I was going to get value for my money. The only way to do that is to build it yourself.

Reactions: iSilas

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I’m gonna be honest, I am so glad I never have to use a Plus again. And I never ever thought I’d say that.

The iPhone 7/8 are so tiny that I never would think I’d enjoy downgrading to that size after using a plus for so long, but god it feels so nice to reliablely use one hand for everything. The size of the screen is amazing.
Amen!

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040

Retina 5K Display
3.8GHz Processor
2TB Storage

• 2TB Fusion Drive1

You sir are not a normal customer for Apple or any of the standard PC manufacturers and unfortunately you're becoming more of an anomaly in a market where the vast majority of people and businesses are not building their own PC's - and have not for the past 10 years.

Apple, due to their size and scale, can't simply continue to release new versions of the iMac just because a new chipset got released. That's not their business model and never was how they did things, because once again, most customers don't care one way or the other what chipset their iMac has. If you go back to the beginnings of Apple, the motivations weren't to have the fastest, bleeding edge components in their computers. But they did care how the components look inside their devices, which continues on today - something that a black box built-PC most definitely lacks.

You can be happy with what you have created and maybe even pat yourself on your back for making something better, faster, cheaper than Apple.

I know I would prefer to continue to work on my iMac (a now old 2013 21" model) or my 2013 rMBP, which also has outdated chipsets and slower solid state drives than current models, vs working on a built PC. To each his own, as the saying goes.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Apple, due to their size and scale, can't simply continue to release new versions of the iMac just because a new chipset got released.

True... but they could lower the prices of their computers to match the age of the hardware they're selling.

Of course they won't though... because people other than me continue to pay premium prices for obsolete hardware.

What does the standard iMac for $2299 get you today? An i5. Pay an extra $1000 and you'll get an older model i7.

I rest my case. :)

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
My bad. I should have been more specific. My hardware was around $3500 not including what I spent on the Rift VR and miscellaneous things like BR writer and external storage HDD that wouldn't be included with an iMac anyway.
Just out of curiosity does that $3500 include your monitor?

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Just out of curiosity does that $3500 include your monitor?

If memory serves... (March 2017 pricing)

7700k = $350
CPU liquid cooler = $120
2x 960 Evo 1TB = $950
1080 Ti = $700
GPU liquid cooler = $175
case = $120
mobo = $140
32gb ram = $300
PSU = $140
W10 = $120
Asus 24" 4k display = $350

$3465... keyboard and mouse bumps it over $3500.

So yeah. It did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knowimagination

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013

Retina 5K Display
3.8GHz Processor
2TB Storage

• 2TB Fusion Drive1

A Mac is not a collection of processor, RAM, SSD and whatnots... it is a MacOS capable machine and it’s value should be evaluated only in this context.
If you dont need or desire MacOS, why would you ever even consider buying a Mac?

It is very simple:
Apple Mac = MacOS
PC = Win or Linux
No point in comparing the hardware specs across environments.

Are Macs overpriced?
Quite possibly, but tell me what am I supposed to do if I need to run Logic X?

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Very happy with my X 64 GB SG. Everything works great. I especially like the volume and clarity of the speakers and the fact that both speakers work on calls, unlike the Pixel where only one works on calls even though they heavily advertise two speakers. It would be nice if the X was lighter, but you get used to the weight quickly. We need more apps optimized for the X. With all that said, I also have a Galaxy S8 and it does not take a back seat to the X. If you are looking for value without worrying about what operating system you are using, the S8 is hundreds of dollars cheaper and is, in my opinion, equal in most respects to the X.

Reactions: kirk.vino

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
i have No problem with the bottom keyboard “bezel” as I have no desire to develop hand cramps from a super awkward typing experience.

That said, the landscape keyboard is hot garbage compared to the plus...

xvi16yw.jpg

I know I’ve only had it one day, but there seem to be A LOT of concessions vs the Plus.
[doublepost=1509781422][/doublepost]
I’ve noticed one significant difference between the two...the X doesn’t feel like needles in my eyes after a few minutes.

I’m not sure if it’s still using a PWM backlight like S8, but it’s FAR friendlier on the eyes.

Oh and one more thing! Samsung’s ridiculous overblown whorehouse color gamut makes me want to vomit. :)
[doublepost=1509781635][/doublepost]i have No problem with the bottom keyboard “bezel” as I have no desire to develop hand cramps from a super awkward typing experience.

That said, the landscape keyboard is hot garbage compared to the plus...

You like to say hot garbage don’t you? What’s the difference between hot and cold garbage? Also, please explain what a whorehouse color gamut is. First time I’ve ever heard whorehouse used to describe colors of a phone display.

Reactions: iSilas

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017

I went to Apple and maxxed out every possible piece of hardware on the iMac configuration to get it close (as far as specs go) to my rig and the price was north of $4500.

Doing it today yields a similar result:

• 4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • 32GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 2TB SSD
  • Magic Mouse 2
  • Magic Keyboard - US English
$4,499 for that and it's still not even close to what I built. Lesser CPU, slower RAM, slower SSD, lesser GPU.... for $1000+ more.

As you said though, to each their own. Some consumers might be ignorant or might not care about specs. Very true.

I had a PC... switched and ran a MBPro and iMac for a few years. Then I saw the light and switched back to PC. The value you get buying an Apple computer just isn't there. The only reason I don't do the same thing with the iPhone and iPad is it isn't nearly as big a premium to pay vs other phones/tablets.

Don't get me wrong... Apple makes quality stuff and I love how everything syncs with iTunes (my PC, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV) I just decided when it came to a new computer I was going to get value for my money. The only way to do that is to build it yourself.
I thought it was a thread on the X, not the Mac vs PC LOL

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
You like to say hot garbage don’t you? What’s the difference between hot and cold garbage? Also, please explain what a whorehouse color gamut is. First time I’ve ever heard whorehouse used to describe colors of a phone display.
Hot garbage is used to comment about a product or service..."that stinks." Cold garbage is when someone instigates a fellow poster..."that's cold bro."

Anyway...

There's a lot of cool stuff in the X I did like. The gesture to go from one app to another and FaceID go a long way towards making the whole experience feel cohesive and natural. Having to physical tap or touch the phone away from the screen breaks up the process and feels jarring when going from X to 6/7/8. The displays accurate colors and deep blacks make this device so much more immersive watching the occasional movie or show when on the go and waiting in a line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.