Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
If an iPhone 8 does everything you need, why change? But it is an A11/2GB platform, so 3 years old in 2020. At some point you might want an upgrade.

So one option will be the “SE2”, an upgraded iPhone 8. With A13/3GB innards, it should be good until 2025.

Another option will be the 5.4” iPhone 12. It will A14/3GB (or maybe 4GB), have a couple rear cameras, FaceID, OLED for somewhere $599-699. It will be slightly smaller in width and height than iPhone 8, though thicker. This one will reportedly have 5G, but possibly not the mmWave frequencies (the ones that don’t penetrate walls) that are meant for high density urban areas and fixed wireless access.

You can just pass on the “SE2” in March and wait for the iPhone 12 in the fall. If it’s too expensive for what you get, check out the “SE2”. It’s said to sell for $399. Maybe one of those will appeal to you, or both—or neither. Hard to say at this point.

iPhone 12 - 5.4”

A14
4 GB RAM
Dual or Triple cameras
OLED
5G based on country. But same as Pro.
Face ID

Base model will probably be $749-799 or so.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
iPhone 12 - 5.4”

A14
4 GB RAM
Dual or Triple cameras
OLED
5G based on country. But same as Pro.
Face ID

Base model will probably be $749-799 or so.
Won’t be triple camera, that’ll be for the Pros I think. There are conflicting rumors on 5G with some thinking only the Pro having mmWave, which wouldn’t surprise me but who knows. I’m sure we’ll have some clarity over the next few months.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Won’t be triple camera, that’ll be for the Pros I think. There are conflicting rumors on 5G with some thinking only the Pro having mmWave, which wouldn’t surprise me but who knows. I’m sure we’ll have some clarity over the next few months.

If regular has triple, pro will have quad cameras. That is what the latest rumours indicate.

Kuo has clarified already 5G won‘t be withheld based on device. It will be location specific. So for USA all iPhones will get all 5G spectrums. The model is irrelevant. Either both get a spectrum in your country, or neither does.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I think 5.4" will be very interesting in terms of size and functionality. Maybe it can replace my SE

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
If regular has triple, pro will have quad cameras. That is what the latest rumours indicate.
That is definitely not what the latest rumors indicate. Kuo says dual camera on the 5.4/6.1 non-Pro and triple cam on the two Pro models. (The Pro models are also rumored to have a time-of-flight sensor.) I have seen zero rumors of a triple cam on the lower end models—or quad cam on the Pros for that matter.

Kuo has clarified already 5G won‘t be withheld based on device. It will be location specific. So for USA all iPhones will get all 5G spectrums. The model is irrelevant. Either both get a spectrum in your country, or neither does.
Like I said, there are conflicting rumors regarding 5G support. Chatterjee from JPM says mmWave only on the Pros. Kuo thinks all four models will have full 5G support in the US and at least a few other countries.

Kuo has a history of refining his rumors as time goes by. Only a week ago he changed from three to four models, with the 5.4 being lower-end instead of Pro. That change in his prediction then aligned with that of Chatterjee’s earlier rumor of 5.4/6.1 non-Pro and 6.1/6.7 Pro.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Can we just get a reasonably priced, decent specs'd, smaller iPhone without the notch?

Why is that so hard for Apple.
Not hard at all. In fact that’s literally the iPhone they’re rumored to be delivering in a few months. $399, no notch, same SoC (A13) as the $999+ iPhone 11 Pro series and a 4.7” display.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Thank you.

That would be nice. I haven't been paying attention to iPhone news.
Ming Chi Kuo has been calling it the “SE2”, which has upset a fair number of SE fans since it’s not the 4.0” they want. Some are disappointed it’s only a single-lens camera; hopefully it’ll be the same as last year’s XR. TouchID makes some happy because no notch.

March is the current rumor.

PostApple2016BrainWash

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2019
For the 99% of people that don't care about the notch, this is one of the dumbest things we have read in 2019. It amazes me that people are still whining about it. Have you ever even owned or used or looked at one up close? It's a non-issue; the real world doesn't care.

I know you don't care but that doesn't mean the people who didn't voice out about the bad-looking/outdated notch screen like it.
[automerge]1576488919[/automerge]
huh? you do realise there isn't a phone out there without some kind of notch? right now it's needed...and quite frankly it is not a big deal.

There are many smartphones in the market without an ugly notch screen.

edstyler

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
I had upgraded my Iphone 7Plus to iPhone 11 Pro Max, and I can’t say this device have awesome battery, camera, cpu, features, but it’s really really too big, and too heavy for usage. I have big hands, and I love big phones, but for me 6,5” and 250gr (with ultra thin case) is too heavy, I can’t use my phone without pain in hands, thumbs, very hard to reach screen with one hand because of weight and screen size.

I’m happy to hear that Apple will make 6.1” Pro model, that would be perfect size, because 5.8” is small for me.

And weight is really issue on all 11 Pro models.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Apple needs another Steve who can clean this mess Timmy has created.
Timmy’s doing just fine lol. You apparently have no idea what happened in the 90s. Dozens of SKUs, many the same model just with different names depending on the target market or sales channel. Not even Apple could keep them straight.

Apple almost went out of business, and Jobs created the four quadrant system to focus Apple on what it would take to save Apple. It wasn’t for the benefit of customers.

Apple still uses the four quadrant paradigm, but now they easily have the capability to offer more than one product per quadrant. That’s to the customers benefit.

People aren’t stupid, they can handle more than one choice. Ever walk down the cereal aisle at a supermarket?

It’s not all that hard, and it’s definitely not rocket science: smaller or larger around $700-800; smaller or larger around $1,000-1,100.
  • The smallest phone is the cheapest, with two rear cameras. $700.
  • The middle size is available in both two and three camera versions. $800/$1,000.
  • The largest phone is the most expensive, naturally it has three cameras. $1,100.
I’m sure there will be other differences, but that’s the basics.

People will basically choose based on their preferred size/camera/price, not necessarily in that order.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
No. It is not the right comparison since choosing a smartphone can be more complicated and expensive for the majority of the customer.
No, the analysis is valid.
  • People aren’t stupid, they know whether they want to spend $1,000-1,100, or if their budget is $700-800.
  • In either case, they also have a choice whether they want the smaller model, or the larger model for $100 extra.
That doesn’t seem complicated to me. ymmv

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
People aren't stupid but can be confused by the plethora of model and it's going to become more complicated with every new model coming out down the road.
How is it confusing?

You pick a price range and choose the larger or smaller model! It’s quite simple.

If everyone had $1,100 to spend, and wanted a 6.5” display, Apple could simply make the Pro Max and leave it at that. One model, $1,100. No choice.

Is that better? Hardly.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Maybe you don't see there are 6.1”, 6.5”, and another 6.7” model on the horizon. Apple could make it even more fragmentation with the 5G model that won't be compatible or usable.
6.5” is being discontinued. If 5G is only available in the most expensive iPhones, that makes the choice even easier. If you want 5G, you have only two choices instead of four. Which do you want? The smaller for $1,000 or the larger for $1,100? Boom. Done.

If you don’t care about 5G, you still have four choices ?‍♂️

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.