Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XXX_0924

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
cuba
Apple Configurator 2
[automerge]1568941810[/automerge]
Anyone has tried iTunes 12.6.5.3 with iOS 13 ? It doesnt let me update my iPhone after downloading the firmware giving me error . I could update via iPhone directly but I'm afraid iTunes will not work after that
Any workaround ?
Apple Configurator 2

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Anyone has tried iTunes 12.6.5.3 with iOS 13 ? It doesnt let me update my iPhone after downloading the firmware giving me error . I could update via iPhone directly but I'm afraid iTunes will not work after that
Any workaround ?
I got hold of an iPhone XS Max with iOS 12.4.1 and I could not update it to iOS 13 with Apple Configurator 2.10 (3K49) in Mojave. It displayed this error
ios13.jpg

Better wait for iOS 13.1
The Verge: iOS 13.0 is out, but why? https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/20874884/ios-13-0-bugs-watchos-google-amazon-climate-protests

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I got hold of an iPhone XS Max with iOS 12.4.1 and I could not update it to iOS 13 with Apple Configurator 2.10 (3K49) in Mojave. It displayed this error

Better wait for iOS 13.1
The Verge: iOS 13.0 is out, but why? https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/20874884/ios-13-0-bugs-watchos-google-amazon-climate-protests

Thanks for the update: this is the same error I got
I read someone with an iPhone X had problems with a more recent iTunes about recognizing his phone after the update to 13.0

XXX_0924

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
cuba
View attachment 860641

Better wait for iOS 13.1
iMazing
[automerge]1569010023[/automerge]
Thanks for the update: this is the same error I got
I read someone with an iPhone X had problems with a more recent iTunes about recognizing his phone after the update to 13.0
iMazing

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I saw that iMazing could update it too , thanks ?
I tried with no success Apple Configurator 2
I'm going to experiment on an older iPhone 6s and see what is going to happen
UPDATE:
iMazing is not working because it opened iTunes and then I got in recovery mode: thanks goodness I just had downloaded 12.4.1 too and was able to restore it.
And I had Prevent iTunes from opening in the prefs but probably doesn't work when iMazing wants to check with Apple the integrity of the Firmware

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Update: iTunes 12.6.5.3 sees the iPhone 6s with iOS 13 done via OTA on Mojave as well.

Today I got an alert on both systems, while yesterday everything was working without the update.
"Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch"
I didn't know if it was going to mess up the old iTunes or my old iPhone 6s.

I had to do it at least on HighSierra and it works., but syncing the iPhone with new apps doesn't work automatically, you need to update the apps manually via iTunes ? or through App store on iPhone .

Sync tab still works but doesn't update the date under Backup Now: if you want to know the real syncing date you need to do a Backup Now

Because this is a thread about Catalina, I will not update it any longer. There is another thread where I post about iTunes 12.6.5.3 and iOS 13.

Last edited:
Reactions: bogdanw

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Updated version of the last script (post 50)
Code:
set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes dmg file:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/iTunes/Install\\ iTunes.pkg ~/tmp"
do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/iTunes/"
do shell script "cd ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg;" & "cat Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -i;" & "ditto ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg/Applications/iTunes.app ~/tmp/iTunes.app;"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleGetInfoString -string 'iTunes 13.6.5.3' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 'iTunes 13.6.5.3' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist"
set question to display dialog "Copy patched iTunes to /Applications?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
set answer to button returned of question
if answer is equal to "Yes" then
    do shell script "ditto ~/tmp/iTunes.app /Applications/iTunes.app"
    display dialog "Patched iTunes.app was copied to /Applications" buttons {"Ok"}
end if
set question to display dialog "Save patched iTunes as dmg?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    do shell script "hdiutil create -format UDRO -srcfolder ~/tmp/iTunes.app ~/Desktop/iTunes13.6.5.dmg"
    display dialog "iTunes13.6.5.dmg was saved on Desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
end if
set question to display dialog "Save patched iTunes as an installable pkg?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    do shell script "pkgbuild --component ~/tmp/iTunes.app --install-location /Applications ~/Desktop/iTunes13.6.5.pkg"
    display dialog "iTunes13.6.5.pkg was saved on Desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
end if
set question to display dialog "Save iTunesAccess as an installable pkg?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    do shell script "cd ~/tmp/iTunesAccess.pkg;" & "cat Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -i;" & "mkdir ~/tmp/a;" & "ditto ~/tmp/iTunesAccess.pkg/System ~/tmp/a/System;"
    do shell script "pkgbuild --root ~/tmp/a --install-location / ~/Desktop/iTunesAccess.pkg"
    display dialog "iTunesAccess.pkg was saved on Desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
end if
set question to display dialog "Delete temporary ~/tmp folder?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"
    display dialog "~/tmp was deleted" buttons {"Ok"}
    return
end if
Download
iTunes 12.6.5.3 https://support.apple.com/HT208079
iTunes 12.8.2 https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1977
I added an option to extract iTunesAccess from the original dmg. (discussion about iTunesAccess)
I think the best way to install iTunes is through the iTunes13.6.5.pkg created with the above script.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ideaprison

