Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Yes, let's just move the production to another country that abuses its citizens instead of working with China/Foxxcon to get these people raises.
This isn't just about wages. It's about the instability of the Chinese government as it relates to lockdowns and citizens rights. China was welding doors shut in apartment buildings during recent lockdowns. It couldn't be a worse place to rely so heavily with manufacturing.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I don’t disagree with you, but it’s not just about cheap labor. China skill/expertise in manufacturing isn’t fully matched anywhere else. This is why there needs to be investment elsewhere.
This.
it has taken years/decades to build this supply chain infrastructure in China which some people don't seem to know or want to remember. And it was us who made China what it is today from an economical perspective ...

Oct 17, 2022
And yet, people will wait for it. We've always seen that be the case. It's incredibly rare someone decides they're going to switch just because they can't get an iPhone today.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You can tell Kuo wanted to max-FUD Apple by the fact he added that last part about demand disappearing next quarter. (Kuo, now part-time economist!)
I just checked Apple’s website and if you order a 128GB 14 Pro today expected delivery is Dec 29. There are 4 stores within an hour from where I live and none had stock.

I just checked Apple’s website and if you order a 128GB 14 Pro today expected delivery is Dec 29. There are 4 stores within an hour from where I live and none had stock.
Also checked the Las Vegas area. There are 4 stores here along with So-Cal. None in stock. I honestly think the iPhone 14 shipment has been halted or something. It’s crazy.

1669743509526.jpeg

Last edited:

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Apple screwed up big time focusing on the iPhone 14 when everyone wanted the 14 Pro and Max models. I needed a new phone ASAP and bought a regular 14 but I would’ve preferred the 14 Pro.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Apple just won’t move away from China.

Cheaper labor isn’t always better, hmmm?
Chinese labour isn't really cheap anymore. They stayed in China due to the infrastructure and quality of manufacturing, but labour costs are actually significantly higher than in many other countries in the region. I am sure Apple has been putting a lot of effort into moving manufacturing into other countries, but it's not as easy as some here may think. For example, India was a big problem for a long time due to lack of infrastructure and not only ineffective but also corrupt local governments.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
You can tell Kuo wanted to max-FUD Apple by the fact he added that last part about demand disappearing next quarter. (Kuo, now part-time economist!)
He’s correct. There’s a reason apple launches in fall for holidays. Not so people can wait til Jan-mar.

Reactions: EugW

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
This isn't just about wages. It's about the instability of the Chinese government as it relates to lockdowns and citizens rights. China was welding doors shut in apartment buildings during recent lockdowns. It couldn't be a worse place to rely so heavily with manufacturing.
India is no better in their treatment of workers.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
This isn't necessarily a bad thing though unless you're Apple or an Apple shareholder who's concerned about the near term performance of the stock.

This disappearing demand will help with inflation. And with people keeping their current phone longer than normal they'll be able to maximizing its useful life.

You're asking people to take a macro view rather than the "someone said something bad about Apple, REACT!" view which is... difficult around here.

And realistically, depressed iPhone sales may or may not have an affect. If people take that money and spend it elsewhere, for example (as Kuo seems to suggest), nothing has been solved, unfortunately.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
That's too small of a percentage. I wish it was 50%-75% of the production assembly plant.

Concentration of manufacture is part of the problem here. Apple needs diversification, not centralization in another country that has a history of brutal mistreatment of its workforce and labor unrest.

People aren't thinking this through beyond, "how do I get my iPhone for as cheap as possible 24 hours after I order it, all the time." Our voracious appetite as consumers is the other half of the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.