Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
But for the world of me I cannot get AppleScripts to work

Have you modified the scripts with the path instead of the name? See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-macos-catalina-10-15.2184518/post-27723268

Anyone know how to keep 'Finder' from connecting to devices over WiFi so that iTunes can sync stuff to them instead?

I think you have to stop AppleMobileDeviceHelper, Catalina seems to have two
AppleMobileDeviceHepler.jpg

Reactions: ideaprison

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
Okay so I got 12.8 going but there's no dark mode for some reason

How do I get it / the most recent version of iTunes? (12.9)

(I didnt do 'iTunesAccess', did I need to?)

XXX_0924

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
cuba
iTunes 12.6.5 still gives the same problem of icons in official Catalina? because I'm from Cuba and not yet and install the officer greetings

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
How do I get it / the most recent version of iTunes? (12.9) (I didnt do 'iTunesAccess', did I need to?)

Script to get iTunes 12.9.5.5 from Mojave https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-macos-catalina-10-15.2184518/post-27843550
Script to get iTunes 12.9.5.5 from the Install macOS Mojave.app https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-macos-catalina-10-15.2184518/post-27595192

You don't have to install iTunesAccess.

iTunes 12.6.5 still gives the same problem of icons in official Catalina? because I'm from Cuba and not yet and install the officer greetings

Yes, the problem persists.
The Verge: You don’t need to update your operating system right away https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/8/20903852/auto-updates-bugs-catalina-windows-ios

I'm sticking with Mojave.

Reactions: Lvivske and kazmac

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
Script to get iTunes 12.9.5.5 from the Install macOS Mojave.app https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-macos-catalina-10-15.2184518/post-27595192

You don't have to install iTunesAccess.

thanks so much, i ended up finding your original post and figured it out; again, thanks, i couldnt survive with this broken-ass Apple Music

edit: what's the best way to transfer over from Apple Music to iTunes? Just delete everything and let it redownload all my tracks from the cloud? It's a big download, like 100gb, any way to keep the MP3 and M4As I have already in my Music folder and let iTunes just recognize those?

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
thanks so much, i ended up finding your original post and figured it out; again, thanks, i couldnt survive with this broken-ass Apple Music

edit: what's the best way to transfer over from Apple Music to iTunes? Just delete everything and let it redownload all my tracks from the cloud? It's a big download, like 100gb, any way to keep the MP3 and M4As I have already in my Music folder and let iTunes just recognize those?
Just open Music with the Option key pressed and point it to the iTunes.iptl database. It should import it and make your music available. It still will trundle a while to resync the meta data, but it should not have to download all your music.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
Why doesn’t Apple just give us the choice? Stick iTunes in the App Store. Charge us, if you must. Or - if you are still the Silicon Valley libertarians who invented all this cool stuff back in the 1970s and 1980s, rather than the credit card dealers you appear to have become - make it free. All we want is the choice. If the kiddies want to stream everything over Apple Music, cool! And if those of us old enough to remember vinyl records want hard copies on hard drives, also cool! PS. The word “cool” is Shakespearian in origin. I use it to irritate my millennial peers.

johnjohn22

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
I'm only interested in the AppStore. If you are not, iTunes 12.9.5 might work better for music.
Here is an updated script to get iTunes 12.9.5.5 from Mojave:

Code:
set theAPP to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes app:" of type {"app"}
do shell script "mkdir ~/tmp"
do shell script "ditto " & POSIX path of theAPP & " ~/tmp/iTunes.app" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleGetInfoString -string 'iTunes 13.9.5.5' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.9.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 13.9.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 'iTunes 13.9.5.5' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.9.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist" with administrator privileges
do shell script "pkgbuild --component ~/tmp/iTunes.app --install-location /Applications ~/Desktop/iTunes13.9.5.5.pkg"
do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp" with administrator privileges
display dialog "iTunes13.9.5.5.pkg was saved on Desktop" buttons {"Ok"}

The script asks you to select the iTunes.app, makes a copy in the ~/tmp folder, modifies Info.plist and version.plist with 13.9.5 instead of 12.9.5 and creates iTunes13.9.5.5.pkg that can be installed on Catalina. The script asks for your password because it uses the ditto command to make a proper copy of iTunes.

Do I run this script from Mojave, or do I copy an iTunes app from Mojave and put in on my Catalina desktop and run the script on Catalina?

random-uk

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2011
Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to sync iPod Nanos using this method on Catalina with iTunes? (Cheers)

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Do I run this script from Mojave, or do I copy an iTunes app from Mojave and put in on my Catalina desktop and run the script on Catalina?

