Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
So far Apple has managed to stay reasonably clear from all the shortages that plague many other businesses. It just might catch them out this time…

bmark

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Apple should have seen this production issue coming for a long time! Their inability to scale the factories elsewhere is mind blowing since they knew China was going to lock down the country again with their ridiculous zero covid policies/lockdowns.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Hmm...lets have a country puts it's people in covid camps, disposes of live animals in trash bags, pollutes the air and water to no end and that welds it's building doors/gates closed trapping it's people inside and then a fire breaks out killing many-all to stop a virus. Sounds like a great place to do business with.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Apple should have seen this coming years ago and gotten ahead of it.

Ha! Hilarious so many people believe Apple's manufacturing strategic planning and resulting decisions haven't been gamed out long ago in myriad ways.

Life goes on. Apple will do fine.

Reactions: I7guy

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Anyone with a shred of dignity should support our iPhone assembly brothers and sisters in China (metaphorically speaking) by furthering their cause.
They’re rioting to disrupt iPhone production to hurt Foxconn where it’ll be felt - their bottom line.
Want to help our iPhone assemblers out? Don’t buy a new iPhone.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Cheap labor this, cheap labor that, imagine thinking the thing about assembling tech in Asia is only “cheap labor”, and not also supply chains and industrial agglomeration.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
I agree and it's costing Apple millions in dollars losing in sales. The revenue will be lower.

View attachment 2120654

"Apple suppliers, including Foxconn, have invested heavily in India with supply chain infrastructure, factories, and training, for the last several years."

Lots of people just talk without realizing what it takes to move a manufacturing plant, which it's not. It also involves the surrounding infrastructure as that plant provides housing to its employees and the parts comes in from other surrounding plants, hence the infrastructure which needs to be discussed. That takes time, effort and money to move from one country's location to another.

Moving more to India where it's already been established is a likely decision.
But what's not mentioned is other issues like how the countries treat its people and how the companies can and will treat its employees in those other countries as well.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Disappointing news for anyone hoping for a 14 Pro for Christmas. I bought mine back in September, and it’s a great phone and well worth the wait.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
I normally take his reports with a grain of salt. But I know that at least for me. The delay has caused me to consider skipping the iPhone 14 and waiting for the iPhone 15. We will see how long it is before the available options improve.

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
I may as well wait for the 15 at this rate. I want instant gratification.

Also shipping to customer restrictions are awful. I went through Apple and utilized my carrier and it would be delivered on Dec 28th. Great I could have it sent to my GF's house while I'm away. Nope, can only be sent to my address on file.

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC

iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max shipments in the fourth quarter of 2022 will be "significantly lower" than the market consensus due to labor protests at Foxconn's main iPhone factory in China, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
Lots of American businesses have huge dependencies on Chinese demand, and more critically, Chinese production. But few even come close to the extent of the dependency that exists in Apple's case. If there is a conflict coming sooner than later with China, as I believe to be the case, Apple is in real trouble. As smart as Tim is, he has seriously lagged as COO and now CEO to diversify Apple's dependency outside of that country.

Last edited:

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Who was it that said to Tim Cook "make your damn iPhone is USA".

Seems maybe build a factory down in Texas along the boarder. There is cheap labor by the millions coming across the boarder every year.
The problem is not just the labor costs. It’s also the supply chain. Many components required to build an iPhone are not made in America any longer. Many of them are only manufactured in China. It’s a vexing problem. And one that Apple is going to have to deal with.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
I normally take his reports with a grain of salt. But I know that at least for me. The delay has caused me to consider skipping the iPhone 14 and waiting for the iPhone 15. We will see how long it is before the available options improve.
You be far happier with the iPhone 15 Pro Ultra Max God

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple should have seen this production issue coming for a long time! Their inability to scale the factories elsewhere is mind blowing since they knew China was going to lock down the country again with their ridiculous zero covid policies/lockdowns.

Apple should have seen this coming years ago and gotten ahead of it.
Must be time for Monday morning quarterbacking. Nothing is as easy as it seems or MR posters make it out to be.

• Disagree
Reactions: transpo1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.