XXX_0924

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
cuba
Updated version of the last script (post 50)
Code:
set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes dmg file:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/iTunes/Install\\ iTunes.pkg ~/tmp"
do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/iTunes/"
do shell script "cd ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg;" & "cat Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -i;" & "ditto ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg/Applications/iTunes.app ~/tmp/iTunes.app;"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleGetInfoString -string 'iTunes 13.6.5.3' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 'iTunes 13.6.5.3' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist"
set question to display dialog "Copy patched iTunes to /Applications?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    do shell script "ditto ~/tmp/iTunes.app /Applications/iTunes.app"
    display dialog "Patched iTunes.app was copied to /Applications" buttons {"Ok"}
end if
set question to display dialog "Save patched iTunes as dmg?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    do shell script "hdiutil create -format UDRO -srcfolder ~/tmp/iTunes.app ~/Desktop/iTunes13.6.5.dmg"
    display dialog "iTunes13.6.5.dmg was saved on Desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
end if
set question to display dialog "Save patched iTunes as an installable pkg?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    do shell script "pkgbuild --component ~/tmp/iTunes.app --install-location /Applications ~/Desktop/iTunes13.6.5.pkg"
    display dialog "iTunes13.6.5.pkg was saved on Desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
end if
set question to display dialog "Save iTunesAccess as an installable pkg?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    do shell script "cd ~/tmp/iTunesAccess.pkg;" & "cat Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -i;" & "mkdir ~/tmp/a;" & "ditto ~/tmp/iTunesAccess.pkg/System ~/tmp/a/System;"
    do shell script "pkgbuild --root ~/tmp/a --install-location / ~/Desktop/iTunesAccess.pkg"
    display dialog "iTunesAccess.pkg was saved on Desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
end if
set question to display dialog "Delete temporary ~/tmp folder?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"
    display dialog "~/tmp was deleted" buttons {"Ok"}
    return
end if
I added an option to extract iTunesAccess from the original dmg. (discussion about iTunesAccess)
I think the best way to install iTunes is through the iTunes13.6.5.pkg created with the above script.
Does this solve the problem of app icons that are not seen on iTunes?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Does this solve the problem of app icons that are not seen on iTunes?
No.
A library copied from Mojave shows the icons, but Catalina breaks something.
The first app was updated in Catalina, the middle two are just as in Mojave, the last one was downloaded in Catalina.
apps.jpg

It is probably caused by the mess Apple made while trying to split iTunes into different apps. From the Console system log:
TVCacheExtension[1222]: objc[1222]: Class PDFToRasterImageRef is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AMPLibrary.framework/Versions/A/AMPLibrary and /System/Applications/TV.app/Contents/PlugIns/TVCacheExtension.appex/Contents/MacOS/TVCacheExtension. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
MusicCacheExtension[1221]: objc[1221]: Class PDFToRasterImageRef is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AMPLibrary.framework/Versions/A/AMPLibrary and /System/Applications/Music.app/Contents/PlugIns/MusicCacheExtension.appex/Contents/MacOS/MusicCacheExtension. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
CacheDeleteExtension[1318]: objc[1318]: Class AMSupportURLConnectionDelegate is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSPersonalization.framework/Versions/A/OSPersonalization (0x7fff9df8e0a8) and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x10e4cd0b8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
CacheDeleteExtension[1318]: objc[1318]: Class AMSupportURLSession is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSPersonalization.framework/Versions/A/OSPersonalization (0x7fff9df8e0f8) and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x10e4cd108). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Developer Beta 11 19A582a, considered Golden Master, did not delete iTunes installed with iTunes13.6.5.pkg. The icons problem persists. Visualizer doesn't work.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I am using both iTunes and Music. Is there a way to have Music only look at the ~/Library/Music/Scripts folder? It looks like it is checking on the iTunes/Scripts folder.

--> This might be a false alarm. Need to check more.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Apart from the AppStore are there any other advantages of staying with 12.6.5 over 12.9.5?
I'm only interested in the AppStore. If you are not, iTunes 12.9.5 might work better for music.
Here is an updated script to get iTunes 12.9.5.5 from Mojave:

Code:
set theAPP to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes app:" of type {"app"}
do shell script "mkdir ~/tmp"
do shell script "ditto " & POSIX path of theAPP & " ~/tmp/iTunes.app" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleGetInfoString -string 'iTunes 13.9.5.5' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.9.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 13.9.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 'iTunes 13.9.5.5' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.9.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "pkgbuild --component ~/tmp/iTunes.app --install-location /Applications ~/Desktop/iTunes13.9.5.5.pkg"
do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp" with administrator privileges
display dialog "iTunes13.9.5.5.pkg was saved on Desktop" buttons {"Ok"}

The script asks you to select the iTunes.app, makes a copy in the ~/tmp folder, modifies Info.plist and version.plist with 13.9.5 instead of 12.9.5 and creates iTunes13.9.5.5.pkg that can be installed on Catalina. The script asks for your password because it uses the ditto command to make a proper copy of iTunes.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I have had 12.9.5 running. It supports Dark Mode.
But for the world of me I cannot get AppleScripts to work - incoming and outgoing.
I have manually updated the tcc (it looks like Automation Approval is automatic for macOS supplied apps, but tried it anyway,) added entries to the plist. You name it.

Last edited:

ideaprison

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
Hawai'i
Anyone know how to keep 'Finder' from connecting to devices over WiFi so that iTunes can sync stuff to them instead?

iTunes 12.9.5.5 + latest beta of Catalina

Reactions: Jack Neill
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.