Run it from Mojave, install the iTunes13.9.5.5.pkg in Catalina

Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to sync iPod Nanos using this method on Catalina with iTunes? (Cheers)

You might need iTunesAccess, it seemed to solve the problem for other iPods https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/has-anyone-gotten-an-ipod-shuffle-2nd-gen-to-work.2196567/

Surenmunoo

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2019
New Zealand
Instructions for getting iTunes 12.6.5.3 to work on MacOS Catalina 10.15
1. Disable System Integrity Protection (Reboot to Recovery, open Terminal, run csrutil disable, reboot)
2. Download iTunes 12.6.5.3 dmg from https://support.apple.com/HT208079 (direct link https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/i...-B085-11E8-B6AB-C1D03409AD2A/iTunes12.6.5.dmg )
3. Use this script to create a package that can be installed on macOS Catalina
Code:
display dialog "Please select iTunes 12.6 dmg file" buttons {"Ok"}
set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes 12.6 dmg file:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/iTunes/Install\\ iTunes.pkg ~/tmp"
do shell script "sed -i '' 's/18A1/14F2511/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
do shell script "sed -i '' 's/gt/lt/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
do shell script "pkgutil --flatten ~/tmp ~/Desktop/iTunes.pkg"
do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/iTunes/"
do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"

set question to display dialog "Install iTtunes?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
set answer to button returned of question
if answer is equal to "Yes" then
    do shell script "open ~/Desktop/iTunes.pkg"
    return
end if
if answer is equal to "No" then
    display dialog "Modified iTunes.pkg saved on desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
    return
end if

When the message "This package is incompatible with this version of macOS." is displayed, click on "Install anyway"

4. Use this script to modify iTunes 12.6.5.3 to run on macOS 10.15
Code:
do shell script "sed -i '' 's/12.6.5/13.6.5/g' /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist" with administrator privileges
or run in Terminal
Code:
sudo sed -i '' 's/12.6.5/13.6.5/g' /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist

Notes:
- If iTunes hangs at the first start, force quit, disable Internet and start it again
- System Integrity Protection can be re-enabled: reboot into Recovery, open Terminal, run csrutil enable, reboot
Sorry to be a noob and ask a stupid question, how do i run this script, do i run this in terminal, i have downloaded the iTunes.dmg file and running catalina from the app store, i am using this on a mackintosh will it work for me oh and i also disabled SIP as well

Surenmunoo

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2019
New Zealand
Okay don't worry i got it working followed the instructions to change the 12 to a 13. but also had to change it in the version.plist. you must change all the 12. to 13. including the bundle identifier

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Sorry to be a noob and ask a stupid question, how do i run this script, do i run this in terminal, i have downloaded the iTunes.dmg file and running catalina from the app store, i am using this on a mackintosh will it work for me oh and i also disabled SIP as well
That script doesn't work in the final version of Catalina, please use this one https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-macos-catalina-10-15.2184518/post-27807492
Open AppleScript (/Applications/Utilities/Script Editor.app), copy-paste the code and run it (⌘+R). The script will ask you to select iTunes.dmg and will create iTunes13.6.5.pkg on your Desktop. Use that to install iTunes on Catalina.

Surenmunoo

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2019
New Zealand
That script doesn't work in the final version of Catalina, please use this one https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-macos-catalina-10-15.2184518/post-27807492
Open AppleScript (/Applications/Utilities/Script Editor.app), copy-paste the code and run it (⌘+R). The script will ask you to select iTunes.dmg and will create iTunes13.6.5.pkg on your Desktop. Use that to install iTunes on Catalina.
Dont stress i used your recommendation on change the bundle identifier in the info.plist, see my other post and it works, simple as coping it over from High Sierra, do the changes and voila ITUNES works. Thanks

random-uk

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2011
Reactions: bogdanw

T0mLewis

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
I tried this script https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...15.2184518/page-4?post=27807492#post-27807492
On MacOS Catalina 10.15

When I try and use the patched app it says:
Code:
The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now?

I tried the patched app, the install on the desktop.

And the other thing that generates is iTunesAccess.pkg on the desktop, but this dousn't work either!
when you go to install it it says;
"This package is incompatible with this version of macOS"

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.
And the other thing that generates is iTunesAccess.pkg on the desktop,
If iTunes Library.itl was created by iTunes 12.9, it can not be read by iTunes 12.6 or 12.8.
From other users reports, iTunesAccess seems to be needed only to sync older iPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.